Whole Bangkok At Risk Of Flooding After Opening Of Key Sluice Gate

webfact

Well, you have an answer, it is just that I can't seem to find anyone else giving something that matches it. Not to say that you are wrong, but is the total maximum drainage daily in Bangkok 1mn qm? I don't know, but since it appears that nobody from the govt wants to countenance the idea, I haven't heard anyone else really discuss, how long it "should" take to get Bangkok back from being wet to dry give or take a day or so. If letting it go significantly shortens the whole mess, I think they should seriously think about it.

Sadly, will anything be achieved if it trickles slowly into unflooded areas in 2 weeks time anyway? and it takes longer to get rid of than it should?

Klong Mahasawat, a major canal, is still flooding large areas http://hermes.traffy.in.th/i/showpics.php?cctvid=635

I lived there when there was the big flood. When you watch that Klong you can see the current moving into the country-side when the high tides build up. I can't imagine that Bangkok wide. It would be going back and forth like this for a long time.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FROC Announcement Assures Safety of Research Nuclear Reactor

At 2.10 PM, the Flood Relief Operations Center (FROC) held a press conference to assure the safety from flooding from a research nuclear reactor facility at the Office of Atomic Energy for Peace, located on the flooded Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road.

The reactor is housed on the third story of a small building which is 1.2 meters above the street level. Sandbag barricades and water pumps have been put up and so far the building has not seen flooding yet.

The reactor itself is located inside a pool that is 8.7 meters from the street level. The pool is 8 meters long and has 2.4 cubic meters of water. The walls of the pool is made of concrete that is 1 meter thick on each side so it should easily withstand pressure of 1-2 tons of water.

The reactor has been shut down since late October due to the fact that nuclear material cannot be transported to the facility.

Officials assured they are closely monitoring the reactor but they are confident the flood situation will not cause any nuclear material leak.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-02

footer_n.gif

Nobody raised this as an issue, and FROC has zero credibility, so didn't they just keep their mouths shut? FROC is just a giant PR disaster.

As far as my research goes, there IS NO PLAN AND NO SCENARIO for such an event of 12 Mio. People getting flooded at nearly the same time. Which doesnt even include the other areas outside of Bangkok.! Very soon the rapid increase of patients suffering of diarea, dengue, hong kong foot and multiple flood related disease will mount ! Instead gettng started to face these livethreatening problems, witch soon will have to catch all attention, the government is tying to save the inner zones, witch, by my opinion CANNOT be saved. Tough desitions will have to be made NOW! But as usual here, nobody wants the burden of responsiblity on ones shoulders.

Yesterday I visited the evacuation camp at the stadium. There's one building turned into a field hospital now. The number of patients seem to go up fast there. There are mothers with infants, the youngest 12 days etc.. Over 2000 evacuees.

A win for the poor.

This should be the way to fight double standard.

Why should bangkok be kept dry? Do bangkok people pay special tax for this privilege?

Oh now I get it thanks.. so on the "OTHER" side of that gate there are NO poor people... well good to know.. thanks

Poor people or not, all I am asking is to allow people outside Bangkok to have a better chance of survival.

Of the 400+ death, less than 10 is in Bangkok.

After all, we are all human.

A win for the poor.

Why should bangkok be kept dry? Do bangkok people pay special tax for this privilege?

Bangkok should be kept dry for reasons of importance not flooded for being equal with the rest.

has it occurs to anyone at all that poor farmers are people too, just just bangkokians.

Some Bangkokneys might say" But buffaloes can swim"

It is not about the people it's about a location which should be kept dry

Poor people or not, all I am asking is to allow people outside Bangkok to have a better chance of survival.

So not enough people from Bangkok are dying? :angry:

cant help thinking that all this water making the ground soggy and this supports all those mega buildings in BKK

its a fact that BKK is sinking and maybe this might speed things up

people will be shocked when they find out their insurance probably wont cover anything

good luck all

I was not sure if what I wished to say would be relevant on this thread, but bearing in mind the above post here goes.

Do we have any 'qualified' civil engineers on tvf? If Bangkok were to be flooded to, say, one metre (just for a figure) would that create any potential problems for the structural safety of all the very high-rise buildings? I would expect that someone in authority has already looked at/is looking at that particular scenario.

My wife and I live in Pattaya and it is right to say that we cannot even begin to appreciate, let alone understand, the suffering and misery that this tragic event has caused people. I have heard various expats here (and a few Thais) who are far from enamoured that their local superstores are running low/out of their favourite products and that traffic congestion has increased due to the influx of those wanting to escape the ravages of up north. It saddens me that a miniscule number of Pattaya people can find nothing better to do than moan about a minor inconvenience compared to the tragedy farther afield.

Having read the majority of threads/posts concerning this disaster I can understand contributors raising the various political questions and attempting to place blame here, there and everywhere. I have only lived (retired) here since 2007 so I do not intend to enter into the political debate concerning matters I do not pretend to understand.

What have we done to help those affected? Well, not a great deal really save for donating clothes (all our surplus has now gone) and the occasional items of basic food/toiletry items which a local Thai friend/businessman who works in Bangkok has been delivering. Clearly with the current flooding situation apparently not improving it is about time we did more. On that basis I extend an invitation to anyone wanting to come here until their home situation improves. No charge or remuneration is required or asked for. All I would say is provide your own food and there is still plenty available locally. For anyone interested out property is one the east side of Sukhumvit Road off Soi Khow Noi in a Thai enclave cul-de-sac with only a handfull of farangs. It is a two up and one down old terraced property (30 years) - cosy without being too small - not the Hilton or even approaching 5* luxury as far as the fixtures/fittings are concerned but our welcome and sincerity is 5*. We do not have our own transport but there are motorcycle taxis into Pattaya (ten minutes away) at 40baht per person per one way - there are also local open taxis but I do not know how often they pass the end of our soi. Please feel free to send me a personal message if interested.

I should have mentioned that I am a UK expat and my wife is Thai. We have an extended Thai family living within a five miles radius with non-UK husbands - not that nationnality should make any difference as the invitation is open to all.

God bless all those who are surrering/may suffer from this disaster and I hope there will be no more loss of life - buildings can be replaced but loved ones cannot.

Lest anyone reading this forgets - any 'qualified' civil engineers can answer my initial point. Thank you.

I'm not a civil engineer but talked to one who know the scene in Bangkok. The newer buildings, lets say from the last 15 years are over safety standards. The piles go deep into the ground to the max. Not sure I think it was 32 m, after that the piles would fold and have no longer effect. It will affect the older buildings and the roads badly though. They will be hollowed and than crack and break when the hot season comes.

Thank you for the courtesy of your informed reply.

The whole city - ordinary people and businesses alike are sitting around waiting for some clarification from someone on when it will be over.

People can plan around approximate dates "by Dec 1 it will be back to normal" for example. What they can't do is guess based on mixed messages. They can but won't.

Surely someone in authority can say if we take option A it will take xx weeks to finish and areas A, B and C will be flooded during this time. If we take option B it will take xxx weeks to finish and areas D, E, and F will be flooded during this time.

Will the real Slim SluiceGate please stand up!

Edited by bkkjames

Well, you have an answer, it is just that I can't seem to find anyone else giving something that matches it. Not to say that you are wrong, but is the total maximum drainage daily in Bangkok 1mn qm? I don't know, but since it appears that nobody from the govt wants to countenance the idea, I haven't heard anyone else really discuss, how long it "should" take to get Bangkok back from being wet to dry give or take a day or so. If letting it go significantly shortens the whole mess, I think they should seriously think about it.

Sadly, will anything be achieved if it trickles slowly into unflooded areas in 2 weeks time anyway? and it takes longer to get rid of than it should?

Klong Mahasawat, a major canal, is still flooding large areas http://hermes.traffy.in.th/i/showpics.php?cctvid=635

I lived there when there was the big flood. When you watch that Klong you can see the current moving into the country-side when the high tides build up. I can't imagine that Bangkok wide. It would be going back and forth like this for a long time.

"Long time" is the issue. For some, that is less than 6 minutes.

I am just curious whether downtown Bangkok be under water to prevent normal existence for a week, 2 weeks, a month? If it is a month, the discussion isn't worth having, but no one seems to have even the remotest accurate calculation.

The whole city - ordinary people and businesses alike are sitting around waiting for some clarification from someone on when it will be over.

People can plan around approximate dates "by Dec 1 it will be back to normal" for example. What they can't do is guess based on mixed messages. They can but won't.

Surely someone in authority can say if we take option A it will take xx weeks to finish and areas A, B and C will be flooded during this time. If we take option B it will take xxx weeks to finish and areas D, E, and F will be flooded during this time.

Will the real Slim SluiceGate please stand up!

I wish there was someone with some real dates, this makes it all a lot harder. For you guys its hard because you don't know what is coming or if its coming. I just want to know when its going. I have indications that its going (water levels dropping 1,5 cm per day for the last 2 days). But at that rate it would be over a month.

Nobody knows.. or nobody is talking and when they are talking they are all contradicting each other.

As far as my research goes, there IS NO PLAN AND NO SCENARIO for such an event of 12 Mio. People getting flooded at nearly the same time. Which doesnt even include the other areas outside of Bangkok.! Very soon the rapid increase of patients suffering of diarea, dengue, hong kong foot and multiple flood related disease will mount ! Instead gettng started to face these livethreatening problems, witch soon will have to catch all attention, the government is tying to save the inner zones, witch, by my opinion CANNOT be saved. Tough desitions will have to be made NOW! But as usual here, nobody wants the burden of responsiblity on ones shoulders.

Yesterday I visited the evacuation camp at the stadium. There's one building turned into a field hospital now. The number of patients seem to go up fast there. There are mothers with infants, the youngest 12 days etc.. Over 2000 evacuees.

Time to employ situation chain analysts like me. But already refused by Gov. 1month ago. Like ALL other foreign experts I know of. Not very much can be done now anymore as timeframes are already due. Good luck to all these arrogant FROCs guys. Now they can show their skils.

Klong Mahasawat, a major canal, is still flooding large areas http://hermes.traffy....php?cctvid=635

I am just curious whether downtown Bangkok be under water to prevent normal existence for a week, 2 weeks, a month? If it is a month, the discussion isn't worth having, but no one seems to have even the remotest accurate calculation.

I"m certain that it would be much longer than 1 month.

When Yingluck was talking about opening the flood gates and flooding Bangkok to a metre a couple of weeks ago, she said that it would take a month for the flood waters to recede.

So that would mean it could be anything from a week to 3 months.

Klong Mahasawat, a major canal, is still flooding large areas http://hermes.traffy....php?cctvid=635

I"m certain that it would be much longer than 1 month.

Ok, I'll throw that one out to the floor. Any other expert opinions?

A win for the poor.

Oh now I get it thanks.. so on the "OTHER" side of that gate there are NO poor people... well good to know.. thanks

Then why did your first post start with "a win for the poor" seems it does matter to you... learn all the facts before you start posting.

Edited by YellowFeverCAD

cant help thinking that all this water making the ground soggy and this supports all those mega buildings in BKK

its a fact that BKK is sinking and maybe this might speed things up

people will be shocked when they find out their insurance probably wont cover anything

good luck all

I was not sure if what I wished to say would be relevant on this thread, but bearing in mind the above post here goes.

Do we have any 'qualified' civil engineers on tvf? If Bangkok were to be flooded to, say, one metre (just for a figure) would that create any potential problems for the structural safety of all the very high-rise buildings? I would expect that someone in authority has already looked at/is looking at that particular scenario.

My wife and I live in Pattaya and it is right to say that we cannot even begin to appreciate, let alone understand, the suffering and misery that this tragic event has caused people. I have heard various expats here (and a few Thais) who are far from enamoured that their local superstores are running low/out of their favourite products and that traffic congestion has increased due to the influx of those wanting to escape the ravages of up north. It saddens me that a miniscule number of Pattaya people can find nothing better to do than moan about a minor inconvenience compared to the tragedy farther afield.

Having read the majority of threads/posts concerning this disaster I can understand contributors raising the various political questions and attempting to place blame here, there and everywhere. I have only lived (retired) here since 2007 so I do not intend to enter into the political debate concerning matters I do not pretend to understand.

What have we done to help those affected? Well, not a great deal really save for donating clothes (all our surplus has now gone) and the occasional items of basic food/toiletry items which a local Thai friend/businessman who works in Bangkok has been delivering. Clearly with the current flooding situation apparently not improving it is about time we did more. On that basis I extend an invitation to anyone wanting to come here until their home situation improves. No charge or remuneration is required or asked for. All I would say is provide your own food and there is still plenty available locally. For anyone interested out property is one the east side of Sukhumvit Road off Soi Khow Noi in a Thai enclave cul-de-sac with only a handfull of farangs. It is a two up and one down old terraced property (30 years) - cosy without being too small - not the Hilton or even approaching 5* luxury as far as the fixtures/fittings are concerned but our welcome and sincerity is 5*. We do not have our own transport but there are motorcycle taxis into Pattaya (ten minutes away) at 40baht per person per one way - there are also local open taxis but I do not know how often they pass the end of our soi. Please feel free to send me a personal message if interested.

I should have mentioned that I am a UK expat and my wife is Thai. We have an extended Thai family living within a five miles radius with non-UK husbands - not that nationnality should make any difference as the invitation is open to all.

God bless all those who are surrering/may suffer from this disaster and I hope there will be no more loss of life - buildings can be replaced but loved ones cannot.

Lest anyone reading this forgets - any 'qualified' civil engineers can answer my initial point. Thank you.

What a refreshing post. Chris, you have been living here for 4 years. I sincerely hope that over the next 40 years, you are still able to hang on to your positive outlook and not get drowned by the cynicism and negativity shown here by lots of the other posters (I think you know to whom I am referring).

p/s: on another point, don't you worry. TVF is full of "qualified armchair" experts on anything under the sun :)

Thank you Gweiloman for your kind words. I will continue to hang on to my positive outlook as to do otherwise may well have an adverse effect on my blood pressure. 40 years eh - that would put me at 104 and as I must now be well-past my sell by date I think I will leave cynicism and negativity to others more knowledgeable in the ways of Thailand than myself. I remember years ago hearing or reading to always avoid religion and politic in conversation - this I have done and will continue to do so. Any political thoughts I may have from living here such a short time will have no bearing whatsoever on what any government here will think or do. The dozen or so of my Thai family members living in Pattaya come from the North-East which I understand favours a certain coloured shirt. Having read and heard so much political vitriol from Thais and foreigners any political views I once held have swung from one coloured shirt extreme to the other and back again many times. Such mental fluctuations are not conducive to my having a 'restful' retirement here and therefore I will read/hear what people have to say on the political spectrum but immediately thereafter move on to more important facets of my life. I left the UK after a 30 years marriage to seek a cheaper and warmer climate in which to enjoy my remaining years - it was a good feeling to be here and leave all the political squabbling behind (where at least I had the opportunity to try and make a point through the ballot box) and to concentrate on the finer things retirement can bring. I will continue with this attitude and only hope that some posters (from both/all camps) may do the same and enjoy life to the full knowing any views they may hold will count for nothing and rightly so. Now off for a couple of 'cheap' Leos and to continue enjoying myself.

God bless all irrespective of their views on whatever threads to respond to.

When Yingluck was talking about opening the flood gates and flooding Bangkok to a metre a couple of weeks ago, she said that it would take a month for the flood waters to recede.

That is opening the gates, what also about intentionally breaking some of the water barriers, or would the damage be too catastrophic.(As though it could get any worse anyway) I am just curious as to whether there is a quicker way to get this dam_n water to the sea, prepare to protect the vital parts downtown as much as possible, open up absolutely every path to the sea, and get rid of it as quickly as possible.

There are some absolutely vital parts of Bangkok of course, but, if every non-essential person was moved out of the city, and it was intentionally flooded, there are also enormous amounts of residential areas very close and inside the downtown, unlike a lot of other large modern cities. These are areas that shouldn't necessarily be considered vital.

Would it speed up the whole process? From a month to two weeks or possibly less? I don't know, because there is no info. Much better surely to get people out of the area and get the water through than to let them slowly be engulfed.

what is starting to worry me is ... that announcement about blood shortages and call for blood donors.

I saw this also yesterday on another forum (another hospital).

THis is really another real indicator of the potential humanitarian disaster looming around a very densely populated area.

But of course .... none of those people living in the flooded areas that want bangkok flooded ever use the hospitals in Bangkok.

That is opening the gates, what also about intentionally breaking some of the water barriers, or would the damage be too catastrophic.(As though it could get any worse anyway) I am just curious as to whether there is a quicker way to get this dam_n water to the sea, prepare to protect the vital parts downtown as much as possible, open up absolutely every path to the sea, and get rid of it as quickly as possible.

There are some absolutely vital parts of Bangkok of course, but, if every non-essential person was moved out of the city, and it was intentionally flooded, there are also enormous amounts of residential areas very close and inside the downtown, unlike a lot of other large modern cities. These are areas that shouldn't necessarily be considered vital.

Would it speed up the whole process? From a month to two weeks or possibly less? I don't know, because there is no info. Much better surely to get people out of the area and get the water through than to let them slowly be engulfed.

what you drinking? may I have some?

what you are suggesting is impossible

Edited by rogerdee123

A win for the poor.

Bangkok should be kept dry for reasons of importance not flooded for being equal with the rest.

has it occurs to anyone at all that poor farmers are people too, just just bangkokians.

Some Bangkokneys might say" But buffaloes can swim"

...which, of course would be racist and idiotic, so we don't say it. Instead we say: yes, we know! So keep Bangkok in swing and working and don't flood it, otherwise these people will suffer even more and of course that is what nobody wants!

what you drinking? may I have some?

what you are suggesting is impossible

Well, Roger, as you posted up on another thread is a humanitarian catastrophe looming, so I prefer to investigate thing from a "where there is a will there is a way".

How many old, aged and young, and non-working could be moved out of the city and housed elsewhere by other Thai's? Millions, no doubt. How many areas of the city could be completely evacuated and housed by others? Millions. They do it every single year moving back home for Songkran, or ironically elections.

If it makes the whole thing quicker, asking people to evacuate their currently dry homes, condos and offices, to enable the whole process to be over and done with quicker, why is it impossible if people are given a week to get out? Instead of wasting time protecting areas that are going to be inundated anyway, why not focus on putting up better protection around the absolutely vital things in the downtown. By that I don't include Paragon for example by the way.

A win for the poor.

Don't any poor people live in Bangkok?

Some of the people in flooded areas still have jobs in Bangkok. Do you want them to lose their jobs too?

Also, given that very few Thai's pay tax, maybe the people in Bangkok DO pay a special tax for this privilege.

there are so many reasons why this is a bad idea.... i personally dont care if it floods, if it happens it happens. but these people only care about the social injustice they face because the city which provides most of them with jobs, and not to mention food and water, isnt flooded. we'll just see what happens when they start whining about starving or because their government compensation package shrinks because bkk needs to be bailed out too. honestly, if they act like that, they totally deserve it. it's the collectivist mentality, one monkey does it, and all the other monkeys see and follow....

Is it your deliberate attempt to incite division, or your simple lack of understanding of logoistics that anger me? :annoyed:

You state, "I personally don't care", and then write "if it happens it happens" - if you accept that then accept it without retribution.

But then you incite division with, (quote)"these people don't care about the injustice they face", be it social or not,"because the CITY which provides most of them with jobs..."

You believe that the 88million people of Thailand work in BKK Centre? Really?

Do you believe your following statements of "jobs, food and water come from BKK centre" for the 76million who live outside of it???

"If they act like that,they totally deserve it.".... who's they please? Those that don't live in BKK??? - INCITE FOR DIVISION!

"collective mentality like monkeys" outside of BKK is that?? - INCITE FOR DIVISION? {Have you memoirs of Lopburi when you wrote that???}

You 'assume' all food, water bla bla and taxes come from BKK. You are far from correct!

BKK is a little part of the infrastructure, as the likes of Honda and Toyota and their suppliers have demonstrated.

Stop making eager, incited, immature and vile discriminations between those who live in BKK and the rest of the country.

-m.:D

Well, Roger, as you posted up on another thread is a humanitarian catastrophe looming, so I prefer to investigate thing from a "where there is a will there is a way".

How many old, aged and young, and non-working could be moved out of the city and housed elsewhere by other Thai's? Millions, no doubt. How many areas of the city could be completely evacuated and housed by others? Millions. They do it every single year moving back home for Songkran, or ironically elections.

If it makes the whole thing quicker, asking people to evacuate their currently dry homes, condos and offices, to enable the whole process to be over and done with quicker, why is it impossible if people are given a week to get out? Instead of wasting time protecting areas that are going to be inundated anyway, why not focus on putting up better protection around the absolutely vital things in the downtown. By that I don't include Paragon for example by the way.

You are right. Perhaps I over-reacted Thai at Heart. A couple of weeks ago I even suggested the same thing myself here. You're right ... it's never too late. And it's probably still possible. Someone should be looking into this as a contingency.

Still ... I'm happy to share what I'm drinking if you'll share some of your's with me :drunk:

You are right. Perhaps I over-reacted Thai at Heart. A couple of weeks ago I even suggested the same thing myself here. You're right ... it's never too late. And it's probably still possible. Someone should be looking into this as a contingency.

Still ... I'm happy to share what I'm drinking if you'll share some of your's with me :drunk:

No problem.

I was watching Channel 3 a day or so ago, and there was that annoying little fat comedian and the newsreader on their nightly jaunt around town in the flood. They found a moobhan half the houses empty, with hundreds of people up to their knees in houses probably worth 10mn+ baht. Inside there was a whole extended family crammed inside with 300k of food, and supplies, 2 generators. They were evidently very wealthy. Even sadder, there was a very old bloke, upstairs surrounded by medical equipment they had bought. They had stocked 2000 litres of fuel in the house in jerry cans to run the generators should the electricity go off. Of course, now to move them in knee deep water is virtually impossible, but why should this ridiculous outcome be allowed again somewhere else in the city, when probably the FROC, govt or BMA know pretty much which bits will flood. But then, why let it flood slowly, if the concern is the people living there, then get them out of the way.

Beyond that, if it does work out quicker for everyone to let the water go through, why should old rich Somchai or farmer Somchai be forced to sit in his hospital bed in his multimillion house at home or waist deep in his house in the padis a day longer than necessary, just to save another set of people in moobhans further downstream? Plan to protect the offices, protect the vital stuff, get the people out and get the water out as quick as possible I say.

FROC Announcement Assures Safety of Research Nuclear Reactor

At 2.10 PM, the Flood Relief Operations Center (FROC) held a press conference to assure the safety from flooding from a research nuclear reactor facility at the Office of Atomic Energy for Peace, located on the flooded Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road.

The reactor is housed on the third story of a small building which is 1.2 meters above the street level. Sandbag barricades and water pumps have been put up and so far the building has not seen flooding yet.

The reactor itself is located inside a pool that is 8.7 meters from the street level. The pool is 8 meters long and has 2.4 cubic meters of water. The walls of the pool is made of concrete that is 1 meter thick on each side so it should easily withstand pressure of 1-2 tons of water.

The reactor has been shut down since late October due to the fact that nuclear material cannot be transported to the facility.

Officials assured they are closely monitoring the reactor but they are confident the flood situation will not cause any nuclear material leak.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-02

footer_n.gif

Nobody raised this as an issue, and FROC has zero credibility, so didn't they just keep their mouths shut? FROC is just a giant PR disaster.

True... anytime there's a FROC announcement, it's met with cringing.

I don't really think the people who wish for central BKK to be flooded to help relieve the current problem really understand the implications.

Bad move for everybody in the long term.

If it can be proven to speed up the path of the water to the sea, and there is time to prepare to protect what is absolutely vital, why?

Strewth, it isn't as though downtown Bangkok hasn't had to put up with various other issues paralysing it in the last few years.

No problem.

I was watching Channel 3 a day or so ago, and there was that annoying little fat comedian and the newsreader on their nightly jaunt around town in the flood. They found a moobhan half the houses empty, with hundreds of people up to their knees in houses probably worth 10mn+ baht. Inside there was a whole extended family crammed inside with 300k of food, and supplies, 2 generators. They were evidently very wealthy. Even sadder, there was a very old bloke, upstairs surrounded by medical equipment they had bought. They had stocked 2000 litres of fuel in the house in jerry cans to run the generators should the electricity go off. Of course, now to move them in knee deep water is virtually impossible, but why should this ridiculous outcome be allowed again somewhere else in the city, when probably the FROC, govt or BMA know pretty much which bits will flood. But then, why let it flood slowly, if the concern is the people living there, then get them out of the way.

Beyond that, if it does work out quicker for everyone to let the water go through, why should old rich Somchai or farmer Somchai be forced to sit in his hospital bed in his multimillion house at home or waist deep in his house in the padis a day longer than necessary, just to save another set of people in moobhans further downstream? Plan to protect the offices, protect the vital stuff, get the people out and get the water out as quick as possible I say.

Yeah I'd probably vote for that if they could get the people out.

Look at how slowly the water is moving down from Don Mueang. That should give a good indication of how quickly the water would move.

I don't really think the people who wish for central BKK to be flooded to help relieve the current problem really understand the implications.

Bad move for everybody in the long term.

If it can be proven to speed up the path of the water to the sea, and there is time to prepare to protect what is absolutely vital, why?

Strewth, it isn't as though downtown Bangkok hasn't had to put up with various other issues paralysing it in the last few years.

How long would it take to "prepare to protect" everything?