Will Yingluck Give Precedence To Reconciliation Over Politics?

Lite Beer

I am sure TVF is one of the red targeted outlets.

They just don't get the message exclusively to themselves.

The main target for Red Speak is clearly Thais, so there is little need to do more than target Thai leaning farangs here just to keep an eye on us for trends off message, and they concentrate on their main target on Thai speaking Thais. Via they several Red focused media sources. Besides keeping their message out of the worlds english language media is part of the plan to take control. No one will be looking that hard if they don't grasp the general deception. Target your propaganda where it does the most good, and keep it from being obvious where it can do a lot of harm.

Edited by animatic

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Whybother - qualtrough did make a plea for names, examples, etc of mainstream media.

For my part, I'm not aware of any in English. The only media (Thai) which I am aware of are currently print or community radio and the 1 TV station controlled by the shin family - but none of these are mainstream media. The only English media controlled by the red-shirt side would be the Amsterdam blog(s) on the internet. Also not mainstream media.

But again, please do point out some names of the red mainstream media outlets. It is always good for people to understand when a news source like (The Nation) has an agenda.

Unlike YOU of course that has no agenda hahahahahaha... god you are boring and seemingly can't read. What is "mainstream" to you does not mean it qualifies as mainstream to mom and pop on the farm in the red village.

You need to get some new material.. and some new clothes it would seem

It is with great irony that The Nation speaks of reconciliation.

But the money behind them seems to want to get away from floods and back to their old agenda of killing several initiatives. The strategy has already appeared elsewhere, but here it is crystal clear. They will use the floods and their devastation as an excuse to delay / to kill the minimum wage, the rice program, etc.

Watch this space. In 2 months if The Nation is still talking about long-term land/water management, deforestation, etc, and if they are not participating in "bad-blood" politics, but pushing for more reconstruction & recovery actions, then I will have been proven wrong.

That would be nice.

Hi Whybother - qualtrough did make a plea for names, examples, etc of mainstream media.

For my part, I'm not aware of any in English. The only media (Thai) which I am aware of are currently print or community radio and the 1 TV station controlled by the shin family - but none of these are mainstream media. The only English media controlled by the red-shirt side would be the Amsterdam blog(s) on the internet. Also not mainstream media.

But again, please do point out some names of the red mainstream media outlets. It is always good for people to understand when a news source like (The Nation) has an agenda.

Unlike YOU of course that has no agenda hahahahahaha... god you are boring and seemingly can't read. What is "mainstream" to you does not mean it qualifies as mainstream to mom and pop on the farm in the red village.

You need to get some new material.. and some new clothes it would seem

YellowCADfever, your insults are always so welcome. But I see you forgot that little part of your reply with lists of red shirt controlled mainstream media.

Please do add that ... and a couple more of your pithy insults for good measure.

Since she is the Prime Minister in name only shouldn't you be asking what big T will do. Yes the Red Shrit controlled media should stop spreading disinformation

Please name the mainstream media here that is controlled by the Red Shirts. Names please. Also, please cite examples of the bias. Since you are so well informed of course you can read and understand Thai sufficiently to detect the bias, right?

The red shirts have plenty of media that they control which they use to spread their propaganda. TV, radio, magazines.

Indeed, 2bangkok.com maintains an entire Red Shirt Publications category on his website that reflects this. An example is the current October issue of Red Power

Link to Photo

Red Power, October, 2011

Cover:

You don’t want to [be prime minister], but history will force being a leader upon you.

Why must Thaksin return to be PM again?

Jakrapob Penkair opens his heart in writing to Lt-Colonel Thaksin Shinawatra: “The heart lies far from home.”

5 years – September 19 – Open your eyes – The problem is not Thaksin – It’s ..? [this is meant to allude to someone who cannot be criticized openly - all of this is part of the build up to pressure the establishment on exonerating Thaksin]

The main target for Red Speak is clearly Thais, so there is little need to do more than target Thai leaning farangs here just to keep an eye on us for trends off message, and they concentrate on their main target on Thai speaking Thais. Via they several Red focused media sources. Besides keeping their message out of the worlds english language media is part of the plan to take control. No one will be looking that hard if they don't grasp the general deception. Target your propaganda where it does the most good, and keep it from being obvious where it can do a lot of harm.

On another 2bangkok.com reference from today:

The 50 Cent Party

Posted on October 23, 2011 by admin

50 Cent Party is a pejorative unofficial term for Internet commentators hired by the government of the People’s Republic of China (both local and central) to post comments favorable towards the government policies in an attempt to shape and sway public opinion on various Internet message boards...

http://2bangkok.com/the-50-cent-party.html

I disagree with your last part as it seems clear that Amsterdam's task is to promote a clear message to the english-language world, and in a very targeted way. And I also don't follow the logic of keeping it out of the english-language media as part of their plan to take control. Well done, serious "marketing" in a seemingly respectable media outlet would probably be a benefit to them, don't you think?

Now, if you are sure that the reds don't see a need to target english-language media inside of Thailand, and they have Amsterdam for the international propaganda, therefore they don't need an equivalent of The Nation, then that could be a reasonable explanation.

Finally, your first statement does sound far-fetched. The primary media source is The Nation, which does not have a red agenda. They often post TAN which is Sondi-news. Sometimes there is news from MCOT or the AFP. That leaves your comment to mean TVF posters, ... and that is really funny.

BTW, do you think that anyone pays attention to TVF outside of TVF?

On another 2bangkok.com reference from today:

The 50 Cent Party

Posted on October 23, 2011 by admin

50 Cent Party is a pejorative unofficial term for Internet commentators hired by the government of the People’s Republic of China (both local and central) to post comments favorable towards the government policies in an attempt to shape and sway public opinion on various Internet message boards...

http://2bangkok.com/the-50-cent-party.html

Well you have them in every country, every party. Mostly they are called PR agency.

I see you are doing your part for reconciliation.

Hyperbole, distraction and argument ad hominem. Perfect!

A personal attack as a way to smooth the waters and make it all better.

And distract from the topic of the OP.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by animatic

Since she is the Prime Minister in name only shouldn't you be asking what big T will do. Yes the Red Shrit controlled media should stop spreading disinformation

Actually, Moe never mentioned red shirt "mainstream" media.

It's always interesting that "The Nation" has an agenda, until it prints a red shirt slanted article, of course.

Please name the mainstream media here that is controlled by the Red Shirts. Names please. Also, please cite examples of the bias. Since you are so well informed of course you can read and understand Thai sufficiently to detect the bias, right?

The red shirts have plenty of media that they control which they use to spread their propaganda. TV, radio, magazines.

Indeed, 2bangkok.com maintains an entire Red Shirt Publications category on his website that reflects this. An example is the current October issue of Red Power

Link to Photo

Red Power, October, 2011

Cover:

You don't want to [be prime minister], but history will force being a leader upon you.

Jakrapob Penkair opens his heart in writing to Lt-Colonel Thaksin Shinawatra: "The heart lies far from home."

5 years – September 19 – Open your eyes – The problem is not Thaksin – It's ..? [this is meant to allude to someone who cannot be criticized openly - all of this is part of the build up to pressure the establishment on exonerating Thaksin]

Are you calling this mainstream? Think mainstream media Buchholz.

'moe666' timestamp='1319341044' post='4786663'

Link to Photo

Red Power, October, 2011

Cover:

You don't want to [be prime minister], but history will force being a leader upon you.

Jakrapob Penkair opens his heart in writing to Lt-Colonel Thaksin Shinawatra: "The heart lies far from home."

5 years – September 19 – Open your eyes – The problem is not Thaksin – It's ..? [this is meant to allude to someone who cannot be criticized openly - all of this is part of the build up to pressure the establishment on exonerating Thaksin]

As noted before.

They do not need,

nor really want mainstream media for their message to make it hand them power. Certainly no need for the English mainstream media. So calling for an exposé of 'Mainstream Red Media' is a red herring at the very least, or a juvenile strawman argument.

Or in this case a tangenting distraction from an argument that was being lost badly.

A few mags in Thai, one satellite TV channel with a national reach, a lot of local radio stations, and their indoctrination schools. Keeps all the propaganda slightly sub rosa for the world medias eyes, but keeps the base intact and pliant.

Edited by animatic

I disagree with your last part as it seems clear that Amsterdam's task is to promote a clear message to the english-language world, and in a very targeted way. And I also don't follow the logic of keeping it out of the english-language media as part of their plan to take control. Well done, serious "marketing" in a seemingly respectable media outlet would probably be a benefit to them, don't you think?

Now, if you are sure that the reds don't see a need to target english-language media inside of Thailand, and they have Amsterdam for the international propaganda, therefore they don't need an equivalent of The Nation, then that could be a reasonable explanation.

Finally, your first statement does sound far-fetched. The primary media source is The Nation, which does not have a red agenda. They often post TAN which is Sondi-news. Sometimes there is news from MCOT or the AFP. That leaves your comment to mean TVF posters, ... and that is really funny.

Amsterdam is the chief English language mouthpiece, alomg with a few other PR / Lobbying firms. The Red Shirt Publications (better described as "Red Meat") are soley for Thai consumption and posess far more fiery rhetoric and untruths than even the liar Amsterdam spews. They know no one is ever going to read what they write outside of Thailand except for a few New Mandela contributors whom are fellow travellers already. Nobody cares what anyone on Thai Visa thinks except George.

Edited by serenitynow

It's always interesting that "The Nation" has an agenda, until it prints a red shirt slanted article, of course.

that's funny - when WAS the last article favorable to the PTP, UDD, that was written by the Nation?

Once in a very, very rare while, they publish something from a guest writer which does not follow their normal story-line.

Now if you are trying to say that The Nation does NOT have an agenda, then, ... well, OK, .... I'll disagree with that.

- no it was not Moe, as I wrote, it was qualtrough. And I add my name to that list, because I don't know of any mainstream red media outlets that are like The Nation or the other daily. As mentioned in the reply to Animatic, maybe the UDD don't think they need such a media source. As he said, maybe the UDD just targets Thais, but there again, I don't know of a Thail-language mass-media outlet, either.

Obviously the UDD has its own cheerleaders / media - but mainstream ?

I'm looking for information - so if you guys have some good examples, that would be great. If it's just Red Power, and Voice, etc, that is OK too.

that's funny - when WAS the last article favorable to the PTP, UDD, that was written by the Nation?

Once in a very, very rare while, they publish something from a guest writer which does not follow their normal story-line.

Now if you are trying to say that The Nation does NOT have an agenda, then, ... well, OK, .... I'll disagree with that.

- no it was not Moe, as I wrote, it was qualtrough. And I add my name to that list, because I don't know of any mainstream red media outlets that are like The Nation or the other daily. As mentioned in the reply to Animatic, maybe the UDD don't think they need such a media source. As he said, maybe the UDD just targets Thais, but there again, I don't know of a Thail-language mass-media outlet, either.

I'm looking for information - so if you guys have some good examples, that would be great. If it's just Red Power, and Voice, etc, that is OK too.

I'm not sure what you consider mainstream. Every newstand that I see The Nation displayed at I also see Voice Of Taksin and other Red publications. I don't have any facts to back it up but I would guess their readership is multiples of what The Nation enjoys.

Link to Photo

Red Power, October, 2011

Cover:

As was mentioned earlier, as a new arrival to Thailand, whatever conception you have for what is mainstream seems to have little to do with what Thailand does.

These Red Shirt publications are widely distributed and the Red Shirt radio stations are widely broadcasted.

Just because the Red Shirts don't publish a Red Nation for you in English doesn't mean all these media outlets are not Thai mainstream.

So calling for an exposé of 'Mainstream Red Media' is a red herring at the very least, or a juvenile strawman argument.

Or in this case a tangenting distraction from an argument that was being lost badly.

Indeed it is. There's no shortage of Red Media covering all formats.

Ahhh... thanks for tracking down where this diversion to "mainstream" came from.

Several points:

1/ adding "mainstream" to the original comment is a strawman, that as usual you have pushed to the limit.

2/ there is very little red shirt propaganda in English because most expats are capable enough of critical thought to see it for what it is. Note that I said most.

3/ OTOH there are those that state " it seems clear that Amsterdam's task is to promote a clear message to the english-language world."Nothing could be further from the truth. Amsterdam is a paid liar and obfuscator, who writes distortions aimed at those with very little knowledge of the true events when not telling outright lies. The hoo-har over the "missing red shirts skeletons" was his work, as his book "Massacre in Bangkok" - you know its going to be good when the first word is a lie. Try to understand, he is PAID to be biased - there is NO clarity.

I'm not sure what you consider mainstream. Every newstand that I see The Nation displayed at I also see Voice Of Taksin and other Red publications. I don't have any facts to back it up but I would guess their readership is multiples of what The Nation enjoys.

That's fair input.

Mainstream are the NYT, IHT, Le Monde, Time, Newsweek, for newspapers/journals, mainstream TV, like Fox News / MSNBC, those kind of things in a Thai equivalent.

Where I see The Nation and The BKK Post, the focus is on English speakers, so the 2 are sitting next to the IHT and the like. This gives the 2 the impression of being mainstream dailies in Thailand. Like I said, in the English speaking world, I haven't seen it yet, but that may be for a lack of perceived need, or as Animatic alluded, on purpose.

And I would imagine that non-mainstream newspapers in Thailand still have a larger circulation than The Nation due to language.

(ps: as much as WE care about it, I imagine that none of the English-language news outlets is significant or important to Thai society... The only significant purpose is to serve as a reference to the international community which requires English language news. This is why I disagree with Animatic that the UDD doesn't need to target the English media wrt to their own marketing efforts)

Several points:

1/ adding "mainstream" to the original comment is a strawman, that as usual you have pushed to the limit.

2/ there is very little red shirt propaganda in English because most expats are capable enough of critical thought to see it for what it is. Note that I said most.

3/ OTOH there are those that state " it seems clear that Amsterdam's task is to promote a clear message to the english-language world."Nothing could be further from the truth. Amsterdam is a paid liar and obfuscator, who writes distortions aimed at those with very little knowledge of the true events when not telling outright lies. The hoo-har over the "missing red shirts skeletons" was his work, as his book "Massacre in Bangkok" - you know its going to be good when the first word is a lie. Try to understand, he is PAID to be biased - there is NO clarity.

several replies

1/ was not me who added mainstream, nor is it a strawman. Unless you feel that the reach of a media outlet is irrelevant.

2/ Those same expats seem to be completely blind to the propaganda from other sources. Honestly if it didn't work it would not be used, and your statement is just another way to say that "we" can't be fooled, but a cynical implication is that non-expats are not capable of critical thought and can be fooled. I realize that those are not your words, so I am not putting them in your mouth as it were. I am pointing out the implication of your statement, though. Maybe it was unintentional.

3/ Amsterdam is tasked with promoting a clear message - you hardly would expect someone to pay him to promote a muddled message. You and I have both read his stuff. He has a very clear agenda and he is very good at what he does. WRT communication, his job is to promote the interests of the UDD. His mission is not to be objective, and his mission has nothing to do with the job of journalism/reporting. The one thing I personally appreciate is the transparency - it is clear what his job and agenda is before you read the first sentence.

What I always despise in media outlets like The Nation & TAN is the masquerade, the disingenuous flaunting of the real meaning of journalism. Amsterdam is not a journalist, he's a hired gun.

I'm pretty sure that we see eye-to-eye on Amsterdam. As for the rest, I doubt it.

Sukhumband is the idiot playing politcal games. Obvious since Samut Prakarn announced BKK has been keeping the gates closed for ages

Edited to add: maybe the governemt should remove this arrogant fool from the chain of command. Right now it is political games to allow him to stay and make the democrat party more hated

Edited by hammered

Off topic posts deleted. If you REALLY wanted to help you could easily donate to the Thai Red Cross or some of the many bank accounts set up by the Thai govt, etc, instead of attempting to stir here.

Here are just a few:

http://www.redcross.or.th/old/english/donation/moneydonate_internet.php?sc=0046&insertflag=1

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Food-donations-sought-30168108.html

Prime Minister's Office

Bank: Krung Thai Bank, Government House sub-branch

Account Name: PM's Office's Relief Fund for Flood Victims

Account Number: 067-0-06895-0

Public Health Ministry

Bank: Siam Commercial Bank

Account Name: Public Health Ministry for Flood Victims

Account Number: 340-2-11600-7

For more information, call 02-590-7104-5, 02-590-7196

And why not try to return to the topic without the hyperbole, aggressiveness, nastiness and all the other components that are hallmarks of these threads and the denizens who frequent them.

Sukhumband is the idiot playing politcal games. Obvious since Samut Prakarn announced BKK has been keeping the gates closed for ages

Edited to add: maybe the governemt should remove this arrogant fool from the chain of command. Right now it is political games to allow him to stay and make the democrat party more hated

You're on a mission, aren't you.

No. Just dont appreciate politics over people and listen to what people outside BKK are saying. This guy is not only hated but if you are an anti-Thaksinista delivering everyone to theother side

1/ was not me who added mainstream, nor is it a strawman. Unless you feel that the reach of a media outlet is irrelevant.

You didn't add it. You just ran with it. It was a strawman when it was added.

Considering the English media has a relatively small reach, do you consider it "mainstream"?

No. Just dont appreciate politics over people and listen to what people outside BKK are saying. This guy is not only hated but if you are an anti-Thaksinista delivering everyone to theother side

So it doesn't matter whether it's true or not, it just matters what they are saying?

This guy is hated by those outside Bangkok because Bangkok isn't under a metre of water.

Do you really think it would be a good idea to allow that?

Is that politics or economics?

You didn't add it. You just ran with it. It was a strawman when it was added.

Considering the English media has a relatively small reach, do you consider it "mainstream"?

it is a strawman for you - it was a good question for me. You're allowed your own opinion, and so am I. And I'm interested in getting more information when I come here.

For the english literate population, inside and outside of Thailand, yes, The Nation and The Post are mainstream. I've made at least a few statements already why I think that. Do you think that they are not?

Reconcilliation over politics means allowing water to flow through BKK to the sea and nbot doing a Sukhumband

Governor Sukhumband was elected to take care of Bangkok. Seems he was just trying to do that. Others seem a bit more confused. FROC has just refuted to have issued a warning for Bangkokians to move belongings to high ground at least 1 metre after the government had ordered all water gates open to drain excess water to the sea. Strangely enough that just what PM Yingluck said on television on Saturday. The governor was the one to order evacuation of 27 communities after the order.

"Doing a Sukhumband' means doing the right thing it seems <_<