Have You Noticed The Supermarket Shelves?

khaan

Drinking and cooking Water from the Local Home Delivery Merchants in One Liter and Bigger Hard Plastic Bottles is Locally produced. Best to keep stock of these.

Bum Squirters are great for the No Tissue Issue, but if no water pressure, will need tissue or some water to help cleanse those delicate areas.

Even in worse case scinereo's, there will be local fruits, vegetables, and local ranch products.

Not ideal, but survivable.

Some posts carry too much information - this one was on the cusp :)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"After searching in vain for water substitutes, including ice and fruit juice, Porter reluctantly added 24 cans of imported American Budweiser beer to his cart.

It’s pretty expensive,” he admitted, referring to the price of Bt110 per can. “But Budweiser is about as close as beer gets to being plain water, so I think this will keep me hydrated in an emergency.”

Maybe he is just taking a dig at poor American beer, and I don't care for Budweiser, but I am pretty sure that the alcohol content is high enough to dehydrate a person, not hydrate them. If I am wrong please let me know so I have another excuse to give to the lady of the house.

Maybe he is just taking a dig at poor American beer, and I don't care for Budweiser, but I am pretty sure that the alcohol content is high enough to dehydrate a person, not hydrate them. If I am wrong please let me know so I have another excuse to give to the lady of the house.

You are wrong. In reasonable quantities, beer is hydrating.

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2007/11/02/Study-Beer-beats-water-for-hydration/UPI-75631194005695/

The quote about Budweiser is from a parody and not meant to be taken seriously by the way. ;)

Not only are the supermarket shelves in Bangkok empty in many places but also in Pattaya although no one knows

if this was due to locals stocking up or whether people in Bangkok have been shopping in Pattaya.

khaan . i have heard of visa runs from pattaya . but never midnight shopping runs to pattays for grocery shoping , james ps. pass me another sausage roll . no sauce

I don't doubt Richard passed on what he was told accurately but I do doubt that the girl in one office on one Moobahn sold 20 houses 'this weekend', when this weekend was but a few hours old on the Saturday ! Sounds just a little bit of hyper sales chat to me....like 'buy now because Bangkokians will buy them all if you don't'. Bullshit.

I agree, selling 20 houses in a weekend sounds like utter BS and of course Thai sales people always go OTT making it sound more ludicrous.

The people living in Bangkok, who have a spare 5 million to float around, live in Bangkok for a reason, mostly business. They don't just say "hey I'm buying a 5 million baht house in Chiang Mai this weekend.......hey I know, let's all go to this girl I know and we can all buy a house in Chiang Mai this weekend.......and think of how good that girl will feel selling 20 houses in a weekend for 100 million baht"...............Give me a break!

I agree. That's total BS. I'm not knocking Richard, but it's typical of Thai sales people to grossly over-exaggerate something like that.

You are wrong. In reasonable quantities, beer is hydrating.

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2007/11/02/Study-Beer-beats-water-for-hydration/UPI-75631194005695/

The quote about Budweiser is from a parody and not meant to be taken seriously by the way. ;)

You sir are my new super hero.

Not a drop of water - not a single drop, literally, at Tesco Lotus in Sansai. I just happened to be near there a while ago and a friend asked if I would pick her up a couple of bottles of drinking water. No beer either for that matter. Everything else looked well-stocked in there.

I go to the supermarket daily, and see the shelves getting more empty everyday.

Think by the end of this week if they don't find a way to get goods here we will be out a lot of things.

I also shop daily and do not have the same experience. Again today in Big C (ex Carrefour) on 108, they were very well stocked with all anyone would require as long as we are not alcoholics; in which case we should be visiting AA and not Supermarkets. Enough water to flood half of Chiang Mai, enough eggs to make pancakes until Xmas and enough toilet rolls to wipe your jacksy until next June !

• 1 month later...

Thought we were now back on track but it seems certain supplies are still very difficult to come by, even for those of us in the know. Been searching for dry sponge but it seems the nam tuam in Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit has made this a very frustrating task.

Where is the dry sponge in Chaing Mai?

Khob Khun

Thought we were now back on track but it seems certain supplies are still very difficult to come by, even for those of us in the know. Been searching for dry sponge but it seems the nam tuam in Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit has made this a very frustrating task.

Khob Khun

What are you talking about? It's really silly the way you write.

Khob Khun

He just wrote the Thai name of Bangkok :)

Khob Khun

Wannabe Thai

Wish I knew the Thai name like he does. Rattle that off at a national park or night club and for sure you will get the same price as the locals!

Rattle that off at a national park or night club and they'll think you're a loon!

Just google it, memorise it and you too can have bargains galore. biggrin.gif

Edited by uptheos

Khob Khun

I realize that but who is he/she trying to impress and who cares?

Khob Khun

Agree. Also we'd be even more impressed if he spelled "Chiang Mai" correctly.

Khob Khun

Is the gin bottle running low in supermarkets today? You seem uptight

Not heard of sandpaper being used for a subsitute for dry sponge before. I think it might be too abrasive mak mak! May just have to give in and see what the dry cleaners can do. Khob Khun.

Maybe Chiang Mai Plastic in Warorot market. Or Rimping seem to have most of their cleaning products as normal. Also there used to be a shop selling 3M products on Wualai road (not sure if still there though).