Thai Airways Avod

WilliaminBKK

Taken from TG's site. Good news

The passenger cabin as well as inflight entertainment system products and services on THAI’s Boeing 747-400 aircraft have been retrofitted, complete with personal video screens and inflight phones in Economy Class on the following routes:

- TG920/921 and TG922/923 between Bangkok and Frankfurt .

- TG910/911 between Bangkok and London , effective 1 December 2011.

- TG916/917 between Bangkok and London , effective 15 December 2011.

Meaningless.

The plasma screen I have in Bangkok is similar to the one I have in London. The difference is that I have infinitely more choice to watch on the one in London.

AVOD's are no different. Flown on airlines where you take one look at what's available and decide sleep is your best option.

I don't think I will be holding my breath...

Meaningless.

The plasma screen I have in Bangkok is similar to the one I have in London. The difference is that I have infinitely more choice to watch on the one in London.

AVOD's are no different. Flown on airlines where you take one look at what's available and decide sleep is your best option.

I don't think I will be holding my breath...

If it has similar content to business class, there will be plenty worth watching. May not be the best selction there is, but there's usually something I want to see. Plus music and the moving map..

I am not surprised. I looked at flying TG to LHR in July this year, cheapest flight 999 GBP return.:o

No thanks

Thats only 46,000 baht, thats not expensive for a direct flight especially in July when its school holidays.

In economy! ermm.gif

The number of Thai apologists on this thread is astonishing!....get over yourselves!!

I am not surprised. I looked at flying TG to LHR in July this year, cheapest flight 999 GBP return.:o

No thanks

Thats only 46,000 baht, thats not expensive for a direct flight especially in July when its school holidays.

I would rather say, not very expensive.

No thanks

In economy! ermm.gif

The number of Thai apologists on this thread is astonishing!....get over yourselves!!

Any worse than the EVA defenders ? I know they fly direct but I resent having to bring my own food as I have never found theirs to be edible.

Any worse than the EVA defenders ? I know they fly direct but I resent having to bring my own food as I have never found theirs to be edible.

Certainly not. I agree on the EVA food not being great....although I didn't starve on the flights. Neither are great airlines really. In fact I prefer Qatar Etihad or Emirates to either of those even with the stop over. Far better service.

Certainly not. I agree on the EVA food not being great....although I didn't starve on the flights. Neither are great airlines really. In fact I prefer Qatar Etihad or Emirates to either of those even with the stop over. Far better service.

Smokie I agree 100%, even putting up with the Doha shuffle doesn't bother me either, service superb and as this is an AVOD thread I seem to recall last time I flew Qatar over 100 CD's available, found some great new bands I might not otherwise have heard, time to listen, weren't going nowhere so to speak :D

Smokie I agree 100%, even putting up with the Doha shuffle doesn't bother me either, service superb and as this is an AVOD thread I seem to recall last time I flew Qatar over 100 CD's available, found some great new bands I might not otherwise have heard, time to listen, weren't going nowhere so to speak :D

Its amazing given the relative high price of Thai that some people don't consider these airlines. I'll be flying Qatar biz class next month and for only £400 more than an economy flight with Thai would have cost.

Nice big lie flat seat proper AVOD, better food, champagne, decent wine, shower at Doha and arrive nice and fresh after a few hours sleep on the way to Bangkok. biggrin.gif

Nice big lie flat seat

Except QR is not flat. It's one of those almost flat seats that u slip down towards the floor.

Emirates business is the way to go for decent seating in a Middle Eastern Carrier.

Its fully flat on the 777ER from Doha to Bangkok. biggrin.gif

Edit: Emirates first class is great but the biz class lounge at Dubai is too overcrowded for my liking. Not bad though overall.

Edited by smokie36

Nice big lie flat seat

Except QR is not flat. It's one of those almost flat seats that u slip down towards the floor.

Emirates business is the way to go for decent seating in a Middle Eastern Carrier.

7 abreast on 777 and not lie flat on the older ones. The big problem with Emirates is the total lack of consistency across its fleet. Get an A380 or refitted 777 and not too bad, get an older 777 and crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I'm looking at flights from LHR to Bkk in January. I noticed this thread and was pleased to see that Thai have at last fitted AVOD into economy class. I looked at their UK website to see the confirmation of this as mentioned by OP, but cannot see it confirmed anywhere. How do we know this is definitely happening during December ?

Hi. I'm looking at flights from LHR to Bkk in January. I noticed this thread and was pleased to see that Thai have at last fitted AVOD into economy class. I looked at their UK website to see the confirmation of this as mentioned by OP, but cannot see it confirmed anywhere. How do we know this is definitely happening during December ?

This is Thailand. Confirmation ? :whistling:

Even if they had been fitted it would not surprise me to hear the flight attendant say "....yes sir we have them fitted now but we are still waiting for the headphones."

If its a case of flying/not flying Thai depending on a working AVOD I'd be looking at another airline.

It's on their international webpage.

Fly Thai Air 4 to 5 times a year and pay £550 to £570 and get great service.

Where do you get that price? They seem to be more in the region of 700 to 800 when I search?

Was going to ask the same question myself. Must be a wing seat :rolleyes:

Where do you get that price? They seem to be more in the region of 700 to 800 when I search?

It will be a up to 30 days return at those prices for tourists on the VOA usually on a flight hotel package. Anything over 30 days will be 700 pound plus. A 2hr stop in the 'sand pit' or Mumbai/Delhi will save you 200 pounds.

It will be a up to 30 days return at those prices for tourists on the VOA usually on a flight hotel package. Anything over 30 days will be 700 pound plus. A 2hr stop in the 'sand pit' or Mumbai/Delhi will save you 200 pounds.

Think you've got it. I can put up with the "hardships" of flying Qatar even without the financial bonus, which for my family = £600 or so we can spend on decent hotels etc.