Thai Floods Leave 427 People Dead

webfact

Thai floods leave 427 people dead

BANGKOK, November 2, 2011 (AFP) - The death toll from Thailand's worst floods in decades surged above 400 on Wednesday as public anger simmered over the authorities' handling of the crisis.

The government said the disaster has now killed 427 people -- an increase of 42 from the figure reported a day earlier. So far no deaths in Bangkok have been reported in the official toll.

While the centre of the capital remains dry, areas in its outskirts and to the north have been submerged in water waist-deep or worse in places.

Residents in affected areas have complained that their homes are being sacrificed to save central parts of the sprawling metropolis, home to 12 million people, leading to protests and the destruction of some dykes.

The floods, triggered by unusually heavy monsoon rains that began three months ago, have damaged the homes and livelihoods of millions across the kingdom.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Bangkok officials have clashed over how much water should be let through certain sluice gates to the north of the city centre to ease the pressure on inundated communities.

Yingluck has refused calls from the opposition to declare a state of emergency that would give greater powers to the military to deal with unrest.

Army chief Prayut Chan-o-Cha also said that there was no need to invoke the emergency rule to deal with dissatisfied flood victims.

"To use the special law will cause confrontation between people and soldiers," he told reporters.

"Everything will be resolved by December. The current problem is how to drain water quickly as dykes and barriers have been destroyed in many places. If people don't allow water to pass then there's a problem and the floods will be prolonged and people will suffer more," he said.

Central Bangkok has largely been spared from major inundation after barriers along Bangkok's swollen Chao Phraya River prevented a major overflow during a spring high tide over the weekend.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-11-02

The numbers of dead hasn't increased over the last two weeks, in both Thai reports and international reports. Suddenly the number rises by 20%.

I think a lot of us know probably, at a guesstimate, at least 40% of the deaths have been caused by electrocution, and not disease nor drowning, as a result of live cables in waters, or low electricity metres.

Somebody mentioned only yesterday about investing the 800Billion into education.

Well I'm all for investing a large proportion of that into a fair few optic cables, and getting rid of the streets of unwanton dangerous wires that seem to be an acceptable way of life here. How many times have 'you' crossed a bridge and ended up touching a black piece of plastic, and jumping your hand off it as you recognise it is a live wire you are touching?

I have been to many Asian countries, and they don't have such inefficient wiring as Th does. Forget the education, that's at least beyond Victorian ages. The logistical supplies in this country, for major utilities like gas and electricity are Dickensian, except for a few candles... Anybody have a gas supply from a pipe from the street? Nope, A Calor gas bottle, as used for caravanning around Europe in the 70's. Even European camp-sites now have gas pipes to supply arriving caravans.

My point is; Quite a number of young innocents would not be dead if the power lines and gas supplies were Westernised here. That costs a lot less than every eleven year old receiving hacked and illegitemate laptops!

-m.

Yingluck playing politics by refusing to declare a SOE fearing what the military will do with their powers, how pathetic, perhaps when there is mass criminal activities because of food shortage, health and other related problems she will relent.

About the same amount of deaths had Thaksin anointed his little sister a 747 pilot instead. A position she is equally incapable of filling. But we're only 3 months in to this murderous fiasco. Sadly, she's going to have many more chances to up the body count.

Edited by serenitynow

Playing politics!!! Murderous fiasco!!! Where's my haldol????

Before you cross over into never never land, I've got a serious question for you. How many people do you figure that they think they will need to kill to get the whole 900 Billion?

"They" think...."They" need.....where's my haldol?

I read a newspaper article that mentioned 50 electrocutions, that probably those they see in the streets. If flooding is imminent, those refusing to evacuate may be so inclined if power is cut to the area. This would save both drowning and electrocution facilities.

Some of the real time videos show electric lights, even street lights and people wading thru chect deep water. "unbelievable'

The numbers of dead hasn't increased over the last two weeks, in both Thai reports and international reports. Suddenly the number rises by 20%.

I think a lot of us know probably, at a guesstimate, at least 40% of the deaths have been caused by electrocution, and not disease nor drowning, as a result of live cables in waters, or low electricity metres.

Somebody mentioned only yesterday about investing the 800Billion into education.

Well I'm all for investing a large proportion of that into a fair few optic cables, and getting rid of the streets of unwanton dangerous wires that seem to be an acceptable way of life here. How many times have 'you' crossed a bridge and ended up touching a black piece of plastic, and jumping your hand off it as you recognise it is a live wire you are touching?

I have been to many Asian countries, and they don't have such inefficient wiring as Th does. Forget the education, that's at least beyond Victorian ages. The logistical supplies in this country, for major utilities like gas and electricity are Dickensian, except for a few candles... Anybody have a gas supply from a pipe from the street? Nope, A Calor gas bottle, as used for caravanning around Europe in the 70's. Even European camp-sites now have gas pipes to supply arriving caravans.

My point is; Quite a number of young innocents would not be dead if the power lines and gas supplies were Westernised here. That costs a lot less than every eleven year old receiving hacked and illegitemate laptops!

-m.

The "live wire" you are touching is actually the telephone cable (often a great big bundle of them), the power cables are a little bit higher up and are not sheathed in plastic. Not saying that they are not dangerously close in places, but you should be aware of the difference. Fibre optic cable is also a telecommunications cable, not an electrical cable so running fibre will have no impact on the power cables.

"So far no deaths in Bangkok have been reported in the official toll."

When will bangkok people get it.

bangkok should take the fair share of the flood as well.

Not just let people outside bangkok die. More than 400 ALREADY.

How about Chiang Mai? Udon? How about they take their fair share of deaths too! Isn't all of Thailand together in this? Come on let's drown people all across the country, Shoot out Both feet and arms!

"So far no deaths in Bangkok have been reported in the official toll."

When will bangkok people get it.

bangkok should take the fair share of the flood as well.

Not just let people outside bangkok die. More than 400 ALREADY.

I'm beginning to think that you're just trolling.

Filipino teacher dies of electrocution in flooded Bangkok

Arnolfo Fernandez was electrocuted while he was wading through Bangkok's flooded streets, according to Raul Hernandez, spokesman of Manila foreign affairs department.

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/philippines/filipino-teacher-dies-of-electrocution-in-flooded-bangkok-1.922904

Edited by saintofsilence