Multi-Entry Or Re-Entry?

Wentworth

I'm booked in to submit my annual Marriage Visa Extension this coming week.

I've been giving some thought as to what should happen if I need to go home for compassionate reasons. Can I get a Multi-Entry extension on my present visa in Chiang Mai or would I need to get a Re-Entry stamp? I would prefer to just pay the cost, presumably 1,900 Baht as a sort of insurance than have problems if an emergency happens. I live some distance from Chiang Mai and these sorts of things come always seem to come at difficult times. I suppose I could get another visa in my home country but I'd rather not - thinking about the time and expense.

You can definitely get a re-entry permit on the same day as your visa extension, just not with the same appointment. After you have the new extension stamped in your passport, go to the copy shop behind Immigration, get that new extension copied and return to Immigration to get a queue ticket and request your re-entry permit like you just walked in off the street. No need to make two trips and for someone who lives a distance from the office, it should probably be "standard operating procedure" to keep a valid re-entry permit in your passport.

If I get a single entry permit does it have a time limit to use? (Other than the expiration of the visa or 1 year extension)

I think it is good as long as the visa is good but things change and I am not on top of it. I get a multiple re entry permit and it for sure is good as long as the visa is good.

If I get a single entry permit does it have a time limit to use? (Other than the expiration of the visa or 1 year extension)

A single and multiple are good till the date your permisison to stay expires. Of courdse a single can only be used once.

The re-entry permit is valid for the duration of your Extension of Stay.

A single re-entry permit costs 1,000 baht.

A multiple re-entry permit costs 3,800 baht.

Bingo right on.

I just renewed my retirement and decided to hold off on the multi reentry. If I decide to leave the country I will get a single reentry. If I once again decide to go to visit relatives I plan the trip so as the 30 day visa when I come back takes me up to the day to renew my retirement.

Edited by hellodolly

If I decide to leave the country I will get a single reentry. If I once again decide to go to visit relatives I plan the trip so as the 30 day visa when I come back takes me up to the day to renew my retirement.

You can't renew your retirement visa if you haven't come in with a re-entry permit. -- it becomes invalid.

If you come in without a re-entry permit, then you just get thirty days like any tourist and have to leave the country to get a Non Imm visa to start the process for the retirement visa all over again......I think. unsure.gif

If I decide to leave the country I will get a single reentry. If I once again decide to go to visit relatives I plan the trip so as the 30 day visa when I come back takes me up to the day to renew my retirement.

You can't renew your retirement visa if you haven't come in with a re-entry permit. -- it becomes invalid.

If you come in without a re-entry permit, then you just get thirty days like any tourist and have to leave the country to get a Non Imm visa to start the process for the retirement visa all over again......I think. unsure.gif

Right about losing your retirement visa (extension) if you leave the country without a re-entry permit. Wrong about having to leave to get a non-imm visa to start the process over again. In Chiang Mai you can go from a 30 day visa exempt to 90 day non-imm "O" if you meed the financial and age requirements for retirement. Then after 60 days you apply for a 12 month extension based on retirement. No need to leave again, but you do pay for two letters from your consulate, plus additional fees at immigration for the 90 day visa and 12 month extension. Not to mention the extra trips to the immigration office.

Makes that 1000 baht for a single-reentry permit seem like a cheap investment so you don't lose your visa if you have to leave the country suddenly and don't have time to get a re-entry permit before you go.

Edited by NancyL

Right about losing your retirement visa (extension) if you leave the country without a re-entry permit. Wrong about having to leave to get a non-imm visa to start the process over again. In Chiang Mai you can go from a 30 day visa exempt to 90 day non-imm "O" if you meed the financial and age requirements for retirement. Then after 60 days you apply for a 12 month extension based on retirement. No need to leave again, but you do pay for two letters from your consulate, plus additional fees at immigration for the 90 day visa and 12 month extension. Not to mention the extra trips to the immigration office.

Makes that 1000 baht for a single-reentry permit seem like a cheap investment so you don't lose your visa if you have to leave the country suddenly and don't have time to get a re-entry permit before you go.

Thanks for the clarification Nancy - it does indeed make the 1,000 baht re-entry visa look like a good investment. smile.gif

Edited by uptheos