What'S "Error -5000" When Updating?

khonlanna

Hi, there. I've been trying to update my ios4 on my iPhone4 to ios5 for almost 2 weeks but no success. Everytime I try, a warning pops up saying, "Error -5000. Everything on your phone will be lost if you continue." So I give up. I have a back-up on my PC, but I don't really want to go through long tiring recovery. Besides, some things won't be copied on to my PC as a backup.

Does anyone know what to do? Thanks in advance.

You can look at Apple support: http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&product=&q=iPhone%20backup%20error%205000&src=support_site.kbase.search.searchresults

I don't have an iPhone, but when I installed iOS5 on my iPod Touch and my iPad I didn't get an error message, but it does wipe everything off your device and then reinstalls it after the OS update. It takes a while.

I dont know if they have fake ipads like they do iPhones [my friend wound up with two fakes at the apple store, central, pattaya - seems one of the employees was doing his own business without mentioning it to anyone] but thats what it sounds like

He got really strange messages [battery overheating, battery over heating flashing on phone] before it conked out and died totally. Both died after 9 months

Edited by Lost in LOS

I finally succeeded in updating after I deleted one memo-taking application called inote. It seems the application is not supported by ios5 because I don't find it on itune store anymore. It had stopped synchronizing a few months before so it took me five hours to move all the data in my inote onto another application.

However, a friend mine told me he could update with this inote still installed on his device, all the data on his inote was wiped off after updating though. :blink:

Edited by khonlanna

I finally succeeded in updating after I deleted one memo-taking application called inote. It seems the application is not supported by ios5 because I don't find it on itune store anymore. It had stopped synchronizing a few months before so it took me five hours to move all the data in my inote onto another application.

However, a friend mine told me he could update with this inote still installed on his device, all the data on his inote was wiped off after updating though. :blink:

Glad to hear you got it to work. Sounds like a great app, not. Just wondering, do you check for app updates regularly? There have been a lot lately and a lot just before iOS 5 came out. Notes that came with iOS 4 and iOS 5 works well and when it syncs it sends you an email of your note. Reminders comes with iOS 5. I haven't used it yet though...

Thanks! And yes, I check updates regularly, but I beleive there wasn't any updates for "inote" before ios5 was released.

Now I realized something: the Calender on my iphone 4 doesn't work in the way it should after I installed ios5. Actually, some of my friends also noticed some kind of bugs, too. It looks like my device now eats more battery than before.