Is There An Urgent Need For Bottled Water

smedly

as bottled water is running short in the north and pattaya supply lines are being shut down, should the government be more active now in maintaining the distribution of bottled water and even basic foods, forward planning does not seem to this governments area of expertise.

How does the water from the machines compare to the bottled water you buy? I go through loads of water about 30 ltrs a week and couldnt get any this week. They have a new water machine near me and thought I'd give it a try. Cheaper as well.

Edited by sunshinegirl

How does the water from the machines compare to the bottled water you buy? I go through loads of water about 30 ltrs a week and couldnt get any this week. They have a new water machine near me and thought I'd give it a try. Cheaper as well.

The water is produced on exactly the same way as the big companies do, this is just a smaller version of the same process, perfectly fine!

I only use water from the 1B machines.

You can get it cheaper is you live on Beach Rd or 2nd Road.

Water from the tap in this area is drinkable/potable. :)

The City Hall made an announcement a few months ago about it.

The Soi Buakhao area should be the next one, in 2012.

All the mains tap water downtown is drinkable, supposedly, if you draw it directly from the main supply. Most of the problems here arise from the use of tanks in many residences and other buildings, especially above the ground floor. Anyone who drinks water that has been in a tank here is out of his mind.

I go for the machines because they are always connected directly to the main water supply with no intervening tanks, so I dont have to think about what happens in between. 1B/litre is not excessive for filter/UV treatment and I dont mind paying it.

All the mains tap water downtown is drinkable, supposedly, if you draw it directly from the main supply. Most of the problems here arise from the use of tanks in many residences and other buildings, especially above the ground floor. Anyone who drinks water that has been in a tank here is out of his mind.

I go for the machines because they are always connected directly to the main water supply with no intervening tanks, so I dont have to think about what happens in between. 1B/litre is not excessive for filter/UV treatment and I dont mind paying it.

Tap water is not safe to drink. It may be when it leaves the processing plant but they use a low pressure system in Thailand as it's cheaper. Problem is that when water mains fracture dirt and bacteria contaminate the water. In more advanced countries a high pressure system is used so that the force of the water gushing out from a broken pipe prevents crap going in. Hence you see water gushing feet in the air from a broken mains at home.

During water shortages hotels and condo blocks buy their water from private water trucks who pump it out of the nearest pond.

Why are they out of their minds?

Edited by ES1

Of course, your whole thesis rests on the assumption that the filters are of correct specification, are properly maintained, and changed when required, a big three "ifs" in Thailand (or that they are even in the machine in the first place) :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if the machines you see all over town didn't have any filter at all, and if they did, it was only a sediment filter that has not been changed in over a year!

Edited by FarangBuddha

I only use water from the 1B machines. I never buy bottles.

Machine water is fine.

Since two local Doctors in Khorat told me the tap water was perfectly fine to drink I've done just that. If theres bottled water in the fridge I will drink it first but have no hesitation in drinking from the tap. Never have a problem.

During water shortages hotels and condo blocks buy their water from private water trucks who pump it out of the nearest pond.

Which of course is precisely why I specifically mentioned NOT drinking water from tanks. It has to come direct from the mains supply, preferably via a machine.

Of course, your whole thesis rests on the assumption that the filters are of correct specification, are properly maintained, and changed when required, a big three "ifs" in Thailand (or that they are even in the machine in the first place)

I wouldn't be surprised if the machines you see all over town didn't have any filter at all, and if they did, it was only a sediment filter that has not been changed in over a year!

This is true. I always go for new machines, and ones where the owner of the premises knows that they have been serviced correctly. The machine I use is about 6 month old, and doesn't get much use.

I would be wary of an old machine in a back alley.

Even so, as mentioned, the water is OK to drink straight from the tap, so there should be no real hardship if the machine isnt up to spec.