Bangkok Is In Panic Mood

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For what it's worth, the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office's on-line Travel Advice has been updated - as follows:

"This advice has been reviewed and reissued with an amendment to the Travel Summary (update to advice and information on floods). The overall level of the advice has changed. We now advise against all but essential travel to the city of Bangkok and the 26 provinces in Thailand affected by flooding. Our advice against all but essential travel to the city of Bangkok does not include transit through Suvarnabhumi international airport. Flights to destinations elsewhere in Thailand (eg the resorts of Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, and Koh Samui) continue to operate normally. We continue to advise against all travel to the Preah Vihear and Ta Krabey/Ta Moan temple areas and against all but essential travel to the provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla".

Which I assume means that, as I am sheduled to arrive next week and was planning to travel into Bangkok in order to continue my overland journey, my travel insurance will not apply (as my trip is not "essential" - define "essential", anyway. The fact that the trip was booked months ago and if I cancel I'll lose my money makes it pretty "essential" from where I'm sitting).

Also, BBC news, in UK, states that "Bangkok residents are fleeing the city - with long queues forming at bus and train stations".

I guess the supply & demand prices will soon be hiked, accordingly (particularly for farangs).:whistling:

I am not what you would call a happy-bunny at the moment.:angry:

If its any consolation I have had to change my plans. EVA air would not allow me to change my airline ticket so I had to cancel and will now wait two months for a refund - thier company policy - my new flight for January has cost me an extra £193 plus the £75 EVA air are charging me for a refund plus the £15 that Agoda charged me to cancel my hotel booking. This loss does not compare to what many Thais are suffering so my friend you will have to grin and bear it as I have. My Fiance is in Nonthaburi and is expecting to be flooded and out of work due to the floods and without food and water. When I arrive in BKK in January I will no doubt be assisting Tanya and her family in picking up the pieces of thier broken homes.

So stop your bitching.

Edited by Sibbo

For what it's worth, the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office's on-line Travel Advice has been updated - as follows:

"This advice has been reviewed and reissued with an amendment to the Travel Summary (update to advice and information on floods). The overall level of the advice has changed. We now advise against all but essential travel to the city of Bangkok and the 26 provinces in Thailand affected by flooding. Our advice against all but essential travel to the city of Bangkok does not include transit through Suvarnabhumi international airport. Flights to destinations elsewhere in Thailand (eg the resorts of Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, and Koh Samui) continue to operate normally. We continue to advise against all travel to the Preah Vihear and Ta Krabey/Ta Moan temple areas and against all but essential travel to the provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla".

Which I assume means that, as I am sheduled to arrive next week and was planning to travel into Bangkok in order to continue my overland journey, my travel insurance will not apply (as my trip is not "essential" - define "essential", anyway. The fact that the trip was booked months ago and if I cancel I'll lose my money makes it pretty "essential" from where I'm sitting).

Also, BBC news, in UK, states that "Bangkok residents are fleeing the city - with long queues forming at bus and train stations".

I guess the supply & demand prices will soon be hiked, accordingly (particularly for farangs).:whistling:

Check with your insurance company to see what they will and won't cover. Don't make assumptions.

Good advice, especially as I've the opportunity to take out additional insurance, should my current policy not cover me. :thumbsup:

Western press not controlled by Thaksin?? I have seen Thaksin paranoia, but that takes the cake. Which Western media does he control? Names, citation please.

Defending 'burgdawg', I think the writer is implying that the western press as a whole was not controlled by Thaksin. Instead of stating that 'parts' of the western press under his influence.

The overall inference of the comment was that the western press was able to report 'freely' without undue influence form the owner of the media.

Robert Murdoch comes to mind. Plus articles offered for free by 'broadminded, concerned citizens' like Robert A.

You seem confused ... do you mean Robert Maxwell (deceased) or Rupert Murdoch?

...housing refugees at Suvarnabhumi? Amazing Thailand!

If it isn't the Yellow Shirts shutting down an airport, it is dispossed folks bussed there by Yingluck's Gov't in charge?

One thing is certain...Tai politics is never dull. Never ho-hum, never boring.

Western press not controlled by Thaksin is labeling Yingluck as "Thailand's Novice Politician."

Finally, some candor in the matter. Hold the Burberries.

This has been an ignored Humanitarian Disaster since August with the pleas for help from Ayutthaya covered up or ignored.

Now the crows come home to roost.

I had a close friend send me a photo of her house well underwater in Ayutthaya, the roofline barely visible.

In the background and not intentional, was an ocean going frieghter. It had the appearance of pulling in for some somtam bpuu.

Interesting. This thing could spell doom form months and months. Not weeks.

No one is in charge.

Asian face-saving coming head to head with the Force of Nature.

SomNam Naaa

The Mississippi flooded thousands of acres, inundated cities and one nuke plant - and even then some knuckle-dragging Americans wanted to blame Obama. The flood is nature, not current politics. Thailand's monsoon floods could have been harnessed decades ago and the Issan turned into a garden of Eden, if those in power had just built the system. Billion dollar swaths of shopping malls do not a prosperous nation make. Best wishes to our Thai friends during this difficult time.

Thailand has some amazing people handling a disaster situation with grace, caring for each other, and kindness. If you watch any of the Thai TV news showing the people moving their children and only possessions they have in a tub you will still see some smiles and humor. It is Amazing Thailand. They deserve our praise.

The Thai Way is why so many of we Farang refugees choose this unique nation as a place to retire. Here, you get a smile, not a silent challenge from an unhappy and disaffected zombie from our own countries. Thailand will be OK ... I say support the Thais in any way possible.

If its any consolation I have had to change my plans. EVA air would not allow me to change my airline ticket so I had to cancel and will now wait two months for a refund - thier company policy - my new flight for January has cost me an extra £193 plus the £75 EVA air are charging me for a refund plus the £15 that Agoda charged me to cancel my hotel booking. This loss does not compare to what many Thais are suffering so my friend you will have to grin and bear it as I have. My Fiance is in Nonthaburi and is expecting to be flooded and out of work due to the floods and without food and water. When I arrive in BKK in January I will no doubt be assisting Tanya and her family in picking up the pieces of thier broken homes.

So stop your bitching.

It's all relative.

It's all subjective.

Just cuz someone else got a lot to "bitch" about, don't mean someone else ain't got the right to bitch about their lot.

If I lost a leg and the guy in the next cot has lost two, his loss don't make my loss any the less valid.

Good luck with your trip, in January (although cancelling your planned trip does appear a tad hysterical).:blink:

Wow, just like when the Titanic sank. The upper class get the life boats, while the lower class get to go down with the ship.

The PM must be proud of this moment.

Maybe, someone will write a book on her, how she helped sink Bangkok. Could be very romantic novel.

Sort of like this eh?post-9891-0-28294400-1319718752_thumb.jppost-9891-0-39888900-1319718773_thumb.jp

With Don Muang airport remaining closed, refugees will now be accommodated at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Surely this is a mis-print or a mis-quote ?

No it is not..look at this report from Zoe Daniel Australias' ABC yesterday...

http://www.abc.net.a....me_id=newsmail

They are being moved 100 klm north in bus loads!

Edited by sydneyjed

If its any consolation I have had to change my plans. My Fiance is in Nonthaburi and is expecting to be flooded and out of work due to the floods and without food and water. When I arrive in BKK in January I will no doubt be assisting Tanya and her family in picking up the pieces of thier broken homes.

(although cancelling your planned trip does appear a tad hysterical).:blink:

-Sibbo-

Why you not coming to stand by, on the side of your fiance? Move her and her family to some dry place and give them some help and relief now. Why you stay away? I am in the moment in Lower Sukhumvit in a hotel and not run away,maybe Iwillbe sorry later.rolleyes.gif

I can only say, I am with -JayBlake- and his Quote! Sorry to read your change of plans, do you have to stay in your Fiances place yourself?

Thailand has some amazing people handling a disaster situation with grace, caring for each other, and kindness. If you watch any of the Thai TV news showing the people moving their children and only possessions they have in a tub you will still see some smiles and humor. It is Amazing Thailand. They deserve our praise.

My friend, anyone can smile on TV -- esp if it is culturally expected. Smiling when in trouble can be a way to pretend as though you are unaffected by what is going on around you. The North Koreans do the same thing. Food for thought.

Not all all smiles are as they might seem at first glance. Look deeper.

EDIT: To be clear, I think many Thais are quite strong and persevering (no more or less than any other people) -- we have more in common than we do not -- but those smiles mean various things. Unlike in much of Western cultures, you don't look at the mouth or the whole of the face in Asian countries to ascertain the particular emotion. Instead, you look at the eyes. If you focus on the people's eyes and on their dispositions away from noticeable view, you will get a much better sense for their feelings.

Edited by ThailandMan

Yes, but sadly there are some other misfortunes such as this story that I posted on another thread.

My brother-in-law just came back from Pahonyothin where he witnessed a big fight over the flood barriers. Apparently they were trying to build up a dyke to stop the flow of water into the city but the residents the other side were protesting and trying to pull them down. At one point shots were fired so he decided to leave.

I think things could get seriously out of hand at some point. People get so desperate they will do almost anything to protect themselves.

I guess this sort of news will be censored to prevent panic. My brother-in-law didn't even dare tell his wife as she is so nervous.

Yes, but sadly there are some other misfortunes such as this story that I posted on another thread.

My brother-in-law just came back from Pahonyothin where he witnessed a big fight over the flood barriers. Apparently they were trying to build up a dyke to stop the flow of water into the city but the residents the other side were protesting and trying to pull them down. At one point shots were fired so he decided to leave.

I think things could get seriously out of hand at some point. People get so desperate they will do almost anything to protect themselves.

I guess this sort of news will be censored to prevent panic. My brother-in-law didn't even dare tell his wife as she is so nervous.

Very well made point.

"You lot will have to swim, so your Bangkok-Betters don't have to risk getting their feet wet" is how that dyke would appear, to those on the wrong side of it.

Women and children and first-class passengers into the lifeboats, first, mentality.

Any wonder shots were (reportedly) fired?

Edited by JayBlake

Agree with you wholeheartedly.

At this time of crisis we do not need someone sprouting negatives and not doing anything to help.

The people in Bangkok have been blind to the obvious from the beginning. Even as the city fills up with water there are people who only just now realise that they might get wet. This has been a certainty for weeks.

------------------------

Gee, I haven't noticed any Thais...and only a small percentage of farangs that actually live here on a long term basis...that are panicing.

Putting up sandbag barricades, moving valued possesions to the 2nd floor, packing suitcases and waterproof bags with emergency supplies if we have to evacuate, etc. But I call that preparations...not panicing.

And things like the 3 Thai males in my household working for 3 nights voluntarily with the work crews going around the local sois (here in Lad Prao) and helping build barricades and walls for those who can't do it themselves (some are too old and/or feeble to do it themselves)...I don't call that panicing either...I call that preperation also.

And that comment about the people of Bangkok being blind to the reality of flooding is just...male cattle ecretement...

The politicians.... well, that's a different matter. They are not, and never have been, the people of Bangkok.

Don't mistake the politicians for the real people of Bangkok. They are just weekend guests, at the best...and they can be asked (or told) to leave anytime.

:whistling:

The idea that anybody in this country -- Yingluck, FROC, BMA, Bangkok mayor, the Army -- has the faintest idea what is happening and what is going to happen is akin to the belief that you can pick up a dog-turd by the clean end.

They haven't got a clue.

There's no shortage of information, in fact there's too much. The trouble is that most of it is inaccurate, contradictory, said for political purposes, or all three.

Nobody's in charge. Rely on those you trust, or your own instincts.

re: panicking

The four women, actually three girls and woman manager, who served me at McD's just now in the heart of BKK were absolutely laughing, giggling, loving life and being Thai (i.e., talking about food).

I guess they didn't get or read the memo where there were supposed to be hiding in the corner.

What a croc articles like this are.

So you saw some employees in McD laughing. Gosh, sounds pretty scientific. Stop the presses. Way to get out in the streets with the people in their natural environment (which is in a McD....apparently).

Edited by ES1

With Don Muang airport remaining closed, refugees will now be accommodated at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Without my trusted compass I can't tell precisely, but from DonMuang to Suvarnabhumi is more like going South-East to East-South-East and about 40km as the crow flies. From DonMuang North is going into flood hit PhatumThani, Bang Pa-In, Ayutthaya :ermm:

re: panicking

The four women, actually three girls and woman manager, who served me at McD's just now in the heart of BKK were absolutely laughing, giggling, loving life and being Thai (i.e., talking about food).

I guess they didn't get or read the memo where there were supposed to be hiding in the corner.

What a croc articles like this are.

You do not understand Thailand very well do you?

No, I've only lived among the Thais and been in the classroom with thousands of them for six+ years now.

What would I know?

I really like these cartoon infommercials.

You can see them on youtube but they are on Thai TV as well.

ep 1 .....

ep2 ....

nice post. I gotta say, I liked the whales jumping the sand-bag dyke like salmon...

And knocking over the TV in the second one.

:D

I really like these cartoon infommercials.

You can see them on youtube but they are on Thai TV as well.

ep 1 .....

ep2 ....

nice post. I gotta say, I liked the whales jumping the sand-bag dyke like salmon...

And knocking over the TV in the second one.

:D

Which TV ????

This or the other 240 volt version ???

Without my trusted compass I can't tell precisely, but from DonMuang to Suvarnabhumi is more like going South-East to East-South-East and about 40km as the crow flies. From DonMuang North is going into flood hit PhatumThani, Bang Pa-In, Ayutthaya :ermm:

I may have misunderstood it but I believe the reporter was referring to a 100Km trip from Don Muang to Chonburi (which is South, not North) as mistakenly posted, I think.

I can feel a song coming on:

"Didn't we have a loverly time, the day we went to Pattaya?!"

Western press not controlled by Thaksin?? I have seen Thaksin paranoia, but that takes the cake. Which Western media does he control? Names, citation please.

Defending 'burgdawg', I think the writer is implying that the western press as a whole was not controlled by Thaksin. Instead of stating that 'parts' of the western press under his influence.

The overall inference of the comment was that the western press was able to report 'freely' without undue influence from the owner of the media.

I agree, there may have been a comma missing :)

Western press not controlled by Thaksin.

and

Western press, not controlled by Thaksin.

have quite different meanings!

<br />re: panicking<br /><br />The four women, actually three girls and woman manager, who served me at McD's just now in the heart of BKK were absolutely laughing, giggling, loving life and being Thai (i.e., talking about food).<br /><br />I guess they didn't get or read the memo where there were supposed to be hiding in the corner.<br /><br />What a croc articles like this are.<br /><br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

I live in downtown Bangkok there is no panic, the soi dogs are still sleeping. the som tam lady is still selling, motorbikes are still going up and down the soi where are these people looking who are writing this complete drivel?

<br />Thailand has some amazing people handling a disaster situation with grace, caring for each other, and kindness. If you watch any of the Thai TV news showing the people moving their children and only possessions they have in a tub you will still see some smiles and humor. It is Amazing Thailand. They deserve our praise.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Try using a pedestrian crossing and see just how kind these Thai people are and how much they deserve our praise!!!!

After so many days of catching up with the news on Thailand's flood, I realized that everything seems to be an exaggeration. When I wake up every morning, I expect to see massive floodings, but it's not happening. Some districts are dry as bone; some others are flooded till ankle height, knee height or chest height . These images are quite different from what is being reported on the news. How many times have you heard, "the tides today will be higher than usual, be prepared to evacuate and be alert." I'm beginning to feel that some people are overreacting. Right now, we have about 1 million people, who reside or work in Bangkok, escaping to other provinces or countries, and we still have about 7 - 11 millions people left. One side of me is waiting nonchalantly for the arrival of the 1st of November, while the other side of me is excited to watch the kind of destruction that will unfold, the kind of destruction that has been fed to me through the news and media.

After so many days of catching up with the news on Thailand's flood, I realized that everything seems to be an exaggeration. When I wake up every morning, I expect to see massive floodings, but it's not happening. Some districts are dry as bone; some others are flooded till ankle height, knee height or chest height . These images are quite different from what is being reported on the news. How many times have you heard, "the tides today will be higher than usual, be prepared to evacuate and be alert." I'm beginning to feel that some people are overreacting. Right now, we have about 1 million people, who reside or work in Bangkok, escaping to other provinces or countries, and we still have about 7 - 11 millions people left. One side of me is waiting nonchalantly for the arrival of the 1st of November, while the other side of me is excited to watch the kind of destruction that will unfold, the kind of destruction that has been fed to me through the news and media.

Is "excited" really the word you were looking for? I hope not.