What Are The 'Golden Rules' Of Advice For Tourists?

snamos

never stop for an accident unless you are directly involved...you will get blamed for it...also giving directions is confusing enough in English...let alone on a telephone to a Thai emergency services operator....leave that to the locals

But then they say 'mai glai, trong pai' 'Not far straight on', they often don't know. ( I was 5 Km from my home in sankamphaeng and the local villager did not know how to get there!! ' Trong Pai' means they get rid of you

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But then they say 'mai glai, trong pai' 'Not far straight on', they often don't know. ( I was 5 Km from my home in sankamphaeng and the local villager did not know how to get there!! ' Trong Pai' means they get rid of you

You know, that was something that surprised me the most when I arrived in Thailand. I used to stop at a petrol/gas station and ask directions, just no idea. Even tried a police man, but all he did was ask for my driving licence and searched the car. After a couple of times I just gave up the idea of asking for directions.

Never deal with an Expat owned company here.

Lie, cheat and steal better than any thai.

I have to disagree - not all expat owned companies are like that! You get good and bad owners from all races so just be careful who you work with.... sorry if you had a bad experience but dont taint the rest of us!

Bullshit. I learned a long time ago the expat businesses here will rob you blind. They'll do anything to not have to go back to their home countries and this country attracts the worse kind of expat 'businessman' lol, given the complete lack of business regulation here.

Always use recommended Thai companies/people.

V few tourists get attached to the local women. They may enjoy the 'service' provided, but only a small minority are stupid enough to believe they are 'hansum man' and end up in trouble.

Most tourists have a great time and, as long as they avoid the jet skis and motorbikes (unless they are used to riding them at home) - will be just fine and have a wonderful holiday.

The beaches are great, everybody is friendly (a tourist need not realise why) and the weather is a dam_n sight better than back at home!

Probably one sucker on every plane landing here.

More likely than you think.

The opening sentence 'V (sic) many tourists (per se?) get attached to local women' assumes that the average tourist, any tourist, is predominantly male looking for cheap sex. Not so, many variables, do catch up. There are also many families, and singles of either sex NOT visiting Phuket for sex, and, an awful lot of those that are 'attracted to the women', do indeed end up, er, 'getting attached'.

Have fun

Relax on the beaches

Enjoy the different food and culture

Go shopping

See something different to home

Have an open mind

Avoid the moany old Gits that frequent certain forums and bars

If your ex sas etc join the club most bars have one..

You know, that was something that surprised me the most when I arrived in Thailand. I used to stop at a petrol/gas station and ask directions, just no idea. Even tried a police man, but all he did was ask for my driving licence and searched the car. After a couple of times I just gave up the idea of asking for directions.

motocy taxis, ask them to go ahead and follow, pay 20 baht when you start and the rest, if any, when place found

Great point Forgot about that all together.. Cell phones are super cheap and easy to get. MBK has full floor all cell phones, then 7-11, 1 2 call sim chips. All for 30.00 US. Just make sure the phone is Quad Band. Not sure whats up w/ 3G in LOS now.

I would suggest to any new tourist to pack a cheap phone...grab a sim card at the airport on your arrival...the phone system is fantastic here and very cheap for prepaid customers...no ID needed

motocy taxis, ask them to go ahead and follow, pay 20 baht when you start and the rest, if any, when place found

No motorcys in the villages around Sankamphaeng and I don't recall seeing them in Chiang Mai . Think it's a southern pastime

On my first visit to Thailand 10 years ago I had a tuk tuk driver outside the hotel in Bangkok tell me he would give me a free tour. He was upfront that he got paid in gas vouchers and made commission on anything I bought, but that I didn't have to buy anything. I had read or heard enough about gem scams and such that I knew somewhat to expect. It was quite elaborate scam. He took me to the "Lucky temple", a small half built temple looking structure in the middle of commercial and residential buildings with a monk or Buddha sculpture inside, but no monks He beeped the horn as we arrived and made a point to tell me "Whatever happens in the temple is considered very lucky." As I walked in, a tall sharply dressed olive complected man, possibly Indian or Nepalese, appeared and put on the friendly chap routine showing me how to properly visit a temple, asking me where I was from, how long I was here etc. He then said that he was involved in a gem business and was looking for couriers to take gems back to the states. No thanks and I had enough of the "temple". I was then taken to a couple of markets and silk shops where the driver collected his petrol tickets. All mildly amusing but didn't cost me anything. Lastly he took me to a go-go where the door fee was 600B for me and 600B for him. :unsure:

On my first visit to Thailand 10 years ago I had a tuk tuk driver outside the hotel in Bangkok tell me he would give me a free tour. He was upfront that he got paid in gas vouchers and made commission on anything I bought, but that I didn't have to buy anything. I had read or heard enough about gem scams and such that I knew somewhat to expect. It was quite elaborate scam. He took me to the "Lucky temple", a small half built temple looking structure in the middle of commercial and residential buildings with a monk or Buddha sculpture inside, but no monks He beeped the horn as we arrived and made a point to tell me "Whatever happens in the temple is considered very lucky." As I walked in, a tall sharply dressed olive complected man, possibly Indian or Nepalese, appeared and put on the friendly chap routine showing me how to properly visit a temple, asking me where I was from, how long I was here etc. He then said that he was involved in a gem business and was looking for couriers to take gems back to the states. No thanks and I had enough of the "temple". I was then taken to a couple of markets and silk shops where the driver collected his petrol tickets. All mildly amusing but didn't cost me anything. Lastly he took me to a go-go where the door fee was 600B for me and 600B for him. :unsure:

10. Miscellaneous:

Always count your change. The Somchai abacus has known software errors.

Your TGF for the day would rather be with her friends than you during the day so don't waste time and money taking her on day trips. Coral Island (off the south coast) is not far and makes for a nice relaxing day out. Similan Islands okay but too far to do much in one day, although 3 nights can be arranged staying on a boat if you're into the diving thing.

Contrary to what the incumbent inmates say, getting a decent quality roast dinner is nigh on impossible, in the same way you don't get good authentic Thai slop in your own berg. Quality steaks are available but you will need to ask around and be prepared to pay out a bit.

Should you comment to one of the incumbent inmates about some awful thing that has happened to you whilst there, and the cloth-eared ignoramus asks,"why do you come here then", simply say, "Same reason as you chuckles, same reason as you.'

Never, ever, tip for bad service.

T-Bone steaks from a Thai restaurant are indeed T-Bone steaks, but not necessarily from a Cow.

Yes, charcoal tablets (for food poisoning) really are that big.

The som tam cart that sets up near the Lamai Hotel does 'real' som tam – caution advised.

Excellent proper massages are available (without the pop shot). Again, just ask around (but don't ask Somchai.)

'Light Beers' will still give you a pom pui. Thai Whisky is dreadful stuff.

Yes, Somchai really has managed to fill that 6" gap in the bathroom using several tubes of sealant. Ask him for tips on how to do this.

If coming via Bangkok, stock up on t-shirts, consumables, etc, there rather than be ripped off here for exactly the same item(s).

If you take a trip out on one of the old timber boats, be aware that the hong nam is usually located under a removable board over the drive propeller – quite a unique experience in a rough sea.

Yes SB I also had this happen to me didn't buy anything but what a trip. I went to the Grand Palace and this man tells me it's Closed for lunch but my friend can drive you around til they reopen.. Cool then off we went.. not a problem but funny how hard they tried to sell me everything they could. All in all a great day cruising the area. Happen everyday I would think there in Bkk.