Local Wood

Lobo4819

I'd like to make some outdoor furniture, and am experienced in working with both bamboo and wood. I've found a good place to procure bamboo, but do any other carpenters out there know of a wood yard that offers seasoned dry wood, variety, and fair prices? Anyone have any experience and/or preferences in which are the best woods to work in here?

Outdoor furniture ?

You want to use " mai suk' (teak / tectona grandis) or "mai pradoo" ('rosewood' pterocarpus macrocarpus) It isn't rose wood, closer to Bubinga, but extremely hard, heavy and long lasting. However,use teak as it is softer and far easier to work with. There is also " mai daeng" but it is coarser than "mai pradoo" .

When it comes to bamboo ....I am a great fan of Mai.......geez, forgot the name. The solid bamboo that the tool handles are made from.

...Ken

Technocracy's big on wood; see this thead.

Mai sisiet nua = Akazie (Acacia catechu)

Mai makha = Monkey Pod Tree (Afzelia xylocarpa)

Gaang luang = Coffin Wood (Albizia chinensis)

Mai krabak yai = Krabak (Anisoptera costata)

Mai saake = Brotfrucht (Artocarpus communis)

Mai kanun = Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus)

Mai ngiu = Flamboyant / Flame of the Forest (Bombax ceiba)

Mai chayapruek = Laburnum (Cassia fistula)

Mai ma prao = Kokos (Cocos nucifera)

Mai daang = Rosenholz (Dalbergia parviflora)

Mai ma klua = Ebenholz (Diospyros mollis)

Mai yang = Yang / Gardschan Balsam (Dipterocarpus)

Mai yukalip = Eukalyptus (Eucalyptus sp)

Mai ni krot = Banyan / Feigenbaum (Ficus bengalensis)

Mai dton bo = Bodhibaum / Feige (Ficus religiosa)

Mai para = Gummibaum / Rubber wood (Hevea brasiliensis)

Mai takhien = Takhien (Hopea odorata)

Mai tong bung = Kempas (Koompassia)

Mai ma muang = Mango (Mangifera caloneura)

Mai champa = Magnolie (Michelia champaca)

Mai dton son = Pinie (Pinus kesiya, merkusii)

Mai pradu = Nara Wood (Pterocarpus indicus)

Mai ching chun = Siamese Rosewood (Pterocarpus macrocarpus)

Mai gong gang = Mangrove (Rhizophora mucronata)

Mai cham churee - Chamchuree (Samanea samana)

Mai daang = Burmesischer Sal Baum (Shorea obtusa)

Mai rang = Thai Sal Baum (Shorea siamensis)

Mai gong gang = Mangrove (Sonneratia sp)

Mai makam = Tamarind (Tamarindus indica)

Mai sak = Teak (Tectona grandis)

Mai daeng = Ironwood (Xylia xylocarpa)

Read somewhere foreigners weren't supposed to work teak. Don't know how true that is.

Fact : you buy teak.... a 10 wheel truckload if you want as a farang, you do your whole house ,u make your toys but just buy from local sawmill ,legal teak and keep your receipt.. What you make you make for yourself not resale.

Thailand is a free market society meaning you got the cash welcome to spend it ,just do it according the the rules.The previous statement above was just more tv bs.

If my dog had hands he could do the same here.

Edited by yesterday

^ Hey, numb but, as I said above, I wasn't sure if what I'd read was true or not. There are many forbidden fields for farangs, one area being wood carving. However, that probably refers to 'as an occupation', though folks have been removed for the most innocent of activities. If you know better, fine, post it on here, but don't tell me 'bs'! :jerk:

Any ideas on sources?

Suksawat on Trat Wong Rd (just within the Superhighway, northeast corner) is a big supplier, including teak and mai daeng. The left turn from the Super frontage road is about 100m past Home Mart (before the car tyre place.

Hello Lobo,

On the road to Phrao on the 1001 there are teak plantations that sell whole teak trees or whatever part you want of the trees lying around. Cannot miss it on the left hand side of the road about 45 minutes out of CNX.

In Ban Thi you can buy used wood in all shapes and forms. Even complete teak buildings. Ban Thi is south of San Kampaeng. Follow the 1147 down and you cannot miss it. Many places!

R'tje

Thanks, Teak & Jackr. Wouldn't that be typical? Finally wind up where teak is as common as sand, and I am "forbidden". Teak and Rosewood were the two I was thinking of. Any ideas on sources?

Rosewood is of the Dalbergia family and there is little available in Thailand. There is Lao true rosewood, a Burma true rose wood and of course Indian rosewood. Indian rosewood is Dalbergia Latifolia. It gets complicated as each subspecies has different characteristics and value, with Lao rosewood being of the lowest value....and another subspecies in Cambodia (if I remember correctly).

I would suggest mai pradoo over mai daeng for a hard red wood.

There are 'brown' woods in Thailand other than teak and teak comes in a variety of colours, so if you are unsure, simply smell a piece of known teak and you will always be able to identify teak by it's characteristic smell.

The solid bamboo I mentioned previously is called " Mai Pai " it is the one with those long sharp spikes.

Good building ! ...Ken

• 4 weeks later...