Nazi Ss Motorcycle Helmets.

ScubaBuddha

On three separate occasions during the last year or so I have seen farangs in Phuket wearing WWII helmets with either the Nazi swastika and/or the "SS" symbol. One even had the Nazi coat of arms, or Reichsadler on the front. Seeing a Thai biker wearing a WWII helmet with swastika is not uncommon in Thailand. For some reason I find that less surprising. Swastika tattoos are popular with Thai's. These are certainly not neo-Nazi's but rather just Thai's that like the Buddhist symbol which predates Nazi Germany by hundreds of years. These helmets I see farang wearing are not WWII era, but rather purpose built replicas. I just can't think of a reason someone who fully understands the meanings and associations would be motivated to wear these around in public. To me wearing the military garb of a regime responsible for the systematic extermination of jews, gypsys, homosexuals, handicapped, mentally ill, and political dissidents tells me that they are either ignorant, immature, an insensitive asshol_e, or a white supremacist neo-Nazi. :unsure:

Capture3.jpg

Capture1-1.jpg

10_d8708175872177dabcbc73e662235c80.jpg

I disagree with you about Thais wearing Nazi swastikas. They aren't usually so ignorant as you assert. Most may not be up on history or ideological per se, but they know full well what is a Nazi symbol and what is an Asian religious symbol. In other words, they know the difference. Many of them also know it riles some westerners to wear Nazi symbols, often as fashion, and that's part of the fun.

Edited by Jingthing

Does not surprise me. There are lots of idiots and retarded farangs in LOS. But jing is right, many Thais know the meaning too and think its cool. And many farang don't know about things that happend in Asia during WWII. No problem for me.

Many are too young to remember WW2, but they remember Bikie movies from the 60s , 70s and later where there was always riders wearing these helmets and Viking ones. lol

Its a stereotype the like to subscribe to.

Many are too young to remember WW2, but they remember Bikie movies from the 60s , 70s and later where there was always riders wearing these helmets and Viking ones. lol

Its a stereotype the like to subscribe to.

The farangs which I have seen wearing them are in their 40's and 50's.

As for the Thai riders, I wouldn't read more into it than what it's worth. I think they are trying to emulate the "old school" American riders like in the old films. You have to remember that the "biker clubs" such as the Boozefighters which was the protogenitor for the Hells Angels were made up of veterans after WWII. These guys had the Nazi stuff because they fought there and brought back war trophies. This wasn't 'pro nazi' necessarily, it was "hey I fought in WWII in here are my trophies." After the WWII generation, the bikers kept it and it became a counter culture thing since Nazis are associated with everything evil. In the states I still see bikers with the "SS" lightning bolts and stuff.

Yes, the Thais know the difference between the Buddhist symbol and a Nazi Swastika (since the Nazi one is backwards). But the entire Nazi thing doesn't have the same stigma as it does elsewhere in the world. Thailand was technically allied with the Axis and Hitler in WWII. The Nazis did have a sense of flair with their uniforms and their panzerfaust-sturmgewehr-naming-macht-schnell-mit-dem-kugelschreiber-manner.

As for the falang, I don't know where in the world they are from, and kinda thinking they may be from der fatherland. I had a nice long conversation with a gypsy taxi driver in Vienna Austria, and had a chance to run in with the Austrian police (who wanted to deport me). I have a feeling if the Teutonics could get away with opening up concentration camps again they would do it.

Edited by submaniac

For Thais, I believe its just simple ignorance. Its not taught in schools here as an important part of history. In the west, Nazi-ism is demonized from our early lessons (with good reason), but its not done here. And maybe justifiably so - given that Thailand was only really directly involved with the Japanese side of the War (and would probably rather forget that involvement), I can see why the European theatre of the war is not particularly focused on in schools, even though it is an extemely significant event for most countries of the west.

Personally, I will give the average Thai a "pass" on this. I'm pretty sure its not out of spite, or malice, or hatred for some particular race or people. If it was a family member or a friend, I would talk to them about it, but otherwise, I just write this one off as locals being unaware of the stigma this carries in the west. After all, we're not in Kansas any more, Toto.

Not my cup of tea for sure, but freedom of speech and freedom of expression has to apply across the board. The alternative is far worse than people riding around with silly stickers on their crash helmet. Just ignore it.

Does it really matter? You have one opinion and others have their own.

Pardon me for seeking to understand others opinions which seem inexplicable to me. The Holocaust is not an "opinion". (Unless you are Ahmadinejad) To me they are saying the genocide, if applied properly, is a good thing. I don't know, perhaps the fact that I have relatives with numbers stamped on their arms has clouded my judgment. My apologies.

So you are defending their actions. Tell me, do you wear Nazi paraphernalia? If so, why?

Not my cup of tea for sure, but freedom of speech and freedom of expression has to apply across the board.

I completely agree. I don't wish to censor it, I wish to understand it. I have to wonder what motivates them. (them being presumably knowledgeable and at least semi-educated farangs) If they are actual Neo-Nazi's/white supremacists that have been filled with hate since they were old enough to understand anything, then I understand and can accept that. Anyone can be convinced of anything and ignorance and intolerance is the answer. Plenty of those back in the states and elsewhere. It's their right. (Well, unless they are in one of the many countries in which it is illegal) If it's something else...shock value, attention seeking...then that is harder to understand.

I've always thought there was a link between some well known bike gangs and the white supremacy movement. Not sure how tenuous the link is but I'm guessing this is behind the helmets.

No doubt there are connections, and strong ones. That would definitely explain it.

14Elite14patch.jpg

http://formerskinhead.blogspot.com/2010/07/neo-nazi-skinheads-and-outlaw.html

http://www.adl.org/main_Extremism/bigots_on_bikes.htm

But I don't think that is the case with these guys. One guy I saw with the Nazi coat of arms lives in Kata. I have seen him around a few times. He appears to be a friend of a friend of a friend. He rides a Honda Click.. :blink: I am pretty sure he does not have ties to white supremacist motorcycle gangs, but I guess it's possible. If I knew his name I would ask my friend, but I don't. Another guy I saw in Patong was on a 200cc Phantom. No colors flying or club patches, just the helmet with swastika.

My question is do these guys just think it's cute, just "having a laugh" or do they actually believe they belong to a superior race? :whistling:

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I'm positive the Thais are ignorant of what the Nazi (reversed) swastika means.

I say this because although I was born in the US, I look Japanese.

Even with the internet and television, not one Thai person I've met in 2 years here can comprehend that I'm an American.

I explain the concept of how the US is a country of all nationalities and their eyes glaze over.

They just say "but you look Japanese".

My friends with Thai girlfriends have all told me they have no knowledge that the Japanese did bad things during something called World War 2.

They simply have a hard time believing the Japanese were ever bad because they love Honda, Oishi, and Sony so much.

Look at the selection of Thai literature in the few book stores and you'll get an idea of how much knowledge exists here.

Unless a Thai can read English, they have no clue how things work or what happens outside the country.

If the Thais aren't taught about what happened in Asia, you know they aren't going to be taught about European history.

I'm sure many Thais see the swastika as a cool looking symbol similar to a Christian cross.

They don't know what the symbol means, but they see it often and think it must be OK.

Now regarding the Farangs, they're ignorant or complete idiots.

How can one be a white supremacist and live in a land of Asians?

The picture of the Thai guy in the Op is wearing the helmet with the old asian symbol. Look closely. It is referred to as 'anti-clockwise' I believe. This was around a long time before the Nazi's adopted the 'clockwise' symbol.

Are you sure the Reichsadler is part of an "old asian symbol"? Clockwise or anti-clockwise, imo it is a Nazi symbol if worn like this on a soldier helmet.

Does it really matter? You have one opinion and others have their own.

Pardon me for seeking to understand others opinions which seem inexplicable to me. The Holocaust is not an "opinion". (Unless you are Ahmadinejad) To me they are saying the genocide, if applied properly, is a good thing. I don't know, perhaps the fact that I have relatives with numbers stamped on their arms has clouded my judgment. My apologies.

So you are defending their actions. Tell me, do you wear Nazi paraphernalia? If so, why?

Not my cup of tea for sure, but freedom of speech and freedom of expression has to apply across the board.

I completely agree. I don't wish to censor it, I wish to understand it. I have to wonder what motivates them. (them being presumably knowledgeable and at least semi-educated farangs) If they are actual Neo-Nazi's/white supremacists that have been filled with hate since they were old enough to understand anything, then I understand and can accept that. Anyone can be convinced of anything and ignorance and intolerance is the answer. Plenty of those back in the states and elsewhere. It's their right. (Well, unless they are in one of the many countries in which it is illegal) If it's something else...shock value, attention seeking...then that is harder to understand.

Well my opinion is that Hitler's nanny should have drowned the bar-sted at birth. But I guess, like a lot of other people, she didn't know what he would turn out like.

'The Holocaust is not an "opinion".' Don't know how we got to the Holocaust....because it is fact not an opinion. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my opinion statement!

World War 2 ended over 65 years ago. A great tragedy.

My father's and mother's family lost men during the conflict. Until the day they died there was an underlying hatred of German people in my family - some would say with reason.

Do I wish to continue this tradition - no. Hate begets Hate.

If you lost family to the Mongol invasion, would you carry a grudge ???

Move on.

I wish to understand it. I have to wonder what motivates them.

I'll explain it to you then:

That ole replica is the only helmet that stays on your head without a rope tied under your chin up to 100 km/h

Try it out ;)

Edited by poanoi

It's kind of like those wearing a leather waistcoat with a 'Prospect' patch on the back. Just rather sad and to be pitied.

"Leather Waistcoat" hahah, your a cracker RC. You'll have to excuse me if I don't take you seriously...thumbsup.gif

My question is do these guys just think it's cute, just "having a laugh" or do they actually believe they belong to a superior race? :whistling:

Quickest way to get the truth is go ask them that question yourself.

I would but they are always riding when I see them. And if I am able to I will post the response here.

World War 2 ended over 65 years ago. A great tragedy.

My father's and mother's family lost men during the conflict. Until the day they died there was an underlying hatred of German people in my family - some would say with reason.

Do I wish to continue this tradition - no. Hate begets Hate.

If you lost family to the Mongol invasion, would you carry a grudge ???

Move on.

No grudge here. I'm just curious. Actually my ancestry is mostly German. Now I have Jewish inlaws. But none of that makes any difference. My question as to why people that aren't neo-Nazi's or white supremacists would wear these is valid and while some interesting possibilities have been presented, still unanswered. I would think most people would wonder the same thing.

My question as to why people that aren't neo-Nazi's or white supremacists would wear these is valid and while some interesting possibilities have been presented, still unanswered. I would think most people would wonder the same thing.

I believe that most of these people are no Nazi's or racists or something like this.

Most will simply find it an interesting alternative to the other cheap available helmets here. And maybe these replicas of M35 Wehrmacht helmets are not bad for driving. So the question is, why do they not remove the symbols from the helmets? Maybe some think it is more "original" and better looking with these stickers. Maybe some first want to remove the stickers and then notice that nobody cares about it. And sure there are a few people who like the provocation. But most of these people will not do it because they are Nazi's.

Why are expats (and of course tourists) doing things they would not do in their homecountry? Because here they can do it. It does not matter what to do or if it makes sense at all. Its part of the search for freedom, i guess.

It's a statement used by the simple minded to Pis* everyone off, and designed to upset previous generations,most people in the world find the Swastika a symbol of pure Evil,and a gross insult to the millions that died in that era

the same as removing the baffles of Motorcyles,or other means to make as much ear splitting noise as possible,to get themselves (the thickos,with no thought for others) noticed by any means,available.

Edited by MAJIC

It's a statement used by the simple minded to Pis* everyone off, and designed to upset previous generations,most people in the world find the Swastika a symbol of pure Evil,and a gross insult to the millions that died in that era

the same as removing the baffles of Motorcyles,or other means to make as much ear splitting noise as possible,to get themselves (the thickos,with no thought for others) noticed by any means,available.

I believe "hello Kitty" plate frame on a Ninja bike attracts more positive attraction than using Nazi symbols

I have noticed the farange using Nazi helmets too, and assume they are Nazi sympathizers living on peanutmoney here in Paradise

The various Nazi symbols were first used as a way to "Piss off the Citizens" as it were by 1% clubs in the sixties.

They were worn with the full knowledge that it would make them stand out from the majority of society - to show that they were different.

Now - I think it is just a fashion thing. In poor taste for sure. But if you can not be yourself - to do your own thing, then of course adopt something else to make you stand out.