How To Renew Retirement Visa

Hi Everyone I could usesome advice. I need to renew my retirement visa in the next few days inPattaya. Last year I got my Lawyer to do it for me as they were offering theservice which was fine, no hassle and I got the visa OK but with their fees itcost 15,000 Baht, so this year I am thinking just how easy is it for me to justdo it myself.

Can anyone tell me the exact documents I need to take with me andhow easy it is to do it yourself. Also do you have to have at least 30 days onyour old visa or can you renew it up to a week before the old one runs out? I can get bank letter showing 800,000 baht in the Thai bank account for over 3 months so that bits fine

Many thanks

I'll start this.

Technically, you aren't "renewing" your retirement visa.

You are applying for an annual extension based on retirement.

At the Jomtien office, my latest info is that extension applications are welcome as early as TWO months before expiration of your current extension to stay. Typically,people apply about one month out, which is advisable as this gives you time to fix any problems that might come up. However, if you like to live dangerously, you can even apply the very last day of your current permission to stay.

For the bank part of it, here is my advice.

The money must be over 800K for TWO months for the FIRST extension done in Thailand, and THREE months only for all subsequent ones.

You need to go to your bank home branch and ask for an immigration letter which typically costs 200 baht. Right before doing that, I would make a withdrawal of any amount and update your passbook. The bank letter should be done so that it is still fresh when you show up at immigration. The same day or the previous day is advisable. The balance in the passbook (you provide copies to immigration) and the bank immigration letter must match exactly.

I'll let others detail the exact copies, form, and photos you need for the whole process. Is it hard? I don't think so. I can't imagine paying 15K baht for help in such a basic case as yours of someone who has got the money in the bank!

Edited by Jingthing

I'll start this.

At the Jomtien office, my latest info is that extension applications are welcome as early as TWO months before expiration of your current extension to stay. Typically,people apply about one month out, which is advisable as this gives you time to fix any problems that might come up. However, if you like to live dangerously, you can even apply the very last day of your current permission to stay.

The money must be over 800K for TWO months for the FIRST extension done in Thailand, and THREE months only for all subsequent ones.

You need to go to your bank home branch and ask for an immigration letter which typically costs 200 baht. Right before doing that, I would make a withdrawal of any amount and update your passbook. The bank letter should be done so that it is still fresh when you show up at immigration. The same day or the previous day is advisable. The balance in the passbook (you provide copies to immigration) and the bank immigration letter must match exactly.

I'll let others detail the exact copies, form, and photos you need for the whole process. Is it hard? I don't think so.

Thanks for that start although i think its the other way round 2 months the first time and 3 months everytime after that. I have the bank part sorted thats not a problem its a full list of documents and how easy it is i need to know, but many thanks for your advice, really usefull.

I'll start this.

I'll let others detail the exact copies, form, and photos you need for the whole process. Is it hard? I don't think so.

Thanks for that start although i think its the other way round 2 months the first time and 3 months everytime after that. I have the bank part sorted thats not a problem its a full list of documents and how easy it is i need to know, but many thanks for your advice, really usefull.

Check the text. That's what I said. 2 months the first time. 3 months after. There is an editing error with the word only, but the info is there. Anyway, you're OK with the seasoning.

I should also note that recently I encountered a new wrinkle at Jomtien.

They wanted TWO originally filled out versions of the application form. (Bizarre.)

They also want two photos, previously it was one photo.

They also wanted two copies of the passport ID page, previously it was one.

For all other required copies (other passport pages, bank book), it was still one copy.

Edited by Jingthing

I just extended mine in Nakhon Sawan on the 25th. All that I needed was the TM7 form with picture (taken within last 6 months) attached, signed copies of every page of my passport including both sides of the departure card, An Income Affidavit from my Embassy issued within the last month showing that my income was more than 65000 baht per month in lieu of the bank statement and passbook copies and ,of course, 1900 baht. In the past, at other immigration offices, they gave some of the copied pages of the passport back, but I always copy them all so I don't have to run around trying to find a copy machine close to the immigration office. Sounds like its "party time now that you have saved 13100 baht. Good luck and hope that the immigration officer is in a good mood when you go in.

I'll start this.

You don't need to copy ALL the pages of your passport!

What you need --

Bank immigration letter

ONE copy Bank passbook, Id page plus activity going back some months, be sure to show the money import event if they happened in the last year, the full year back not usually needed depending on your import activity

ID page (at Jomtien, TWO copies)

Below, one copy

Last border entry stamp page

Original visa page

Current extension to stay item page

Airport card

Photos, 2 now needed at Jomtien

Application form, 2 original ones, NOT a copy of the original (yes, bizarre)

This info about the bizarre need for two original application forms is my current understanding as it happened to me. It may have changed. Ask when you enter the office.

Edited by Jingthing

What you need --

Bank immigration letter

ONE copy Bank passbook, Id page plus activity going back some months, be sure to show the money import event if they happened in the last year, the full year back not usually needed depending on your import activity

Below, one copy

Original visa page

Airport card

This info about the bizarre need for two original application forms is my current understanding as it happened to me. It may have changed. Ask when you enter the office.

Jingthing Your a star thank you so much for your help its very much appreciated

You are most welcome. Also, don't worry, if there is any copy missing, they will just ask for it to complete the application. Sometimes they will even make it themselves (don't expect that though). An easy way to fill in the application form is to use the SAMPLE forms they display at the entry desks. Obviously you fill in your own info, but if there is any confusion about what info they are looking for, the samples can help a lot.

Edited by Jingthing

It just depends on the office. When Korat moved to Chok Chai the receptionist told me that I needed 2 of everything including two original TM 7 forms. They had just moved there and there were no services nearby so I drove to Korat, got two copies of everything including new pictures because I had only taken one with me. When I went back the receptionist reviewed everything and handed me over to an immigration officer. She looked at the submittal and handed one complete package back to me along with the passport pages that she decided were not required. When I told her that the receptionist told me that I needed two copies of everything she said"she's new and she doesn't know what she is doing". So now I make two copies of everthing![ I just did me on the 25th in Nakhon Sawan and I only needed one picture and one TM 7 form, but I needed copies of all the passport pages including both sides of the departure card.quote name=Jingthing' timestamp='1319956145' post='4807868]

What you need --

Bank immigration letter

Below, one copy

Original visa page

Airport card

Due to renew my retirement extension in Jomtein. Have got my letter from Brit Consulate stating that my pensions cover the required amount of money for the extension.

Know that I no longer need a letter from the bank about the amount in my account, but do I still have give photo copies of the last 3 months transactions from my passbook

Edited by melsnet

Due to renew my retirement extension in Jomtein. Have got my letter from Brit Consulate stating that my pensions cover the required amount of money for the extension.

Know that I no longer need a letter from the bank about the amount in my account, but do I still have give photo copies of the last 3 months transactions from my passbook

Good question. I'm not sure but if I were you I would bring a copy of your bank ID page and back some months just in case.

When I apply for a retirement extension I simply visit the copy shop adjacent to the Immigrations office (there is one in Jomtien) and tell the person by the copy machine "Retirement extension," and they copy the necessary, and only the necessary, pages from my passport and bank book.

• 7 years later...

I'm very glad to have hit upon this topic.  I'll be doing the annual extension at Korat Immigration office.  There was a mention of the info above being Jomtien specific to some extent.  It would be a huge help if someone here who's done it at Korat could specify that it's good for there too.

Many thanks

On 11/2/2011 at 8:15 PM, wpcoe said:

When I apply for a retirement extension I simply visit the copy shop adjacent to the Immigrations office (there is one in Jomtien) and tell the person by the copy machine "Retirement extension," and they copy the necessary, and only the necessary, pages from my passport and bank book.

That is the best way to go. Just say "Retirement Visa", like everyone else does ,  if you say "annual renewal based upon retirement" they will probably not know what you mean.