Quality Of Answers To Questions

ThaiSold

What I don't like about the threads on this site is if you start a thread with a question and you get all these stupid answers shouldn't you be able to vote the answers up or say delete irrelevant remarks.

When people have a legitimate question and start a thread it would be good to have control over the answers for the thread you've started.

This would be good for those who ask the question in google and come to the thread and don't have to go through pages and pages of waffle to find the answer.

I know the software doesn't work like that but i'm sure it does allow people who own a thread to have control over it.

It would certainly make Thai Visa look better to know you can come here and get legitimate answers quickly and make those who post eroneous remarks less relevant thus improving the quality of ThaiVisa.com

Just a thought

Endure has a point. Start a fb page, set yourself up as admin and delete the posts you don't like.

Or don't read the posts on TV.

I don't watch thai soaps because they are just not what I like_i don't write to channel 3,5,7 etc to moan about it.

If you want a forum where you control the answers the only option is to start your own.

hhmmmm thanks for proving my point.

No problem. While you might think your answer is smart the only way for you to get 'acceptable' answers to your questions is for you to control them. If you open a forum to public debate then you have to accept that you'll be seeing replies that you don't approve of. That's the way that free speech and public forums work. As I said if you want answers that you approve of to questions that you ask then the best think to do is start a forum that you moderate. Otherwise you're going to be lumbered with those people that don't agree with you.

If you want a forum where you control the answers the only option is to start your own.

hhmmmm thanks for proving my point.

No problem. While you might think your answer is smart the only way for you to get 'acceptable' answers to your questions is for you to control them. If you open a forum to public debate then you have to accept that you'll be seeing replies that you don't approve of. That's the way that free speech and public forums work. As I said if you want answers that you approve of to questions that you ask then the best think to do is start a forum that you moderate. Otherwise you're going to be lumbered with those people that don't agree with you.

Not exactly i'm talking about voting replies. The option to start say a normal thread that isn't voted or a votable thread. A votable thread would allow all users to vote the replies similar to yahoo answers therefore you'd get the answers to your question voted higher.

I'll give you an example, let's say we start a new thread for "best noodle shop in Phuket" they'd be a dozen stupid answers and a dozen good answers, then the answer of the best noodle shop made by the community would get voted to the top.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with the forums i'm just saying that sometimes it would be good to have a voting system.

So if people voted on every post, you would be happy with the answer?

Take a look at best burger/pizza topics: see a trend?

Everybody has different likes. Just because a majority voted for pizza brand A, doesn't mean I have to like it.

You could try doing a poll.

Everybody has different likes. Just because a majority voted for pizza brand A, doesn't mean I have to like it.

A poll you have to have a number of answers, but maybe you don't know the answers to poll which is exactly why your asking a question. Let's say you asked what language school is good around the ekamai area. how many eroneous answers would you get? Sure the answer with the school that got voted to the top might not be the one you like but you can certainly vote another answer and have it go up. It's about community concensus. Someone who didn't know anything would prefer to go with something that the majority of the community agree with.

I dunno, forget about it.

A poll you have to have a number of answers, but maybe you don't know the answers to poll which is exactly why your asking a question. Let's say you asked what language school is good around the ekamai area. how many eroneous answers would you get? Sure the answer with the school that got voted to the top might not be the one you like but you can certainly vote another answer and have it go up. It's about community concensus. Someone who didn't know anything would prefer to go with something that the majority of the community agree with.

Your idea might be working with "simple" Q&A threads, where people can agree with the best pizza shop or school or they might not... but it will not work with discussion threads as we see a majority i.e. about politics.

And specially, if you would give the OP the chance to delete posts he does not like, it would be the end of real discussions...

Not that hard if you are actually inclined to do a little work. Search google for a short list of schools . Put it in the poll. People could vote on them.

People could comment as usual, you can choose to ignore the silly answers but people will offer up other suggestions as well.

A poll you have to have a number of answers, but maybe you don't know the answers to poll which is exactly why your asking a question.

And it figures then that if you don't know the answer then you are probably not well-placed to judge the responses

The flip-side to "community consensus" can be lowest common denominator of taste/knowledge

My gut feeling is that the majority of people offering responses here are well-meaning though not always well-informed

The narky answers often result from people getting fed-up with those asking questions who have obviously not read prior threads, not used google, etc etc, and/or have formed their own fairly strong view before they even posted the question ... and don't want to hear any other opinion/views

I know what the OP is on about. I wanted to find the name of a particular restaurant that was having a special that was the subject of a thread. I had to read through 4 pages of slanderous, mocking gibberish and still there was no mention of the name of the restaurant. So I posted a query and it was answered along with another 100 posts of slanderous, mocking gibberish.

It was explained to me that certain nationalities like that kind of humor. That is. offensive balderdash foreign to any other but those select nationalities.

Since there are hundreds if not thousands of that nationality on Thai Visa it shapes the answers of the forum.

I am sure they are not all bad people. They just don't realize their particular brand of humor and/or discourse is offensive to the rest of the world.

Why are people argumentative and mocking instead of helpful or curious? Perhaps it is parental influence or some kind of institutional thing.

What was that saying - If you dont like the heat get out of the kitchen. :unsure:

Typical post.

Can anyone tell me if raw hamburger is available in Nakonnowhere.

Ya bloody septic start eating Thai food.

Take your bar girl to Micky D's why don't ya.

I would rather eat <deleted> than go to one of Bush's restaurants.

Another fat old drunk looking for greasy food. Try Pattaya.

The Russians are taking over Pattaya.

Better than the Israelis.

Arabs are more polite than Russians.

You have obviously never lived in Iran.

Iran is not Arab.

Pattaya is a sewer anyway who cares.

End of typical thread.

It is not the heat that bothers me it is the nonsense and off topic answers always on the same topic and from the same posters.

I forgot to include the nasty closings that some posters use. My favorite nasty closings are DUH and NEXT. There is no rational reason to insult another person with another idea with a gratuitously nasty closing except to tell the world that you are a nasty person.

If they can't win an argument sticking to the facts of the post and staying on topic they attack the other poster and then end the attack with a nasty closing.

For example, “Everybody knows you are an idiot. Next.”

Or, “If you had a brain you would not say something that stupid. Duh.”

Less irksome but still bothersome are the spelling mistakes used to discredit an idea when spelling has nothing to do with the idea.

I like replying to questions with glib comments formed from my observations or more questions . I have been joining in on TV for only a short time but every now and then I wonder if it is real and are there thousands of posters or is it just a robot with a computer brain that is slowly indoctrinating unsuspecting innocents and creating a mindset . A TV mind set .

Does anyone know where I can buy penny dainty caramels ?

I know what the OP is on about. I wanted to find the name of a particular restaurant that was having a special that was the subject of a thread. I had to read through 4 pages of slanderous, mocking gibberish and still there was no mention of the name of the restaurant. So I posted a query and it was answered along with another 100 posts of slanderous, mocking gibberish.

it is a bit like reading TV in order to get information about the flood sitation and the views/decisions by the Thai authorities

any thread about these issues is rapidly clogged with pages of crap

Part of the problem is that it doesn't come down to a vote on what answers are the best, it comes down to a popularity contest. Idiots will vote up other idiots' posts and vote down the sensible ones. We know this because we once had a rating system on posts and that's exactly what happens.

I'm happy to be an idiot if that makes all the others feel superior. :whistling:

It's heartening to see people volunteering to fill all sorts of roles in our community.

Unfortunately Payboy, in your seven years here you have consistently failed to qualify as an idiot, or even as a minor annoyance. Perhaps you set your sights too high? ;)

I'm happy to be an idiot if that makes all the others feel superior. :whistling:

It's heartening to see people volunteering to fill all sorts of roles in our community.

Unfortunately Payboy, in your seven years here you have consistently failed to qualify as an idiot, or even as a minor annoyance. Perhaps you set your sights too high? ;)

I'm trying CD, failure just makes me try harder. :)

We are all guilty in some way. I've only got to see a hint of P.C., Schoolmaster or Lefty, and loose the Plot in Seconds. I find Payboy quite funny,but some don't. Its a Public thing,so you wont stop it. Are you here to show your superior views or enjoy a little bardinarge. I never read Teak Door, but never post my rules to them, just stay away.coffee1.gif

Typical post.

Can anyone tell me if raw hamburger is available in Nakonnowhere.

Ya bloody septic start eating Thai food.

<snipped to save space>

I forgot to include the nasty closings that some posters use. My favorite nasty closings are DUH and NEXT.

:D :D

Two good posts because they are so true.

To be fair though both of those nasty closings consistently come from the same poster :D