Lunch Treat ~ Wat Don Jan Chaing Mai

sunnyhor

Will be going to Wat Don Jan to buy a day lunch for the kids ( orphans) there.

Anyone ever did this? And can someone share the actual address please?

From my GPS, I only manage to search is Wat Don Juen , at Nong Phueng.

I don't know is this the one I'm am looking....kindly share!

Not sure if this will help. I was there about six months ago, Wat Don Chan. If you are on the superhiway going south - from Big C, it is just after the first underpass (easy to miss, it's on the left down a small soi. OR It may be just past the second underpass. Can't remember exactly, but I'm sure that's the Wat you're looking for. Your intnetions are good. We (my daughter and I) were going to do something similiar, but when we drove in to the place, the was a monk sitting at the entrance gate SMOKING A CIGARETTE. That turned us off. We still drove in and looked around a bit. It's a huge place and probably a hundred or more orphans. If you still want to do the good deed, I think you may have to make arrangements in advance. I've been to a couple others and they have a strict daily routine (schooling, etc). Let us know what you did....

Really grateful for you to share.

Yes, was thinking of catering a simple lunch for the kids . I am not rich, but would love to see them smile.

I will do this whenever I travel Thailand, like the last trip, I drove to an unknown mountain, donating daily products to those minority . Before I started, I packed items like rice, oil, toothpaste, medicine, milk & ovaltine.

I stuff the whole car and deliver a packet by packet to their house. It's somewhere in Nan area. I feel very happy after all this, although it's just a little gift, but I am very happy that I have chance to do this.

I would want to know how to make arrangement with them and what amount is needed to cater a lunch for them. :jap:

** Correct me if I am wrong. I think Thai monks can eat meat right? And I don't know can they smoke ciggarette or not, but smoking in public with the yellow robe, it's not that pleasant to see.

Not sure if this will help. I was there about six months ago, Wat Don Chan. If you are on the superhiway going south - from Big C, it is just after the first underpass (easy to miss, it's on the left down a small soi. OR It may be just past the second underpass. Can't remember exactly, but I'm sure that's the Wat you're looking for. Your intnetions are good. We (my daughter and I) were going to do something similiar, but when we drove in to the place, the was a monk sitting at the entrance gate SMOKING A CIGARETTE. That turned us off. We still drove in and looked around a bit. It's a huge place and probably a hundred or more orphans. If you still want to do the good deed, I think you may have to make arrangements in advance. I've been to a couple others and they have a strict daily routine (schooling, etc). Let us know what you did....

Edited by sunnyhor

You can go to the Wat and talk with them about a lunch and a date for it. They have some ladies around there that will buy the food and cook it for you. They can give you a price for it in advance and you can choose some of the things you would like them to prepare and the prices are different for different things. At least this is the way it was a some years ago when I did it several times. Sorry, I do not remember the cost but it is not too high, maybe around 4-6,000 Baht now depending on how many kids they have. Could have been 3-4,000 when we did it. Anyway, it seemed fairly priced and the food was good, yes I ate it too.

Going south past Big C, the first underpass is the road to the airport and Don Jan intersection is the second underpass. Watch carefully for the first Soi after the underpass. If you get to the Isuzu dealer you have gone past it and will need to back up carefully. It is a ways down the soi, maybe 100+ meters. That is my recollection, not guaranteed but confident.

If you do it, the kids will be happy and give you smiles. Probably sing some songs for you too.

Thank you mate!!! Appreciate. I think I better search for their contact like email, pre arrange before I go.

* I would like to know is there a way to contact Wat Don Jan by email ?

Thank you again! :jap:

You can go to the Wat and talk with them about a lunch and a date for it. They have some ladies around there that will buy the food and cook it for you. They can give you a price for it in advance and you can choose some of the things you would like them to prepare and the prices are different for different things. At least this is the way it was a some years ago when I did it several times. Sorry, I do not remember the cost but it is not too high, maybe around 4-6,000 Baht now depending on how many kids they have. Could have been 3-4,000 when we did it. Anyway, it seemed fairly priced and the food was good, yes I ate it too.

Going south past Big C, the first underpass is the road to the airport and Don Jan intersection is the second underpass. Watch carefully for the first Soi after the underpass. If you get to the Isuzu dealer you have gone past it and will need to back up carefully. It is a ways down the soi, maybe 100+ meters. That is my recollection, not guaranteed but confident.

If you do it, the kids will be happy and give you smiles. Probably sing some songs for you too.

Edited by sunnyhor

Contact Pra Walawit: Email: naikham

[email protected] Tel: 087 300 343

or Wat Don Jan Chaing Mai-Lumpang Road, Tasala, Mueng Tel: 053-240-184

You might try that contact which I just found by googling Wat Don Jan Chiang Mai. Check it out with google, there are other stories possibly with other references.

Edited by Dante99

Thanks again mate!

Is the email naikham

[email protected] or [email protected]

I google-D but cannot find similar to yours. Maybe my Google machine needs update! LOL

Will contact them. Cheers !!

Contact Pra Walawit: Email: naikham

[email protected] Tel: 087 300 343

or Wat Don Jan Chaing Mai-Lumpang Road, Tasala, Mueng Tel: 053-240-184

You might try that contact which I just found by googling Wat Don Jan Chiang Mai. Check it out with google, there are other stories possibly with other references.

Edited by sunnyhor

• 1 month later...

We use to go to orphanages a few years back to serve lunch, which is the best thing to do. If you donate money or dry goods there is no guarantee that all of it will go to the children.

Some of these places are very shady indeed, twice we tried to give lunch to an all girls orphanage but were told twice that they were on a camping trip. Didn't sound quite right.

People serve lunch to the children all the time. One year we brought a few ice cream wagons into the orphanage and gave them something different. Kids loved it and was a great break from their daily routine. We have plans to go back and set up a little carnival for them sometime to brighten their days when we have a chance. But feel free to do it before we get to it !

I feel so happy seeing them enjoy the lunch! It's a great thing to do.

We use to go to orphanages a few years back to serve lunch, which is the best thing to do. If you donate money or dry goods there is no guarantee that all of it will go to the children.

Some of these places are very shady indeed, twice we tried to give lunch to an all girls orphanage but were told twice that they were on a camping trip. Didn't sound quite right.

People serve lunch to the children all the time. One year we brought a few ice cream wagons into the orphanage and gave them something different. Kids loved it and was a great break from their daily routine. We have plans to go back and set up a little carnival for them sometime to brighten their days when we have a chance. But feel free to do it before we get to it !