Us Visa Rejected

This is the second time my Thai girlfriend was rejected for a US tourist visa. I am hopeful that someone on this forum could give me some suggestions on how to solve this problem.

Background:

She has been my girlfriend for 6 years.

We travel extensively all over the world. Her passport is filled with stamps from many countries and she always returns within the terms of her visa.

She was granted a schengen visa 3 times and traveled throughout Europe.

I am her sole means of support

She owns a home in her name valued at 2 Million Baht and a car in Thailand without any debt.

She has a son that lives with her and attends a local private school.

She has bank records showing regular deposits into her account of about 40K baht per month.

She has an account balance of about 100K baht.

She brought documents showing all of the above to the interview. I also gave her a cover letter describing what documents she had in her possesion. Also I supplied a letter of invitation from me, a completed I-130 form from me and my bank records showing substantial financial assets.

The bottom line is that the visa officer at the US embassy in Bangkok did not even care to look at the documents. I was not there but she describes the interview as lasting a couple minutes. The officer read my letter and asker her if I paid for everything. He then rejected her. He did not care to look at any of the documents. When she pushed him to look at the documents the response was that it did not matter.

This was the second time she applied. The first time he did not even look at any documents and just rejected her.

So now I am confused about what to do next:

1. Should I resubmit and go with her to the next interview. I could certainly agrue with the visa officer much better than her. Can I make a difference.

2. I am wondering if this is just a dead end. Does the facts that I support her and that the house and car in her name just not sufficient to be granted a visa.

3. Would I be better off applying for K-1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly sorry to hear about the refusal, its frustrating I know, my G/f was recently refused a visit visa for the UK.

The fact that your girlfriend has traveled extensively and not overstayed on any occassion would seem to be good grounds as to grant the visa, or so you would think :o

Hopefully someone on here will be able to give you some good advise. I hope you are successful next time.

Best of luck

Rj

...She brought documents  showing all of the above to the interview.  I also gave her a cover letter describing what documents she had in her possesion.  Also I supplied a letter of invitation from me, a completed  I-130 form from me and my bank records showing substantial financial assets. 

Why in the world would you submit an I-130 form for a tourist visa? Do you know what an I-130 form is?

From the UCSI web site:

A citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States may file this form to establish the relationship to certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States. A separate form must be filed for each eligible relative.

No wonder the visa refused, you were all but telling the officer you intended to circumvent the process and when she got into the US marry her and apply for AOS.

Also, whey did you not have her give all the documentation with the visa application, like the checklist says?

Look at it from the officer’s point of view. He has an application in front of him, no supporting documents have been previously supplied (as required), the applicant, a young Thai woman , then hands him a bunch of stuff, including an application for an immigrant visa.

What would you do?

Don't mean to sound harsh, but you have no one to blame but yourself for the refusal. You did not do your homework and take the time to understand the process.

TH

...She brought documents  showing all of the above to the interview.  I also gave her a cover letter describing what documents she had in her possesion.  Also I supplied a letter of invitation from me, a completed  I-130 form from me and my bank records showing substantial financial assets. 

Don't mean to sound harsh, but you have no one to blame but yourself for the refusal. You did not do your homework and take the time to understand the process.

TH

What your saying maybe so, but, your right you do sound harsh. KDS11 has come on here asking for advise, not a telling off.

Why in the world would you submit an I-130 form for a tourist visa? Do you know what an I-130 form is?

From the UCSI web site:

A citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States may file this form to establish the relationship to certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States. A separate form must be filed for each eligible relative.

No wonder the visa refused, you were all but telling the officer you intended to circumvent the process and when she got into the US marry her and apply for AOS.

Also, whey did you not have her give all the documentation with the visa application, like the checklist says?

Look at it from the officer’s point of view. He has an application in front of him, no supporting documents have been previously supplied (as required), the applicant, a young Thai woman , then hands him a bunch of stuff, including an application for an immigrant visa.

What would you do?

TH

Let me clarify. I mis-spoke above. I submitted an I-134 form, Affidavit of support which I believe is to be used as evidence of temporary support. A visa processing agency suggested I use this form.

As for the documents, each time we submitted the visa application she brought the documents along and the person taking the application said that they would not take them now and that they should be brought to the interview. We were also advised by one of the visa processing companies near the embassy that you bring the documents to the interview and that they do not accept them at the submittal phase. Maybe this is the problem. Can some one else clarify if they can submitt documents up front as opposed to during the interview.

I also believe that somewhere in the Embassy FAQ they state to bring the documents to the interview and recommended a cover letter stating what documents are being supplied.

I did read every line on the embassy website and felt that I did do my homework.

Feel free to add more harsh critism, but it sure seem liked I was following the procedure.

1.  Should I resubmit and go with her to the next interview.  I could certainly agrue with the visa officer much better than her.  Can I make a difference.

2.  I am wondering if this is just a dead end.  Does the  facts that I support her and that the house and car in her name just not sufficient to be granted a visa.

3.  Would I be better off applying for K-1. 

I think that you being her sole support is a problem if you're not living in Thailand. If you live in the US she has less reason to come back if her source of income is not in Thailand

Definitely you should be there for the interview.

Don't submit incorrect forms. Affidavits of support have nothing to do with a tourist visa. She is supposed to qualify on her own.

After the last comment I'd say you should still bring your financial info as they are a bunch of hypocrites also.

a fiancee or marriage visa would be a lot more work but have a much higher chance of approval if you plan on getting married anyway.

I am not sure about you but she would have a lot more chance of obtaining a visa if you did that. :o

The whole idea of a tourist visa is that she will return to Thailand at the end of a visit. Your relationship casts serious doubts on that. For a trip to Paris or other place it may be helpful; but not to your home country when the burden of proof is to show strong reason to return home.

I got rejected my tourist visa to the US on the grounds of "insufficient funds for a holiday."

I'm still wondering why since...

a.) Not to sound snobbish or anything, but I speak perfect English or near perfect English - WITH an American accent.

b.) I had a letter from my employer (an international school) stating my vacation leave and when I was expected back as well as showing my monthly salary and all

c.) My bank statement and my parents' bank statement

d.) An invitation letter from an American friend and some evidence of his business

e.) and my old passport showing evidence that I'd visited the States before, albeit about 20 years ago.

I was so sure I would get it. And then the interview guy tells me I don't have enough money. So I kindly put forward that my parents would be giving me extra funding (pocket money) should I need more in SF, while the American friend would provide accommodation and help shall I ever need it. He then gives me a look and just tells me that I'm old enough to support myself. :o Umm, ok, yeah.

Ironically, I've recently been granted tourist visas to both the UK and Ireland, visiting my boyfriend of 13 months, without much hassle at all.

So what IS the criteria for getting a tourist visa to the US? :D

I got rejected my tourist visa to the US on the grounds of "insufficient funds for a holiday."

I'm still wondering why since...

a.) Not to sound snobbish or anything, but I speak perfect English or near perfect English - WITH an American accent.

b.) I had a letter from my employer (an international school) stating my vacation leave and when I was expected back as well as showing my monthly salary and all

c.) My bank statement and my parents' bank statement

d.) An invitation letter from an American friend and some evidence of his business

e.) and my old passport showing evidence that I'd visited the States before, albeit about 20 years ago.

I was so sure I would get it. And then the interview guy tells me I don't have enough money. So I kindly put forward that my parents would be giving me extra funding (pocket money) should I need more in SF, while the American friend would provide accommodation and help shall I ever need it. He then gives me a look and just tells me that I'm old enough to support myself. :o Umm, ok, yeah.

Ironically, I've recently been granted tourist visas to both the UK and Ireland, visiting my boyfriend of 13 months, without much hassle at all.

So what IS the criteria for getting a tourist visa to the US? :D

Believe it is the same as most other countries - that you will leave at the end of your visit. Item (d) above probably did not help your case and may have been the reason for "the look". It is very much a process for qualification "on your own" for a tourist visa. The fact that so many that have gone before may have forgotten to return probably makes it harder than should be.

1.  Should I resubmit and go with her to the next interview.  I could certainly agrue with the visa officer much better than her.  Can I make a difference.

2.  I am wondering if this is just a dead end.  Does the  facts that I support her and that the house and car in her name just not sufficient to be granted a visa.

I think that you being her sole support is a problem if you're not living in Thailand. If you live in the US she has less reason to come back if her source of income is not in Thailand

Don't submit incorrect forms. Affidavits of support have nothing to do with a tourist visa. She is supposed to qualify on her own.

After the last comment I'd say you should still bring your financial info as they are a bunch of hypocrites also.

a fiancee or marriage visa would be a lot more work but have a much higher chance of approval if you plan on getting married anyway.

So can some one answer the earlier questions about whether or not the documents showing ties to thailand should be submitted at the application stage or at the interview.

Also I was under the impression that I really could not speak on her behalf during the interview and that she had to do this on her own. Will I be given the opportunity to state my case for her.

How old is your gf? Did she has a job? Dont just believe what the agent said those ppl just wanted your money only . I applied student visa 3 times and fight with those officer at us embassy(for the right) finally I got 5 years student visa. If you're very serious with your gf Why dont you apply Fiancee visa for her?

You also can make a second request letter and go try again with your gf, US embassy is the POS one, they just wanted you to provides all the right documents and show them all at the 1st place.

Good Luck!

Edited by international healthcare

So can some one answer the earlier questions about whether or not the documents showing ties to thailand should be submitted at the application stage or at the interview.

Also I was under the impression that I really could not speak on her behalf during the interview and that she had to do this on her own. Will I be given the opportunity to state my case for her.

All documents should be submitted at the application. No you would not be able to observe or speak unless the officer found some reason for you to do so. If you feel you have a case to state it should be as part of the application packet.

Forget the Tourist visa.....almost impossible for a Thai lady to be granted....Go for a K-1 Visa.....Or marry your girlfriend in Thailand and apply for an immigrant visa....will take a h... of a time, but should be 99% chance for her to get approved!

All documents should be submitted at the application. No you would not be able to observe or speak unless the officer found some reason for you to do so. If you feel you have a case to state it should be as part of the application packet.

So if all documents are required at the application , why does the embassy staff keep giving her back the docs and takes only the application and the passport.

Believe it is the same as most other countries - that you will leave at the end of your visit.  Item (d) above probably did not help your case and may have been the reason for "the look".  It is very much a process for qualification "on your own" for a tourist visa.  The fact that so many that have gone before may have forgotten to return probably makes it harder than should be.

Yeah, looking in retrospect, it probably sounded like I was lying and the American friend was actually my boyfriend or whatever - should've showed that officer a photo of him in his full-blown royal flamboyancy :o

Anyway, back to KDS11's problem -

I heard that any financial committments (e.g. mortgage, bank loans, credit card debts, etc.) can be used as evidence for return. She can get her bank to issue her a letter stating the financial committment.

Believe it is the same as most other countries - that you will leave at the end of your visit.  Item (d) above probably did not help your case and may have been the reason for "the look".  It is very much a process for qualification "on your own" for a tourist visa.  The fact that so many that have gone before may have forgotten to return probably makes it harder than should be.

Yeah, looking in retrospect, it probably sounded like I was lying and the American friend was actually my boyfriend or whatever - should've showed that officer a photo of him in his full-blown royal flamboyancy :o

Anyway, back to KDS11's problem -

I heard that any financial committments (e.g. mortgage, bank loans, credit card debts, etc.) can be used as evidence for return. She can get her bank to issue her a letter stating the financial committment.

It would seem to me that owning a house without a debt is more reason to come back then owning a house with a debt. But who knows how these Visa officers think.

It would seem to me that owning a house without a debt is more reason to come back then owning a house with a debt.  But who knows how these Visa officers think.

Well, I think owning a house with debt gives you more reason to return. I mean, the officers probably think that you wouldn't want to have trouble over the mortgage/payments with your bank or something... I don't know. All I know it sucks being a Thai woman when it comes to travelling abroad. :o

So if all documents are required at the application , why does the embassy staff keep giving her back the docs and takes only the application and the passport.

Highly suggest you read US Embassy web site non immigrant visa information

Lopburi, thank you for your comments. I have read the site but what I just can t understand is why the embassy staff would not take the documents. I guess it is possible that the GF screwed up and did not understand something.

Highly suggest you read US Embassy web site non immigrant visa information

Lopburi, thank you for your comments. I have read the site but what I just can t understand is why the embassy staff would not take the documents. I guess it is possible that the GF screwed up and did not understand something.

They just want to see the documents - you don't want to leave you bank passbook or home ownership papers with an Embassy waiting for an interview some time down the road.

"the GF screwed up" of your above post I believe says it all. GF do not normally have an easy time obtaining a tourist visa to the US when the BF lives in the US.

Edited by lopburi3

My opinion on submitting docs:

Make two sets with one submitted with visa app and one to hand carry to interview by applicant. The applicant set should have the originals of the copies submitted with app. Even if they pull stuff out when you hand in the application you'll have it at the interview anyway.

Make a nice organized book out of everything. i.e.

Section One - Travel experience together

then have one page for each trip with ticket stub, photo together, his & hers visa stamps etc.

Section two - Assets

Chanote for house

car registration and insurance

copies of bankbook

You get the idea. Make it as organized and easy to look through as possible. You can't have too much. They may ignore most of it, but someting you think is trivial may look good to them.

Something like health insurance. My girlfriend just paid an annual permium for her health insurance. Someone not intending to come back wouldn't have wasted the money to do that.

Don't you get it? They're busy! How many people were applying for visas on the day you went? 200? 300? At US$100 each that's 800K to 1.2M baht per day. They just don't have time to look at your documents. Still, they'd be more than happy to have you keep coming back -- as long as you keep paying and don't cause any trouble. Don't forget: the vast majority of all Thais applying for visas, regardless of the purpose of the visit, get them.

Let me clarify.  I mis-spoke above.  I submitted an I-134 form, Affidavit of support which I believe is to be used as evidence of temporary support. A visa processing agency suggested I use this form.

As for the documents, each time we submitted the visa application she brought the documents along and the person taking the application said that they would not take them now and that they should be brought to the interview.  We were also advised by one of the visa processing companies near the embassy that you bring the documents to the interview and that they do not accept them at the submittal phase.  Maybe this is the problem.  Can some one else clarify if they can submitt documents up front as opposed to during the interview.

I also believe that somewhere in the Embassy FAQ they state to bring the documents to the interview and recommended a cover letter stating what documents are being supplied.   

I did read every line on the embassy website and felt that I did do my homework.

Feel free to add more harsh critism, but it sure seem liked I was following the procedure.

Again, I did not mean to sound harsh, but there are a lot of people that have had visa refused and blame the consular staff for it, but when you get the details, there always seems to be, from consular staff point of view, a good reason to refuse. I think other posters have given good advice, but it is difficult for a gf to get a visa when the bf is living in the US. Even if travel to another country has been done before. In fact, most of the successful visas I have heard about, no mention is made of the bf.

To the really bitter poster, I'm really sorry you have been unable to get a visa for your gf, but the facts remain most Thais that apply for tourist visas do indeed get them. That is because, most Thais that apply for tourist visas are working middle class that are going either on business or have saved for some time and are going on vacation. Proving they are coming back is easy for them. I know 10 Thais (from client and our office) this year that have got visas and made trips to the US

TH

Let me clarify.  I mis-spoke above.  I submitted an I-134 form, Affidavit of support which I believe is to be used as evidence of temporary support. A visa processing agency suggested I use this form.

As for the documents, each time we submitted the visa application she brought the documents along and the person taking the application said that they would not take them now and that they should be brought to the interview.  We were also advised by one of the visa processing companies near the embassy that you bring the documents to the interview and that they do not accept them at the submittal phase.  Maybe this is the problem.  Can some one else clarify if they can submitt documents up front as opposed to during the interview.

Again, I did not mean to sound harsh, but there are a lot of people that have had visa refused and blame the consular staff for it, but when you get the details, there always seems to be, from consular staff point of view, a good reason to refuse. I think other posters have given good advice, but it is difficult for a gf to get a visa when the bf is living in the US. Even if travel to another country has been done before. In fact, most of the successful visas I have heard about, no mention is made of the bf.

To the really bitter poster, I'm really sorry you have been unable to get a visa for your gf, but the facts remain most Thais that apply for tourist visas do indeed get them. That is because, most Thais that apply for tourist visas are working middle class that are going either on business or have saved for some time and are going on vacation. Proving they are coming back is easy for them. I know 10 Thais (from client and our office) this year that have got visas and made trips to the US

TH

So now the question is it worth reapllying for a tourist visa. Since she had been rejected two times are the odds now stacked against her. Would I be better off with a K-1.

Am I have been getting conflicting input on whether or not I can accompany her on the interview. Can anyone else confirm if they were able to attend an interview and if so, did it help.

You have not provided any reason that your presence would help so unless you have really convincing evidence that you are leaving the US in 3 months and don't intend to return do not believe you can help. You would not be allowed to speak unless they asked you to do so and if you approached the window you would most likely be requested to take a seat in the general area (unless things have changed in the last few years). I would not ask for another tourist visa.

So now the question is it worth reapllying for a tourist visa.  Since she had been rejected two times are the odds now stacked against her.  Would I be better off with a K-1. 

Am I have been getting conflicting input on whether or not I can accompany her on the interview.  Can anyone else confirm if they were able to attend an interview and if so, did it help.

I like your spirit, kid. Sure it's worth re-applying: It's worth US$100 to the embassy. You can go, but you should not expect to be able to argue her case any better than she did. Whether the officer will listen to anything you say is at the officer's discretion. My advice: pay someone the US$100 to kick you in the head -- you'll enjoy the experience more.

And to anyone claiming most Thais get their visas: I invite you stand outside the US Embassy (but don't loiter or the soldiers might shoot you) and see the expressions on the faces of the people coming out.

My TGF of 4 years was also refused a Tourist Visa at the US Embassy. My situation is much like the original poster's. And to add injury to insult, her Dad is employed by the government, and even is a registered TRT party member. There was simply no reason to refuse it other than bias. And that's a violation of American law, as well as the field handbook passed out to idiots like the one behind the window who blew her off without any pretense. There is a class of people here who are being discriminated against by this embassy -- in U.S. law, that creates the grounds for a class action lawsuit against this embassy. I'm beginning to think it's time to attack the problem from that POV.

- FR

Edited by FlightRisk

My TGF of 4 years was also refused a Tourist Visa at the US Embassy. My situation is much like the original poster's.  And to add injury to insult, her Dad is employed by the government, and even is a registered TRT party member. There was simply no reason to refuse it other than bias. And that's a violation of American law, as well as the field handbook passed out to idiots like the one behind the window who blew her off without any pretense. There is a class of people here who are being discriminated against by this embassy -- in U.S. law, that creates the grounds for a class action lawsuit against this embassy. I'm beginning to think it's time to attack the problem from that POV.

- FR

Could you clarify the "class of people" you think are discriminated against? TRT party members? Or those considered likely to overstay or appear to be applying to shortcut the normal marriage process? If you are in a similar situation as OP I believe the same reason might apply - not being able to convince Consular Officer of intent to return. And that is a very strong reason to refuse it.

My TGF of 4 years was also refused a Tourist Visa at the US Embassy. My situation is much like the original poster's.  And to add injury to insult, her Dad is employed by the government, and even is a registered TRT party member. There was simply no reason to refuse it other than bias. And that's a violation of American law, as well as the field handbook passed out to idiots like the one behind the window who blew her off without any pretense. There is a class of people here who are being discriminated against by this embassy -- in U.S. law, that creates the grounds for a class action lawsuit against this embassy. I'm beginning to think it's time to attack the problem from that POV.

- FR

Yanks always love to sue when they don't get their way! :o