Tesco-Lotus Closing Some Stores Due To Product Shortage

webfact

Statement from Tesco Lotus

This is a very difficult time for the millions of Thais affected by the floods and our thoughts are with them. The vast majority of our stores are open as usual and customers can do their shopping. We have however had to close only a small number of stores in flood affected areas, with us working hard to get them re-opened as soon as possible. We have only looked to close stores where we have had concern for the safety of our staff and customers, which is our number one priority.

We are very much aware that our customers may not have been able to buy all the products they need from us. However we are working around the clock to get deliveries of essentials items to our stores, despite facing significant distribution challenges.

============

Issued on behalf of

Ek-Chai Distribution System Co., Ltd.

Operators of Tesco Lotus

footer_n.gif

It is good to see this clarification after all the ridiculous rumours that did the rounds earlier today although no doubt the damage has been done.

Edited to add: it could have been better headlined by the more positive "the vast majority of Tesco stores to remain open" after the stupid and possibly malicious rumours of earlier today

Edited by hammered

It is good to see this clarification after all the ridiculous rumours that did the rounds earlier today although no doubt the damage has been done.

Edited to add: it could have been better headlined by the more positive "the vast majority of Tesco stores to remain open" after the stupid and possibly malicious rumours of earlier today

I went to my local Tesco Lotus express store yesterday, and most of there shelves were empty ! and i live in Chiang Mai, so i can't see the statement above being directed at the 'express' stores ! if they are having problems restocking then i can't see them staying open for much longer whilst the floods are here ( or rather there, in Bkk)

Whilst this forum is mainly driven by The Nation / TAN, things will ever be so.

I also just came back from TESCO. I'm not assuming that all scheduled trucks will make it here. Some things you can last a long time with, and others are gone quick, but you don't need to survive. Got more of the long term / worst case items. And yes some products like canned fish were wiped out, beans leaving fast. Beer too was leaving like a landrush gold assayers business rate. Good coffee no doubt low on the list of restock items with limited truck trips. Rice was holding out ok, but who knows next week. Stock up, but don't panic horde.

Edited by animatic

16 items declared CONTROL GOODS incl drinking water, toilet paper,torch,battery,toothpaste,tooth brush,sand,brick

Controlled Goods: <15seater-boat,rubber boots,blankets,buckets,draining pumps, sealing materials and candles

/TAN_Network

no beer on that list, its maybe controlled by the fact my Tesco ran out !!!!!

Topics may get often started from The Nation articles, but there are dozens of alternate sources for stories and other perspectives. One look at the locked ' daily feed ' shows that. Even Taksin Magazine gets in here.

Edited by animatic

Actually, in this case it was tweets that were the culprit.

16 items declared CONTROL GOODS incl drinking water, toilet paper,torch,battery,toothpaste,tooth brush,sand,brick

Controlled Goods: <15seater-boat,rubber boots,blankets,buckets,draining pumps, sealing materials and candles

/TAN_Network

no beer on that list, its maybe controlled by the fact my Tesco ran out !!!!!

I went into Big C this afternoon. They had plenty of beer ... pallets of it ... all Leo. :(

Just got back from tesco in singburi. Most shelves empty, but the most disappoining was the beer shelf, not 1 bottle in the entire store! They don't even have tesco bags to bag your purchases. I can understand though, their distrbution center and warehouse for this area is located on the northern ring road around bangkok where it is flooded and closed. They can't restock because they can't get to the goods. Other shops in the mall short on supplies or closed because the main supply route, Asian Highway, is still closed.

Just got back from tesco in singburi. Most shelves empty, but the most disappoining was the beer shelf, not 1 bottle in the entire store! They don't even have tesco bags to bag your purchases. I can understand though, their distrbution center and warehouse for this area is located on the northern ring road around bangkok where it is flooded and closed. They can't restock because they can't get to the goods. Other shops in the mall short on supplies or closed because the main supply route, Asian Highway, is still closed.

And very likely other none flooded distribution centers will be sharing the load of the closed ones, which means shortages for ALL stores to some extent. It's doesn't mean totally out of everything But less runs and less of some common things.

I went to my local Tesco Lotus express store yesterday, and most of there shelves were empty ! and i live in Chiang Mai, so i can't see the statement above being directed at the 'express' stores ! if they are having problems restocking then i can't see them staying open for much longer whilst the floods are here ( or rather there, in Bkk)

For whatever it's worth, I just got home from one of the large Tesco/Lotus store here in Chiang Mai. Lot's of stuff on the shelves. As usual, some sale items are finished and some items are empty (no Heinz mustard - no loss).

An added problem to the supermarket shortages will be the total lack of locally grown fresh produce, its all under water, vast areas of vegetable and fruit growing fields have been inundated and the produce ruined.

The supermarkets will need to import more fresh products and that will warrant double or triple pricing.

When the problem eases in 12 to 18 months the prices WILL NOT GO DOWN. super-stores will boast record profits as inflation balloons out of control. :lol:

Edited by newermonkey

And very likely other none flooded distribution centers will be sharing the load of the closed ones, which means shortages for ALL stores to some extent. It's doesn't mean totally out of everything But less runs and less of some common things.

A CP spokesperson on Thai TV last night estimated it would take until the middle of November to get shelves back to where they were. In the meantime there will be some shortages of some things and not others.

I suggest that people collect rain water. My wife has been collecting rain water for a long time - for many months. It tastes much better that bought, filtered water, and doesn't go off in bottles.

Before you drink it, say to it (or just think) with pure intention: "I love you. Thank you." I know it sounds silly, but the vibration of the words changes the molecular structure to a beautiful hexagonal form and make the water healthy to drink. The usual bound structure of the molecules breaks up into clusters, and this hydrates your cells much better that any filtered water not "treated" with the words. You can study this on the internet. Masaru Emoto.

I suggest that people collect rain water. My wife has been collecting rain water for a long time - for many months. It tastes much better that bought, filtered water, and doesn't go off in bottles.

Before you drink it, say to it (or just think) with pure intention: "I love you. Thank you." I know it sounds silly, but the vibration of the words changes the molecular structure to a beautiful hexagonal form and make the water healthy to drink. The usual bound structure of the molecules breaks up into clusters, and this hydrates your cells much better that any filtered water not "treated" with the words. You can study this on the internet. Masaru Emoto.

Good to see that your stash hasn't been affected by the floods.

I just spoke with my mother-in-law, management at one of the many higher end business hotels within walking distance of Bangkok's central Silom area. She tells me they cannot source any quality, fresh beef or pork for their restaurant, even before the (possible) flood hits. If so, what hope is there for Bangkok's enormous population of poor.

Edited by jehricaholic

Someone suggested pouring hydrogen preoxide in the water.

help, is anyone else out there............

Someone suggested pouring hydrogen preoxide in the water.

help, is anyone else out there............

If you can get yourself to a Global House/Home Pro/Home Mart, they sell water purifiers for ~2K Baht that need only gravity to operate (pretty sure that's still working).. Assuming they're not already sold out that is.

/TAN_Network

I wonder what being declared control good actually means

I have just googled talking to water and found http://www.randi.org/jr/052303.html. It seems that in tests talking changed the molecular structure of water. I have tried this but it doesnt work.

I spoke quietly and firmly and said " you are a sandbag"

I have just googled talking to water and found http://www.randi.org/jr/052303.html. It seems that in tests talking changed the molecular structure of water. I have tried this but it doesnt work.

I spoke quietly and firmly and said " you are a sandbag"

Didn't work for me either, even tried it on a bottle of Leo, which is practically all water anyway.

Edit: After reading your link more thoroughly, I even tried assaulting a bottle of Leo with 140dB of

, it still tastes neither like beer, nor pure water though :huh: Edited by MoonRiverOasis

/TAN_Network

You'd think if there was a water shortage that brushing your teeth would be one of those things to cut back on as opposed to there being a rush for toothpaste and tooth brushes