Thai Language Course Offerings In Cm

samsara

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a complex topic, and there are differing views on the values delivered by each institution.

First, I think that you might begin my doing a simple search (Google?) for Thai Language Courses, Chiang Mai. In this way you will be able to find if they offer validation of extended visas at all. Some do not. This way too, the schools make their own presentations.

There are not that many, so easy work for you and fresh information. Also, usually, prices and required number of hours of attendance in order to qualify for the annual visa (or semi, perhaps).

Then, using the Search function of Thai Visa, Chiang Mai, ask your questions such as Best Language School? Since results begin with the most recent, you should be able to learn what you wish.

Finally, if you are wishing to party rather than learn the language, I think all of the schools now have mandatory attendance rules. I know of two that I would regard as being serious learning instutions and another where teachers are less well trained (don't ask).

Hope this helps.:D

Edited by CMX

Most schools offer the ED visa tuition. I understand that you have to enrol for 200 hours of study. Schools vary in the way they teach, some teach starting with reading and writing, which is possibly the best way but it is slower to grasp the essentials. Others learn vocabulary and move on to reading and writing. I recommend Cornerstone for price, quality and flexibility but that is only through personal experience with them.Cornerstone is the latter method. Others will recommend different schools.I attach a link to tCornerstone's Ed visa page.

http://www.learnthais.com/studentvisa.html

Most schools offer the ED visa tuition. I understand that you have to enrol for 200 hours of study. Schools vary in the way they teach, some teach starting with reading and writing, which is possibly the best way but it is slower to grasp the essentials. Others learn vocabulary and move on to reading and writing. I recommend Cornerstone for price, quality and flexibility but that is only through personal experience with them.Cornerstone is the latter method. Others will recommend different schools.I attach a link to tCornerstone's Ed visa page.

http://www.learnthai...tudentvisa.html

exactly what im looking for. thanks so much

Schools offering Ed Visas are often just Visa factories and extremely poor at teaching Thai language.

Looking at the Cornerstones website, they don't seem to offer short packages as the more normal schools do.

But if you only want the Visa and are not worried about learning Thai you would most likely be OK.

Payap University, Whalen and Pro Language are all much better known and offer ed visa

AUA and YMCA are much cheaper and proper language schools but don't seem to offer ed visa.

Edited by ludditeman

I am a student at AUA and would recommend it highly...

Right inside Moat, Cool old building, Been there for 25 years...

Just watch out for Kruu Oronut in Reading & Writing Level 1 - She is a task master!!! :(

And they do offer Visa's as my classmate has one from them :rolleyes:

Edited by sfokevin

What ever school you decide on make sure they are approved by the Education Department.

There is one individual teacher that advertises a lot called Ajahn Lah (I think). Avoid like the plague.

If your gonna make a claim as bold as that at least give us some explanation.

What ever school you decide on make sure they are approved by the Education Department.

There is one individual teacher that advertises a lot called Ajahn Lah (I think). Avoid like the plague.

If your gonna make a claim as bold as that at least give us some explanation.

Agreed. Avoid Ajarn Lah at all costs... :bah:

Lessons are (were) conducted in her small studio room that lacks the feel of a classroom atmosphere. She offered a no obligation trial; this was based on "try three lessons and see how you like it", if you do decide to learn after these, pay such and such amount, and if you don't, please pay for the 3 lessons as and when. Fair enough, I thought, so I paid her for the first lesson I was about to receive. She mainly concentrated on phonology for the most part in the first lesson and we ran through some basic greetings. I walked away fairly confident and upbeat about the second lesson. The next lesson was pre-booked 2 days later and I turned up slightly early. I entered the dingy little classroom and she requested I ought to pay for the full 30 hours right now. I was taken aback by this and kindly reminded her that I had only one lesson thus far - perhaps she confused me with another student who was due to pay.

Anyway, she wouldn't have any of it. She insisted that I pay the full amount and whilst I politely declined, she grew more and more angry. It got to the point (5 mins into my second lesson) where I just wanted to up and leave. I reminded her again that this was just my second lesson and that she previously agreed a "no obligation trial of 3 lessons" So i said again, this was just my 2nd lesson. Her face was so sour and twisted at she just said, OK FINE! She pulled out some flash cards and continued the lesson with such a nonchalant attitude that I just got up, paid her for the time we had, and left.

Ajarn LAH - stay away !!!

This is incorrect.

Payap is the most expensive, and probably the most extensive. AUA offers visa, is second most extensive, and is slightly more(few hundred baht) than what people refer to as the local visa mills (Pro, Walen, See, Corner, ETC)

Don't know much about the Y. CMU has a very bad history with their Thai language course, I wouldn't chance it.

If you really want to learn Thai, have the time , and the money goto Payap. Otherwise, AUA is another great choice. I wouldn't bother with any others.

Schools offering Ed Visas are often just Visa factories and extremely poor at teaching Thai language.

Looking at the Cornerstones website, they don't seem to offer short packages as the more normal schools do.

But if you only want the Visa and are not worried about learning Thai you would most likely be OK.

Payap University, Whalen and Pro Language are all much better known and offer ed visa

AUA and YMCA are much cheaper and proper language schools but don't seem to offer ed visa.

This is incorrect.

Payap is the most expensive, and probably the most extensive. AUA offers visa, is second most extensive, and is slightly more(few hundred baht) than what people refer to as the local visa mills (Pro, Walen, See, Corner, ETC)

Don't know much about the Y. CMU has a very bad history with their Thai language course, I wouldn't chance it.

If you really want to learn Thai, have the time , and the money goto Payap. Otherwise, AUA is another great choice. I wouldn't bother with any others.

Checked it out before: http://ic.payap.ac.th/certificate/thai/about.php

The problem is that I really don't want a rigorous academic setting because of the scheduling demands. That's not to say I don't want the best course out there; but if I MUST attend every weekday morning to keep up, then that's not remotely doable because I plan to travel every 2-3 weeks conducting business and such.

I'd like to attend 3-4x most weeks, but then might be gone for a week or 2 at times and attend 0x. Cornerstone seemed to be flexible enough to allot for that kind of schedule.

To offer an ED visa a school has to be licensed by the Ministry of Education and its Thai curriculum inspected and approved by the Ministry of Education. You claim they are just visa mills and their teaching is poor. Which ones did you study at to come to this conclusion?

If a school is licensed by the MoE, it's straightforward to supply paperwork to support ED visas. If a school can't offer the paperwork to support an ED visa, there's maybe a reason why.

The problem is that I really don't want a rigorous academic setting because of the scheduling demands. That's not to say I don't want the best course out there; but if I MUST attend every weekday morning to keep up, then that's not remotely doable because I plan to travel every 2-3 weeks conducting business and such.

You need to study 1-1 at a school that allows you flexibility.

Another Thai language student just to get a visa?

MSPain

It's legal.

Not questioning the legality. I am wondering what the motives are. That would help determine which course the person may decide on.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

You need to study 1-1 at a school that allows you flexibility.

but wouldnt that be extravagantly expensive? im not looking to pay 800/hr.

MSPain

im already advanced intermediate so its not like i will be just getting off the boat. of course this is the easiest way to satisfy thailand's increasingly frustrating visa requirements; but i also sincerely do want to reach P6 proficiency in a couple yrs.

MSPain

It's legal.

Not questioning the legality. I am wondering what the motives are. That would help determine which course the person may decide on.

MSPain

im being as frank as possible. i want to learn rather intensively (3-4x per week). but i dont want to be tied down to a school schedule where i have to attend every weekday 5 months in a row.

in other words, my chief life goal is not to learn thai. BUT, i do want to learn to read/write+increase my vocab AND its the easiest way to satisfy the visa req long term until i get married and invest.

Edited by samsara

im already advanced intermediate so its not like i will be just getting off the boat. of course this is the easiest way to satisfy thailand's increasingly frustrating visa requirements; but i also sincerely do want to reach P6 proficiency in a couple yrs.

If that is the motive, then I would think the more intensive courses would be better for you. Perhaps Payap would be good.

EDIT: Sorry,... I just read one of your previous posts. You mentioned travelling to do business. Is the business inside Thailand? I don't recall posts about leaving/returning to Thailand during the learning process. What I recall is a very few of the schools did require more strict attendance.

What you might do is contact the schools directly and ask them about that specific case. If you would be doing business inside Thailand, then you would need a work permit with your Non Imm ED visa to do it legally I think.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

To offer an ED visa a school has to be licensed by the Ministry of Education and its Thai curriculum inspected and approved by the Ministry of Education. You claim they are just visa mills and their teaching is poor. Which ones did you study at to come to this conclusion?

If a school is licensed by the MoE, it's straightforward to supply paperwork to support ED visas. If a school can't offer the paperwork to support an ED visa, there's maybe a reason why.

Gifts to Thai officials can open many doors, for both the individual and a company.

You think the man from the MoE is any different?

Gifts to Thai officials can open many doors, for both the individual and a company.

You think the man from the MoE is any different?

Another wild statement to follow on from your previous wild statement.

You still haven't answered my question: Which ones did you study at to come to this conclusion?

• 1 month later...

Hello.

I am a student at Pro Language School and can highly recommend it. It offers up to 3 years Education Visa for people wanting to study Thai. I think it would be very good for you, reading your other comments, as you don't have to go every day to study. I study on a Tuesday and Friday for 2 and half hours each day. If you choose a private class you can choose to study exactly what topics and at what pace you want to learn. I like the group classes here, as they are small and the atmosphere is fun.

Be careful choosing you school, as some schools I know of, and tried as no more than a money making thing selling ED visas, and the teaching and courses are really bad. Pro Language is a respected school and have been open many years in Chiang Mai. I have never had any problems with my ED Visa from them, and their teaching is GREAT.

You can look them up on their website.

Paul.

• Like 1

The ones I've seen seem to be around the 25,000 mark (a little over $800) for a 1 year course, inclusive of the visa requirements (but not the consular fees, which you'd need to pay at whatever embassy you're picking up your visa from).