Hiring A Companion For First Visit

IvanCherkov

Hello, I just found this site and hope that I am in the right place for this question. I will be visiting Bangkok for the first time for three days in Dec, and am considering hiring a lady as companion and guide. So I am thinking about having both some fun, as well have someone local to help me get to tourist sites quickly and without getting lost. I have contacted some ladies who advertise these services on Craigslist, and have found one that seems to be nice and responds to emails in a professional way. So I am wondering

1) is this a good idea in general, or would it be a better idea to explore on my own and pick from a variety of entertainment options?

2) is there any chance that a thai contact from craigslist may turn out well or is this most likely a scary ripoff (as it would be here in North America)?

3) any other suggestions how to make this sort of arrangement work?

Thanks for your responses.

Edited by IvanCherkov

Armed with a decent tourist map and a little bit of reading before hand there's no reason to hire a guide, in fact you might find doing so limiting in many ways. Bangkok is a very safe city for Westerners and it's quite easy to get around, meeting new "friends" here is very easily done. If there is a risk here as a tourist it's a financial risk, not knowing the place or the culture here could result in you spending more money than is necessary, hiring a guide will not reduce that risk in fact it may well increase it substantially!.

Armed with a decent tourist map and a little bit of reading before hand there's no reason to hire a guide, in fact you might find doing so limiting in many ways. Bangkok is a very safe city for Westerners and it's quite easy to get around, meeting new "friends" here is very easily done. If there is a risk here as a tourist it's a financial risk, not knowing the place or the culture here could result in you spending more money than is necessary, hiring a guide will not reduce that risk in fact it may well increase it substantially!.

Bringing a boat will be a good idea as most of Bangkok seems to be under water!!

Bringing a boat will be a good idea as most of Bangkok seems to be under water!!

not true. tourism is hurt by such ill-informed scare-mongering.

Just goes to show you can not believe any of the many news channels I have been watching!!!

How true, best bring flippers and snorkle instead, just to be safe.

How true, best bring flippers and snorkle instead, just to be safe.

I am feeling it for the people their, not only do they have to put up with their homes under water, now they have to contend with deadly snakes and crocodiles swimming in the streets!!!

Edited by kenny999

What do you mean by increasing the risk of spending more. I would budget for the companion (10k baht/3 days), and also for food, transportation, and admissions if necessary for two people - is that not reasonable? Is there a good chance to be robbed or worse?

anyone can put an ad on craigslist , if you really need a guide then ask your Hotel , I am sure they have people who are honest and can show you around for a fee ,

As far as being robbed , if you are in a tourist area just look out for pick pockets like you would anywhere in the world , but its normally pretty safe.

BK

What do you mean by increasing the risk of spending more. I would budget for the companion (10k baht/3 days), and also for food, transportation, and admissions if necessary for two people - is that not reasonable? Is there a good chance to be robbed or worse?

I wouldn't say the probability of being robbed was a good chance, no matter how likely or otherwise. Although you might enjoy the "or worse" depending on your personal tastes.

Anyway, that doesn't normally happen. I wouldn't get too worried about the flooding and snakes and crocodiles and sharks, if you stick to the centre of town.

I don't think that you need a guide to lead you astray in Bangkok - perhaps you might choose to join an organised tour, like the one that KObrien is planning

SC

You forgot to mention bringing the greem mamba anti-venom also. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

anyone can put an ad on craigslist , if you really need a guide then ask your Hotel , I am sure they have people who are honest and can show you around for a fee ,

As far as being robbed , if you are in a tourist area just look out for pick pockets like you would anywhere in the world , but its normally pretty safe.

BK

How much contact with her have you had, smsing online or talking to get to know her? what credentials does she have & don't commit to more than one day? I have had a friend who did this same sort of thing & it turned out fine but he wished he would have had the last few days alone & if you only want 1 day in the start you can always call her & ask to meet again! My friend reserved a appartment so was too commited & he was a nice guy so didnt want to tell her to leave early. His guide wasnt interested in all the same type of things he was, so he missed out on seeing all sides..

• 2 weeks later...

10.000 Baht for 3 days should absolutely include good sex, 4 times a day.

Only thing you need to watch out for is:

If anyone ever offer any form of service, request what it will cost in advance, and do it twice, also specify what that service more specifically include, twice.

Don't ever pay until any form of service is fully provided.

Don't ever lend out money to any form of life here.

You see, you won't be robbed, you will be bullied and/or tricked into forking out money,

for as little in return as possible.

Edited by poanoi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 'IvanCherkov'…….Ha ha…great name! Are you having us on a bite, or what? OK, taking what you say at face value, may I suggest before you try your hand with the locals here, you first try and talk to a woman……..other than your Mum in your own country.

Good luck…You're going to need it.

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant post Mr Jerkoff ;-)

Love the effort that has gone into this post and I hope your not left with your pants around your ankles in the middle of nowhere (unless your into that sort of thing)

Don't worry, turn up and ask at your hotel for help, youll be fine.

Take care