Extending Visa From Hospital

A friend of mine is in hospital and I'd like to know if it's possible for me to go to immigration for him and extend his visa? Perhaps bringing a note from the doctor or something. He's on a 60 day tourist visa.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

For people being unable to travel there are extension availeble. First check if the hospital has contacts with immigration. Many international hospitals have and can take care of the extension for him.

Officially one has to apply in person, but I suspect that immigration will allow it, but make sure he sings all the paperwork (including copy of passport and visa pages, and copy of TM-card, every single page. Also take a note from the doctor confirming he is unable to travel and how long that should take.

A normal extension on a 60 day tourist visum is 30 days, but in case of medical need it can be exteded to 90 days at a time.

Somebody else can do the extension when he is in the possession of medical certificate from the hospital.

This has to be the official stamped medical certificate which should mention that the patient is not able to travel or go to the immigration office.

Also the medical certificate has to be very clear about the duration that he can not travel and the date of his next treatment.

A generic statement from the hospital is normally not accepted.

The extension will be normally granted until the date of the next treatment.

If further treatment is required after that date and he is still not able to travel a second extension is possible with a new medical certificate until he is able to travel again.

But is a good idea to check this with your local immigration first as not all immigration offices handle this in the same way.