Customs Hit Me For 427.63 Baht On Textbook

This happened about a month ago, but I was surprised that textbook was charged. I've had several shipped to me from school overseas with no problems. Should the shipper have lowered the value of the book ($68.00 USD)? I never had to think about it before. import duty was 241 baht (10%) and customs VAT (7%) was 186 baht. I almost refused the shipment. (should I have?)

What is the money limit in which the contents would be ignored? Are there any provisions for educational materials? (it was specifically labeled educational material and it was clearly a hardcover textbook if they opened it (didn't look opened).

Duty rate for Printed matter is 10%, but there is a special Tariff code for Education Materials that is rated at 0%. You should not have refused it, but should have been able to push them to use correct tariff code for 0%

That being said, if they refused, you would have little recourse... you could have them turn over to your designated customs broker for clearance, but given the low value it wouldn't make sense as the charges for customs clearance and delivery would be higher that the duty amount that FedEx charged you.

Fedex is the problem. Always use EMS not one of the express delivery services.

I think registered mail is better because I had to pay several times while using EMS in the past.

I haven't paid anything since I switched to using registered mail.

Could you please explain why one of the express delivery services is a problem ?

Yes. because one of the ways they still manage to make it express is to charge taxes on every item whether tax is due or not. But hey if your happy keep having it delivered by express carriers.

On EMS deliveries they only check and charge on a small percentage of goods coming into the country.

Spot on "thaicbr", be it for books or small cycle parts, stay away from the over night big boys BS and stick with EMS.

Edited by hedonist44

Could you please explain why one of the express delivery services is a problem ?

Yes. because one of the ways they still manage to make it express is to charge taxes on every item whether tax is due or not. But hey if your happy keep having it delivered by express carriers.

On EMS deliveries they only check and charge on a small percentage of goods coming into the country.

Sort off correct... they generally are a bit lazy and simply do what is easiest...

There can some times be a question as to which tariff code that should be used. Customs brokers work with their customs and ask additional questions to try and use the best and most accurate tariff code, but most courier companies like FedEx, DHL and UPS make their money on volume, so they do not want to waste time on such things...

Usually if any question in the tariff code, rather than ask questions or for additional clarification, they just take the higher duty rate to protect themselves. There goal is to spend as little time as possible on each shipment, not to try and save duty and vat charges for consignee's.

I have heard Fedex and other delivery companies have an arrangement with customs officials to tax containers in bulk and then pro-rate the tax among the parcels in the containers, usually no relevance to what is being shipped by an individual. Also Fedex and other carriers often charge extra fees.

Shipping by post is often tax free but when you do pay the tax, it is usually correct.

Last Christmas I received a gift sent via Amazon of 2 CDs. Our staff manager had to pay duty of 900 baht but the value of the goods was less than 500 baht.

So if you have amazon vouchers are you going to be hit on any delivery? Previously it didn't happen.

Duty rate for Printed matter is 10%, but there is a special Tariff code for Education Materials that is rated at 0%. You should not have refused it, but should have been able to push them to use correct tariff code for 0%

That being said, if they refused, you would have little recourse... you could have them turn over to your designated customs broker for clearance, but given the low value it wouldn't make sense as the charges for customs clearance and delivery would be higher that the duty amount that FedEx charged you.

3I think we are discussing the wrong issue. The point is - there should be no tax, duty, VAT or any type of government surcharge on knowledge, hence textbooks. But TIT is strongly for it, otherwise it wouldn't be what it is. :)

3I think we are discussing the wrong issue. The point is - there should be no tax, duty, VAT or any type of government surcharge on knowledge, hence textbooks. But TIT is strongly for it, otherwise it wouldn't be what it is. :)

Australia has GST on textbooks as do many other countries. Maybe there shouldn't be but if the law is being applied fairly you hsve no complaint. The US and UK also apply tax escept under very limited conditions which do not apply to you.

Edited by harrry

Australia has GST on textbooks as do many other countries. Maybe there shouldn't be but if the law is being applied fairly you hsve no complaint. The US and UK also apply tax escept under very limited conditions which do not apply to you.

GST or VAT are different that Import Duty... Only import goods are subject to Duty, GST or VAT are calculated on all goods imported or sold domestically...

I think the OP in this case is discussing the Duty, rather that VAT...

Education Material has a duty rate of 0%, but VAT of 7% would still be applicable.

GST or VAT are different that Import Duty... Only import goods are subject to Duty, GST or VAT are calculated on all goods imported or sold domestically...

I think the OP in this case is discussing the Duty, rather that VAT...

Education Material has a duty rate of 0%, but VAT of 7% would still be applicable.

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

does not give any listing. do you havehe tarrif no?

Don't have a choice in the matter. But never had a problem before. I will contact fedex and school and follow up.

Thanks. I will follow up with fedex if this happens again, and I will be much more diligent about accepting package. Why didn't they call me ahead of time? I am also asking school bookstore to follow up with this. I did see on all of the invoices it was clearly stated "educational materials" in English. Not sure where the confusion was.

The first time I did think about the "cost" and figured I'd let it go. But I don't want to keep getting played. And I will not next time.

4901.991000 ----

- - - Educational, technical, scientific, historical or cultural books

Duty: Exempted

My doctor sent me one of my phrostetic legs I had rebuilt and customes charged me $470.00 USD. I was sent prepaid via FedX. Obviously I was <deleted>---d. Is there an exempt code for prostetic supplies?

Edited by ralphlsasser

4901.991000 ----

- - - Educational, technical, scientific, historical or cultural books

Duty: Exempted

My doctor sent me one of my phrostetic legs I had rebuilt and customes charged me $470.00 USD. I was sent prepaid via FedX. Obviously I was <deleted>---d. Is there an exempt code for prostetic supplies?

TNT charged me 10% + VAT on a controller for my wheelchair despite it being exemp on the page for exempted goods and my having informed them. That is why I wanted to know if there is a code for this so I can complain to TNT>

I had 160.00 quids worth of new clothes sent sent over from a online store in Covent Garden. My bill from Fedex was 7,000 baht, I was gutted becasue I bought the clothes in a sale with 50% discount but when was hit with a 7000 baht tax bill my savings went straight into the skyrockets of the customs folk.

But i ain't a complaining because some you loose some you win, that's life. Next years sale will send to friend to bring over when they are on their hols, you live and learn.

About a year ago I shipped from Turkey some personal belongings all old and only setimental value from Turkey where I had sold my yacht, by Fedex, I went to the airport to clear them, some sixsuitcases, the problems then began with Fedex effectively acting as collector and trying to get the highest price from me

The shipping costs were some 750 Euros, the duty they wanted was so excessive I said they could keep the posessions I then said I wanted to see a customs officer, at which stage the duty was cut in half, some 6hrs later it was again cut in half

Eight hours at the cargo airport and the goods were cleared

The problem as I see it is Fedex act as unpaid customs collector and if they take the maximum from each individual then their life is easier with the customs.

Shipping personal belongings here can be a night mare, try to avoid it

Ok I order books and DVDs from both amazon.co.uk and amazon.com. Delivery from the UK has been as quick as four days. Amazon.com typically ships from their warehouse in Germany but seems to take slightly longer.

I have NEVER been charged on any of the packages.