Two-Thirds Of Thai Cabinet Are Millionaires

waza

Industry Minister Wannarat Channukul claimed his car was worth BT.5000

I'd like to hope this was a typo in the report because there's a bloke down the road from me with a hand painted Nissan Cherry of biblical vintage and it's up for sale for 40000 baht. A friend of mine was offered 70000 baht by some water delivery guys for his knackered Toyota Mighty X that had been to the sun and back on the mileometer so Christ knows what sort of nail 5k baht would bring you!

Industry Minister Wannarat Channukul claimed his car was worth BT.5000

I'd like to hope this was a typo in the report because there's a bloke down the road from me with a hand painted Nissan Cherry of biblical vintage and it's up for sale for 40000 baht. A friend of mine was offered 70000 baht by some water delivery guys for his knackered Toyota Mighty X that had been to the sun and back on the mileometer so Christ knows what sort of nail 5k baht would bring you!

I don't think it was a typo - BP article 'Who's the richest of them all?' from 29th Sept if you fancy a google!

And the other third are Billionaires.................................... other mps must try harder!!!

Well, the introduction of obsolete western speed and red light cameras is sure to provide at least someone in office with a new house and a Merc replacement for his Toyota....This is the sort of innovation that should be applauded as politicians and bureaucrats strive to hit the Rich List.

Will do eff-all for road safety, but, <deleted>?

Only in a country as corrupt as this one could career politicians become millionaires...

Which brings up a question: Were they rich before entering office or did they only get rich after entering office? Democracy is only a word when rich and powerful families form what amounts to an aristocracy, control the media and convince the 99% that the 1% are working for them :) It will be interesting to see if the 99% of Thais who are getting screwed by the 1% finally wake up from their long coma and realize that changing "colors" does not lead to real change.

Well put... yes it is true that the wealthy tend to be the only ones with the time and resources to pursue a political life but there is no question that in Thailand as in AMERICA, UK and elsewhere politicians are lining their pockets. Only difference is that it is a bit more subtle in these western countries. i.e. politician takes care of oil or pharma company ensuring no new taxes, providing gov't subsidies,etc. A few years after the politician leaves office he is magically appointed to the board of the pharma or oil company and soon he will be swimming in per diems, trips and shares.

What has it got to do with us how much money Thai politicians make? Unless you have a right to vote in Thailand get on with your life and don't waste a minute bothering about it.

Well said, it amuses me why people who don't have a right to vote or change things waste their time getting worked up about it.

Does it really affect your life if a politician is rich or not in a country where you don't have ANY say in what goes on?

This is not the result of a study, but.............The figures were released by Thailand's corruption watchdog, the National Counter-Corruption Commission, and included assets belonging to the 36 ministers. It is mandatory for cabinet members to register such assets with the organisation.

Other interesting facts are............

The PM declared a total amount of net assets of 541 million baht, including seven Hermès handbags, with the most expensive one worth 350,000 baht.

Three red shirts members are millionaires

I expect the red shirt chaps are into that almost but quite pyramid selling that the country loves so much. The rest of the politicians get so much post these days, a lot of it comes by special delivery under the desk and then sometimes, but not often they get a bonus for good work, every little helps!!!:rolleyes:

PS The Hermes handbags are from the old Royal Navy aircraft carrier? Thats probably why they ae worthso much!

What has it got to do with us how much money Thai politicians make? Unless you have a right to vote in Thailand get on with your life and don't waste a minute bothering about it.

Well said, it amuses me why people who don't have a right to vote or change things waste their time getting worked up about it.

Does it really affect your life if a politician is rich or not in a country where you don't have ANY say in what goes on?

We can always vote with our feet

SC

We can always vote with our feet

SC

:lol: I bet all the rich Thai politicians are quaking in their boots at the thought of all the big spending Farang packing up and moving on.