Pm Asks Western Bangkok Residents For Patience As Flood Will Last Longer

Lite Beer

I truly wish that Abhisit was still in power, just so that everyone could see how totally useless would be his efforts to cope with the floods, with information, and with relief supplies. Most Thais could not organise a booze up in a brewery. No one can correct in a few months the mistakes that have been accumulating for years. It's nice to blame and abuse Yingluck, but she is simply the current scapegoat and her abusers just show a lack of scientific and historical perspective.

Yingluck was placed there to be a scapegoat until HE arrives back (but even the almighty will have a rude awakening).

Because the P.M. is taking some flack as anyone in any country would---she will have to take it, if her decisions were wrong she will have to take the consequences in the end...that's what she is paid for, (this is what people tend to forget).

As for your hatred of Abhisit, (seems that way with most of your posts) as when there is a red party problem you always bring him back into it, and to say what he would have done in Yinglucks position is pure speculation, and anti democratic stance. Why not treat things as they are now and denounce when things are wrong rather than use other people as a scapegoat.

I think you misunderstand me, I don't hate Abhisit, however I do dislike those people who think the sun shines out of his anal orifice and that he can do no wrong. If I sound over supportive of Yingluck see it as partly an attempt at balance and partly that as a scientist with expertise in disaster management (in the UK) I realise that there is very little she can do at this time. It is not just inexperience, it is inheriting a structure where numerous agencies each has an axe to grind, an image to protect. Where the Governor of Bangkok and MP of both parties roam around like loose cannons. A country where scientific advice has always been subordinate to immediate financial gain.

After these floods there is potentially a bigger disaster looming, rather than preparing for it people are wasting time with political bickering, farangs and Thais alike, sad and pathetic.

Farangs play no part in the running of this country and their advice is rarely if ever heeded, therefore they may bicker and prattle as they see fit!

Edited by marquess

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PM Asks Western Bangkok Residents For Patience As Flood Will Last Longer

BANGKOK, Nov 4 -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Friday told residents living in western Bangkok to come to terms with the severe flood sweeping those areas for weeks already as it would no doubt linger for a long period of time.

preceded by

BANGKOK, Oct 30 -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday urged Bangkok residents to be patient and refrain from destroying water barriers as the worst flood crisis in more than five decades was expected to pass soon.

"Please hang on for a few more days," she said.

which was preceded by

BANGKOK, Oct 16 -- Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut assured Bangkok residents living along the Chao Phraya River that the worst is over.

At the Flood Relief Operations Centre press conference today, he added that water level in Singburi and Ayutthaya tends to be lower today as massive run-off from Nakhon Sawan has passed Bangkok.

The latest Suan Dusit Poll published in the other paper this morning reflects the general impression that the government's response to the flooding has been ineffective, confusing, and contradictory.

I truly wish that Abhisit was still in power, just so that everyone could see how totally useless would be his efforts to cope with the floods, with information, and with relief supplies. Most Thais could not organise a booze up in a brewery. No one can correct in a few months the mistakes that have been accumulating for years. It's nice to blame and abuse Yingluck, but she is simply the current scapegoat and her abusers just show a lack of scientific and historical perspective.

Yingluck was placed there to be a scapegoat until HE arrives back (but even the almighty will have a rude awakening).

Because the P.M. is taking some flack as anyone in any country would---she will have to take it, if her decisions were wrong she will have to take the consequences in the end...that's what she is paid for, (this is what people tend to forget).

As for your hatred of Abhisit, (seems that way with most of your posts) as when there is a red party problem you always bring him back into it, and to say what he would have done in Yinglucks position is pure speculation, and anti democratic stance. Why not treat things as they are now and denounce when things are wrong rather than use other people as a scapegoat.

I think you misunderstand me, I don't hate Abhisit, however I do dislike those people who think the sun shines out of his anal orifice and that he can do no wrong. If I sound over supportive of Yingluck see it as partly an attempt at balance and partly that as a scientist with expertise in disaster management (in the UK) I realise that there is very little she can do at this time. It is not just inexperience, it is inheriting a structure where numerous agencies each has an axe to grind, an image to protect. Where the Governor of Bangkok and MP of both parties roam around like loose cannons. A country where scientific advice has always been subordinate to immediate financial gain.

After these floods there is potentially a bigger disaster looming, rather than preparing for it people are wasting time with political bickering, farangs and Thais alike, sad and pathetic.

If you had left the first part out of your comment your views would be more reasonable.

If you had left the first part out of your comment your views would be more reasonable.

The assumption in your comment is that your views are more reasonable than mine. I think most people would think their view is the correct reasonable one, so your reply was basically superfluous. Rather like the comments of most Thai politiciansbiggrin.gif

I am sick and tired of hearing about how much more I will have to sacrifice in this charade.

Fine. Some Phua Thai big wig decides he doesn't want the farmers in his province to have to suffer and orders the RID to ignore the meterologists and keep the water in the dams, thereby precipitating this crisis. Now, I am told I need to suffer even longer to pay for their political BS.

I'm pissed. Truly. There is over a million baht in damage in my house. I'll accept as much hardship as needed to get everyone out of this disaster, BUT PAY ME DAMNIT!!!!

30,000 baht for your screwup? What an insult. There is only one thing that can fix this Miss Bad Luck Yingluck. Money. Lots of it. Not your pissy 30k maximum either. Promise each resident of Western Bangkok another 200k for their additional 2 weeks of sacrifice, as well as real relief for everyone who was affected by your political crony's bad policy, and then maybe you'll get that patience you want.

Money is the only thing that will fix this. It was one of yours who created this crisis miss PM. You need to fix it. Don't ask me for patience. Mine has run out. I'm going to set up a yurt in the middle of Ratchaprasong intersection until you start being reasonable. If it is good enough for your precious red shirts, it is good enough for me.

And anyone who thinks I don't deserve to rant is someone who deserves to lose everything the way I have.

gregb, I would be very surprised if anybody could 'afford' to be flooded (regardless of political views) - it's not as though the majority go around the place building a personal "flood fund" in the event that they are fed conflicting information and then find themselves under water!:(

I hope that you are able to somehow 'replace and recover' after this mess is over.

I hate to say it but, as the water spreads, I fear more and more of us will be ranting very soon...

Take care and, in the meantime, rant away!!

It's not much different from what the Democrats have always been criticised for, i.e. "be patient, sit in your villages and wait till we get to you." But she is not even promising to get to them.

I think many Thais are now sick of this idiot, worthless person telling them to be patient. Probably her revolting brother tells her the same thing on phone every day. "Be patient, Pou, I will be back soon and you can go back to being an airhead."

The latest Suan Dusit Poll published in the other paper this morning reflects the general impression that the government's response to the flooding has been ineffective, confusing, and contradictory.

Major suprise!!!......how many people have been inundated for weeks, and how many others face the same........if people are satisfied with this situation I think one would question their sanity

Tell me did the poll organisers ask the public face to face and distribute water while doing so......I doubt it...poll at this time is a waste of valuable time and effort...

Major suprise!!!......how many people have been inundated for weeks, and how many others face the same........if people are satisfied with this situation I think one would question their sanity

Tell me did the poll organisers ask the public face to face and distribute water while doing so......I doubt it...poll at this time is a waste of valuable time and effort...

The government are largely responsible for the flooding due to their mismanagement of the dams, this should be constantly borne in mind when compensation is sought!

The government are largely responsible for the flooding due to their mismanagement of the dams, this should be constantly borne in mind when compensation is sought!

Lest we Thai visa readers forget.....:rolleyes::coffee1:

And there you have it folks, allocate the full blame on the only party with the ability to pay........

To reiterate the contents of the poll, the populace is not dissatisfied with being flooded, they are dissatisfied with the government's response to the flooding.

To reiterate the contents of the poll, the populace is not dissatisfied with being flooded, they are dissatisfied with the government's response to the flooding.

Nothing that can't be fixed with 500 Baht before the next election....

Interesting view....but her 'clone' brother was running the show for 6 years before. WHAT MEASURESE DID HE TAKE TAKE TO PREVENT FLOODING FOR BANGKOK THEN??????????? Right.....non.

Again no major suprise, I guess in all the previous years they were well satisfied with the response of the government while up to their necks in slurry, this government obviously urgently requires the information that the people who have been inundated for weeks are unhappy about their predicament, and think the government should do more to remove the water........big suprise there again.....

Of course the complaint is generated by being flooded, and for a long period of time, if there was flooding, and no government, the opinion poll would show they were satisfied with their current situation?

Anterian #34

We all have our views that's what makes us unique, I would defend the last P.M. or any past P.M. when your suggestion was to say that if Abhisit was here running the job at this moment in time, would be a shambles of a job (as you more or less suggested). Why would you say that when you will never know how he would have managed.

As for near all M.Ps here in Thailand they are highly paid Hi Sos with little knowledge of the said positions they fill, and gain that roll through ?????? it will all hit the fan in a few months, and we can all sit back and reflect what we said. I just have a sneaking feeling many will be sort of -losing face. but we will see time will be our friend.B)

Again no major suprise, I guess in all the previous years they were well satisfied with the response of the government while up to their necks in slurry, this government obviously urgently requires the information that the people who have been inundated for weeks are unhappy about their predicament, and think the government should do more to remove the water........big suprise there again.....

You're welcome to produce previous poll results that indicate what you speculate on freely is accurate.

I'm referencing the one done today, in which we know what the results are, and is submitted without any speculation as to results.

Edited by Buchholz

post withdrawn. Perhaps a bit over the top.

Edited by lannarebirth

post withdrawn. Perhaps a bit over the top.

Iannarebirth, I did answer #46 but bit my tongue somewhat.

Not dissatisfied with being flooded............not dissatisfied with being flooded.........you sure.......:crazy:

So the populace would willingly be flooded again next year........providing the government response to the flooding is improved..........amazing line of thought.........

Not dissatisfied with being flooded.

For the obtuse trolls who drag things out completely unnecessarily... the POLL is about people's dissatisfaction with the government's response to the flood.

That was pointed out in the first reply, but rather than accept the stats, you obtusely distort it to people being dissatisfied with flooding.

Stop wasting everyone's time.

Edited by Buchholz

For the obtuse trolls who drag things out completely unnecessarily... the POLL is about people's dissatisfaction with the government's response to the flood.

That was pointed out in the first reply, but rather than accept the stats, you obtusely distort it to people being dissatisfied with flooding.

I have never questioned the stats...................just stated they were blindingly obvious given the circumstances......and therefore the poll was a complete and utter waste of space, time and effort.......

But for those who cannot see the blindingly obvious, or are just a little bit insensitive to the way people are feeling right now, and are incapable of seeing anything other than a political slant........ I guess they are necessary.........so please carry on.........

Edited by 473geo

I have never questioned the stats...................just stated they were blindingly obvious given the circumstances......and therefore the poll was a complete and utter waste of space, time and effort.......

But for those who cannot see the blindingly obvious, or are just a little bit insensitive to the way people are feeling right now, and are incapable of seeing anything other than a political slant........ I guess they are necessary.........so please carry on.........

So you deny that your first post attempted to spin it to people being dissatisfied with being flooded? :rolleyes:

An why would it blindingly obvious that people would be dissatisfied with the government's response to the flood? If the government had been doing a good job in responding to the flood, the poll would have reflected that.

I can see why you would want to dismiss a poll that didn't reflect favorably on your preferred government by calling it a waste of time.

But by all means, please carry on wasting everyone's time with your obtuseness.

If you cannot see that people up to their necks in water are going to be pretty disatisfied with everything.......then there is no hope for you

To suggest that people up to their necks in water are not disatisfied with their circumstances, but only with the government, because while they were up to their necks in water, they were asked 'do you think the government is doing enough' is frankly quite laughable

Discussion closed

If you cannot see that people up to their necks in water are going to be pretty disatisfied with everything.......then there is no hope for you

To suggest that people up to their necks in water are not disatisfied with their circumstances, but only with the government, because while they were up to their necks in water, they were asked 'do you think the government is doing enough' is frankly quite laughable

What I can see is that even in bad situations if a government is perceived as doing its utmost to improve the situation and offers hope that the situation will resolve at the earliest possible time, then poll results would reflect that.

If you wish to spin the government's abysmal performance regarding their response to the flood as inevitable and unavoidable... up to you.

Even with your latest post above, you still attempt to spin it as people being dissatisfied with their "circumstances", rather the actual poll results reflecting dissatisfaction with the government's response to their circumstances, it's understandable the vigorous effort to change what is plainly worded in the poll results.

Well the poll says that less than 50% of people questioned in evacuation centres said the government was not well prepared to cope with the flood,and less than 25% of people questioned in evacuation centres said the governments information lacked clarity preventing them evacuating in time.......

Those percentages, responses from displaced people inside evacuation centres, do not really support your deliberate transparent attempt to pour scorn on the government.......:coffee1:

Its actuall

I am sick and tired of hearing about how much more I will have to sacrifice in this charade.

Fine. Some Phua Thai big wig decides he doesn't want the farmers in his province to have to suffer and orders the RID to ignore the meterologists and keep the water in the dams, thereby precipitating this crisis. Now, I am told I need to suffer even longer to pay for their political BS.

I'm pissed. Truly. There is over a million baht in damage in my house. I'll accept as much hardship as needed to get everyone out of this disaster, BUT PAY ME DAMNIT!!!!

30,000 baht for your screwup? What an insult. There is only one thing that can fix this Miss Bad Luck Yingluck. Money. Lots of it. Not your pissy 30k maximum either. Promise each resident of Western Bangkok another 200k for their additional 2 weeks of sacrifice, as well as real relief for everyone who was affected by your political crony's bad policy, and then maybe you'll get that patience you want.

Money is the only thing that will fix this. It was one of yours who created this crisis miss PM. You need to fix it. Don't ask me for patience. Mine has run out. I'm going to set up a yurt in the middle of Ratchaprasong intersection until you start being reasonable. If it is good enough for your precious red shirts, it is good enough for me.

And anyone who thinks I don't deserve to rant is someone who deserves to lose everything the way I have.

I am not entering the political discussion of which Gov't would have coped better with floods. Or how much money should be paid to people in compensation for their damages. But one issue has been overlooked here: HEALTH DANGER to people wading in sewerage infested water. The results will surely appear in all forms. Sooner rather than later. But the Gov't inaction in this respect is bordering on criminal. Huge numbers of people are forced to stay in BKK, live in inhuman conditions and risk their health and very lives, by being forced to KEEP TURNING UP FOR WORK, UNDER THE THREAT OF LOSING THEIR JOBS FOR NOT TURNING UP! This situation is directly manageable by the Gov't, yet they prefer to issue emotional pleas and slogans. They can make themselves look good and concerned on TV, but when people will start to die of contageous disease this once again be written off as 'accidents caused by natural disaster'. Thai people must realise that this coming new malady is not accidental, but a direct result of Gov't policy.

Many people in BKK would opt to go out of the city, if they were free to make such a choice without the risk of losing their jobs.

Ms. Yingluck, please, act quickly on this one, or take the blame for inaction in the near and certain future. :jap:

I can annecdotally back this one up.

Some of my wife's cousins were due to come stay with us (relocate from Bangkok to Chonburi). At first, they couldn't get out, due to the flooding (they can't swim, and are in a badly hit area). By the time systems were able to move around (military trucks, I'm told), they were required to go to work. One of them works at a beauty supply shop. Who is buying make-up in Bangkok right now?! But, she is told, if she doesn't come to work, they'll fire her. Now, she is sick (red spots all over) - from the stagnant, infested flood waters.

Puntmeister, I'm sorry for your loved ones.

You must be really insensitive to the Nation's woes at this critical times, asking silly questions about who needs make-up products now in BKK.

First,- your cousins. How are they going to cover the red spots?

Second,- the Gov't. How can they appear on TV and look good?

As to the red spots, black spots, crock inflicted wounds, snake bites, disentery and cholera,- all these things are unfortunate, unforseen and unpredictable events, for which nobody is responsible. Right? :blink::ermm::rolleyes:

Second

She needs to get her Thai Labor Law out and take a look. It’s actually damned hard to fire someone in thsi coutnry if they know the act and are preapred to follow through on it. her boss needs a written warning for the same offence three times in 12 months ( which she has to have counterd signed). She is entitled to up to a month sick leave, and needs only present a doctors certificate after three days ( her red sports should do it fine). If they fire her, the labour department will take the case up for her. She will almost certainly win and is entitled to 3 months full pay, plus whatever pay is remaining from the month she was fired in. ( could be up to 30 days extra pay if she was fired on the 1st of the month) From memory there is some provision for half pay and termination if the company cant maintain operations, but then her job is well and truly over if they cant keep going.

Interesting view....but her 'clone' brother was running the show for 6 years before. WHAT MEASURESE DID HE TAKE TAKE TO PREVENT FLOODING FOR BANGKOK THEN??????????? Right.....non.

Indeed, but this problem has been brewing for decades, nay generations, what measures have anyone taken?

"Come to terms with the flood", eh? Well, we'll see about that. The person who needs to come to terms with things is the incompetent, arrogant, indifferent PM who puts in worthless PR appearances, makes inarticulate contradictory statements from one day to the next, and then is paralyzed into inaction and reaction. And, now, to top it all off, she comes out with this "shut up and put up with it" statement. It doesn't matter whether you believe in Jesus, Buddha, Allah, or Zeus, this sort of tinpot arrogance will meet its comeuppance soon enough.

It is really getting bad here and no information. My neighbor has not in his small house 15 people and 3 dogs upstair and of course the toilet does not work. And all we get is that PR bs.

If she would that "we are sorry we messed it up and we have no idea how long it will need, but we try to improve the situation" she would have my sympathy.

I saw here: a group of policemen came to stay in the villa of a police boss to protect it (they just stay inside day and night)

I hear day and night the army and you can get somewhere on a truck to somewhere and back.

Once the Democrats came and brought some care packages. But complete without promotion. If the neighbor wouldn't know them we would not have recognized them.

Where is the government, where the police, where are all the red shirts?

"No Information" you make me laugh. unless of course you don't have a radio or television or you haven't been listening to the evacuation orders distributed via PA systems from local district offices. I rather think in the last month the evacuation orders in Bangkok have been very clear. The only trouble is that although the water has been coming for so long now, still some places are dry and people don't believe that it will eventually get there. They therefore believe the evacuation orders are a conspiracy to get people out of their houses so they can be robbed.

One can take it that you do not live in any of the affected area by your comment KiwiThai, or that your fluency in Thai is flawless ?

Members of my family we are curently accommodating were given little or no warning of the impending flood. Governmental help was as rare as hens teeth too.

Strangely enough these effected people are Thai so they would be able to understand any warnings if and when they actually came.