Indian Food

klinpree

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

talk about a little knowledge being dangerous....

Naan is definitely best cooked in a tandoor , sure you could try to cook it in a western style oven, or even a microwave,

but why compromise taste ........the same thing could be said for pizzas, yes you could cook in an oven or microwave but I want mine wood fired

Also how are you going to stick the naan to the sides of the oven? Sounds a bit messy.

There is bit more flexibility when preparing roti, roti canai, chapati etc...

If it ain't from a tandoor, it ain't tandoori

Nan bread is normally cooked in a Tandoor if cooked correctly.

"Tandoor" is just the Indian name for "oven".

It happens to be a slightly unusual shape and have the opening at the top, and gets very hot, but it's still just an oven. You can get the same result in a regular oven as long as you get the temperature high enough (if yours can cook decent Yorkshire puddings then it can cook Indian bread as well). Pizza ovens are the obvious candidate as they are extremely similar to the tandoor, and also get very hot.

Edited by tailspin

talk about a little knowledge being dangerous....

Naan is definitely best cooked in a tandoor , sure you could try to cook it in a western style oven, or even a microwave,

but why compromise taste ........the same thing could be said for pizzas, yes you could cook in an oven or microwave but I want mine wood fired

Also how are you going to stick the naan to the sides of the oven? Sounds a bit messy.

There is bit more flexibility when preparing roti, roti canai, chapati etc...

If it ain't from a tandoor, it ain't tandoori

Nan bread is normally cooked in a Tandoor if cooked correctly.

"Tandoor" is just the Indian name for "oven".

It happens to be a slightly unusual shape and have the opening at the top, and gets very hot, but it's still just an oven. You can get the same result in a regular oven as long as you get the temperature high enough (if yours can cook decent Yorkshire puddings then it can cook Indian bread as well). Pizza ovens are the obvious candidate as they are extremely similar to the tandoor, and also get very hot.

It is the shape of the oven and sticky nature of the dough. As you start getting closer to the top, it curves and that is often the place the bread is placed. I was thinking that it can be cooked another way, only because I saw it in the Middle East at an Indian restaurant. There, they had a large scale version of what I am going to describe. A simple, more practical version would be to buy a really big/good caste iron wok. When you cook with it normally you have a concave shape. So, turn it over so that you have a convex shape. If you have a gas flame, just place it over the flame and cook the bread on top (top of the curve). I saw it work :)

It is the shape of the oven and sticky nature of the dough. As you start getting closer to the top, it curves and that is often the place the bread is placed. I was thinking that it can be cooked another way, only because I saw it in the Middle East at an Indian restaurant. There, they had a large scale version of what I am going to describe. A simple, more practical version would be to buy a really big/good caste iron wok. When you cook with it normally you have a concave shape. So, turn it over so that you have a convex shape. If you have a gas flame, just place it over the flame and cook the bread on top (top of the curve). I saw it work :)

That's called a 'tava' and is used to cook roti on which is what I'm used to from my days in the sandpit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pita.jpg

Edited by PattayaParent

That's called a 'tava' and is used to cook roti on which is what I'm used to from my days in the sandpit.

http://en.wikipedia....i/File:Pita.jpg

Thanks for that. So you too were in the sandpit :) What I saw was much bigger, but very similar. What I was getting from it was very good nan, not just roti. I wish I could remember about "cooking oil." I am not sure if they put oil on it or not, but I think not. The oil was inside the dough in the form of ghee. Somebody needs to to try to make nan using a good thai wok turned upside down and see if it works.

• 2 weeks later...

If any expat is hungry for some good Indian food at a decent price, try the food court at Central Festival Mall. I just had butter chicken there (wonderful) and nan (not so wonderful but nobody makes decent Indian bread in Thailand). Total bill: 150 baht!

If any expat is hungry for some good Indian food at a decent price, try the food court at Central Festival Mall. I just had butter chicken there (wonderful) and nan (not so wonderful but nobody makes decent Indian bread in Thailand). Total bill: 150 baht!

i agree on the butter chicken, delish!...

They were closed for quite a long spell, I suspect immigration issues, and now open with a new and more expensive menu. I would suggest fresh visits for fresh opinions.

I ate in the Punjabi place last night - first time for me since they re-opened.

The small air-con room at the back is now incredibly scruffy. I'm not sure if it's in general use but I was served in there anyway. The air-con wasn't working so it would probably have been a better option to eat at one of the outside tables.

The food: I had vegetarian samosa to start, followed by chicken tikka butter masala and jeera rice. Paneer naan and sweet lassi as side orders. I couldn't find fault with any of it - portions were large and suited my UK Indian taste preference perfectly. Cost was 415 Baht in total.

The prices have certainly gone up since they first opened - probably by about 25%. The menu may be a bit more restricted but I didn't examine it that thoroughly. I don't think that I noticed any mutton dishes on offer but, as I said, I didn't look that carefully.

Service was quick compared to previous occasions - maybe 10 minutes from ordering to getting served but the place wasn't busy so this is maybe not a fair assessment. Only small problem was that everything came together, rather than the starter coming first.

Overall, I still think that this place is one of the better options for Indian food in Pattaya. If you demand ambience by all means go to Indian by Nature or one of the other over-priced outlets but if you just want a tasty meal at a reasonable price try the Punjabi Tadka.

DM

So, where can we get really good Indian food at a decent price?

Singapore.

Pattaya does have lots of Indian restaurants but overall it is a crappy town for Indian food. Compared to Singapore, so is Bangkok.

Or Penang if you're doing a visa run there.

KL too.

Penang had the best Indian I've had outside India.

Singapore, not even close.

I don't know why people are bitching about prices. I don't know what you pay in the UK, but even the expensive places here are half what you pay in AUST.

So, where can we get really good Indian food at a decent price?

Singapore.

Pattaya does have lots of Indian restaurants but overall it is a crappy town for Indian food. Compared to Singapore, so is Bangkok.

Or Penang if you're doing a visa run there.

KL too.

Penang had the best Indian I've had outside India.

Singapore, not even close.

I don't know why people are bitching about prices. I don't know what you pay in the UK, but even the expensive places here are half what you pay in AUST.

I believe you but we must have gone to different places. I had much better Indian food in Singapore than Penang.

Ali Baba does not have the best Indian food. It relys on its advertising and worn out decorative interior (including soiled, faded table cloths) to make an impression as if its food is the best. The latest good Indian restaurant is Spices...next to Royal Garden and one on soi 3. Not cheap.

What drive me crazy is why the Indian restaurants have to follow the same lay-out of dark wooden chairs and tables, with table cloths-- no creative interior design.

Ali Baba does not have the best Indian food. It relys on its advertising and worn out decorative interior (including soiled, faded table cloths) to make an impression as if its food is the best. The latest good Indian restaurant is Spices...next to Royal Garden and one on soi 3. Not cheap.

What drive me crazy is why the Indian restaurants have to follow the same lay-out of dark wooden chairs and tables, with table cloths-- no creative interior design.

I agree about Ali Baba. I tried it once. (Was enough.)

Spices? I call it Prices.

News Flash!

Back in the Indian food Ghetto of South Pattaya there is yet another new and promising restaurant!

It specializes in South Indian food, dosas, idlis, etc. Yeah!

Anyway, I don't recall the name or precise location yet or even if it is yet open for business, but I saw the sign riding an infamous baht bus. Same road as Punjabi Tadka which I will try again.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, now, the name of this very new SOUTH Indian restaurant is

INDIAN TOUCH 1 (or 2), I forget the number

Not sure what the number in the name is all about.

It is directly across the street from the Nova Platinum Hotel.

There appeared to be a lot of activity of setting up the place so I think it will be a bit of time before they are operational.

http://www.oamhotels.com/novaplatinum/

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 months later...

Update on the wonderful and charming INDIAN TOUCH 1 restaurant: they now sport a picture menu. Prices still the same (low) and the food still great. In addition to south Indian specialties, more general curries, etc. they also offer some Indian-Chinese fusion dishes.

After many recomendations tried the one at Soi 5 Pratumnak....nan was great but curry...nah forget it!!! Curry Hut Jomtien is the best in Thailand

I did try the Hut one time and let's say it wasn't to my taste. The curry was acceptable but the nan bread was not authentic tasting in my opinion. More like a stale crispy cracker thin Italian type pizza crust than a tandoori nan bread.

Another Indian dish that is not Indian is Balti smile.gif

That would maybe be becuase it's a Pakistani dish.

Just drove from Jomtien to Pattaya (near VC hotel) and saw several Indian restaurants: Apna Indian, Haveli Indian, Kohinoor, Punjabi Tadka, Royal Indian Hut (farther down), Madras Darbar (across from Central Festival Mall). Are any of these really good?

Madras Darbar is very good IMHO. I have eaten at many indian restaurants here in Pattaya and this one is now the only one I return to. I have a good rapport with the Owner who always recommends dishes to me and makes me new stuff not on the menu. He introduces me to new stuff all the time that I would not normally order. He always tells me "this is your kitchen" as his way of saying we'll make whatever you want the way you want it. Now he's not always here as he spends part of the year in India but I always have a very good meal there and if I have any issues I bring it up to them and it gets corrected. I have friends that live in NYC that dream of coming back to Pattaya to eat the food at Madras Darbar. Take that how you want but no one I have ever taken there has been disappointed. Also I can tell you that the place is normally packed full of natives of the foods region which is usually a good sign that what they are making is considered authentic by those in the know. I also know that they get the catering contracts for many of the bollywood film crews that come to pattaya as the film crews love the food there.

I guess I'll have to retry Madras Darbar. I have had a few excellent meals there with definitely authentic and interesting food, but the last time I ordered the dosa and it was greaseball city ... not good. Of course even great restaurants have off days or dishes not to order there.

Edited by Jingthing

After many recomendations tried the one at Soi 5 Pratumnak....nan was great but curry...nah forget it!!! Curry Hut Jomtien is the best in Thailand

I did try the Hut one time and let's say it wasn't to my taste. The curry was acceptable but the nan bread was not authentic tasting in my opinion. More like a stale crispy cracker thin Italian type pizza crust than a tandoori nan bread.

That would be chapati then! licklips.gif

That would be chapati then! licklips.gif

No, it was their attempt at nan. I know what chapati is and that wasn't chapati (but it wasn't nan either).