Indian Food

klinpree

Nan bread is normally cooked in a Tandoor if cooked correctly.

"Tandoor" is just the Indian name for "oven".

It happens to be a slightly unusual shape and have the opening at the top, and gets very hot, but it's still just an oven. You can get the same result in a regular oven as long as you get the temperature high enough (if yours can cook decent Yorkshire puddings then it can cook Indian bread as well). Pizza ovens are the obvious candidate as they are extremely similar to the tandoor, and also get very hot.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It happens to be a slightly unusual shape and have the opening at the top, and gets very hot, but it's still just an oven. You can get the same result in a regular oven as long as you get the temperature high enough (if yours can cook decent Yorkshire puddings then it can cook Indian bread as well). Pizza ovens are the obvious candidate as they are extremely similar to the tandoor, and also get very hot.

If that is your idea of a normal oven then fine it can be cooked in an ovenpost-80090-0-30300600-1320134976_thumb.j

If it's the place near the muslim school about a kilometre up from suk, its called My Home. I think their food is pretty good and cheap but I'm no Indian food expert. The chicken tikka masala and saffron rice is a particular favorite.

That will presumably be British rather than Indian then. Chicken Tikka Masala is a totally UK invention.

My understanding is that Butter chicken (makkhani murghi) which is actually very similar to Chicken Tikka Masala is authentic Indian.

post-37101-0-77061500-1320135603_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

You might laugh, but it might be possible to cook nan in a hot cast iron skillet w/ no oil in the pan but ghee in the nan. There are lots of Indian immigrants in the developed world and my guess is that they do not make bread in a traditional Indian oven (some no doubt do). I guess when I said what I did I was thinking about the traditional method of cooking, but surely there must be another way to make it. But that Indian restaurant I talked about simply does not make decent nan or anything close to it. I saw two Indian food places yesterday, coming from Jomtien to Pattaya, right after the bridge and before VC Hotel, one on right side and the other on left side of the road. They look like open air shacks, but you never know about the food.

About chicken tikka masala: it is an Indian dish that is delicious. I think it was part of Indian cuisine prior to the British.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

You might laugh, but it might be possible to cook nan in a hot cast iron skillet w/ no oil in the pan but ghee in the nan. There are lots of Indian immigrants in the developed world and my guess is that they do not make bread in a traditional Indian oven (some no doubt do). I guess when I said what I did I was thinking about the traditional method of cooking, but surely there must be another way to make it. But that Indian restaurant I talked about simply does not make decent nan or anything close to it. I saw two Indian food places yesterday, coming from Jomtien to Pattaya, right after the bridge and before VC Hotel, one on right side and the other on left side of the road. They look like open air shacks, but you never know about the food.

About chicken tikka masala: it is an Indian dish that is delicious. I think it was part of Indian cuisine prior to the British.

Chicken Tikka Masala (CTM) is not a traditional Indian dish it is a British bastardisation see below for details:

Firstly, what is Tikka Masala? Tikka is the chunks of meat marinated in spices and cooked on skewers in a tandoor oven. Masala being the tomato, cream and spice sauce. The UK's national dish, according to the former British Foreign Minister, Robin Cook, ranks first place over Fish and Chips. So where did this recipe come from? You would be wrong to believe the recipe originated from India, in fact you'll be hard pushed to find Chicken Tikka Masala in many restaurants there, even today. Some hotel restaurants in India do serve the recipe but this is simply to please their British guests. Many establishments, from London to Glasgow, claim the recipe originated at their restaurant. However, it is impossible to substantiate any of these claims. Since the late 1940's Indian restaurants have taken their place in almost every city, town and village across the UK. Chicken Tikka Masala wasn't on the menu in these restaurants, yet today over 23 million portions a year are sold in UK Indian restaurants alone. The history of Chicken Tikka Masala began with a disgruntled customer, who was served Chicken Tikka, cooked by a Bangladeshi chef. When the meal arrived, the customer enquired 'where's my gravy?' The Tikka was returned to the kitchen and the angry Chef responded by adding a tin of tomato soup and a few spices. Authentic recipe, accident or just an angry and insulted Chef getting his own back on an ignorant customer? Who knows. However, the customer loved his Chicken Tikka with 'gravy' and so the Chicken Tikka Masala was born. Today this legendary dish isn't usually made with a tin of soup, it's a little more complex than that. So, what is the authentic Chicken Tikka Masala recipe, I hear you ask? Well, there isn't one. In 1998 the Real Curry Restaurant Guide conducted a survey on 48 different Chicken Tikka Masala recipes and they found that the only common ingredient was Chicken. There are many variations of this British born dish but none are actually authentic. Chefs across the UK have tweaked and played around with the recipe until they arrived at what, in their opinion, was the best Chicken Tikka Masala recipe. Don't take my word for it, look around on the Internet, in recipe books, anywhere you like and you probably won't find two Chicken Tikka Masala recipes alike. Trail and error is the key and it's a good way of recreating this dish for yourself. Start with a simple recipe and don't be afraid to play around with it. Try looking at a few other, different recipes and take ideas from each of them. Combine the ingredients and don't fall at the first hurdle, you probably won't get it perfect the first time around. Stick at it and I am sure you will find YOUR PERFECT Chicken Tikka Masala. And remember, authenticity is not a factor as there is no authentic recipe.

RabC

Edited by RabC

Interesting history food lesson. I suppose that means the Brits actually invented two tasty dishes: 1) fish and chips (minus the mushy peas) and 2) chicken tikka masala (aka. butter chicken). God save the Queen! Where is a good place to eat chicken tikka masala w/ good paratha or nan in Jomtien-Pattaya?

I still do not believe the British invented Butter Chicken.

Chicken tikka masala, OK, but not Butter Chicken.

What next? That Americans invented sausages because of hot dogs?

Who said the Brits invented Butter Chicken?

Next

Next

Awohalitsiktoli

Touche

You might laugh, but it might be possible to cook nan in a hot cast iron skillet w/ no oil in the pan but ghee in the nan. There are lots of Indian immigrants in the developed world and my guess is that they do not make bread in a traditional Indian oven (some no doubt do).

I wasn't laughing at all. Indian cooking was born (like Chinese and all of SE Asia) from poverty. Not much required in the way of special tools, and nearly all dishes can be made either in a wok-like pan or in some sort of basic clay oven, or indeed both. And often cooked very hot and very fast to save precious firewood.

Back in Europe I always used to make all my Indian breads in an old frying pan with no handle, as I could get the temperature up really high and put it under the grill for the finishing touch if needed. I also used the same pan for doing pizza and large Yorkshire puddings (toad in the hole), both in the oven, and it was perfect for those also.

Next

Awohalitsiktoli

Touche

I thought "butter chicken" was the same as "chicken tikka masala." If you search the net there is a lot of conflicting stuff on whether the Brits invented it or not. Personally, I think not.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

I thought "butter chicken" was the same as "chicken tikka masala." If you search the net there is a lot of conflicting stuff on whether the Brits invented it or not. Personally, I think not.

Talking to myself :) I did a search and discovered that the recipes are almost identical with one exception: chicken tikka masala has butter, cream and tomato; butter chicken has butter and cream (no tomato). I miss good Indian food, but I do not want to take out a bank loan to pay for it!

Another Indian dish that is not Indian is Balti :)

That would maybe be becuase it's a Pakistani dish.

Just drove from Jomtien to Pattaya (near VC hotel) and saw several Indian restaurants: Apna Indian, Haveli Indian, Kohinoor, Punjabi Tadka, Royal Indian Hut (farther down), Madras Darbar (across from Central Festival Mall). Are any of these really good?

Haven't been in a while, but I have enjoyed the food at Punjabi Tadka, as have many other posters here.

BTW, if you google some recipes for Butter chicken, yes Indian Murgh Makhani from India not England, you will see some TOMATO SAUCE element in it.

Edited by Jingthing

1320221986[/url]' post='4816151']

Haven't been in a while, but I have enjoyed the food at Punjabi Tadka, as have many other posters here.

And some others also thought it was terrible.

That is true but mostly positive comments. You won't find total consensus on anything here. But I am not endorsing their food now, as I haven't been in a while. Things often change fast at restaurants.

1320222476[/url]' post='4816180']
1320222112[/url]' post='4816159']
1320221986[/url]' post='4816151']

And some others also thought it was terrible.

That is true but mostly positive comments. You won't find total consensus on anything here. But I am not endorsing their food now, as I haven't been in a while. Things often change fast at restaurants.

Jing I fully agree things change, I wrote my review some time after all the initial glowing reviews. I didn't put mine down to a bad day as it wasn't just one or two dishes but the majority of them that weren't good.

They were closed for quite a long spell, I suspect immigration issues, and now open with a new and more expensive menu. I would suggest fresh visits for fresh opinions.

One thing I did see as I passed the place (Punjabi Tadka) was a couple of Indian or Pakastani guys eating there. I take that as probably a good indication that the food is at least OK. I will try it some day. I also saw the infamous butter chicken being advertised at Khohinoor (had no idea, Jingthing that it too had some tomato in it). In truth, we have a lot of choices. Methinks we are spoiled :)

I also like Indian food but so far my experiences in Pattaya have not been great. The "thoroughbred" Indian places tend to have small portions at big prices and Western style restaurants try their hand at so called International ( British Colonial type) of curry not very successfully so far, IMHO.

Driving down Soi Nern today I noticed in passing what seems to be a bit like a hole in the wall with a sign: Curry Station - Indian Food! Anyone knows/has tried the place?

If it's the place near the muslim school about a kilometre up from suk, its called My Home. I think their food is pretty good and cheap but I'm no Indian food expert. The chicken tikka masala and saffron rice is a particular favorite.

I tried it yesterday. Tikka and saffron rice quite good but at 170 baht total not exactly cheap. Considering the place IS a hole in the wall with the owners wife cooking behind a curtained off section behind the shop which is not even a restaurant/food place but sells leather sandals!

They were closed for quite a long spell, I suspect immigration issues, and now open with a new and more expensive menu. I would suggest fresh visits for fresh opinions.

One thing I did see as I passed the place (Punjabi Tadka) was a couple of Indian or Pakastani guys eating there. I take that as probably a good indication that the food is at least OK. I will try it some day. I also saw the infamous butter chicken being advertised at Khohinoor (had no idea, Jingthing that it too had some tomato in it). In truth, we have a lot of choices. Methinks we are spoiled :)

But unfortunately the choices are quite poor. There's no place with really good food and at a reasonable price.

But unfortunately the choices are quite poor. There's no place with really good food and at a reasonable price.

+1 clap2.gif

Edited by RabC

Another Indian dish that is not Indian is Balti :)

That would maybe be becuase it's a Pakistani dish.

Haha a Paki dish ???? Balti- means bucket and was invented(?) in Brum LOL

What about this? (below). Is there Balti food? One problem, which is obvious to all of us, is that at one time India (including Pakistan) was part of the British Empire. So, it is not surprising that some foods would have been "changed" over time by that relationship, including names of food. So-called "butter chicken" is probably one example along with chicken tikka masala. It might be more accurate to say a "British version of an original Indian dish". I agree that we have too many choices with food that is not that good and too expensive. So, where can we get really good Indian food at a decent price?

Baltistan (Urdu: بلتستان, Balti: བལྟིསྟན), also known as بلتیول བལིུལ་(Baltiyul) in the Balti language, is a region in northern Pakistan which formsGilgit-Baltistan, bordering the Xinjiang Autonomous Region of China. In addition, a part of Baltistan also falls into Jammu and Kashmir of India.[1][2][3][4][5] It is situated in the Karakoram mountains just to the south of K2, the world's second highest mountain. It is an extremely mountainous region, with an average altitude of over 3,350 m (11,000 ft). It is inhabited principally by the Balti people of Tibetan descent.

So, where can we get really good Indian food at a decent price?

Singapore.

Pattaya does have lots of Indian restaurants but overall it is a crappy town for Indian food. Compared to Singapore, so is Bangkok.

Edited by Jingthing

The best value for money has to be the buffets.

The best buffets IMO

Spices2 3rd road 199B

Beverly plaza hotel 2nd road 220B

Both have been reviewed in previous threads.

Unfortunately I am off buffets at the moment, trying to loose a few kilos.

Edited by kevkev1888

The best value for money has to be the buffets.

The best buffets IMO

Spices2 3rd road 199B

Beverly plaza hotel 2nd road 220B

Both have been reviewed in previous threads.

Unfortunately I am off buffets at the moment, trying to loose a few kilos.

Agreed, good value and a serviceable Indian fix. But you can be sure the Indian tour customers aren't writing home about their food there either.