Flood Risk Between Mukdahan And Ubon Ratchathani

Stekmer

On Nov 25th I'll be heading from BKK to Udon Thani to Nakon Phanom, That Phanom to Mukdahan and then Ubon Ratchathani for a flight back to BKK on Dec 5th.

I see the current Google crisis map has Udon Thani, Nakon Phanom and Mukdahan areas marked as 'Normal' but Ubon Ratchathani markes as 'Medium Risk' of flooding

I know it is impossible to predict what will happen with the fllooding an hour ahead let alone 3 or 4 weeks ahead - would value reports from people in Ubon Ratchathani about current situation and what they consider the immediate future might be.

I'm bokked into a the Sri Isan Hotel, less than 1 Km from the river - is this a bit close??

Thank you pnustedt, sounds reassuring.

Have there been problems with flooding (more than the usual for the region) over the past few months?

It's quite hard to get accurate information through the media and usual channels to plan a trip, particularly under the current circumstances with flooding across the country.

Thanks again for the reply

Thank you pnustedt, sounds reassuring.

Have there been problems with flooding (more than the usual for the region) over the past few months?

It's quite hard to get accurate information through the media and usual channels to plan a trip, particularly under the current circumstances with flooding across the country.

Thanks again for the reply

first today, my family has reached Mukhdahan coming from Hua Hin and they are heading to Nakhon Phanom in the worse of the flooding (by Yellow bus)

Secondly, the Monsoon is moving south. This year the movement of the monsoon is lagging, but in 4 weeks it should have disappear from the area Bangkok included and be in southern Thailand/ Malaysia.

So the flooding is expected to recede and we should be already in the premises of the Dry season. So end of November you should be quiet.

Was on the phone with my wife half an hour ago, very slow but safe trip from Hua Hin to Mukdahan.

There has been quite a lot of flooding in and around Ubon - there is every year at this time. The sensational media reports are due to the floods affecting Bkk this year. Last year Isaan was worse hit with Korat being underwater, the previous year the main floods were nearer to Buriram. For some reason Thailand can't seem to get its' mind round the fact that it rains in the rainy season. Anyway, water should start abating soon and all will be well until next year - expect a drought in May tho!

Thanks pnustedt.

I'm and glad your family made it safely Jerrytheyoung - hope the rest of the journey to Nakhon Phanom goes well.

I'm looking forward to spending some time in quieter rural places along the Mekong and it sounds like flooding and rains will have moved on by late November - great news.

Thanks again

Thanks pnustedt.

I'm and glad your family made it safely Jerrytheyoung - hope the rest of the journey to Nakhon Phanom goes well.

I'm looking forward to spending some time in quieter rural places along the Mekong and it sounds like flooding and rains will have moved on by late November - great news.

Thanks again

Mukdahan is as dry as a bone. The Mekong has dropped 10 mtrs over the past 6 weeks but there was never any real flooding here, only in a few small areas on the north end of town when the creeks back up during heavy rain. Its currently the best weather in months, blue sky and sunshine.

Thanks pnustedt.

Thanks again

Mukdahan is as dry as a bone. The Mekong has dropped 10 mtrs over the past 6 weeks but there was never any real flooding here, only in a few small areas on the north end of town when the creeks back up during heavy rain. Its currently the best weather in months, blue sky and sunshine.

2nd that! And Ubon is much the same. A bit of localized flooding around the Moon River, but nothing to stop the world.

Cheers

>I'll be heading from BKK to Udon Thani

The only flooding you'll see today is heading out of Bangkok. If you are going by road there are diversions around Saraburi main highway to Isaan. Most of NE Thailand is dry and dusty now. End of rains there. Hopefully by late November you're route out of Bangkok will be clear too?

I went Sisaket -> Ubon -> Mukdahan this week and only place were the road looked like it could flood were between Sisaket and Ubon and the first part of the ring road in Ubon. After that we did not see any signs of flooding at all.

We were very surprised that the Mekong wasn't higher that it were when we reached Mukdahan.