UNESCO grants full membership to Palestine

News_Editor

UNESCO grants full membership to Palestine

2011-10-31 21:27:37 GMT+7 (ICT)

PARIS (BNO NEWS) -- The United Nations cultural agency UNESCO on Monday voted to grant full membership to Palestine despite strong objections from Israel and the United States.

Palestine is currently an observer at UNESCO but a group of Arab states previously submitted a recommendation to the organization's executive committee to request full membership. The proposal received 107 votes in favor of admission, 14 votes against and 52 abstentions.

Admission to UNESCO for states which are not members of the United Nations requires a recommendation by the organization's executive committee and a two thirds majority vote in favor by member states. Abstentions are not considered to be votes, and no member has veto powers.

Among the countries which voted against admission were Israel, the United States, Canada, the Netherlands, Australia and Germany. Brazil, Russia, China, India, South Africa and France were among the countries which voted in favor while the United Kingdom, Italy and Japan were among those who abstained.

Before Palestine will become a full member, it must sign and ratify UNESCO's constitution which is open for signature in the archives of the British government in London. Upon signature, Palestine will become UNESCO's 195th member state.

The vote was strongly condemned by Israel which rejected the decision. "This is a unilateral Palestinian maneuver which will bring no change on the ground but further removes the possibility for a peace agreement," a spokesperson for the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.

The spokesperson added: "This decision will not turn the Palestinian Authority into an actual state yet places unnecessary burdens on the route to renewing negotiations. Israel believes that the correct and only way to make progress in the diplomatic process with the Palestinians is through direct negotiations without preconditions."

The Israeli government thanked the 14 countries which it said "displayed a sense of responsibility" and opposed UNESCO's decision. "It is disappointing that the European Union, which is working to renew the direct negotiations and opposes the Palestinian move, could not reach a unified position to prevent this decision," the spokesperson said.

The U.S. government, which has repeatedly pressed for a two-state resolution, is expected to cut funding to UNESCO as a result of Monday's decision. A U.S. law passed in the 1990s allows Washington to cut funding to any UN agency which admits Palestine as a full member.

A senior Palestinian official told the German news agency dpa that it sees the vote as a 'very significant victory.' "This a triumph of the human spirit in the face of intimidation and coercion," Hanan Ashrawi, a senior member of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), told dpa.

Ashrawi added: "There are countries that vote on the basis of principle. I think this is very significant because it sends a clear message that there is a sizeable majority in the world that doesn't want to victimize the Palestinians and exclude them from the community of nations."

The move to admit Palestine to UNESCO is part of a broader campaign by Palestine to get recognition as a state by the United Nations. On September 23, Palestine filed a request for a full UN membership even though the United States is likely to veto this.

About 120 out of 193 countries have currently recognized the State of Palestine and those are seen as possible supporters if the UN General Assembly votes on the issue. If the UN Security Council resolution to recognize Palestine is approved, Palestine would become the 194th member of the United Nations.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-10-31

" strong objections from Israel and the United States. "

I could understand perhaps a strong objection from Israel but an ordinary objection

from United States would have at least appeared to be more " diplomatic " :whistling:

" strong objections from Israel and the United States. "

I could understand perhaps a strong objection from Israel but an ordinary objection

from United States would have at least appeared to be more " diplomatic " :whistling:

The US is cutting off their funding for UNESCO (22% of total) because of this so their objection is gonna get stronger

Be interesting to see the whole list of who voted which way but I can't find it

I'd just like to say that as an American I am totally and completely ashamed of my government. That is all.

I agree but it is not the 1st time.

Also we should remember that while it is supposed to be our

government of the people, by the people, for the people....

It has long since become something that first serves special interest & lobbyist.

Hopefully We The People can reign it in. If not then we may have to decide.

Edited by flying

Under Congressional legislation, the United States is mandated to withdraw from any U.N. agency that accepts Palestine as a full member state in the absence of a peace treaty with Israel as mandated by agreements that they have signed.

A Unilateral Declaration of Independence by the Palestinians violates all of their international agreements that require that disputes be resolved through direct negotiations, not third parties including the Declaration of Principles from 1993 that formalized the direct Israeli-Palestinian peace process. The Oslo Interim Agreements of 1995 expressly prohibits (in Article 31), unilateral action by either side to change the status of the West Bank and Gaza prior to reaching a negotiated permanent status agreement.

The Palestinians have agreed many times to negotiate, but they reject every peace deal and continue to call for the destruction of Israel. Cutting off UNESCO funding is the appropriate thing to do.

Not as an impressive victory as some are making it out to be. If countries were really supportive of the arab quest for another membership, they would have voted yes. Of the 173 countries able to vote, 52 abstained and 12 didn't even show up to vote. Switzerland abstained and its comments were telling, " If Switzerland abstained in the voting, it's because it believes that this debate should not be held in the context of an organisation whose role is a technical one, such as Unesco," said a statement put out by Rodolphe Imhoof, Swiss permanent delegate to Unesco in Paris."Rather, it is up to the political organs of the UN to consider the question," he added.

Of the 14 voting against, the USA Israel and Canada were expected. However, the Netherlands, Germany and Sweden also voted against. These three countries have been tough on Israel during the recent peace negotiations and wrangling. Their decision shows a focus on the big picture and more backbone than France which switched its no to yes and the UK, which in an effort to protect its arab investments and peace at home abstained. The countries that voted no and abstained are the ones that have paid their dues and supported the scientific goals of UNESCO. This was more about political strategies as opposed to either caring about the palestinian arabs or of promoting UNESCO's goals. To date, the PLA and Hamas have hardly complied with the tenets of the UNESCO charter let alone attempted to promote the ideals.

The positive aspect of the US position is that it might make a dent in the corrupt wasteful bloat at UNESCO. Maybe UNESCO might layoff a few of the top heavy 6 figured salaried bureaucrats that owe their jobs to the usual "inclusionary" hiring practices UN organizations are known for.

107-14.

The world has spoken.

:clap2:

Not as an impressive victory as some are making it out to be.

:lol:

You ignored the abstentions.. When 52 abstain and 12 don't even show up for the vote it speaks volumes. I suggest you look at which countries provide the funding. For some strange reason it was those countries that either voted no or abstained. There is a cost to politicking and UNESCO is about to pay it, not that most member countries care since they do not support the organization through contributions.

107-14.

The world has spoken.

You ignored the abstentions.. When 52 abstain and 12 don't even show up for the vote it speaks volumes. I suggest you look at which countries provide the funding. For some strange reason it was those countries that either voted no or abstained. There is a cost to politicking and UNESCO is about to pay it, not that most member countries care since they do not support the organization through contributions.

That's an odd way of considering things.

If 52 abstain you consider it speaks volumes.

How loud is volume for the number of nations that voted in the affirmative? Or does that not matter.

I think what speaks volumes is that the majority of the world voted in the affirmative and the majority of the world recognise Palestine and want them in the UN. THAT speaks volumes.

And if you really want to crank up the volume just consider that those nations that voted in the affirmative did so even with the US threats to pull out aid.

Considering all that I really don't think your volume is enough to be heard.

Edited by Wallaby

107-14.

The world has spoken.

You ignored the abstentions.. When 52 abstain and 12 don't even show up for the vote it speaks volumes.

So I'm ignoring the 52 abstentions but you're not ignoring the 107 votes in favor? :whistling:

If these 52 countries truly didn't support membership and wanted to 'speak volumes' why didn't they simply vote against it? In my opinion if these 52 votes speak to anything, it's that these nations weren't able to vote their conscience and bowed to various types of pressure. :(

Edited by up-country_sinclair