Loi Kratong 2011

SuperZozo

Good morning everybody !

Has anyone information about the schedule of the parades during Loi Krathong in Chiang Mai. ?

TAT sites are currently updating for the year 2007 and their page for this year triggers a 404 error. (Non existing page)

Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

below info from TAT ChiangMai

Schedule of Yee Peng 2011 (Loy Krathong Festival) in Chiang Mai, Lamphun and Lampang

1. Yee Peng Sansai (Lantern Release) Oct. 29, 2011 /17.00-20.30 at Thudongkasatarn Lanna Tel. +66 (0) 5335 3174

2. Yee Peng Lanna International (Lantern Release) Nov. 9, 2011 / 17.00-20.30 Limited participant only 1,000 people. Registeration Fee 100 USD at website yeepenglanna.net (100 USD included trasportation, dinner, lantern and souvenir)

3. Yee Peng Muang Chiang Mai Nov. 8-11, 2011

- Nov. 8, 2011 Lantern Parade in the evening from Thapae Gate to Chang Klan Rd.

- Nov. 9-10, 2011 Miss Yee Peng Beauty Contest & Kiddy Contest

- Nov. 10, 2011 Floating Krathong Parade in the evening from Thapae Gate to Prai Sa Nee Rd. till Municipality Office (white Pagoda)

- Nov. 11, 2011 Big Krathong Parade in the evening from Thapae Gate to Prai Sa Nee Rd. till Municipality Office (white Pagoda)

Call +66 (0) 5324 5032

4. Long Sa Pao Chao Wieng La Kon, (Loi Krathong in Lampang) Nov. 9-11, 2011 at the bank of Wang River, Lampang City

- Nov. 9, 2011 Arch Decorating Contest (Festivity Beleive)

- Nov. 10, 2011 Floating Sa Pao Parade from Behind Van San Wood Hospital to Yang Dam

- Nov. 11, 2011 Big Sa Pao Parade from Kao Jao T Junction to Nakorn Gate

Call +66 (0) 5423 7237

5. Loy Krathong Festival in Lamphun Nov. 9-11, 2011at Tha Kham Bridge, Muang lamphun

- Nov. 9, 2011 Small Krathong Parade from Inthayongyos Rd. till city moat

- Nov. 10, 2011 Opening Ceremony & Local Market

- Nov. 11, 2011 Big Krathong Parade, Kiddy Contest, Fire work at Inthayongyos Rd., Chang Sri Gate, Rob Mung Rd. and Tha Kham Bridge

Call +66 (0) 5353 0683

PS. Schedule could be changed please contact the given number or TAT Chiang Mai to confirm each activity

https://www.facebook.com/tatchiangmai.fanpage

Go grab a copy of the Chiang Mai Post Newspaper.

Fianlly Chiang Mai has a real newspaper that has UPCOMING events

schedules.

Detailed schedule of what is happening each day along with times.

Also has a schedule of the upcoming International

HOT AIR Balloon Festival on November 25 - 27th.

I'm surprised more people haven't been looking for a definitive schedule of events. This one from City-Now is pretty straight forward. It took me awhile to spot it to the left of the page as a Yi Peng Programme. Obvious once I read it though....

http://www.city-now.com/loykratong.php?lang=English

I'll be out with the rest of the city's sefl-styled photog's taking pictures of the parade and other events this week.

It sounds like there are three main days in Lamphun and that is how I remember it in Chiang Mai. Anyone know for sure?

Yes, clearly this festival is now completely out of control.

I could deal with one day, but THREE whole days is too much. I'm going to get some good books, DVDs and earplugs and ride it out at home. ;)

Just got back from the city. Loy Krathong has already begun! Saw people in costumes and partying in the streets. If the traffic was bad as it is tonight, I can't imagine how it will be tomorrow onward.

There are a lot of <deleted> out there throwing firecrackers at cars and motorcycles as they drive by -- watch out!

I just want to make sure I understand: the small floats are in the river ONLY on the 10th or on both the 10th and 11th? And do you find that during Loi Krathong people basically ONLY do the standard events or do they wander around a bit? Is the Old City the only major gathering place, or is there stuff near Nimmanhaemin?

My organization has been having an exhibition off of Sirimangkhalajarn. Closing date is the 10th (planned a while ago) and we've been talking about having a closing party, but now that I realize it's Loi Krathong I'm very worried about it being worthwhile. Don't want to spend too much energy or money on food if it's unlikely anyone would be doing anything not Loi Krathong-related that evening.

Also, I'd personally love to know if I could still see small floats either later at night (after 10PM) on the 10th or on the 11th (I know the big float parade is that day). Last year in Mae Sot the only part that I found really beautiful was the floats in the drainage canal. The fun fair and floats in the real river (not scenic over here) wasn't that big a deal, just claustrophobic.

look-THINK-this is Thaild-things are not run here to suit farang timetables.

Yes, you will be able to see floating kratongs untill the wee hrs of the night. They float whereever they can float-though CM is more famous fr its intheairballoons= khom. And for days/weeks after you will still see the sad remains of it.

In daytime there are hardly any/much activity-it is a thing for late aftern-eves.

For the=most Thai it is not even a day off, so they have to work till their normal times.

The reported jamtraffic=sun was more likely due to the sunday walking street.

Firecrackers? I am here fled the BKk floods-in BKK they are haam=forbidden and this is even followed up! This morning by 4.00 or so-right beside the house.

Hi Naugat.

Yeah, traffic and the # of events to distract around town this evening onward will most likely affect your party efforts. Many people will have family or coworker parties planned, and then a dash out to catch the parade or get to the river at some point. The parade lasts a couple of hours and there're plenty of places on the route to catch a glimpse of it. It's quite lovely usually and well worth a visit. My favorite are the 'forn tien' candle dancers.

Many groups who usually have gatherings/meetings on weeknights have cancelled them for this week. It's unlikely that your Thai friends would be so direct as to tell you to cancel your plans for the party, it's just that they wouldn't show up. So maybe just have some khanom in the office today for every one to feel a bit of party atmosphere, and let them know the party's cancelled. It will probably be a relief to them.

See you down by the river ! (- The floating of krathongs will go on until the wee hours of the morning.)

below info from TAT ChiangMai

2. Yee Peng Lanna International (Lantern Release) Nov. 9, 2011 / 17.00-20.30 Limited participant only 1,000 people. Registeration Fee 100 USD at website yeepenglanna.net (100 USD included trasportation, dinner, lantern and souvenir)

100 USD !! 3000B for a 40B lantern, a few dishes of chow a trinket and a minibus pick up... someones making a killing if they sell 1,000 tickets..

the floats are being set up outside the d k book shop for tonights mini parade to pantip plaza / chiang klan road ? area

and the opening ceremony should be at thapae gate at 6 30 ish ... thai time ?

enjoy .. dave2

Is there going to be another parade on the 9 or 10 ?

I miss it tonight due to the traffic. They close the street into one way and took me nearly 45 mins just to turn around nawarat bridge.

3 parades: 9, 10, 11. 9, lanterns mostly. 10, small krathongs. 11, big krathongs. starts around 7? from Thapae towards the river. third one always biggest / most colourful.

Any recommendations for the best spot to watch the parade with kids on the 11 ?

3 parades: 9, 10, 11. 9, lanterns mostly. 10, small krathongs. 11, big krathongs. starts around 7? from Thapae towards the river. third one always biggest / most colourful.

Plenty of room to move last night. Maybe bring some chairs and grab a spot on Thapae Road about 50/100 metres from the gate?

Plenty of room to move last night. Maybe bring some chairs and grab a spot on Thapae Road about 50/100 metres from the gate?

Thanks. Is car still passable to that road around 6pm or i have to park elsewhere and walk into Thapae road ?

Last night they were giving cars restricted access to Thapae Road around 6pm, and the road will be completely closed down once parade time is nearing. As suggested by WTK best to park in a nearby Soi/Road if you're driving. Only a few minutes walk away.