Volvo 245

monty

Anybody around here have a Volvo 200 series?

I have a 245 with the B230F engine and it seems my injection system is getting confused sometimes.

It uses an airflow meter, combined with a lambda sensor in the exhaust to decide how much fuel to inject.

At the moment it's still running, but it injects to much fuel, resulting in poor mileage and smoke from the exhaust.

So anybody an idea where I can finf replacements for these parts???

Hi Monty

We used to have a fleet of these cars and your problem is not unusual.

First before looking for parts all of which you can buy in Bangkok buy a tin of carb cleaner.

Check and clean all the breather pipes, then spray and clean the induction chambers with carb cleaner as these cars like many others do tend to clog up.

If you are lucky you may even try a fuel additive as there are many on the market today that do a really good job of cleaning the fuel system including injectors.

Mike.

Thanks Mike,

I've been browsing the Volvo forums as well and it seems these injection systems tend to get a bit trouble some over time!

Supposedly the main culprits are either the airflow meter or the lambda (oxigen) sensor in the exhaust manifold.

Without these inputs the injection computer injects wrong amounts of fuel.

I don't think it's clogged up lines/injectors, since it runs perfect most of the time, only sometimes it acts up a bit...

Good to know the parts are available locally.

Love the car though, still looks stylish and in excellent condition after 23 years and 230000km of hitting the Thai roads :o

Cleaning all the breather pipes and the works won't hurt I guess...

post-4701-1132111005_thumb.jpg

found a faulty injector!

It was slowly seeping fuel into the intake manifold when there was pressure on the fuelbar, resulting in a flooded engine when the contact was left on for a couple of minutes without the engine running.

Probably also the reason for the rich running.

Guess will have them all pulled out and checked/cleaned or replaced (less then 1000 Baht each)

something to wathc for on those cars.

I believe they have 2 fuel pumps, one in the tank and one up in the engine bay.

The one in the tank can give up over time. The symptom will be ther car runs just fun, up until you get less than half a tank of gas in the car. After that the car will keep feeling as though you are out of gas.

Then you will have to replace the fule pump in the tank. At least this was the case for my Volvo 240. I have around four of those cars. Tanks, they were, but sure were gutless.

Indeed, that pump in the fuel tank sure can give problems. Easily checked by measuring the fuel pressure, should be around 70psi.

The injector is replaced now, car runs like a dream again :o

The second fuelpump is located underneath the car, almost under the passenger seat. With this one the pump is unlikely to give trouble, but the relay controling it will get you annoyed sooner or later.

Dirty contacts will give you a car which sometimes will start and sometimes will do nothing...

Edited by monty

'

It seems to be quite popular to install a 2.5 liter or 3 liter in-line-six, 24 valve Toyota engine in Volvo 240, 740 and 940 series. The cost of second-hand engine fully installed is abt. 30 - 40 K and they work very well with no complications.

I have one of these and do like the strong and roomy Volvo chassis with really peppy Toyota ultra-reliable engine.

'

Edited by Far Angst

The Volvo engine is indeed a pretty strong piece of machinery!

It's not the engine which gives you troubles, but all the things around it to keep it going (injection, ignition, etc...)

I'm not sure I would like a 24 valve engine in my volvo, the thing weighs 2 ton but manages to drive very smooth because the original Volvo engine has a lot of torque at low revs.

With a high revving toyota, you would need a kickdown each and every time you require some acceleration...

In my car the engine seldom goes above 2500 rpm while still giving decent acceleration, and a very acceptable mileage of over 8km/liter...

The Volvo engine is indeed a pretty strong piece of machinery!

It's not the engine which gives you troubles, but all the things around it to keep it going (injection, ignition, etc...)

I'm not sure I would like a 24 valve engine in my volvo, the thing weighs 2 ton but manages to drive very smooth because the original Volvo engine has a lot of torque at low revs.

With a high revving toyota, you would need a kickdown each and every time you require some acceleration...

In my car the engine seldom goes above 2500 rpm while still giving decent acceleration, and a very acceptable mileage of over 8km/liter...

Have you tried one? My Volta (Volvo+Toyota) feels better than any previous Volvo I have had. Again, might just be me.

See the ADAC statistics about the various brand reliabilities. That'll make you think.

Edited by Far Angst

Haven't driven a volta yet :D (nor a volbischi...)

As long as my engine runs or is repairable for under a couple of thousands of Baht the car will stay a true Volvo!

It's got only 230000km on the clock, which is not very high for those engines.

If it realy gives out, I might seriously consider int transforming it into a Volta, since the body is still in excellent condition. Even the current Volvo's aren't that strong anymore (and heavy :o )

> Love the car though, still looks stylish and in

> excellent condition after 23 years and 230000km of

> hitting the Thai roads

Well, I'd love it to bits too, but even back in 1982 this car wasn't stylish! They're not supposed to be stylish! Calling it stylish almost sounds disrespectful.. :o How about 'timeless' instead? :D

---

> In my car the engine seldom goes above 2500 rpm while still

> giving decent acceleration, and a very acceptable mileage

> of over 8km/liter...

Ouch... I wonder if you could have a diesel engine fitted? Not that many car-diesel engines around in Thailand of course. But 8km/liter.. ouch! Pick up trucks weigh about the same right and they do 16km/liter if you try hard. That's a big difference.. Plus diesel is a cheaper fuel, of course.

--

> My Volta (Volvo+Toyota)

Toy-vo! :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Even a pick-up is at least half a ton lighter...

Toyota Tiger 4 doors 4X4 weighs about 1450 kg versus the 1985 kg of the Volvo...

My friend had a tiger for a while and was happy to get 10km/liter, hel_l even a Soluna or City might just get 16km/liter, if you have a very very light right foot!

Honda claims a mileage of 15km/liter for the city, and most tests/reviews indicate around 11-12km/liter...

16km/liter equals only 6.25 liters/100 km. I think only hibryds or the smallest diesel cars can get that mileage, and only in test circomstances, not practical driving....

Almost none of the car manufactures claim such good mileages, and they are notoriously optimistic :D

Hey, and try driving a Benz 500 sec of 25 years old, you'd be happy to get a mileage of 4km/liter (rougly 25 liters/100km) :o

The MAF sensor (airflow) works OK. Good power when you floor the pedal. Wouldn't happen with a faulty sensor.

Indeed the o2 sensor (Lambda) might be bust. This is where the fine tuning of the mixture happens. Unfortunately this is quite an expensive piece.

On top of this, on the Volvo the put it in an extremely hard to reach place :o

It does run rich, not extremely, but rich nevertheless, a little bit of smoke and a fuel smell at the exhaust are tell tale signs. The spark plugs staying clean tells me it is not extremely bad though.