Small Babies In Thailand

spazsway

hi there

we have bought out tickets to fly, our trip is imminent. We have two small children,, the oldest of almost two years and the little one of four months.

My husband thinks it is unwise to bring our little daughter along because of the health risks she'd be exposed to considering she only got two shots of vaccines and she is feeding on powder milk with the consequent risk of unsafe water.

Also, he is afraid we would run ourselves mad with tho little ones, since we are coming to look into acquiring a business and we will need to move around quite a lot through the islands and not just lay back in a posh resort.

Of course, mamma's heart is thorned at the idea of leaving her behind (i got her ticket anyway and reserved the baby basket on the plane..)

So, can anyone share their experience for this situation??

Are nannies easy to hire , are they reliable? expensive? Where would I look for one?

Are there really serious health risks for little ones, considering we do not plan to go off the beaten track but mainly would stick to the touristy places?

thankyou for any tips you might have

ciao!!

Well Tornado, that was certainly a useful reply.

Frankly, four months is far too young to travel and you will find it difficult. Unless you were planning on renting a house and staying put I wouldn't really recommend it. I would think finding a nanny you trust implicitly with your child would be difficult, esp when you don't know anyone who might be able to recommend someone trustworthy.

Travelling with a nipper will be difficult, but that just means planning your mode of transport better.

You wont find a good nanny that you will trust for a short trip. Nannies have to earn trust, we all know that.

However, if you plan your trip with enough time to move around at leisure, like taking the train around where possible instead of flying, and giving yourself enough time to relax while you are here all will be good.

One of the refreshing things here that you will most especially learn if you relocate as you seem to be planning is the realisation that your baby willnot be emotionally scarred if they dont have the latest bottle teats/ super diaper bags/ toys and it is wonderful. This is coming from a father with a 9 year old in international school in BKK, and another nipper due any day now.

Bottom line, dont worry aobut it, just give yourselves a little more time that you would normally.

Regards

How do your 4 month old fare when in the car?

I travelled a lot with my son when he was very young, mainly because he always falls asleep in the car.

Powdered milk feeding is not a problem, you just need to organize yourself before you leave for the day.

My suggestions:

- Get those pre-measured plastic containers to store powdered milk. When you need to use it, just pour the powdered milk into the bottle and add water. No need to fuss about with measuring spoons, etc.

- Get thermal flasks: one small one for hot water, and one bigger one for boiled, cooled water. If they run out, just use bottled water.

- Your little ones will need sun protection, even if in the car. Get hats, screens for car windows, etc.

- Get a Thai helper with you, even when travelling. She can help to carry the baby for a few minutes, prepare milk, change nappy, etc. If she is bilingual that is even better, since she can help you with translation.

250 THB per day is pretty reasonable for a full-time (not live-in) nanny.

Thais are very baby-friendly and you will get a lot of help in many small ways even from strangers.

So don't leave your baby behind! I'd say take him/her with you! It's only a matter of good organization :o

Have fun!

Edited by LadyinRed