All 50 Districts In Bangkok To Brace For Flood Tonight

webfact

QED - I'm convinced you're right

That I find "amazing"....or rather it just confirms my suspicions based on the apparent inadequacy of most posters comprehension of the situation.

If you're an expert perhaps instead of trying to insult members you could offer some useful information.

That YouTube video of the helicopter flight over flooded areas was the single most informative post on this thread so far. It's easy to prattle on about topographical features while pretending to be an expert, but nothing comes close to seeing it.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When property owners and tenants start returning to their homes after the flood water recedes and then fixing up their flood-damaged homes and buildings, they need to start by removing and discarding building materials that were soaked in the flood to prevent the growth of health-threatening toxic mold. Mold prevention should be a top priority when residents return to their homes and buildings. Free advice on mold prevention is available at http://www.mold-prevention.com and http://www.moldinspector.com

When property owners and tenants start returning to their homes after the flood water recedes and then fixing up their flood-damaged homes and buildings, they need to start by removing and discarding building materials that were soaked in the flood to prevent the growth of health-threatening toxic mold. Mold prevention should be a top priority when residents return to their homes and buildings. Free advice on mold prevention is available at http://www.mold-prevention.com and http://www.moldinspector.com

Thank you for those links. Sometimes the most dangerous things are those that we don't think about.

I'm sure I'm not the only one concerned to see children playing in the water, which must be contaminated by any number of unpleasant things.

However, I'm sure none of us ever expected to be reading about mould prevention or how to fill sandbags when we came to LOS!

Even though it has rained almost everyday for about 9 weeks here in Pattaya at least once a day or at times for several days, we have made out pretty well compared to the rest of the country. What's depressing is over the past couple of weeks food prices in the markets like friendship, tops and even Big C have steadily climbed up for many items. Some items 25 -50 % higher and ... yesterday I had a hard time finding water to buy other than the smaller bottles which were priced 50% more than they usually are. Hope this is not a sign of things to come. One of my Thai friends, a City official, was saying he does not think it is a supply problem but more of a greed thing because of the current situation. Which kind of sucks.

You can't take this flood thing area by area - it is going to affect the whole country directly or indirectly. You can't equate local weather to flooding either - the floods in Bkk come from a river system catchment that starts in the North - local daily rain is almost irrelevant.

Some of the major manufacturing and food processing areas have been put out of action - this will have ramifications wherever you are. Both production AND distribution are affected.

Your "city official" appears to be par for the course in his/her ability to see the whole picture i.e. crap - this has plagued the official responses from the start....that and outright stupidity.

This panic using isn't helping. But Bkk has a population of about 10 million, most of whom are now on holiday and looking to stay somewhere outside the capital - this is bound to have a knock on effect. But it is a case of hugely increased demand (panic buying) and restricted distribution and production.

Pattaya has no large river so serious flooding is unlikely - the town's drainage system is barely capable of handling the seasonal downpours as everyone has experienced flash flooding there at one time or another, but it is unlikely ever to have water standing there for up to a month. ...but if you think it might escape the national knock-on effects you will be very disappointed.

Have you checked out the hotels? - apparently there is already an influx of Thai "tourists" and many are full.

Yea, have to agree with you 100% on your points. The person I spoke to yesterday worked for the Mayor directly in Pattaya. However, it appears manufacturers and distributors throughout the country in many areas including food, water, boats, Gasoline are all way behind some because of demand some because of panic, as you stated. Even lines for Gas were exceptionally long today in Pattaya and water could hardly be found anywhere after about 12 noon. Food shelves were emptying fast, however, there was still much left to buy. I saw 2 pickup trucks on Sumkivit road this afternoon filled with the 6 packs of water. I stopped and they are asking 100 baht per 6 pack. They usually sell for 25 Baht at my condo store. So, between greed and manufacturing/distribution problems it's going to be a crummy few weeks. Suppose it could be so much worse, though.

Edited by paulian

The other thing I imagine they're going to need when the floods recede is dehumidifiers. Lots of them.

We had a burst water pipe a few months ago that damaged a wall. It took 3 weeks for a dehumidifier on 24/7 to dry things out enough before it could be redecorated.

An opportunity for someone in the dehumidifier business.