Suvarnabhumi Airport Ready For Floods

webfact

AIRPORTS

Suvarnabhumi Airport ready for floods

The Nation

30168946-01.jpg

Suvarnabhumi Airport places high confidence in its flood-prevention scheme, with the 3.5-metre-high and 37-metre wide earthern dyke and sheet piles to slow the currents as well as other preventive measures.

Airports of Thailand Senior Executive Vice President Somchai Sawasdeepon said that the airport also has a team of officers to monitor water levels at six flood gates including Lat Krabang, Saen Saeb and Samrong. Airlines operating at the airport are notified of water level every three hours, to ensure smooth aviation operations in Thailand despite the flooding in Don Mueang Airport.

Yesterday, the airport accommodated 945 flights, a new daily record since the opening.

Somchai yesterday briefed Japanese experts, brought in by Japan International Credit Agency which funded the airport’s construction, on the preparation steps. JICA’s experts were informed about the airport’s cooperation with all related agencies like the Highways Department and the Royal Irrigation Department.

The team of Japanese experts also received a briefing from the Flood Relief Operations Centre as well as Bangkok Metro Plc, the subway operator.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-01

now they have as well all domestic flights transfered from the closed down dm.

some airlines are putting extra airplanes for people leaving bkk (mostly domestic flights) - that's why record day,

Edited by londonthai

People who live around Suvarnabhumi, get ready to pack your things! This government has promised many things and look how they all turned out: Rojana, Navanakhorn, Bang Pa-in, Don Meuang... The list goes on! Now they are ready to gamble away one of their most important national asset... As for me, I have no whatsoever confidence in anything (or crap, in this case) they have to say. More they promise that something or some place is safe, more I would think it's the next place that will go down...

Put some capable people to manage this crisis already.... People beg you....

That's not a seagull ....... may be a vulture.

No, no it's actually an " Ooselum " bird, which like the current government flies round in ever decreasing circles till it vanishes inside its self via its rectum whistling.gif

I FLEW OUT YESTERDAY AND THERE WAS NOT A DROP OF WATER ANYWHERE

I flew out yesterday and there was water everywhere for miles. Not near the airport, but northern Bangkok, Nonthaburi and for as far as the eye could see was a mass of water akin to looking down at the ocean. Dry areas were at a premium. It was an incredible sight.

I think we are all ready for floods - but they never seem to happen here in Bangkok - just the daily 'The end is nigh' posts on the forums and papers - yet all is dry and the city has evacuated - god knows why they evacuate bangkok just because it might flood a meter of water - wouldnt staying home looking after your belongings make more sense? its not like its a lava flow or anything... something smells like Taksinomics...

People who live around Suvarnabhumi, get ready to pack your things! This government has promised many things and look how they all turned out: Rojana, Navanakhorn, Bang Pa-in, Don Meuang... The list goes on! Now they are ready to gamble away one of their most important national asset... As for me, I have no whatsoever confidence in anything (or crap, in this case) they have to say. More they promise that something or some place is safe, more I would think it's the next place that will go down...

Put some capable people to manage this crisis already.... People beg you....

has the airport being runnig like from thursday till now cos im waiting on a package to the UK and just want to know if airport is and has being running?