Anyone Been To The New Ikea Yet Are There Queues?

daveb1

Wondered if anyone has paid a visit to the new Ikea yet near the airport, Are there big queues to get it? I canremember when new stores opened in the UK it was traffic gridlock for milesaround and queues to get in, so what's it like here. Want to go but not sure ifit's best to wait a few weeks?

Edited by daveb1

I can also remember these types of furniture stores back in the UK.

Total rubbish.

Stuff that did not fit together from the flat packs, would fall apart after a year.

These products became a standard joke.

At least in Thailand good quality furniture is still affordable and easy to avoid these junk places.

Total rubbish.

Stuff that did not fit together from the flat packs, would fall apart after a year.

At least in Thailand good quality furniture is still affordable and easy to avoid these junk places.

I also think you are thinking of MFI. IKEA is fantastic!

Edited by daveb1

Total rubbish.

what a frivilous post :rolleyes:

I went as its right by my house.

At 5pm it was normal Ikea busy, maybe a bit busier....lots of cars, queues for check out and hotdogs and a steady stream of people inside. Mostly foreigners or Thais that looked like they had been overseas as students and are all the english speaking middle class, so its going to take a while to catch on with the rest I reckon. Once people cotton on to the fact that they have 7 baht ice creams and 15 baht hotdogs you can guarantee family outings over the weekends.

Its bigger than any IKEA I've been in. Its bigger than some countries I've been in.

Prices are decent, better than Singapore. Someone from Singapore served us on checkout so they have imported staff and are expecting chaos. A lot of the staff are non Thai speaking which matches the demographic I guess.

I cant agree with the IKEA is crap comments. It has its place for sure and some of the so called cheap rubbish crap I have built from a flatpack has survived moves all around Asia and is still holding together long after some of the teak stuff has gone by the wayside. If I want to replace it or throw it out and start again then so be it, it is affordable.

The wife went straight for some of the knick knacks that are Ikea staples like dish racks, tea lights, fluff remover etc and you really cant buy them all in the one place in TH now so its not just about flatpacked furniture.

I give it the thumbs up with a caveat around thinking it may go in to meltdown once the weekend arrives. Go early and walk in the doors at opening time.

Only negative was they were allowing no more than 10 kids at a time in the kids club so there was an hour wait to get the little ones in which meant we ended up spending a fraction of what we would have if we didnt have to drag the kids around the store......

Edited by gkinbkk

Total rubbish.

what a frivilous post :rolleyes:

You just have to consider the sourcewink.gif

I have just got back, it was packed with people, but the till queues were not as bad as last Saturday ( they had a soft opening ) so maybe they learnt some lessons. Last week they were letting in loads of kids and it did look like mayhem :rolleyes: .Not sure was a good idea to take the girlfriend though as she seems hooked on the place already !

As for the quality I have always found it fine, perhaps those complaining have no idea how to assemble it properly..or probably just plain old snobs :whistling:

Total rubbish.

I've never had any problems with IKEA furniture, maybe you should consider hiring a proffesional to help you put the stuff together, and it just so happens that i am a carpenter and would consider helping you, for a small fee... B)

I reckon the people who are knocking IKEA quality (ease of assembly, durability, completeness of kits) are basing their assessment on their experience of other stores before IKEA overtook them.

MFI was not good. IKEA are exceptional in their quality - meaning their compliance to specification. If the specification does not meet your requirements, then you have to blame the customers' quality management, not the suppliers'.

SC

I reckon the people who are knocking IKEA quality (ease of assembly, durability, completeness of kits) are basing their assessment on their experience of other stores before IKEA overtook them.

MFI was not good. IKEA are exceptional in their quality - meaning their compliance to specification. If the specification does not meet your requirements, then you have to blame the customers' quality management, not the suppliers'.

SC

Ikea quality and prices varies significantly between the different countries in which they operate.

Some countries; cheap shit, other contries; reasonable quality furniture and prices accordingly.

SC

Ikea quality and prices varies significantly between the different countries in which they operate.

Some countries; cheap shit, other contries; reasonable quality furniture and prices accordingly.

I think you must be going to a different IKEA from me. My experience is that the products are indistinguishable. I have no idea about price, but I would expect that to vary depending on market conditions, and that they would select from their product range to address market opportunities. I imagine in most countries (and, possibly, within countries in different cities) they offer a subset of their overall range, depending on the local market. I have certainly never found anything that I bought from IKEA 'shit'; some stuff went straight in the bin because I had not matched requirements to specification... I can't blame IKEA for that.

I used to think that I was a snob because I valued individualism over conformity, but I learnt that was not a good thing; and I also learnt that successful individuals conform to their own unique standards, which are appreciated by others.

SC

EDIT: to clarify: I have no idea about price because I don't remember that. I have bought IKEA stuff in the UK, Singapore, Hong Kong and Dubai

Ikea products always remind me of my first wife, Swedish, slim, stylish. It was only when I got her home as well I found out there was a screw missing.....

I don't remember your wife, but I worry you may be getting her confused with MFI products. As I have posted repeatedly, I have never had a quality problem with IKEA furniture, and when I need furniture, they are definitely my supplier of choice. When it is want rather than need, perhaps I make a less pragmatic, more emotional choice... I went to another store for the last bed that I needed, and came away sorely disappointed through serious design defect

SC

Total rubbish.

This is why IKEA owner became billionaire...

Not sure that your opinion about IKEA is trustable...

Total rubbish.

I suppose some people can't distinguish quality from prejudice

SC

Sorry for the digression but, the worst word I've heard in my experience of quality management is "just"; it is generally associated with a complete misunderstanding of the complexities of the issues under discussion. "Why not just design a car that doesn;t fail?" "Why not just identify the possible failures and design to avoid them" "why not just choose the six numbers that are going to come out in the lottery next week?"

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Total rubbish.

I can vouch for IKEA's quality..

I have an IKEA "Klippan" lounge in Australia that was handed down from my parents when I first moved out to go to Uni.

It has survived numerous drunken parties, had people sleep on it and what not else.

I have moved it probably at least 5-6 times in the 15 years I have had it. I'm guessing mum had it maybe 5-6 years earlier than me as well.

It has no broken springs or boards that I know of.

best thing and the reason why we have kept it so long-I can still walk into a IKEA and buy a new cover for it.

I would like to think they still make quality like that now, but maybe not.

we went there today about 5-6 pm

not crowded, but the longest check-out wait I have ever had in Asia (very slow check-out staff)

expensive - only some promotional offers are very cheap, most stuff is more expensive than at SB

quality is not so good - generally better at SB

examples:

1.the one thing I really wanted to buy was a Poaeng armchair. I tried to sit on one and felt it would break under my weight (farang 100 kg). I then checked their specs, they said 170 kg is ok. I tried again thinking whether I would have to pay if it breaks - in the end I didn't dare to really sit down.

2. they sell paint that says in Thai that it is made in Germany. If you tear off the Thai label you see the Chinese label, which states (in Chinese) that this product is imported from Shanghai and made in Germany. It has labels in maybe 10 more languages - nowhere does it say "Made in Germany"

3. fittings are of poor quality

4. they sell "knife blocks" made of thin folded plastic - staight from your neighbourhood night market in Guangzhou. Off course, in Guangzhou they cost you 10 baht.

5. in the lamp section, they sell some non-descript local extension sockets - not the better local ones with fuse and safety switches you can find everywhere from Fortune to Seacon

6. they put their mattresses on display: hard - medium - soft. I have seen a 5 feet TG squeezing the "hard" one with her hands like butter, complaining "this is not hard"

hard to find the entry and the exit

they are located in a vast construction site, we needed two taxis to find the entry

(on our way back we took the free shuttle bus to BTS Udomsuk)

IKEA stores are adapted to their country, this one to Thailand:

eg you cannot find your way in or out

a lot of the furniture is for people who have lived all their life sitting on the floor, tables as high as 20 cm

many things remind an average North European (6 feet up) of a doll house (eg a "living room" of 14 sqm full with furniture)

We bought a frying pan, 79 Baht, 4 glasses 19 Baht each, a set of cooking utensils. Altogether 194 Baht.

We did not buy the armchair for 2590 Baht as I feared it would break, the shelves for 2300 Baht as I just bought one at BigC for 990 Baht which I like more, and the very nice dirt cheap desk lamp for 299 Baht as I have to many Thai desk lamps already (they are all crap, they were all much more than 1000 Baht).

Edited by uhuh

not crowded, but the longest check-out wait I have ever had in Asia (very slow check-out staff)

expensive - only some promotional offers are very cheap, most stuff is more expensive than at SB

examples:

1.the one thing I really wanted to buy was a Poaeng armchair. I tried to sit on one and felt it would break under my weight (farang 100 kg). I then checked their specs, they said 170 kg is ok. I tried again thinking whether I would have to pay if it breaks - in the end I didn't dare to really sit down.

2. they sell paint that says in Thai that it is made in Germany. If you tear off the Thai label you see the Chinese label, which states (in Chinese) that this product is imported from Shanghai and made in Germany. It has labels in maybe 10 more languages - nowhere does it say "Made in Germany"

4. they sell "knife blocks" made of thin folded plastic - staight from your neighbourhood night market in Guangzhou. Off course, in Guangzhou they cost you 10 baht.

5. in the lamp section, they sell some non-descript local extension sockets - not the better local ones with fuse and safety switches you can find everywhere from Fortune to Seacon

6. they put their mattresses on display: hard - medium - soft. I have seen a 5 feet TG squeezing the "hard" one with her hands like butter, complaining "this is not hard"

they are located in a vast construction site, we needed two taxis to find the entry

a lot of the furniture is for people who have lived all their life sitting on the floor, tables as high as 20 cm

many things remind an average North European (6 feet up) of a doll house (eg a "living room" of 14 sqm full with furniture)

We bought a frying pan, 79 Baht, 4 glasses 19 Baht each, a set of cooking utensils. Altogether 194 Baht.

We did not buy the armchair for 2590 Baht as I feared it would break, the shelves for 2300 Baht as I just bought one at BigC for 990 Baht which I like more, and the very nice dirt cheap desk lamp for 299 Baht as I have to many Thai desk lamps already (they are all crap, they were all much more than 1000 Baht).

I hope someone who is interested will derive the information from your data.

Thanks

SC

examples:

You actually buy your shelves from Big C ? Now I understand why you don't like IKEA ...