Toursit Visa Voided

:jap: Q: I recieved a tourist visa with 3 entries from Los Angeles last March. I entered Thailand several days later; one visa used and stayed two months, went to Hua Hin immigration and payed the 1900 baht for 1 month extension. Afterwards, at the end of the month, I exited and reentered in Rayong, i.e. Burma, two visa entries used. Did the same process for the second visa, only flew to PP Cambodia and worked my way back to the border at Poipet only to be told that I was only allowed 15 days because the visa was was dated to enter Thailand by the end of September, this was several days ago on about the 20th Oct.. So I was denied the use of my third visa and told it was void because I had not used it before the entry date of the visa? What up with this stupid crap, again. Am I again missing the boat somewhere after 5 years here in Thailand or is the officer trying to row the boat with only one oar in the water? The entry is 6 months out from the issue date with triple visa, so it is impossible to use all three within the time period. And, I entered thailand back in late March, I dont get it, SOS and any imformation from the pennut gallery would help.

Cheers

A visa has an expiry date, all entires must be made before that date. Any entry not made by that date will indeed be void.

A double or triple tourist visa normally has a validity of 6 months, indicated on the visa bij somthing like: this visa must be utillized before **-**-***. Judging by the information you gave it seems immigration was right.

From the website of the Immigration Bureau:

What does the Visa Expiration Date Mean?

The visa expiration date is shown on the visa. Depending on the alien’s nationality, visas can be issued for any number of entries, from as little as one entry to as many as multiple (unlimited) entries, for the same purpose of travel.

• This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel for the same purpose, when the visa is issued for multiple entry.
  • This time period from the visa issuance date to visa expiration date as shown on the visa, is called visa validity. If you travel frequently as a tourist for example, with a multiple entry visa, you do not have to apply for a new visa each time you want to travel to Thailand.
  • The visa validity is the length of time you are permitted to travel to a port-of-entry in Thailand to request permission of the immigration officer to permit you to enter Thailand. The visa does not guarantee entry to Thailand.
  • The Expiration Date for the visa should not be confused with the authorized length of your stay in Thailand, given to you by the immigration officer at port-of-entry. The visa expiration date has nothing to do with the authorized length of your stay in Thailand for any given visit.
  • Each time you arrive at the port-of-entry, an immigration officer decides whether to allow you to enter and how long you can stay. Only the immigration officer has the authority to permit you to enter Thailand.

"What up with this stupid crap, again."

"Am I again missing the boat somewhere after 5 years here in Thailand..."

What, you've missed the boat before?

"I exited and reentered in Rayong, i.e. Burma..."

Is that supposed to be 'Ranong'?

If you plan well, you can get almost 9 months from a triple entry. You might lose a little time off the second thirty day extension, but it can be done.

:rolleyes:

No, sorry to say they were right and you missed one important detail.

You had a triple entry visa i take it.

When you got that visa there should have been a date stamped "use before ...date..." or such similar language.

Although it is often not clearly explained by the Thai consulate what that date means is that all three entries of that triple entry visa must be used before that date.

You, if I read your post correctly, did two entries with a 30 day extension on each of those two entries.

Then when you went for your third entry the Thai immigration officer saw that date and relised you couln't get that third entry...because after that "must be used before...date.." you voided your third entry once it hadn't been used by that date.

I agree that they should have explained this to you earlier at the consulate where you originally recieved that visa.

But they didn't, and unfortunately you lost your third entry.

That's why when you get such a visa it's VITAL for you to check that "must be used before" date...and make your travel visa-run plans accordingly.

If you had done that border run to Cambodia (I believe that's what you posted) only one day before that expiration date...you would have been stamped back in for 60 days. Then even though your visa expired the next day, that entry stamp would have allowed you to legally stay in Thailand that extra 60 days.

:whistling:

I think there is not much to explain.

The fact that most people extend their stay after 60 days with another 30 days is not of the issuer's concern.

Normally, a triple entry is issued to stay up to 6 months and not 9 months.

Or am I missing a boat here?

A triple entry tourist visa can be used to stay in Thailand for close to nine months [(60+30 days) x 3 entries] if all entries/extensions are obtained. The third and final entry must be made before the "Use Before" or expiration date of the visa.