Chiang Mai Is No Fun Now

IssanFalang

Over the past few months the fun factor in Chiang Mai has gone way down. It is difficult for me to understand what is going on. The authorities seem to be focusing on the tourist areas. Every night there are patrols that come around and make sure all of the shutters are pulled down and no noise is coming from inside. Last night there was a huge sweep and everything was checked including who belonged to which motorbike parked on the street. Checkpoints are set up at many of the intersections.

For me it would be more understandable if this was happening in the whole city, but why only in the tourist area? The outcome is a large group of people who have used all of their holiday time and a great deal of money coming to Chiang Mai and now they have nothing to do.

I know some of the readers do not enjoy or patronize the entertainment venues and that is fine. The fact is for many people the late night entertainment is the reason they come to Thailand. I really believe the tourism will be greatly reduced if this continues. Tourists can always find another country to go to but the local people will be stuck and suffer the consequences.

On another post Spicy was mentioned. I heard the reason they had to move was because the block of buildings that housed their old location was sold about three years ago. The new owner wants to develop the site so when Spicy's lease ran out it was not renewed. The new location has many problems. Parking, neighbors, physical layout, I can not see it ever being what it once was.

I guess the only thing we can do is be optimistic and hope things improve.

Well I could be wrong and probably am but maybe that is what they are trying to do.

Make the city more attractive to tourists than sex starved drinkers.

Might be that they are looking to make Chiang Mai attractive to all people.

Not sure where you come from but where I come from the drug,sex and alcohol scene is not thought about for Chiang Mai. As a matter of fact I knew several importer who talked of Chiang Mai it was a combination of business and holiday and neither one had to patronize a dive to enjoy it Those people think of Bangkok or Pattaya.

For a new comer you sure have a lopsided view of Chiang Mai.

Get out and look around you will find many things to see and do and people who don't need the bars to enjoy life.

I agree in that Chiang Mai is a bit more geared towards the family holiday-ers and there is more money in catering to the families that the sex-pats too.

However, I think this is more of the normal cycle of Chiang Mai. Every year there is the "crackdown" just before the high season. Then during the true high season, almost anything goes. You'll hear about 1 or two police visits and you'll see the helmet stops, but overall not much a bother.

Well I could be wrong and probably am but maybe that is what they are trying to do.

Make the city more attractive to tourists than sex starved drinkers.

Might be that they are looking to make Chiang Mai attractive to all people.

Not sure where you come from but where I come from the drug,sex and alcohol scene is not thought about for Chiang Mai. As a matter of fact I knew several importer who talked of Chiang Mai it was a combination of business and holiday and neither one had to patronize a dive to enjoy it Those people think of Bangkok or Pattaya.

For a new comer you sure have a lopsided view of Chiang Mai.

Get out and look around you will find many things to see and do and people who don't need the bars to enjoy life.

I wonder how many percent of the tourists made up of the family type in Amsterdam.

I was in Zuhai, a coastal city of China that you can walk across to Macau, a few years ago. There were many prostitutes of different nationalities mostly Chinese and Russians. I liked the city very much. Very scenic, clean, cheap with wide roads. Wish I had bought a house there. Now I can't afford it. I guess one of the reasons I didn't buy one was my wife would raise hell with me if she ever saw all the prostitues . This time around, I'm glad she never walked toward the moat on Loh Kroh when we stayed at hotels in the night bazaar.

Edited by muchogra

probably more of a shake down than a crack down

but hopefully chiang mai will be not more prudish as it is now

families and couples aren't either -only some people

generally the ones the go to loi kroh just to point their finger at it.

why don't they go to a temple instead and talk to a monk.

now there is an idea.

rolleyes.gif

it will take years to understand chiang mai where to go and what to see..what will be open late etc.people will not give that info out to easy

Um, all you need to do is ask, when out and about. 'So it seems this place is closing at 1; where's good to go after that?'

That doesn't take years, and works in Chiang Mai, Bangkok or any other non-dead Thai town.

The authorities seem to be focusing on the tourist areas.

Maybe that's where shady people hangs around ? :rolleyes:

My theory is that all the sexpats that would normally frequent Bangkok's lucious places, have come to Chiang Mai, because of the floods. The police have followed in order to get out of doing any flood relief work.

The authorities seem to be focusing on the tourist areas.

Maybe that's where shady people hangs around ? :rolleyes:

My theory is that all the sexpats that would normally frequent Bangkok's lucious places, have come to Chiang Mai, because of the floods.

I wish that was true. ;)

Might be true for Pattaya and Patong though.

Uhhhh....."IssanFalang".....1st post, already an expert on CM. Every night there are patrols????

I have always found it interesting to read comments made by forum "old timers" who think that because another poster has just joined or has limited posts, that the opinions/remarks of those posters is somehow less relevant because they are new to the forum. I wonder if it has ever crossed the old timers' minds that maybe the "newbies" might been in Thailand for some time, actually have a life outside the forum, don't post very often and may even have something sensible to say.

I hear there's a new police chief in town and this will probably have a lot to do with it until the "roles" are figured out.

Have to be honest, I had the "in" last night at a "closed" bar and it was rather strange shooting darts and playing pool with the doors slammed shut, and the overhead doors pulled down, barkeep constantly looking out of the little slats to be sure the police aren't around. I even got shushed from time to time. (Can't be loud shooting darts at midnight in a bar nowadays, I SAY)

It was 12:30 a.m... That's not that late, but everything was on lock down. I have friends who like to frequent certain tourist bars for dancing and I hear everything that way has been shut down - nothing past midnight.

Uhhhh....."IssanFalang".....1st post, already an expert on CM. Every night there are patrols????

I have always found it interesting to read comments made by forum "old timers" who think that because another poster has just joined or has limited posts, that the opinions/remarks of those posters is somehow less relevant because they are new to the forum. I wonder if it has ever crossed the old timers' minds that maybe the "newbies" might been in Thailand for some time, actually have a life outside the forum, don't post very often and may even have something sensible to say.

That had occurred to me but I read his post and it was written by some one who had a little knowledge about the bars in one area.

Not a word about Chiang Mai. About what you would expect from a newbie to Chiang Mai who was only interested in booze and sex.

what you would expect from a newbie to Chiang Mai who was only interested in booze and sex.

Well, he can have both untill 24.00 :D

From what time?

And does he have to break for those ridiculous 'no sale' times?

Edited by uptheos