Why Do Foreigners Criticize Thailand?

Felix Lynn

On the next Thailand Today,

An answer to a question that bedevils Thais when they hear foreigners criticize Thailand: The question: Why are foreigners so negative about Thailand? The answer: On the next Thailand Today…

Also, a new tempting method of drugging and robbing unsuspecting “Johns...” Well, maybe tempting for some and maybe nauseating for others.

That and the rebroadcast of my interview with Bangkok’s own certified hypno-therapist John Krukowski, on the next Thailand Today, each weekday at 3pm, 9pm, 3am, and 9am, only on http://www.radiobangkok.net

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An answer to a question that bedevils Thais when they hear foreigners criticize Thailand: The question: Why are foreigners so negative about Thailand? The answer: On the next Thailand Today…

I'd like to see a transcript of that posted as a thread here... it would make for interesting reading (and replies... :o )

An answer to a question that bedevils Thais when they hear foreigners criticize Thailand: The question: Why are foreigners so negative about Thailand?

Felix, farang criticize Thailand due to FEAR.

Perhaps your question should be "why do farang FEAR Thailand?"

I can see why the guy, who was a accountant for tescos for 30 years in Bognor Regis, has a fear and has to constantly criticize the Thais' ways of doing things.

It seems to me that it is the retired guy who do all the criticizing, as they have been so narrow-minded over so many years. They decide to take a "huge risk" and move to Thailand and expect the Thais to want to eat yorkshire puddings and drink Thaekstons 'Old peculiar'. These guys are SCARED.

That people criticize should not be seen as a necessarily bad thing.

I'm critical of the things I care about. Road Safety, Corruption, Educational Standards, Standards of Service.

Nothing that could not be improved and nothing that if improved would not benefit everyone in Thailand.

I'm critical of the things I care about. Road Safety, Corruption, Educational Standards, Standards of Service..........

I agree if we are'nt critical of the things that matter to us there is a much greater chance of them deteriorating than improving.

Constructive criticism can be a good thing if it is conveyed properly, has the potential to result in improvement and the party on the recieving end of the criticism is receptive to it.

However sometimes people will criticize things and people just to feel they or their ideas are superior.

An answer to a question that bedevils Thais when they hear foreigners criticize Thailand: The question: Why are foreigners so negative about Thailand?

I can see why the guy, who was a accountant for tescos for 30 years in Bognor Regis, has a fear and has to constantly criticize the Thais' ways of doing things.

It seems to me that it is the retired guy who do all the criticizing, as they have been so narrow-minded over so many years. They decide to take a "huge risk" and move to Thailand and expect the Thais to want to eat yorkshire puddings and drink Thaekstons 'Old peculiar'. These guys are SCARED.

Are you Thai, Neeranam (="Anonymous")? You do post some rubbish at times. :o

The actual reason, as most posters have said, is because we care about the place.

Are you Thai, Neeranam (="Anonymous")? You do post some rubbish at times. :o

The actual reason, as most posters have said, is because we care about the place.

This true or why else would someone want/strive to live in a place they hate so much?

Ever notice that most folks the really "hate" the country they are born in and grew up in hate thailand too.

When I hear somesone talking down LOS I politely ask, where are you from? They say, USA, Europe, oh, how was that, "oh I hated it" I just smile knowen that they hate life itself, so it comes down to "you take you with you"

Felix, the best part of tonight's show was when you "deviated" from the script and said "Deep kissing a katoey! What's that all about? Can't you just give him a peck on the cheek?" (or words to that effect). That was brilliant! - I think the real Felix Lynn came out then! :D

Have you ever thought of getting someone else to join you in the studio? The "monologue" style of presenting the program could then become more like two people chatting and making jokes. Might be easier to do?

You've got a convert. Looking forward to the next program :o

To me, it certainly sounds like corrective criticism and not being negative. However some of the things they do, seem to defy logic. I myself started a thread a few weeks back asking the same question. I truly feel it has a lot to do with corruption. I have seen plenty of common sense opportunities that were passed up while figuring out how to skim (or so it would seem.) I guess it is hard to climb the ladder of success when you hands are in someone’s pockets.

I guess I'm one of the odd ones, I don't hate my country, I don't live there because my husband lives here, not because I was fleeing something I disliked.

Certainly I criticise Thailand, it has problems that need to be addressed, just as I criticise the problems in my own country.

If I didn't care then it wouldn't matter to me if it all went to he!! in a handbasket.

I don't think they fear the country or the people themselves... but rather fear for their future. True, a lot of guys here on TV are secure (and can independently live comfortably here or just plan B back home if it doesn't work out) and don't have these fears... but IMO the majority don't have parachutes in an environment where they are forbidden to work (in most professions) or invest. I'd imagine that probably eats at one's nerves. Especially for the fellas (one might note that falang gals are rarely the one's complaining) who are often expected *even more so here* to be the bread winners. It's like "you gotta provide for the family but you better not be working in 98% of the jobs available." I'd be whinging too.

:o

And you are a dope :o

I'm critical of the things I care about. Road Safety, Corruption, Educational Standards, Standards of Service..........

I agree if we are'nt critical of the things that matter to us there is a much greater chance of them deteriorating than improving.

Constructive criticism can be a good thing if it is conveyed properly, has the potential to result in improvement and the party on the recieving end of the criticism is receptive to it.

However sometimes people will criticize things and people just to feel they or their ideas are superior.

Very very very nice post. Please keep posting!

I would like to buy you some drinks! :o

Ever notice that most folks the really "hate" the country they are born in and grew up in hate thailand too.

When I hear somesone talking down LOS I politely ask, where are you from? They say, USA, Europe, oh, how was that, "oh I hated it" I just smile knowen that they hate life itself, so it comes down to "you take you with you"

:o:D:D

To me, it certainly sounds like corrective criticism and not being negative. However some of the things they do, seem to defy logic. I myself started a thread a few weeks back asking the same question. I truly feel it has a lot to do with corruption. I have seen plenty of common sense opportunities that were passed up while figuring out how to skim (or so it would seem.) I guess it is hard to climb the ladder of success when you hands are in someone’s  pockets.

Are you a psychologist? :o