Many Farangs Laughing At Thai'S Overreaction To Floods

drronnie

No trouble believing that at all.

I saw it complete different. The Farangs like me stocking water and pumps and the Thais laughing. Now when the water comes the Thais went into panic mode as they don't have as much at home.

It seems the Chinese ethnic is a bit better prepared.

Yes that's the relatively polite version of the racist bilge we heard at the PAD rallies which you attended and reported on.

I did not hear that from PAD, yet. But looking at my village it is 90 % true. Today we had 5 cm and the Thais went into panic mode and the supermarkets were empty....Here the small mum and paps shops (Chinese) still have everything and most probably overcharge now.

It might be racist, but here in my village it fully passes the reality check.

Approx. 1 week (or 10 day) ago my wife gave everyone of the staff 3.000 Baht (as gift!) and told them to buy water and food for their homes and families. On Friday we gave the salary and my wife asked them if they stocked up and EVERYONE told "no".

I would fully understand if you wouldn't believe it. I wouldn't believe it if I wouldn't have seen it myself.

Many of these Thais have been flooded before and they have a long collective memory........any farang laughing at them would be wise to remember that.

Long collective memories?, pity they could not remember to maintain a few pumps, dredge some canals, fix sluice gates, empty some dams, build bigger dykes. They certainly seem to have forgotten it started raining in July.

ph34r.gif

Naturally you are gifted with hindsight 20/20 vision, I've just done a search for your topic in July stating that BKK would be flooding in October..............oops, couldn't find it.

It's been stated and reported elsewhere that there has been some inept flood management. I don't think anyone is amazed to hear that. It doesn't get away from the fact that it is the people who are paying the price. A shockingly high price in many cases.

The different responses are fascinating.

Yes, from here in Thonburi, I have seen it all too. Different people, different reaction.

The panic buying has certainly added to people's woes, as well as some profiteering I have heard about out of the city. 1 litre of water 168 baht (168??? sems an odd price though).

The only thing that I have found to be annoying and potentially selfish, are drivers who have parked their cars on bridges etc, I worry that having now only 1 lane on most bridges is a safety issue as well as restricting the movement of emergency vehicles.

As I mentioned in another post, the REAL issue now is whats coming after the floods. Do be prepared: disinfectant and insect sprays are essential. Disease will be rife as well as a huge increase in the insect population.

Totally agree im flooded in nothaburi and if that idiot government had given better information id be better prepared. (maybe even set up base somewhere else. I got enough water and food, but for my nerves it would have been better if my bikes were gone (not anymore because the water does not rise as much anymore).

Which side of the river are you on? If you were on the left side then it shouldn't have been a surprise at all. That area is entirely lowland and has been on emergency watch since the beginning.

Every river has TWO left sides. Reminds me of the old blond joke. " Two blondes walking along the river. One on each side. One hollers over to the other one.. How do I get on the other side???!!! The other one replies.You ARE on the other side stupid!....

Naturally you are gifted with hindsight 20/20 vision, I've just done a search for your topic in July stating that BKK would be flooding in October..............oops, couldn't find it.

Clearly you require work on those searching skills. There just happens to be a monsoon every year and this year's rainfall and water accumulation is possibly the highest on record. Towns and villages have been flooded for weeks well before its arrival in Bangkok.

This video will help you understand what goes on over here, its in Thai but has English subtitles.

ph34r.gif

I'm not laughing. I wish I had read the signs earlier. Hoarding within reason is a basic survival tactic.

There is an Austrian rule, but most probably it applies to everywhere:

If the government tells "Don't panic, no hoarding necessary", go into panic mode and buy as much as you can carry.

It applies everywhere, and most specifically here too. If the public thought the government could handle the situation, they wouldn't do it.

Overreacting, hoarding, hillarious, blocking overpasses, I've read it all and to me it's unbelievable1

Have you ever lost some or all of your belongings to a natural disaster? I have, twice in the US and now here. The first time was not a problem, all that was left was the water pipes sticking out of the ground, no cleanup required. The second was a flash flood in a non flood prone area. 1 meter of water in the house. Everythig trashed including the hardwood floors and sheetrock walls-expensive and lenghy repair. Now I have water up to the forth step inside my house in Bangkok. At least we knew it was coming and moved everything to the second floor. I'm also lucky to have another house in a dry province where I actually live full time so I don't have any relocation costs. I'm sure that the cleanup cost in Bangkok will be extensive after the water resides since everything that was tierd down is ruined.

The shelves in the local Tesco market and 7-11 are empty and theres is no drinking water. Maybe people are hoarding but did you ever think that the shelves can't be restocked because the distribution centers are flooded and not accessable. The Tesco distribution center near my house in Bang Bua Thong has 1.5 meters of water inside and the access roads are flooded.

Complaints of overpasses blocked and down to one lane because cars are parked on them. These people don't have the luxury of having high rise parking garages to park there vehicles in, If it really floods, their car might be the only dry possession that they have left. I have free parking for your vehicle in Bang Bua Thong in front of my house. Opps, there's only one problem 2 meters of water! Nobody, not even the government, is saying anything about the Thais that are living on the sides of the roads in makeshift shelters and have lost all of their belongings, only that they are blocking the roads and making it hard to get around. If it was you where would you go?

Many Thais have lost everything that they own: houses, crope, belongings, cars, tractors, animals and in some cases family. Many do not do not have the financial ability to rebuild rapidly once the water recides but the ones that I've talked to still have the will.

Instead of complaining and stateing how hilarious the situation is why don't you volunteer and help. You obviously came to Thailand to visit or live because you like it. If you don't why don't you leave. Or better yet go to the beach, dig a hole and put your head in it where it belongs

Overreacting, hoarding, hillarious, blocking overpasses, I've read it all and to me it's unbelievable1

Have you ever lost some or all of your belongings to a natural disaster? I have, twice in the US and now here. The first time was not a problem, all that was left was the water pipes sticking out of the ground, no cleanup required. The second was a flash flood in a non flood prone area. 1 meter of water in the house. Everythig trashed including the hardwood floors and sheetrock walls-expensive and lenghy repair. Now I have water up to the forth step inside my house in Bangkok. At least we knew it was coming and moved everything to the second floor. I'm also lucky to have another house in a dry province where I actually live full time so I don't have any relocation costs. I'm sure that the cleanup cost in Bangkok will be extensive after the water resides since everything that was tierd down is ruined.

The shelves in the local Tesco market and 7-11 are empty and theres is no drinking water. Maybe people are hoarding but did you ever think that the shelves can't be restocked because the distribution centers are flooded and not accessable. The Tesco distribution center near my house in Bang Bua Thong has 1.5 meters of water inside and the access roads are flooded.

Complaints of overpasses blocked and down to one lane because cars are parked on them. These people don't have the luxury of having high rise parking garages to park there vehicles in, If it really floods, their car might be the only dry possession that they have left. I have free parking for your vehicle in Bang Bua Thong in front of my house. Opps, there's only one problem 2 meters of water! Nobody, not even the government, is saying anything about the Thais that are living on the sides of the roads in makeshift shelters and have lost all of their belongings, only that they are blocking the roads and making it hard to get around. If it was you where would you go?

Many Thais have lost everything that they own: houses, crope, belongings, cars, tractors, animals and in some cases family. Many do not do not have the financial ability to rebuild rapidly once the water recides but the ones that I've talked to still have the will.

Instead of complaining and stateing how hilarious the situation is why don't you volunteer and help. You obviously came to Thailand to visit or live because you like it. If you don't why don't you leave. Or better yet go to the beach, dig a hole and put your head in it where it belongs

Your experience in Emergency Services is obviously, from your comments, far more extensive than mine. Firstly, I doubt that the Thias who are suffering this tragedy have cars or the luxury of parking them on Public roads at the detriment of any one else. That is my point. I'm sorry, but for me, access for emergency services is far more important than some individual (or groups of individuals) who is trying to save his car. Sense of perspective here may help ! Its a car.....its not a life !!

I agree that "Many Thais have lost everything that they own: houses, crope, belongings, cars, tractors, animals and in some cases family" and this is a tragedy.

You also make claims that the posters "Instead of complaining and stateing how hilarious the situation is why don't you volunteer and help".

Frankly, you don't know what others are doing.

Sure, some have made derogatory posts that are at best, ill-timed.

Frankly, you have assumed way too much about other posters to this topic and perhaps their experience too.

Maybe I assumed too much. If the people that write the "ill timed" comments promise to go put their heads in the sand, I'll promise to never respond to aThai Visa blog again!

Your experience in Emergency Services is obviously, from your comments, far more extensive than mine. Firstly, I doubt that the Thias who are suffering this tragedy have cars or the luxury of parking them on Public roads at the detriment of any one else. That is my point. I'm sorry, but for me, access for emergency services is far more important than some individual (or groups of individuals) who is trying to save his car. Sense of perspective here may help ! Its a car.....its not a life !!

I agree that "Many Thais have lost everything that they own: houses, crope, belongings, cars, tractors, animals and in some cases family" and this is a tragedy.

You also make claims that the posters "Instead of complaining and stateing how hilarious the situation is why don't you volunteer and help".

Frankly, you don't know what others are doing.

Sure, some have made derogatory posts that are at best, ill-timed.

Frankly, you have assumed way too much about other posters to this topic and perhaps their experience too.

Dear Wayned,

some of those whose posts that were ill-timed (at best) were by people who just may not truly understand.

Give them the benefit of the doubt.

If they do realise the extent of the tragedy, well, its their ignorance showing through.

Regards

Please, PLEASE to everyone, make sure that you have enough disinfectant and insect spray to handle the after effects.

I actually help where I can. But recall the Tsunami when the helpers got problems because they had no work permit.

Clearly you require work on those searching skills. There just happens to be a monsoon every year and this year's rainfall and water accumulation is possibly the highest on record. Towns and villages have been flooded for weeks well before its arrival in Bangkok.

This video will help you understand what goes on over here, its in Thai but has English subtitles.

ph34r.gif

Researching skills are fine........I am aware that there has been a record downpour, I was in Chiang Mai when it flooded. I have also read that El Nino is to blame for this years unusual downpour. I'm not a meteorologist but I believe El Nino is cyclical. I've also read that there were reports last year stating that an unusual downpour was expected this year. However!! The problem is, you can guarantee that someone, somewhere is predicting weather events next year already. Those that get it wrong keep quiet, those that get it right jump up and down and say, " Look at me!! I'm so clever ".

I am also aware that the flooding has been making it's way gradually down the country, and equally aware that the government response has been shoddy. No one is shocked at that. You may have missed the point of the topic though........farangs laughing at the over-reaction of Thais. If they are......they're nuts. Back to my original point, the Thais have a long collective memory of flooding.

If your point is, they should have prepared better for it, then I agree. However it doesn't get away from the fact that as far as I can see the people paying the highest price are the people who had least control over government flood policy.

There are probably hundreds of engineers on Thaivisa that could have done a fabulous job with three months notice of mitigating the problems now faced. However as the law stands, ( and Thai culture too maybe? as per another topic currently running ), an offer of help is useless. As the previous poster said, there were even refusals of help after the tsunami as the proper permits were not in hand. This is Thailand!! What can we do but enjoy the best parts and grind our teeth in frustration at the worst parts.

Edited by theblether