Thai Govt Will Seek To Spend Bt900 Billion On Flood Recovery

webfact

The negativity here is depressing.

Whatever figure was given out I think TV members would moan saying it was too high or too low.

That's all you lot do is moan. Your sarcasm is almost racist.

A determination to find a long term solution to the flood problems is precisely what is needed and it is going to cost a huge amount of money. The money will create a huge number of jobs for Thais and will benefit the whole of Thailand not just Bangkok. Why does everyone here condemn it before anything has even been started. Just because some of the money will go astray is no reason for that. Money goes astray in all government spending all over the world. Look at your home countries before spouting your puritan bullshit here.

When you grasp the sheer scale of corruption here, you will start to understand.

I am put in mind of the judges in the highest court in the land.

The officials awarded themselves a small salary increase. 'Somebody' suggested that they did not have the authority to give themselves this small increase.

'Okay' they said we will resign from our positions until it is decided whether we acted illegally.....

I merely wondered what high profile cases which were due to be heard 'ran out of time' during this inactive period.....

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yingluck can just snap her pretty little fingers and magically come up with 900 billion baht number. When you're rich like Thaksin and his sister, any problem can be solved by throwing money at it - just as long as a pile of that money blows back. Meanwhile, there are still a raft of on-going problems which don't get a smidgen of that:

>>>> education reform. Assisting Thais to speak better than bar-girl English. Currently, only about 1 in 10,000 Thais can speak more than 'How are you?" "I'm fine thank you."

I've met scores of Burmese street vendors who speak better English than the dozen Thai university English teachers I know.

>>>> assisting hundreds of thousands of Thai-born hill tribers to get an Thai ID card.

>>>> building and stocking some libraries in the library wasteland known as Thailand

>>>> creating some natural parks (not cement slabs) near Thai towns and villages. Currently nearly no parks are found in Thailand.

>>>> helping preserve natural habitat. Currently, there are virtually no wild mammals in the whole of Thailand, other than bats and rats.

>>>> education reform. Assisting Thais to speak better than bar-girl English. Currently, only about 1 in 10,000 Thais can speak more than 'How are you?" "I'm fine thank you."<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">I've met scores of Burmese street vendors who speak better English than the dozen Thai university English teachers I know.

Totally agreed! But the reform must consist of a better education in an English speaking country for English teachers, until they do have enough good English speaking educators to educate their own teachers.

Another critical point is the ' nobody fails' strategy.

More teachers could be employed and students would seriously think about learning English, or other subjects like Geography...jap.gif Without these changes, nothing will change.

Their old idea, to employ 80,000 "native English speakers" mostly from India and the Philippines, making 85,000 baht/month is more than questionable.

But reality is always different to theory, the guys in charge don't really know what they're doing. Forgive them..........jap.gif

Edited by sirchai

Whatever figure was given out I think TV members would moan saying it was too high or too low.

A determination to find a long term solution to the flood problems is precisely what is needed and it is going to cost a huge amount of money. The money will create a huge number of jobs for Thais and will benefit the whole of Thailand not just Bangkok. Why does everyone here condemn it before anything has even been started. Just because some of the money will go astray is no reason for that. Money goes astray in all government spending all over the world. Look at your home countries before spouting your puritan bullshit here.

When you grasp the sheer scale of corruption here, you will start to understand.

I came to Thailand 22 years ago as a consultant to the government and worked on projects for half a dozen ministries until 1999. 30% of project budget was "supplemental" then and my Thai associates tell me that's still the number.

Have you only just noticed? All the posters in this particular thread are totally anti government no matter what it does, some virulently, some just sarcastically. As I wrote elsewhere if a meteorite crashed into Bangkok they would claim it was Yingluck's fault.

I take exception to your omniscient statement. As a guest in this country I make it a point to at least try and be non-political in any comments I make. I leave the politics to the Thais as is their right. My endeavour to stay away from politics does not carry over to criticism of specific examples of incompetence or competence, corruption or public service, and the other dichotomies that make up life in Thailand. I like you tire quickly of inane political claptrap. Take more care in blanket statements or you will be guilty of the same methods of those you are criticizing.

Have you only just noticed? All the posters in this particular thread are totally anti government no matter what it does, some virulently, some just sarcastically. As I wrote elsewhere if a meteorite crashed into Bangkok they would claim it was Yingluck's fault.

Indeed. Lets actually praise the government for looking at investing realistic amounts in infrastructure, or at least trying to do something.

Can I ask you 3 " PT Government apologisers" a question??? Do you all live in the same "red village" resort in the North - called "LALA LAND" (home for confused expats) that fail to see "the real picture" and live in a self-concocted dreamworld of your own!!!!!:lol:.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Oh come on now.....

Don't start getting all logical!

These fools seeking any and all opportunities to inject their anti-"red" venom are the same people who polluted the forum for months last year.

Seems they are here by mistake. They were looking for ThaiPolitics.com. Wish they could find it and leave us in peace.

Until then, i have decided to report every over-the-top post for objectionable content. Perhaps if more would join in, TV would become a vitriol-free zone. :annoyed:

Edited by bobbin

One is led to speculate just why the supporters of this particular programme are in favour of the, " creative accounting practices ? " the diversion of funds always affects the the end user, in this case Mr.and Mrs.Sonchai who have lost their all.

20+ years here and as normal corruption still survives in an open fashion.

Indeed. Lets actually praise the government for looking at investing realistic amounts in infrastructure, or at least trying to do something.

But will it really happen ?

This government promised all sorts of infrastructure-spending pre-election, then spent 3 months in-power cutting-back on the promises, for example stopping the upgraded-railways short of the borders where they were supposed to link-up to other lines.

The promised investments only help the economy if they are carried-out, otherwise it's just the familiar pork-barrels, for the latest set of snouts in the trough. <_<

So heartwarming to see such an ardent supporter of democracy and free speech in bobbin is it not ?

We can all presume that post # 38 is the first reported post. ?

To coin a phrase from another poster.

"Yay for Red Demo(n)cracy."

Edited by siampolee

As politicians get 30% of government expenditure, that means 300 billion Baht will be siphoned off by politicians. But I'm sure Thaksin will not get involved in their dirty, self-seeking behaviour and will scold anyone who dares to try to transfer any money into his off-shore bank accounts.

I came to Thailand 22 years ago as a consultant to the government and worked on projects for half a dozen ministries until 1999. 30% of project budget was "supplemental" then and my Thai associates tell me that's still the number.

Thank you. Only one sentence long but containing more pertinent information to the OP than all the other posts put together.

Oh come on now.....

These fools seeking any and all opportunities to inject their anti-"red" venom are the same people who polluted the forum for months last year.

Seems they are here by mistake. They were looking for ThaiPolitics.com. Wish they could find it and leave us in peace.

Until then, i have decided to report every over-the-top post for objectionable content. Perhaps if more would join in, TV would become a vitriol-free zone. :annoyed:

So you are employing your own "self righteous" form of bigoted censorship then - I hope that the moderators treat your reports with the disdain that they deserve and only remove those offensive and insensitive posts that cannot be justified!!!! Have you ever heard of things such as "freedom of speech" and read about the "doctrines of dictatorship" - this assumes that you can read, that is :jap:!!!

I suppose you are going to report this posting - I hope you do so that the moderators can see what your game is, and that is to stifle anything that doesn't comply with your freakishly self-indulgent and selfish attitudes on your own beliefs being correct against all others being wrong - shame on you my friend for your devious behaviour - why don't you find a forum that finds people like you acceptable participants and leave TV to those that want to air their grievances about all matters Thai (including the abject performance of this pathetic government) for which, and for some unearthly and irrational reason, you seem intent on protecting!!!!:annoyed:.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

If a meteorite were approaching Bangkok, Yingluck would be saying every day, "No, it's all right everyone. It won't hit Bangkok." Then after it hits Bangkok, "It's all right everyone. We have everything under control. ... No, we don't need any outside help." Each day afterwards, "Everything is still fine. We can manage."

Oh come on now.....

So you are employing your own "self righteous" form of bigoted censorship then - I hope that the moderators treat your reports with the disdain that they deserve and only remove those offensive and insensitive posts that cannot be justified!!!! Have you ever heard of things such as "freedom of speech" and read about the "doctrines of dictatorship" - this assumes that you can read, that is :jap:!!!

I suppose you are going to report this posting - I hope you do so that the moderators can see what your game is, and that is to stifle anything that doesn't comply with your freakishly self-indulgent and selfish attitudes on your own beliefs being correct against all others being wrong - shame on you my friend for your devious behaviour - why don't you find a forum that finds people like you acceptable participants and leave TV to those that want to air their grievances about all matters Thai (including the performance of this abject government) for which and for some unearthly reason you seem intent on protecting ie: for some profoundly insane reason that I cannot fathom!!!!:annoyed:.

Careful Steve, you don't want to blow a gasket!

Why would you think I cannot read? It would be rather difficult to post without being able to read, would it not? :whistling:

As for leaving ThaiVisa to those that want to air their grievances, that is exactly what I don't want.

Edited by bobbin

I take exception to your omniscient statement. As a guest in this country I make it a point to at least try and be non-political in any comments I make. I leave the politics to the Thais as is their right. My endeavour to stay away from politics does not carry over to criticism of specific examples of incompetence or competence, corruption or public service, and the other dichotomies that make up life in Thailand. I like you tire quickly of inane political claptrap. Take more care in blanket statements or you will be guilty of the same methods of those you are criticizing.

Well Bucky, my apologies if I sound omniscient, I wish I was. The fact is I am now entering my second week of sitting in my flooded home with water up to my knees and up to my waist outside in the road. Add to this my computer is not happy with the excessive humidity and keeps shutting down. My feet are sore and waterlogged, and my back is getting rheumatism. Under these circumstances I am not in the mood for being finicky about my choice of words, nor for reading the constant anti government drivel. I want meaningful information and conversation, can't we keep the whinging for later and concentrate on the problems.

Here's some more details on how the money is to be spent... complete with the requisite catchy new slogan...

"New Thailand Project" : Post-Flood Program by the Government

Lists of prevention and rehabilitation plans have been constantly rolled out like the current flood waves flowing from the North to hit parts of Thailand. The latest one of all plans was initiated on 30 October 2011 by Yingluck Shinawatra's government at Energy Complex Building, Ministry of Energy.

After the special Cabinet meeting on the day, Energy Minister Mr Pichai Naripthaphan revealed a project titled "New Thailand" which was brought into discussion as the national post-flood strategies among relevant ministers including Commerce Minister, Justice Minister, Transports Minister and ICT Minister.

The project is divided into 2 major phases. The first is the short-term rehabilitation strategy which demands a budget of approximately 100,000 million THB and will be implemented during the first year after the flood situation.

Information from related local agencies and proposals from other countries such as the United States, the Netherlands and Japan will be taken into account for rehabilitation in this phase.

As for the long-term phase, it involves rehabilitation of the flood-ravaged industrial estates which in turn will generate job opportunities, reduce employment rate and improve the economy. Moreover, the Ministry of Energy has called on vocational students to inspect flooded equipment, machines and cars.

The Ministry also has plans to reduce oil price by 50% and probably cut down on electricity bills for the residents in the flooded areas.

Meanwhile, workers will be hired back to repair the broken infrastructures. The budget in this phase costs up to approximately 600,000-800,000 million THB.

However, it is confirmed that the amount of budget is not a problem since there is a large amount of reserved capital and several countries have shown their willingness to help in terms of funds as well, Energy Minister claimed.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-10-31 footer_n.gif

Edited by Buchholz

Oh come on now.....

I suppose you are going to report this posting - I hope you do so that the moderators can see what your game is, and that is to stifle anything that doesn't comply with your freakishly self-indulgent and selfish attitudes on your own beliefs being correct against all others being wrong - shame on you my friend for your devious behaviour - why don't you find a forum that finds people like you acceptable participants and leave TV to those that want to air their grievances about all matters Thai (including the performance of this abject government) for which and for some unearthly reason you seem intent on protecting ie: for some profoundly insane reason that I cannot fathom!!!!:annoyed:.

Careful Steve, you don't want to blow a gasket!

Why would you think I cannot read? It would be rather difficult to post without being able to read, would it not? :whistling:

As for leaving ThaiVisa to those that want to air their grievances, that is exactly what I don't want.

On the reading aspect, I thought that maybe you had somebody sitting next to you helping out!!!

On the second aspect - YOU reporting people for airing their views against your beloved "criminal red shirts" and your rather dumb "kick em off TV" attitude doesn't exactly leave me feeling that you want them to stay on TV unless they toe-the-line and listen to and obey your pathetic rules on what and how, they should and shouldn't be posting on!!!!

By the way, what's your helpers name???? Tell her (or him) just in case you get all PC on me that they are doing an admirable job in aiding you on account of your misfortune in not being able to read. Perhaps they can educate you as well or maybe that's asking just a bit too much of them as they have their own life to live and it might be a life-long mission getting through to you :jap:.

Can I ask you 3 " PT Government apologisers" a question??? Do you all live in the same "red village" resort in the North - called "LALA LAND" (home for confused expats) that fail to see "the real picture" and live in a self-concocted dreamworld of your own!!!!!:lol:.

Can I ask your gaggle of perpetually carping fogeys a question? Do you fail to understand that no matter how much you moan, no matter how many different Thaivisa threads you feel compelled to reproduce your pellets of recliner punditry on, there's fuc_k all you can do to influence the decisions of Thai policymakers. ALL politicians (Thai or otherwise) adopt populist policies and make promises at times of voter disenchantment.

You're ministers without portfolios who've formed some kind of pathetic, impotent opposition putting Thailand to rights on a farang-orientated forum that has zero influence on the country's political landscape.

Go start a thread for your Thai Tea Party on which you can discuss flood politics instead of contaminating every discussion with your drivel.

Frankly, the "real picture" is this: if you don't like the way the country's run, get a one way flight!

Edited by HardenedSoul

I take exception to your omniscient statement.

Well Bucky, my apologies if I sound omniscient, I wish I was. The fact is I am now entering my second week of sitting in my flooded home with water up to my knees and up to my waist outside in the road. Add to this my computer is not happy with the excessive humidity and keeps shutting down. My feet are sore and waterlogged, and my back is getting rheumatism. Under these circumstances I am not in the mood for being finicky about my choice of words, nor for reading the constant anti government drivel. I want meaningful information and conversation, can't we keep the whinging for later and concentrate on the problems.

Best of luck to you anterian. You really do sound like you are in a bad way. I think all of us bickering idiots on TV wish you and all those in the same situation as you god speed for return to a dry normalcy. Keep your mouse dry!

But surely, "the constant anti-government drivel" you refer to IS the same as the "supposed meaningful information" that you are so desparately and understandably seeking, given out by said government, to alleviate your unfortunate situation!!!

Has it not occurred to you that "getting your feet wet" is MAYBE down to the government's faiings??? Still you insist on ralying around Yingluck and her hapless musketeers - unbelievable!!!! but I admire the way you retain the same institutionalised "blind faith" shown to this government (that does care (well a few of them), is purportedly doing its best, confusing everyone, enriching itself, publicising themselves as heroes and saviours - with other peoples generosity and kindness) etc: just like the uneducated Northerners continue to do so, despite their own seemingly never ending misery.

I cannot feel that much personal sympathy for you really. Its like "hugging the hangman before he opens the trap door"!!!!:blink:.

May I suggest you put your foot in your mouth and suck on your toes!!!:D.

Can I ask your gaggle of perpetually carping fogeys a question? Do you fail to understand that no matter how much you moan, no matter how many different Thaivisa threads you feel compelled to reproduce your pellets of recliner punditry on, there's fuc_k all you can do to influence the decisions of Thai policymakers. ALL politicians (Thai or otherwise) adopt populist policies and make promises at times of voter disenchantment.

You're ministers without portfolios who've formed some kind of pathetic, impotent opposition putting Thailand to rights on a farang-orientated forum that has zero influence on the country's political landscape.

Go start a thread for your Thai Tea Party on which you can discuss flood politics instead of contaminating every discussion with your drivel.

Frankly, the "real picture" is this: if you don't like the way the country's run, get a one way flight!

Spot on. I wonder what most of them are doing here, they seem to hate everything about Thailand.

-- Thai Tea Party lol :)

SICHONSTEVE Perhaps if you understood that not everyone lives in the Bangkok bubble you would get a better understanding of thai people. Bangkok is not Thailand! I divide my time between the two so have a decent understanding of the contrast.

Incidentally my village in Chayapoum just reelected a democrat as it's boss. He did throw a bit of money around as did his opponent but again that is not unique to Thailand and in general he does a very good job so good luck to him.

But surely, "the constant anti-government drivel" you refer to IS the same as the "supposed meaningful information" that you are so desparately and understandably seeking, given out by said government, to alleviate your unfortunate situation!!!

Has it not occurred to you that "getting your feet wet" is MAYBE down to the government's faiings??? Still you insist on ralying around Yingluck and her hapless musketeers - unbelievable!!!! but I admire the way you retain the same institutionalised "blind faith" shown to this government (that does care (well a few of them), is purportedly doing its best, confusing everyone, enriching itself, publicising themselves as heroes and saviours - with other peoples generosity and kindness) etc: just like the uneducated Northerners continue to do so, despite their own seemingly never ending misery.

I cannot feel that much personal sympathy for you really. Its like "hugging the hangman before he opens the trap door"!!!!:blink:.

May I suggest you put your foot in your mouth and suck on your toes!!!:D.

Sick steve, thank you for your kind wishes, much appreciatedjap.gif

Perhaps you would care to contact your friend the governor of Bangkok and thank him for refusing to allow the water to flow and for generally being obstructive towards Yingluck. I probably have a better understanding of the problems she is facing than you ever will. I don't need your personal sympathy, I grew up in war time London, I know how to face hardship and rationing, nor did I blame Chamberlain for being naive. As to my foot I would like to place it in your mouth.... forcefully!angry.gif

There has been a survey quoted on this site where thai were asked about corruption and would they prefer to eliminate it. Approximately 70% said that it was an accepted practice and they also said they would not change it. That is where the skepticism comes from here and it comes from the corruption we face every day typically being on the losing end of that corruption. Judging from your statement, I would guess you are in denial and are a part of that 70%. And by the way, who do you think is more racist, thais or foreigners?

I'm amazed the they could come up with a fixed amount now. How could they really know how much money is needed?

Guess their fortune teller Mr. T. knew the future before....jap.gif

Good point.

This sounds like the bailouts of 2008 throwing around big numbers before you know the damage. In the US they still have money left over they haven't used for their bailouts after nearly 3 years. Investing in infrastructure is a great idea but, come on.... this is Thailand. It's not worth the money after all the skimming and payoffs.

My dear Somo: I actually cannot remember on which of these threads it was but I already pointed out BEFORE the announcement that this man made mess was very likely done for the juicy clean up projects for the PM and her bro's cronies or family.

Of course.

The "mismanagement" could not have been incompetence REALLY.

Curious George calling the shots would have got it right SOMETIMES.

So the statistically unbelievable performance of the PM day after day and FROC day after day and all the smoke and mirrors made it obvious this was a man made disaster and the only reasonable conclusion was for the post-flood contracts and destruction of Thailand's independent agricultural base.

Having a nice round number for recovery ready to pull out of a hat is additional proof.

No plans, no stages, no research, no discussion, no town hall meetings, no gathering of ideas, no "foreign experts", no public discussion but Taksin knows he'd be happy with Baht 900 billion.

I am sure he would consider that fair compensation for having to travel all over the world to avoid any jail time.

The family should be charged with treason. And the criminal government cronies too.

OF COURSE, they had to destroy the country with a flood because there were no more forests left to rape and pillage.

It is evil genius.

I would have thought that after chopping down all the tropical hardwood forests and selling all the jungle animals on the black market, the rape and pillage was over.

Boy, was I wrong!

What a stroke of absolute genius to have another wave of exploitation and selfish greed by flooding 30-40% of the country.

Rape the environment to death, then rape the environmental corpse with intentional mismanagement of the worst flooding anybody can remember.

I tip my hat to the PM and her bro. That is really masterful evil genius.

The condition should be immediately set that no contractors with even the least connection with the present Gang of Terrorists be allowed to get any post-flood contracts.

Thais should demand the PM's family, cronies, "pack of running dogs", lackeys, friends and supporters NOT GET ONE BAHT from this intentional destruction of the country which exceeds Thailand's suffering in WWII.

Thais should also come to the support of their independent farmers and prevent CP taking over the entire system of food production and distribution in Thailand.

Thais should put these corruption practices and evil beasts on a leaky boat in any Bangkok canal and send them out to sea and START OVER with a clean slate.

Perhaps the only benefit of this current disaster is the opportunity for a FRESH START and a NEW WAY to do things in Thailand.

Spot on. I wonder what most of them are doing here, they seem to hate everything about Thailand.

-- Thai Tea Party lol :)

SICHONSTEVE Perhaps if you understood that not everyone lives in the Bangkok bubble you would get a better understanding of thai people. Bangkok is not Thailand! I divide my time between the two so have a decent understanding of the contrast.

Incidentally my village in Chayapoum just reelected a democrat as it's boss. He did throw a bit of money around as did his opponent but again that is not unique to Thailand and in general he does a very good job so good luck to him.

Fair enough, a civilised retort deserves a civilised response.

My only qualm really is the unmitigated protection and defence of this government no matter what they do, or don't do, to the detriment of Thailand and it's people. It just doesn't make sense to me why they deserve to garner such support when it is usually ill-deserved!!!!

Why are people in self-denial on what is occurring in Thailand and refuse "through thick and thin" to stomach any criticism of this government when it is clearly justifed and constructive (most) of the time.

I can see that your point is reasoned and you are not blinkered in your thoughts like others that I argue against.

If I offended you then I apologise as you don't fit in the camp of my intended criticism - it seems that your community is actually politically savvy (I don't know where it is) but I honestly believe that (on the whole) Democrats are a far better choice of MP than Pheu Thai ANYWHERE in Thailand as this government is basically made up of people new to politics, inexperienced, incapable (no matter how well meaning they are) and they're political intentions are oft dubious to say the least!!!!

I hope that this, in part, explains my occasional OTOP rants on issues that I feel strongly on!!!:jap:.

There has been a survey quoted on this site where thai were asked about corruption and would they prefer to eliminate it. Approximately 70% said that it was an accepted practice and they also said they would not change it. That is where the skepticism comes from here and it comes from the corruption we face every day typically being on the losing end of that corruption. Judging from your statement, I would guess you are in denial and are a part of that 70%. And by the way, who do you think is more racist, thais or foreigners?

The fact that you think a survey amongst a bunch of expats about Thailand has any relevance does imply you have a hightened sense of self importance and limited awareness. Thais will do things their own way and I think planning long term by investing in the infrastructure of the country to the benefit of all is to be applauded not shot down in flames. Big government contracts the world over are infiltrated by corruption. Why you think it is your right to tell Thais how to run their country is beyond me. If you don't like the place what are you doing here? If you think it is your duty to fight corruption here rather than at home what have you done about it?

Try to be constructive rather than negative about everything.

As to your question about racism the posts here make it very clear.