What Are The 'Golden Rules' Of Advice For Tourists?

snamos

Just got inspired from a previous post of mine....What would be the golden rules that anyone here would offer first timers to Phuket?

Mine are

(Being an Australian)

1) Dont Change money in Aus

2) Dont use Tuk Tuks or Jetskis

3) If it looks too good to be true then its a bloke

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never deal with an Expat owned company here.

Lie, cheat and steal better than any thai.

I have to disagree - not all expat owned companies are like that! You get good and bad owners from all races so just be careful who you work with.... sorry if you had a bad experience but dont taint the rest of us!

Be polite. if the local doesn't understand, yelling will not facilitate comprehension.

Set a good example by not littering or tossing cigarette butts on the beach.

Never ever say you are wealthy. It is not important to impress the bar or hotel staff.

Try and leave a donation for one of the reputable animal charities (e.g. soidog, gibbons, Royal sponsored wildlife rehabilitaion). The people that they employ and the good that they do spreads goodness.

arrive early at the airport during peak travel times. It's a zoo at checkin.

If she may be a ladyboy then she is.

I thought that was covered in rule #3

1. Beware the huffing and puffing of farang Thai defenders – humour them and trust your own judgement.

2. Thai television soaps are mind numbingly dreadful, but they will inform/educate you as what it will be like should you choose to have a TGF and associate with her family.

3. Patong to the airport is possible in 18 minutes.

4. Never steal another man's rhubarb.

5. Cover up on the beach – flabby sunburnt tits, ones that look like old witches leather purses or rotten apples will offend the locals and make the soi dogs howl for hours on end.

6. Understanding Thai phrases:

"I no work bar – I only hab work cashier" - I work bar.

(insert your own here...)

7) After your holiday in Thailand and you think you can become a millionare here on your return...come as a billionare

Yep after coming here since 89 and spending in time about 11 years the best way to make a small fortune here business wise is start with a big one ,I've heard so many "sob story's" about farangs who came here with good intentions only to finish up broken in body and soul ,just too bad most think with what is between their legs and not their ears :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beware the huffing and puffing of farang Thai defenders – humour them and trust your own judgement.

2. Thai television soaps are mind numbingly dreadful, but they will inform/educate you as what it will be like should you choose to have a TGF and associate with her family.

3. Patong to the airport is possible in 18 minutes.

4. Never steal another man's rhubarb.

5. Cover up on the beach – flabby sunburnt tits, ones that look like old witches leather purses or rotten apples will offend the locals and make the soi dogs howl for hours on end.

6. Understanding Thai phrases:

"I no work bar – I only hab work cashier" - I work bar.

(insert your own here...)

I think Ive seen rule 6 before in Falangland..."im a receptionist in a brothel" or "I only strip to get through university"

6. Understanding Thai phrases: (cont.)

“No Hab” - oft quoted and usage varies; essentially ‘not available’, even if the required object/task is plainly visible in front of you both. Pushing the point home will only result in a most fearsome bout of sulking from the respondent and the possibility of a good kicking for your troubles. Forget about it, buy a mirror and gibber quietly to yourself.

“Phet nit noi” (spicy a litta bit) Thai humour here and the dish on offer is to be treated with grave caution. Partake only if you’ve an asbestos coated tongue and have medical insurance that covers colon transplants.

never stop for an accident unless you are directly involved...you will get blamed for it...also giving directions is confusing enough in English...let alone on a telephone to a Thai emergency services operator....leave that to the locals