Toyota V8 Exhaust Pipes Length/Size

We really need some video of the beast in action MM smile.png

How far up river are you? We're opposite Sam Khok with river frontage access (restaurant with a pontoon), maybe buzz up for a beer and a bite with some video (PM me).

How are you lubricating your hardwood bearings, water or something else?

Or are you talking Sam Khok in Patum? Just south of Bang Sai?

That's us MM :)

We really need some video of the beast in action MM smile.png

How far up river are you? We're opposite Sam Khok with river frontage access (restaurant with a pontoon), maybe buzz up for a beer and a bite with some video (PM me).

How are you lubricating your hardwood bearings, water or something else?

Or are you talking Sam Khok in Patum? Just south of Bang Sai?

That's us MM smile.png

right,

would take me 30-40 minutes, at moderate speeds, from Pak Kred to get up there

if I remember correctly, a wee bit before Bang Sai on the East bank there are some (2-3?) relatively tall buildings on the West bank, seems to be a tambon or something there,

some restaurants rim mae naam etc (alse a wee klong going behind the high rises)

• 2 weeks later...

at last, chang ruua just called, the boat is all set,

will be launched tomorrow morning at high water

a few things to fix at another chang ruua

then in with all the equipment

kruang rong late in the coming week I hope

At last, fetched the boat today, now its looking like this;

post-129716-0-30281700-1441033337_thumb.

The deck is also painted purple now. Will also have a purple canopy.

Now the boat is at a work shop in my local klong, the wright will do some minor stuff, finished on wednesday or thursday I guess.

Then its time to install all the stuff that has been taken out, batteries, tank, filters, fuel pump, targa, bilge pumps etc etc,

and after that, the engine and the new drive shaft.

right,

would take me 30-40 minutes, at moderate speeds, from Pak Kred to get up there

if I remember correctly, a wee bit before Bang Sai on the East bank there are some (2-3?) relatively tall buildings on the West bank, seems to be a tambon or something there,

some restaurants rim mae naam etc (alse a wee klong going behind the high rises)

Exact location of restaurant 14.053886, 100.552000

It can easily take 30-40 minutes to drive that distance, fancy starting a fast ferry? smile.png

Boat looks good, if the engine sounds as good as it looks it will be a head turner :)

• 4 weeks later...

Boats is now back at home, with engine installed (since a week and a half); looks like this:

post-129716-0-12786100-1443452923_thumb.

post-129716-0-09229100-1443452995_thumb.

Now I have the larger screw and the new gear box and the larger driveshaft and shafttube installed.

Since the new box and driveshaft is heavier than before the engine has been pulled 2 inches further into the boat, (to secure freeboard aft).

Doesn't run well, cannot get it in plane, the 2 inches the engine was pulled in results in the prop not getting deep enough for the start/planing manouvers,

must lift the engine another half or 3/4 inch.

Have ordered new engine spacers in hardwood, then have to haul the engine again, install the spacers and try again.

Its NOT EASY to sort out rake problems with these boats.

Anyway, happy to have the boat back home and sit in the boat working,

Have spent a couple of days changng all the fenders.

Have spent 2 or 3 long days rebuilding the "harbour", new poles, a bit more elaborate now than on the picture.

Things take time in LoS.

hauled the engine again this morning,

problems with getting the boat to plane

propeller rake problems annoys me

will having ago at lifting the engine 3/4 inch and hopefully the prop will be deep enough at low speed to easily push

it into planing

now waiting for the boat wright down the canal to make some hardwood spacers so I can get the engine higher

• 1 month later...

I want a ride in this boat.

You're very welcome, but I'm afraid it will be a while before can do

after launch, a few days spent on some minor wood work inside and new engine spacers

then put the mill in with the new drive shaft and prop

experienced rake problems, the engine was about 2 inches forward of before, that caused severe rake problems,

extreme difficulties with getting it to plane

quite a few days spent discussing with people and calculating rake and engine spacers

hauled the engine again

used the opportunity to do some minor work, liftet the engine another inch

wednesday last week, installed engine again

on the way home the bitch sunk

in a tricky place by the southern end of Koh Kred

it was found and raised the day after and the engine hauled the same evening,

day after the engine was stripped to pieces

will see in a while if its OK

the boat is badly damaged though, badly

have it at home since saturday, has stripped out absolutely everything

will tow it to a local builder in the canal on Thursday

then discuss what can be done and to what price etc etc

not sure what I will do, use it for Loi Kratong in a couple of weeks or rebuild it or what

can add that this accident was very very close to be fatal for me,

I sure was lucky as hell that I survived

that also adds to things to sort out before deciding what to do next

but sureley, I like boats and would probably find life living klong side a bit boring without one

Whats the Prop Pitch.?.If its 21 inch or over getting on the plane may need an 18. Im watching them in Attudia at the moment , or someplace like that, carrying quite heavy loads at 35 ish m.p.h.

the pitch is about 15 and a half inch

the prop diameter is about 14 inch

this is more than sufficient with a high rev engine with plenty of horsepower and ample torque,

the tricky prop challenge is the rake (the prop's angel of attack in the water)

the driveshaft is resting on the transom when the boat is not moving

the engine placement can be adjusted 1-3 inches forward/backward

and the engines hight can be adjusted from resting directly on the engine beams and to about 2 and half inch higher (using spacers)

the rake has to be right if not you will have problems getting the boat to plane at all or problems keeping the boat in plane below 35 knots

when the rake is right the boat planes easily and the driveshaft is balancing nicely without touching the transom

I am trying to understand how it would sink..The hull seems to have plenty of depth above water, or does power 'on' bury the stern..?

no, actually, power on lifts the stern, actually lifts the whole boat

how it would sink?

whole in the bottom the size of a A4 sheet (30*20 centimeters),

whole on port side about 2 foot forward of where the driver sits and far out to the port side

I am trying to understand how it would sink..The hull seems to have plenty of depth above water, or does power 'on' bury the stern..?

how it would sink?

whole on port side about 2 foot forward of where the driver sits and far out to the port side

Oh...sad.png

The one thing that worried me a little with my boat was drift wood. I used to take my boat mid English Channel for sea angling, spotting drift wood was near impossible so the hull was made extra thick fibre glass.

Edited by transam

how it would sink?

Oh...sad.png

The one thing that worried me a little with my boat was drift wood. I used to take my boat mid English Channel for sea angling, spotting drift wood was near impossible so the hull was made extra thick fibre glass.

Chao Praya and adjoining canals are full of drift wood, in all sizes. Dangerous. But, can be spotted, just, in day light.

It turned out that significant sections of the bottom was rotten.

Edited by melvinmelvin

Did you hit something MM?

Sorry to hear about your baby, hope you get everything sorted, I still want a go smile.png

Whilst re-building add buoyancy tanks.

haven't concluded on what to do next, yet, thinking thinking thinking

naaah, large sections of the wood turned out to be rotten (the boat is 3,5 years old, the whole bottom was changed 1,5 years ago)

stringers and bottom panel rotten

didn't hit anything,

I think what happened was as I was in the process of getting the boat into plane, the pressure edge of the water passed backwards under the boat

and when it was right under the most rotten section the pressure edge of the water pressed in some stringers and the bottom itself

the climate for wood is harsh in Chao Praya

buoyancy tanks you say,

will give that a thought, need to calculate a bit, see how large they must be in order to have real effect

they would need to float about 1,5 ton to be on the safe side

That would need an air/foam capacity of about 1,500 Litres. You could possibly get it into a false floor with a box under the engine to help support the extra mass at the stern.

Does it really weigh that much? Remember you only have to float the non-wood bits :)

Fibre Glass the bottom....whistling.gif .....biggrin.png

yes, that is an option,

but to put GRP on wood require skills, the Thais do it on some type of boats, they put the GRP mats difrectly on the wood and then smear the GRP stuff

on the mat and end the process by smearing gelcoat

this ain't no good, plasting wood you MUST ensure that water does not penetrate the plastic

GRP drinks water, not a lot, but it drinks

and when the mat is not fastened with lots of epoxy you are asking for problems

I think they find high quality expoxy too expensive

That would need an air/foam capacity of about 1,500 Litres. You could possibly get it into a false floor with a box under the engine to help support the extra mass at the stern.

Does it really weigh that much? Remember you only have to float the non-wood bits smile.png

sorry, my bad, am very very tired now, have been working 15 hour days for a week now, the mental capacity is suffering

of course you are right, wood floats

I guess the boat with engine and all equipment and tanks and driver weighs about 1 ton, the boat itself slightly less than 500 kilo

so 500/600 liters of air should be adequate

say 4 tanks of 100 liters and a coupleof automatic blow up things

thats worth considering, definitely

• 1 month later...

Wow, not bad.

Everything put together, cabling sorted out, a few new bits and pieces here and there.

The engine started RIGHT AWAY and ran smoothly.

Happy!

Now, have to sort out the boat, repair or build a new one. Probably build a new one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, not bad. Everything put together, cabling sorted out, a few new bits and pieces here and there. The engine started RIGHT AWAY and ran smoothly. Happy! Now, have to sort out the boat, repair or build a new one. Probably build a new one.

Just read what happened. That sure sucks. Glad you are OK.

I hope you will able to fix this right so it does not happen again.

Watching twin turbo Nissan VH45 V8 boat vids lately. So awesome.

When I was a kid our neighbor had a 1969 Vette, 427 cu in, and a flat bottom V-Drive boat with a 427. Vette had a mural paint job which flowed front to back and continued onto the boat. Beautiful.

He used to show up at the lake at sunrise, water like glass, fire up that sucker and him and his buddy would go water skiing. Could hear him coming for miles. Water cooled exhaust but no mufflers, pipes pointed straight out the back. Think that was when I was bitten by the Hot Rod bug.

• Like 1