PM Yingluck: Bangkok’s Floods Likely To Recede In First Week Of Nov

webfact

PM: Bangkok’s Floods Likely to Recede in First Week of Nov

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said on her weekly radio show that she is confident Bangkok’s flooding will recede in the first week of November after the government speed up draining floodwater to the city’s empty canals.

The prime minister revealed that all relevant agencies such as the Royal Irrigation Department, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, or BMA, the Industry Ministry and the Waterworks Authority of Thailand are joining hands to speed up diverting the floodwater to canals in the eastern part of Bangkok.

Yingluck stated she ordered the BMA and the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry to drain the floodwater through San Saeb Canal.

However, she admitted difficulties in draining the floodwater from the western part of Bangkok, but the irrigation agency is rushing to fix leaking flood walls along the Chao Phraya River bank.

The premier also instructed the transport minister to use metal planks to force floodwater to the Chao Phraya and Tha Chin rivers.

Yingluck pointed out that if the plan is successful, the water level in Bangkok will drop to a lower level.

The PM said she believed the flooding in Bangkok will start to recede in the first week of November.

She also added the flooding situation in the central region has begun to return to normal as water levels in Nakhon Sawan and Chainat provinces have started to recede.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-29

footer_n.gif

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok floods to ease in early November: PM

by Anusak Konglang

BANGKOK, October 29, 2011 (AFP) - Floods engulfing parts of the Thai capital should start to recede soon, the prime minister said Saturday after barriers along Bangkok's swollen main river prevented a disastrous overflow.

The city of 12 million people was on heightened alert because of a seasonal high tide that was expected to coincide with the arrival of runoff water from the central plains, where people have endured weeks of flood misery.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who has previously warned the floods could last for weeks, said the authorities had expedited the flow of runoff water from the north through canals in the east and west of the capital.

"If everyone works hard ... then the floodwater in Bangkok will start to recede in the first week of November," Yingluck said in a weekly radio and television address to the nation.

She said the overall flood situation in central parts of Thailand had improved and volumes of water flowing through Bangkok's main river, the Chao Phraya, had decreased.

Yingluck's two-month-old administration has faced public criticism for giving confusing advice about the extent of the flood threat.

For a third day running there was minor flooding in Bangkok's riverside areas, including by the Grand Palace, but the high tide of 2.5 metres (eight feet) above sea level was lower than feared and most of the city was dry.

"I'm not too worried. It's only a little bit of water. It's not similar to outside Bangkok," said Sidaphat Ausanarassamee, 32, standing behind a wall of sandbags in front of her small wicker shop in Chinatown.

"It affects my business. Nobody is buying anything," she added, laughing, as children played in knee-high water in the street and orange-clad monks snapped pictures of the scene with their mobile telephones.

Within Bangkok, residential areas in the northern outskirts of the city, as well as on the western side of the Chao Phraya river have so far been worst hit, with waist-deep water in places.

The government announced it was moving its emergency flood relief centre from the city's second airport Don Mueang after rising water led to a power blackout.

Tens of thousands of residents have left Bangkok, with many heading to coastal resorts away from the path of the water, after the government declared a special five-day holiday.

The three-month crisis -- triggered by unusually heavy monsoon rains -- has left at least 381 people dead and damaged millions of homes and livelihoods, mostly in northern and central Thailand.

The Pentagon said Thailand had asked a US destroyer to extend its stay at a main port to allow two American helicopters to survey the deadly flood waters.

Most of the country's top tourist destinations and the main airport have been unaffected although countries including the United States and Britain have advised against all but essential travel to Bangkok.

French tourist Philippe Ponel, 24, on his first trip to Thailand, was among those taking pictures of inundated streets in Chinatown.

"I think the people in Bangkok don't fear the floods at all. They just keep going on with their daily lives. I saw people cooking in the streets with water all around them," he said.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-29

If Yingluck tells: "Bangkok’s Floods Likely To Recede In First Week Of Nov" we can be sure that we have flood longer than 1 week.

TV just showed our area with approx. 30 days of floods.

I think enough of this nonsense, can, please, someone make a coup?

How? I thought the majority of the water is still up in Ayutthaya.

No problem, all 6-10 billion cubic meters can easily be drained through the "empty" Saen Saeb, which runs right through downtown - or so the may think - since the now dig up roads in the east and perhaps alseo in lad Phrao and Wang Tng Lang for the purpose. Desparation at play, it seems.

I didn't think that someone is still seriously discussing the misinformation from Yingluck. Just lies lies and lies. Or just telling what sounds most convenience at the moment.

Does anybody really care what this woman says? She has never been right in her statements yet... why bother reporting all this nonsense when she has zero creditability!

If Yingluck tells: "Bangkok's Floods Likely To Recede In First Week Of Nov" we can be sure that we have flood longer than 1 week.

What you saw on TV was a worse case scenario not the most likely scenario. It's obvious that the most likely outcome is no flooding or light flooding in central Bangkok. Central Thailand floods are receding. Stop thinking the worse case will happen. It's unlikely.

And while I am still on this subject what Water Management credentials does this clone PM have to suggest what she has suggested?

Can the Nation along with Thai Visa please verify these statements before publishing them. This subject is much alike two elderly women in my village doing a bit of "nin tah" (gossip) where neither have any facts at all to substantiate what they are talking about.

Cheers

Prayuth has publicly stated that there are no generals now stupid enough to stage a coup. Why would they?

Then they would be responsible for everything. They are in a perfect position now to gain face for mobilizing 50,000 troops to help.

Although I take anything this *cough* government says with a lot of salt, I hope that she is right.

They have to do something to let the water flow.

I am starting to get a little sick of so many people saying that everything the authorities are doing or thinking about doing to be desperation/stupid/misguided/politically motivated etc.

Come guys, you try to be in their shoes. Have you seen how exhausted Sukhumbhand appears?

Every time I see him on TV, he speaks more softly.

The worst apparently over: Agriculture Minister Posted 2011-10-16 21:40:25

BANGKOK: -- Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut assured Bangkok residents living along the Chao Phraya River that the worst is over, as water peaked yesterday at 2.29 metres against the 2.5-metre flood barrier height.

At the Flood Relief Operations Centre press conference today, he added that water level in Singburi and Ayutthaya tends to be lower today as massive run-off from Nakhon Sawan has passed Bangkok.

This is an assurance to Bangkok residents, now that all five industrial estates in Ayutthaya are submerged in water, with Factory Land being the latest victim. Full efforts are being mobilised to protect Nava Nakorn Industrial Estate and Bang Kradi Industrial Estate in Pathum Thani.

Royal Irrigation Department Director-General Chalit Damrongsak added that from this day on, the water level in Chao Phraya River will stabilise while water from Ayutthaya will be diverted to East of Bangkok and possibly Chiang Rak Noi in Pathum Thani with consent from villagers.

He also thanked residents along Rangsit Khlong 8-10 for their cooperation. Now, the department is putting as many pumps as possible at Khlong 10 to drain water to the Gulf of Thailand.

He said that as much water as possible would be drained before the sea level would rise during October 28-30.

At the subsequent press conference, FROC also announced that the Royal Thai Army would handle the water management in five provinces - Nakhon Sawan, Ayutthaya, Lop Buri, Pathum Thani and Nonthaburi.

Amid news that foreign travellers are cancelling their trips to Thailand, FROC said that Suvarnabhumi Airport and other transportation modes as well as hotels in Bangkok are safe from floods.

Ring any bells ? whistling.gif

Edited by siampolee

If Yingluck tells: "Bangkok's Floods Likely To Recede In First Week Of Nov" we can be sure that we have flood longer than 1 week.

And a coup will solve the flooding? Will the rains and run off stop?

Your comment demonstrates the selfesh perspective of many of the foreigners whining and complaining. You don't care about anyoone else except your perceived needs.

It is irresponsible and reprehensible for you to advocate an illegal act that would toss aside a democratically elected government all because you a guest in the country is unhappy.

Is it any wonder why some Thais despise foreigners when some foreigners advocate criminal acts against the people of Thailand?

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration submitted its 11-point proposal in writing to the government's Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC), calling for urgent decision.

The proposal called on the government to order the Royal Irrigation Department, which is overseen by a minister from the coalition Chart Thai Pattana Party, to ensure all the working pumps at the key sluice gates at Canal 13 and Nong Chok be switched on to help with the movement of water towards the sea.

The BMA also called for the opening of watergates in canals between Ayutthaya and Pathum Thani in order to reduce and divert the water pressure from Rapipat Canal 1 above Bangkok, and to keep the sluice gate at Rangsit Canal 1 closed to prevent more water flowing into the city.

The government was also urged to order urgent repair of the damaged sluice gates, which are important to protect Bangkok from severe flooding.

There were no reports about the government response to the BMA proposal.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20111029-307573.html

PM calls on Bangkokians to be patient for three more days

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra Saturday begged Bangkokians to be patient for three more days, saying the flood situation would improve on Tuesday.

Speaking during her weekly radio program, Yingluck said the situation would be worsened from Saturday to Monday because of the sea high tide.

She said the flood level would reduce after the high tide because not all massive floodwaters would flow overland into Bangkok as earlier expected.

She said floodwaters in upstream provinces had gradually flown downstream via several canals instead of flowing overland to inundate Bangkok as earlier expected.

She said the authorities were also running against time to drain the overflow waters via Saen Sab, Thawee Wattana and other canals.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-29

Better not to trust her, as she is usually a good contrarian indicator. Being surrounded by minders and advisors whose sole qualifications for office are the favours done for her escaped convict brother, and not being an intellectual giant herself, her credibility is rather low.

Edited by Arkady

Now 3 days but just wait it will change a few more times before the day is over

Take your choice from the time-frame of the days lengths shown below that are relevant to our solar system and possibly from whence some of our politicians came from.whistling.gif

Mercury4222.62 Venus28023 Pluto153.2824 Mars24.65975 Earth24 Uranus17.247 Neptune16.118 Saturn10.6569 Jupiter9.9259

Edited by siampolee

PM believes Bangkok flooding will recede early November

image_201110291234214E2BEE8E-EA76-7AED-09DEA8C459995E93.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 29 -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Saturday said she believed the floodwater in Bangkok could reduce by the first week of November if relevant agencies could control the drainage of water, while the government has made preparations to rehabilitate public, agricultural and industrial sectors.

She also urged shops not to stockpile consumer goods to help solve the shortage of supplies to people.

Ms Yingluck, who appeared by phone-in on her weekly TV programme "Yingluck Government Meets the People" on National Broadcasting Television (NBT) or Channel 11 and simulcast on Radio Thailand, said that according to the working group, the flood situation in the central provinces was returning to normal.

Floodwater in Nakhon Sawan and Chai Nat was receding, as water flowed into rivers and canals which could also reduce the water level in Chao Phraya Dam, she said, adding that the water volume at Ayutthaya's Bang Sai was also lower, cutting the volume of water to Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani and Bangkok which can consider a good news.

She said the working group, which was comprised of all relevant government agencies and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), recommended speeding up the drainage of floodwater in both the west and east of Bangkok which would eventually reduce the water level in the capital.

If the water inflow can be regulated, the flooding in Bangkok could be reduced by the first week of November.

As for the consumer food and product supplies shortage, the government would seek out distribution centres in provinces that had no flood problems and deliver goods to Bangkok by road and boat, she said.

Meanwhile, she urged shops not to stockpile products in order to distribute to all people in need.

Ms Yingluck was scheduled to fly by helicopter to inspect the flood situation along the Noi River in Lop Buri as well as the west and east of Bangkok, before ending the trip at Klong Sip in Pathum Thani to visit flood victims.

The premier later told reporters before meeting with the Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC) director and Minister of Justice Gen Pol Pracha Promnok, National Police Chief Pol Gen Priewpan Damapong that she would discuss with relevant agencies over the proposal to extend the days off after the cabinet announced Oct 27-31 as public holidays.

If extending the holiday could keep people outside of Bangkok, it would be of benefit for authorities tackling the flood problem, she said.

She said that the relocation of the FROC from flooded Don Mueang Airport to PTT headquarters on Vibhavadi Road would have no impact on FROC operations. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-10-29

"Ms Yingluck was scheduled to fly by helicopter to inspect the flood situation along the Noi River in Lop Buri as well as the west and east of Bangkok, before ending the trip at Klong Sip in Pathum Thani to visit flood victims."

If she keeps on flying in helicopters maintained by the Thai military or police her longevity as PM may be even shorter than expected. Even the army commander is scared to fly in those things.

Your comment demonstrates the selfesh perspective of many of the foreigners whining and complaining. You don't care about anyoone else except your perceived needs.

It is irresponsible and reprehensible for you to advocate an illegal act that would toss aside a democratically elected government all because you a guest in the country is unhappy.

Is it any wonder why some Thais despise foreigners when some foreigners advocate criminal acts against the people of Thailand?

For once I agree with GK, this constant shouting for a coup is rather disturbing.

this is good news

but I have a question and I'm sorry if I missed something over the last 2 weeks but

WHERE IS ..........."CHALERM" this guy has gone from being extremmely loud to ..........nothing

I must say this is very strange.................was he the government minister that ordered the dams to stay shut a few months ago so he is in hiding or has he been sacked or has he the ability to desert his post at a time of great need

his silence is very loud

this is good news

but I have a question and I'm sorry if I missed something over the last 2 weeks but

WHERE IS ..........."CHALERM" this guy has gone from being extremmely loud to ..........nothing

I must say this is very strange.................was he the government minister that ordered the dams to stay shut a few months ago so he is in hiding or has he been sacked or has he the ability to desert his post at a time of great need

his silence is very loud

ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE was such an uproar from the red affiliated about Abhisit going to Bali for 2 days.... Where is CHALERM and the other likely lads.

After all he IS a deputy prime minister.

so we have gone from 4-6 weeks to 3 days? This is great news but not for the locals that fled to Pattaya and Hu hin securing 1 month rentals

I think its pretty clear the "3 days" refers to when the worst of the flood will be over, when the water will start to recede. That doesn't mean all the flood waters will be gone in 3 days.

The 4 to 6 weeks was an estimate of how long it will take for all of the flood waters to flow to the sea, such that no flooding, anywhere, exists anymore.

Both are only estimates - no one can really be certain how this will play out - too many variables, too little precedent.

It seems to me many posters are just looking for any excuse they can to bash the Prime Minister - even going so far as to twist her words. I'm not her biggest defender,

but I really don't think she should be the central issue right now.

Why not bash the Dutch expert, who predicted 1 meter of water throughout Bangkok?

And it is very very irresponsible and very very reprehensible that the paymaster (as per his own statements "Thaksin thinks.....") came up with lots of handouts, and using a smokescreen which he calls democracy and equal justice, won an election (read manipulated the masses) and the promises have not been delivered, and he dumped his totally inexperienced sister into the PMs chair and then surrounded her with totally incapable insincere thugs and cronies. All just for the selfish whims of one highly irresponsible and highly reprehensible convicted criminal.

Nobody could have stopped the floods, but there could have been much better management of the whole situation and the result is that 360 people have died, and several million people have lost everything with no resources left whatever. All for the whims of your scaly idol who claims he is the champion of the poor etc.

Actually g'kid, I don't complain and whine in regard to my own needs, I just want a more honest and more capable government run by intelligent capable sincere people for the sake of my children and my grandchildren. It that allowable under your principles / is that a fair request?

Edited by scorecard

so we have gone from 4-6 weeks to 3 days? This is great news but not for the locals that fled to Pattaya and Hu hin securing 1 month rentals

I think its pretty clear the "3 days" refers to when the worst of the flood will be over, when the water will start to recede. That doesn't mean all the flood waters will be gone in 3 days.

The 4 to 6 weeks was an estimate of how long it will take for all of the flood waters to flow to the sea, such that no flooding, anywhere, exists anymore.

Both are only estimates - no one can really be certain how this will play out - too many variables, too little precedent.

It seems to me many posters are just looking for any excuse they can to bash the Prime Minister - even going so far as to twist her words. I'm not her biggest defender,

but I really don't think she should be the central issue right now.

Why not bash the Dutch expert, who predicted 1 meter of water throughout Bangkok?

Yeah I know but origanilly it was 1 metre through out BKK as well as a possible 6 weeks before it draines out. Clearly by the latest report the damage has been scaled back quite significantly

From various newsflashed posted in this topic:

- she is confident Bangkok’s flooding will recede in the first week of November after the government speed up draining floodwater to the city’s empty canals.

- However, she admitted difficulties in draining the floodwater from the western part of Bangkok, but the irrigation agency is rushing to fix leaking flood walls along the Chao Phraya River bank.

- Yingluck pointed out that if the plan is successful, the water level in Bangkok will drop to a lower level.

- The PM said she believed the flooding in Bangkok will start to recede in the first week of November.

- "If everyone works hard ... then the floodwater in Bangkok will start to recede in the first week of November," Yingluck said

- Yingluck said the situation would be worsened from Saturday to Monday because of the sea high tide.

- She said the authorities were also running against time to drain the overflow waters via Saen Sab, Thawee Wattana and other canals.

- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Saturday said she believed the floodwater in Bangkok could reduce by the first week of November if relevant agencies could control the drainage of water, while the government has made preparations to rehabilitate public, agricultural and industrial sectors.

- If the water inflow can be regulated, the flooding in Bangkok could be reduced by the first week of November.

To conclude and end on a more positive tone::

according to the working group, the flood situation in the central provinces was returning to normal. I guess when at most you had FIVE meters of floodwater and it drops to ONLY four, that's a big improvement :)

Edited by rubl

BANGKOK, Oct 29 -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Saturday said she believed the floodwater in Bangkok could reduce by the first week of November if relevant agencies could control the drainage of water, while the government has made preparations to rehabilitate public, agricultural and industrial sectors.

She also urged shops not to stockpile consumer goods to help solve the shortage of supplies to people.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-10-29

See ? But it's too late now. Once you say it will last one month, yes, people stockpile. Unfortunately saying now that everything will be better in three days will not refill the shelves...

And it is very very irresponsible and very very reprehensible that the paymaster (as per his own statements "Thaksin thinks.....") came up with lots of handouts, and using a smokescreen which he calls democracy and equal justice, won an election (read manipulated the masses) and the promises have not been delivered, and he dumped his totally inexperienced sister into the PMs chair and then surrounded her with totally incapable insincere thugs and cronies. All just for the selfish whims of one highly irresponsible and highly reprehensible convicted criminal.

Nobody could have stopped the floods, but there could have been much better management of the whole situation and the result is that 360 people have died, and several million people have lost everything with no resources left whatever. All for the whims of your scaly idol who claims he is the champion of the poor etc.

Actually g'kid, I don't complain and whine in regard to my own needs, I just want a more honest and more capable government run by intelligent capable sincere people for the sake of my children and my grandchildren. It that allowable under your principles / is that a fair request?

How could the flood have been better managed?

The main gripe posters have voiced has been concerning the poor communications - there is/was no perfect way to communicate. No one knew/knows for certain what the outcome of the floods will be, they can only offer a range of scenarios. Given the range of outcomes, there comes the question of how to tell the public. If you warn them of the worst case, you risk causing unnecessary panic, with its own set of ill side-effects. If you predict best case scenarios, you reduce panic levels, but increase risks of ill-preparedness. There's not easy answer.

The other theoretical gripe - that the actual management of the water itself has been mismanaged. This is less clear to me. The one issue I can find (but can't prove) regards the ill-concieved idea to hold back waters early on, presumably by the irrigation division. If this is the case, its still a case of 'hindsight is 20/20', but I am willing to conceed that a managerial mistake was made. However, this type of decision, early on, would not have been made by the political elite in Bangkok, but by functionaries.

Beyond that, I see no clear evidence that real-world management mistakes were made - at least not ones reaching 'gross negligence' status. At best, one can point to years of failure to act by successive governments. But, there again, given reports of billions being spent on underground tunnels, starting around 2001, it seems the authorties have been trying to gear up for worsening floods - its just a gargantuan project, and the systems just weren't ready yet.

I'm generally inclined to critisize the Thais and the Thai government, but I too realize I need to be realistic. We (Americans, anyway) didn't do much better with New Orleans, both in terms of failing to act for decades (the potential problem was well known for many, many years), and failing to properly manage the crisis. Remember New Orleans? Remember the way the aid helicopters had to turn back because some of the flood victims took pot-shots at them? Thusfar, I've heard of no reports of Thais shooting at aid workers...

Europeans haven't done much better, to tell the truth. Yeah, the Netherlands is a remarkable case - but, as has been pointed out, they battle the Sea, which is fairly constant. Thailand battles shifting levels of unpredictable flash floods from torrential rains. As for the rest of Europe, there have been plenty of floods as a result of man-made shifts in the various main waterways (resulting in straighter, less voluminous rivers, and less capacity to absorb water).