Thai Air Or Jet Airlines

Clive

Hello I will be holidaying to Thailand in a few months time but will have mt infant children with me.

It would help keep them occupied if they can watch a cartoon or something and was wondering which airlines have the monitor on the back of the seats.

I flew with Thai air some years ago and they only had 1 tv for everyone to watch but it was years ago, as for jet air I have not flown with them before but they come recommended.

If you could pls advise as I will be purchasing the tickets soon......thanks

The food is better on Thai Airways and, if you're coming from Europe, it will be a direct-flight, but their elderly B747-400s still don't have seat-back IFE, so check what aircraft they're using on your planned flight.

I recently flew Jet Airways to/from Europe and, while the food was unimpressive and the airport in Mumbai/Bombay very tatty, the cabin-crew were quite helpful and both the (narrow-body 3+3) B737-800 from BKK-BOM as well as the B777-300ER (3+3+3 seating) from BOM-LHR had good seat-back IFE, with a kids-section & games.

They also give a better hold-luggage allowance (32 kgs for tickets from UK & 28 kgs if you start your journey in Thailand) than Thai Airways.

You pays your money (Thai are very expensive if you live in Thailand !) and you take your choice.

Happy Travels ! :)

Edited by Ricardo

Jet fleet is pretty new, they are Indian so if you like Indian food ok. Thai food is much better but planes are older. How long you have to be hanging around at Mumbai might be an issue and security there is a bit traumatic.

As mentioned Eva is a good option and tick more boxes for you.

I came out with Emirates the last time, change over in Dubai and (32g allowance) was a good experience, A380 LHR - Dubai- Boeing 777 to BKK 2 hours in Dubai.

The Indian airlines would be my last choice because of the traumas of Indian airports.

Thai will have the seatback TVs in economy on London-Bangkok flights from mid-December. They also have relatively generous legroom in economy. EVA are ok, but I think less roomy.

Its not only which airline has seat back IFE but what is on them that counts. Flown Emirates, Qatar etc and the selection is pretty good across the board including kids stuff. Flew Kingfisher and the selection was dire.

Really comes down to whether your flying direct or not as direct flights are much more limited. I do know I wouldn't book a flight on Thai on the strength of the seatback entertainment being available by Dec. :whistling:

Eva got a big thumbs-up from my daughter when she brought my two young grand-daughters over a couple of years back. Last year they came Air India via Mumbai (cheap), they do not wish to repeat the experience.

The Indian airlines would be my last choice because of the traumas of Indian airports.

Thai will have the seatback TVs in economy on London-Bangkok flights from mid-December. They also have relatively generous legroom in economy. EVA are ok, but I think less roomy.

Are you sure about the IFE for Thai Airways? Am not so sure myself, but if so then it is an option for travel back to the UK in April for me.

Are you sure about the IFE for Thai Airways? Am not so sure myself, but if so then it is an option for travel back to the UK in April for me.

From their website:

Furthermore, the passenger cabin as well as inflight entertainment system products and services on THAI’s Boeing 747-400 aircraft have been retrofitted, complete with personal video screens and inflight phones in Economy Class on the following routes:

- TG920/921 and TG922/923 between Bangkok and Frankfurt .

- TG910/911 between Bangkok and London , effective 1 December 2011.

- TG916/917 between Bangkok and London , effective 15 December 2011.

If your're going to fly with Jet Airways then I would advise a change in Delhi as opposed to Mumbai.

Delhi transfer was smooth with no hassle, Mumbai is a pain in the arse.

IFE is good and I liked the food.

Haven't flown with Thai for more than two years, didn't enjoy the experience when I did and my wallet was considerably lighter too!

With kids - pay the money and fly direct with whichever of Thai, EVA or BA/Quantas is the cheapest you can find. Thai now ok with revised IFE from London coming soon.

If you want cheap Qatar is the best indirect airline but its layover in Doha sucks (bus journeys 'round and round the airport like a teddy bear, one step, two steps, hell we're still not there!) so Emirates is preferable but often a bit pricier than Qatar. If you are on a tight budget take Kingfisher or Jet, save money and prepare for the horror stories some have about Mumbai/Delhi (which in truth are probably survivable!).

Edit: I'm assuming you are coming from/going to the UK though I have no right to do so (in the absence of the clarification you have been asked for more than once :rolleyes:)

Edit 2: if kids less than 2 yrs old go with an airline that will give you the seats with a guaranteed cot(s). They sell out quickly so it may restrict your choice of airline but go with that criteria anyway

Edited by SantiSuk

With kids - pay the money and fly direct with whichever of Thai, EVA or BA/Quantas is the cheapest you can find. Thai now ok with revised IFE from London coming soon.

If you want cheap Qatar is the best indirect airline but its layover in Doha sucks (bus journeys 'round and round the

How come you can spell Qatar but not Qantas? Sorry, but Quantas makes my Australian nerves jangle..

I always went Thai when I could afford business class but generally fly EVA now, business out, 'Elite' back.

The country is called Katargh, not Kwatargh which is why I write Qatar. I thought the airline was called Kwohntuss not Kohntuss, which is why I write Quantas.

I should know better than to expect logic in my mother tongue :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pointer - will not forget!

Edited by SantiSuk

I would stay away from all things Indian.

Earlier this year I returned to the UK on Kingfisher from BKK-BOM-LHR, on both legs no IFE and this is a 5 Star airline?

Not the biggest Kingfisher fan but I had IFE on same route and I have never seen this mentioned before. Anyone else ?

The country is called Katargh, not Kwatargh which is why I write Qatar. I thought the airline was called Kwohntuss not Kohntuss, which is why I write Quantas.

I should know better than to expect logic in my mother tongue :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pointer - will not forget!

Sorry if I sounded stroppier than intended...

If Thai are offering the entertainment ,I would go Thai.

Direct flight are better for the children & hence for your relaxation

Theoretically,Indian airlines are also very good,but when things go wrong ,you don't want to know,whereas Thai make the effort to sort things out.

They are also good with children & try to make the long flight as bearable as possible for younger passengers