Thai Govt Will Seek To Spend Bt900 Billion On Flood Recovery

webfact

Gweiloman>> 'Accept or go home' is the best you can bring to the forum?

Well, at least it's a new strategy in attempting to deflect criticism from the government, Thaksin, and his cabal

And you are a prime candidate for my advice posted above.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The negativity here is depressing.

Whatever figure was given out I think TV members would moan saying it was too high or too low.

That's all you lot do is moan. Your sarcasm is almost racist.

A determination to find a long term solution to the flood problems is precisely what is needed and it is going to cost a huge amount of money. The money will create a huge number of jobs for Thais and will benefit the whole of Thailand not just Bangkok. Why does everyone here condemn it before anything has even been started. Just because some of the money will go astray is no reason for that. Money goes astray in all government spending all over the world. Look at your home countries before spouting your puritan bullshit here.

Have you only just noticed? All the posters in this particular thread are totally anti government no matter what it does, some virulently, some just sarcastically. As I wrote elsewhere if a meteorite crashed into Bangkok they would claim it was Yingluck's fault.

Thank you two for your comments. I am so tired of the BS that seems to pore out here, the negativity of some posters. If you have nothing constructive to add, "DON'T". Reading here is like watching a hockey game with a bunch of armchair potatoes that have never played the game as they yell at the poor performance of the players when they can hardly walk far enough to get a beer!!!!!!

Maybe it's time I just stopped reading this TV stuff.

Posts containing derogatory comments directed at Thais have been removed.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Other nonsensical posts have been removed.

Where is the 900 billion baht going to come from? They have difficulty providing the laptop or Ipad like device, and many opther promises that they made. Is money going to rain down from the sky?

The US announced yesterday they are giving Thailand $15 million for flood damages. That's about half of the 900bn Yingluck was declaring. That 900 was no accidental figure. She knew the US would pay half of what she declared.

I'm disgusted with the US. They apparently don't care or check how their citizens are being treated before they unload a pile of cash on Yingluck. No mention of "holidays" for foreigners and their visas because of the floods but there are holidays for toll roads and the thai. I suppose they think they get more late fees. I am sending a letter to my congressman today.

Whatever figure was given out I think TV members would moan saying it was too high or too low.

A determination to find a long term solution to the flood problems is precisely what is needed and it is going to cost a huge amount of money. The money will create a huge number of jobs for Thais and will benefit the whole of Thailand not just Bangkok. Why does everyone here condemn it before anything has even been started. Just because some of the money will go astray is no reason for that. Money goes astray in all government spending all over the world. Look at your home countries before spouting your puritan bullshit here.

Oh come on now.....

Don't start getting all logical!

These fools seeking any and all opportunities to inject their anti-"red" venom are the same people who polluted the forum for months last year.

Seems they are here by mistake. They were looking for ThaiPolitics.com. Wish they could find it and leave us in peace.

Until then, i have decided to report every over-the-top post for objectionable content. Perhaps if more would join in, TV would become a vitriol-free zone. :annoyed:

no, no, no, you're supposed to threaten violence and then lawsuit and then the censorship thing. Keep up please. Has some one been missing their indoctrination's?biggrin.gif

Time to buy shares of Shinawatra holdings

With a 20% rake off the top...that's a cool180,000,000,000.00 baht...I'd be buying shares of Daimler, BMW, and maybe some Cartier as their sales in Thailand are sure to go through the roof <_<

I believe 30% is the standard and will look for the interview link to verify.

Where is the 900 billion baht going to come from? They have difficulty providing the laptop or Ipad like device, and many opther promises that they made. Is money going to rain down from the sky?

The US announced yesterday they are giving Thailand $15 million for flood damages. That's about half of the 900bn Yingluck was declaring.

The U.S. donation is not half of the 900,000,000,000 Baht that Yingluck wants.

It's half of 900 million, not half of 900 Billion.

The US announced yesterday they are giving Thailand $15 million for flood damages. That's about half of the 900bn Yingluck was declaring. That 900 was no accidental figure. She knew the US would pay half of what she declared.

I'm disgusted with the US. They apparently don't care or check how their citizens are being treated before they unload a pile of cash on Yingluck. No mention of "holidays" for foreigners and their visas because of the floods but there are holidays for toll roads and the thai. I suppose they think they get more late fees. I am sending a letter to my congressman today.

$15,000,000 = ฿450,000,000 ... which is equal to 0.05% of ฿900,000,000,000 ... not 50%

I'm sure your congressman will get right on fixing this outrage. Might want to add that you have to pay double for national parks too :lol:

I would like to see Miss Whiplash keep here word, as above. I am sick of all this bitching, infighting and recriminations. In case you have no noticed this nation is in crisis, as are some of the writers, including me.

Let the political fighting begin after the waters have gone, I am sure all will find it exhilarating, but for the moment if you have no more useful comment than a political bitch, then stow it.

Just for the record I have just received another food parcel, they average one parcel every 2 days. They come in blank bags/sacks, no indication of who from. I do know that one came from the Thai Red Cross, one from the C.P group, one from a company called "Aero" whoever they are. I know because I make a point of asking.

In addition we have been lent 3 plastic boats by the district office, and the local obadur and Puyai have each sent packages of important medications. I have no idea what colour shirts they wear.

As far as I can see in my little corner of Nonthaburi the authorities are doing the best they can, children and infirm are all in a shelter, plus those who just cannot face up to this situation. I cannot see what else they could do. I don't doubt there is corruption going on, but not in my area.

Situationwise, the water has dropped 1 cm, it is now 69 cm no longer 70 cm. The water is also noticeably cleaner although it still smells.

For the first few days I was feeding lots of starving birds, these have now gone, I guess wings are useful.

At the personal level, I have successfully dealt with an infected foot, cut on some broken glass underwater.

One interesting aspect of this food rationing, a recent study showed that type 2 diabetics, such as myself can cure this problem by a 3 month highly reduced diet, 600 calories per day. Now my blood sugar level is normally with medication around 9 mmol/L, (Americans use a different system) it should be between 5 and 7 in a healthy person. Well today I just checked for the first time since the floods, it is 4.9 ... almost too low. I guess every cloud has a silver lining.cool.gif

On the downside my blood pressure is up to 160, but heck I'm stressedbiggrin.gif. I guess having to replace all the furniture and two aircons is reasonable grounds for being stressed.

My thanks to all those who sent me good wishes.

Get a tetanus shot asap and hope all gets better soon but i must ask, whats in the bags?huh.gif

Why does everyone here condemn it before anything has even been started.(?)
....because we've seen repeatedly the poor ill-thought-out decisions and corruption that accompanies decisions by this gov't. PT, by its own admission (its campaign pledge: Thaksin Thinks, PT Acts) follows the lead of Thaksin. Thaksin is a rich money-worshiping man residing half a world away. Rich people in general, and Thaksin in particular think that throwing tons of other peoples' money at problems will fix them. They also think that borrowing as much as possible is the way forward. Thaksin and his ilk have proven they have no qualms about cheating the Thai gov't (tax evasion, hiding assets, etc etc). Need I go on?

$15,000,000 = ฿450,000,000 ... which is equal to 0.05% of ฿900,000,000,000 ... not 50%

Thanks for the correction

No worries. When the government starts throwing out these sort of huge numbers, it's easy to err with calculations.

p.s. I'd still be good to write your congressman and voice your disapproval for the U.S. to donate money to Yingluck.

I just hope that whatever money is spent on trying to fix the flooding problems is money well spent!

No matter where it comes from and or if part of it is siphoned off as so many people beleive it will be.

Remember this is to help the Thai people in the future so many people will not suffer again.

No worries. When the government starts throwing out these sort of huge numbers, it's easy to err with calculations.

p.s. I'd still be good to write your congressman and voice your disapproval for the U.S. to donate money to Yingluck.

Thanks. :jap:

I am putting together a draft now. I would urge other Americans living here to do the same. It's easy to get the info for sending a letter by searching "contacting your congressman". There is quite a laundry list that could be complied and delivered via letter. This country does not deserve our tax money. They get enough money through fleecing.

Thanks. :jap:

I am putting together a draft now. I would urge other Americans living here to do the same. It's easy to get the info for sending a letter by searching "contacting your congressman". There is quite a laundry list that could be complied and delivered via letter. This country does not deserve our tax money. They get enough money through fleecing.

Available at website

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

U.S. House of Representatives /Write Your Representative

This service will assist you by identifying your congressperson in the U.S. House of Representatives and providing contact information. If you do not know your correct ZIP+4, you may look it up online at the U.S. Postal Service web site.

To contact your Representative -

Enter your ZIP code:

Edited by Buchholz

When you grasp the sheer scale of corruption here, you will start to understand.

I came to Thailand 22 years ago as a consultant to the government and worked on projects for half a dozen ministries until 1999. 30% of project budget was "supplemental" then and my Thai associates tell me that's still the number.

30 per cent? That all seems perfectly normal. It's the going rate in Russia too.

Cabinet approves flood rehabilitation plan as proposed by NESDB; orders all ministries to come up with own plan too/TAN_Network

Yep ... That makes typical Thai sense. Everyone come up with their own plan. Don't bother working together to come up with a coordinated plan.

Have you only just noticed? All the posters in this particular thread are totally anti government no matter what it does, some virulently, some just sarcastically. As I wrote elsewhere if a meteorite crashed into Bangkok they would claim it was Yingluck's fault.

I am anti-government as a start-position for ANY government, since they all spend tax-money as if it was their own goodie-bag and they all spend it on the wrong things - with a huge part of it lost to corruption too.

What is your reason for supporting a broken system?

No government no matter what it's place in the political spectrum should ever be allowed to go unquestioned. Politicians are civil servants and are there to serve the people and so it is human nature to ask yourself one thing. Why would they wish to put themselves in that position unless there was something in it for them?

Edited by bigbamboo

Yingluck Banks on $26 Billion Plan After Flood ‘Stumble’

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra plans to win back confidence in her 12-week-old government with a reconstruction package after Bangkok residents blamed her for an inadequate response to the country’s worst floods since 1942.

“The floods may be a blessing in disguise for the government to wake up and do the things it needs to do to improve this country,” Energy Minister Pichai Naripthaphan, who has proposed spending as much as 800 billion baht ($26 billion) on recovery efforts, said in a phone interview. “It’s just like a kid who starts walking and a strong wind blows. You might stumble, but then you need to get up and start walking again.”

Mixed messages over the severity of the flooding, which fueled panic in Bangkok, threaten to erode Yingluck’s popularity and energize opponents whose protests led to the demise of her brother, Thaksin Shinawatra, five years ago. To regain the trust of voters who have seen floods swamp their homes and shutter factories employing more than 600,000 workers she will have to rebuild damaged roads, bridges, homes and factories.

Three-quarters of the respondents in an Oct. 30 Assumption University poll of Bangkokians said the administration’s relief efforts were inadequate.

Continues:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-11-05/yingluck-banks-on-26-billion-plan-after-flood-stumble-.html

Bloomberg - Nov. 5, 2011

We condemn it before ti happens because a lot of us have lived here a long time and have seen far too many times those greedy frog faced SOBS in their spanking new 4x4s that seem to materialize every time a new roads gets built, a new school gets opened, a new policy gets passed. Personally I'm sick of it and yes, before any of you cynical old booze hounds pick my post to pieces, yes I am leaving.

We condemn it before ti happens because a lot of us have lived here a long time and have seen far too many times those greedy frog faced SOBS in their spanking new 4x4s that seem to materialize every time a new roads gets built, a new school gets opened, a new policy gets passed. Personally I'm sick of it and yes, before any of you cynical old booze hounds pick my post to pieces, yes I am leaving.

I am possibly one of those booze hounds but I agree with you. Why you leaving so soon?

I just hope that whatever money is spent on trying to fix the flooding problems is money well spent!

No matter where it comes from and or if part of it is siphoned off as so many people beleive it will be.

Remember this is to help the Thai people in the future so many people will not suffer again.

......and all the soi dogs will shake off the water and remarkably turn in to sweet non-barking dogs.

Seriously though, now she's talking about Bt.900 billion. It must be another of her brother's suggestions. Where did they get the number from - their crystal ball gazing friend in Chiang Mai? When you're so wealthy, money starts looking like colored monopoly money, stacks and stacks of it, just aching to be spent. Subsequent deluges of Bkk are inevitable and will likely be worse than this one. And just as surely, tinfoil hatted politicians will be throwing billions of baht at them. .....sure to bring an inner grin to the faces of all the big shots between the money and the projects.

Why is it that you don't want your Gov't to assist a good ally , a country that gave the USA unbounded assistance in the Vietnam adventure and that has a democratically elected Prime Minister ???

If your concern is Yingluck, what is your attitude towards the ordinary Thai people???

A country that is clearly a partner in American interests in S.E Asia since WW2.

Why do you wish to impede solving the problem ??

IE, the floods and hardship.

I think she'll be able to probably get about a Billion baht for every dead body she can can come up with. At only 506 dead she's still a bit short of her goal of 900 Billion, but I'm not counting her out just yet.

Pretty fxxccccng sick.

Hope you get the help you need.

Why is it that you don't want your Gov't to assist a good ally , a country that gave the USA unbounded assistance in the Vietnam adventure and that has a democratically elected Prime Minister ???

If your concern is Yingluck, what is your attitude towards the ordinary Thai people???

A country that is clearly a partner in American interests in S.E Asia since WW2.

Why do you wish to impede solving the problem ??

IE, the floods and hardship.

I said to not donate it to Yingluck, I didn't say to not donate it to a good ally.

The U.S.A. can donate all it can directly to

news2011-05-12_08-49-28_255405120004_thai_red_cross.jpg

That way, it will actually reach the Thai people and not Yingluck.

With a generous donation bypassing the governmental channels, it can go a long way in solving the problem, ie. the floods and hardship.

I think she'll be able to probably get about a Billion baht for every dead body she can can come up with. At only 506 dead she's still a bit short of her goal of 900 Billion, but I'm not counting her out just yet.

Pretty fxxccccng sick.

Hope you get the help you need.

You talk as if killing people wasn't the goal. If it were true they didn't want dead people they'd be doing more, don't you think? THAT'S sick if you ask me.

<snip>

As if it is going to her pocket......( any evidence for that by the way ?? )

You make a direct accusation, see the underlined bit above.

If you believe all that you say and imply, you should have the courage to make yourself public with your accusations of Prime Ministerial and Government malfeasance.

Especially if you have evidence.

The court system will actually support you, if you are correct in your accusations and myriad implications and innuendos.

........if you have evidence.

This is your civic duty, is it not ?

Edited by soundman
Removed quote mess. See post #129 above for previous conversation.