Birthday Customs In Thailand

Longbow212

I was quite disappointed to find that my partner had not bought a present or card of any kind for my birthday. She has been a doting gf and done so much for me in many other ways so I am a bit surprised here. This is my first birthday when we have been together. I would like to hear from other peoples experiences regarding birthday celebrations etc.

Thanks

+1.

Some of my Thai friends go out for a meal on their birthday and pick up the tab themselves but that is it really.

My own Thai mother in law does not even know her own birthday!

Same here. My birthdays, I paid for the parties if i wanted one. No presents given to me.

On the other hand, if it is my g/f's birthday I am expected to buy a present :ph34r: The last (now ex) wanted 1 Baht gold necklace :blink: Not exactly equal rights :lol: No, she did not get it either.

They like to receive? Not give.

Treat them the same they soon learn. But keep in mind even when they have a job. They mostly earn very little and their money has to stretch a long way. I usually get gifts of little value from my G/F. But much thought.

jb1

Do not worry where I live it is all the same Farang gets no gifts.

But when it the GF then they expect a big big big big gift, also they like gifts for Xmas and New years

Anything that give for less than 10,000 you wii be called a Cheap Carlie

I'm guessing you met your 'girlfriend' in a bar? Phrase 'cheap Charlie' bit of a giveaway, together withe fact she 'expect' 'big big big gifts' on Christmas/New Year and quite possibly, their many, many 'birthdays'. It's what they have learned in their ADULTHOOD from working as hos.

Thais do not have 'birthdays'. Except for the King, and Queen. So grow the fck up.

Many years ago my wife, my stepdaughter and our maid were off for a holiday break in Phuket. We left Songkhla pretty early in the morning and planned on having a bite to eat in Trang before moving on to Phuket.

We stopped for this breakfast break in Trang and I ordered a Beer Sing Capoa (in the can) and my wife said "isn't it a bit early to be drinking", I said not when it's my birthday. Loss of face was pretty evident and the in ensuing years my birthday has not been missed.

I suppose it just depends on the sort of Thai people you know ,marry and mix with ,my wife always gives me a card with something loving written in it ,and a gift ,our landlady and the neighbours always bring a cake ,decent people ,also my wifes sisters always get me a christmas present.

If one has been with a partner here for some time and she/he does not buy a birthday card and or a small gift no matter how inexpensive or small it is then that person does not give a toss about you and is selfish and only out for themselves. Ive had a card and present every Christmas and Birthday for the last 3 years.

Another give away a little off topic is when the partner goes to the shop and doesn't ask you if you would like anything that's the sort of person I don't live with.

But when it the GF then they expect a big big big big gift, also they like gifts for Xmas and New years

I'm guessing you met your 'girlfriend' in a bar? Phrase 'cheap Charlie' bit of a giveaway, together withe fact she 'expect' 'big big big gifts' on Christmas/New Year and quite possibly, their many, many 'birthdays'. It's what they have learned in their ADULTHOOD from working as hos.

Thais do not have 'birthdays'. Except for the King, and Queen. So grow the fck up.

Just like you known the phase cheap Carlie so do I

Does cussing make you right in my mind you are a fool.

I guess you like to use the word hos. Are you afraid to use the word? According to most nut Doctors they will say you have not grown up, and have problems living as adult.

What is this Thais do not have 'birthdays, please read what you wrote

Good Day

Sometimes for fun I go out looking for birthday cards in Thaiscript to send to English friends and family. They're quite thin on the ground, last time I asked at Paragon and they found some after a few minutes' rummaging in the stock drawers.

In my experience it has been party for the kids with cake and the adults sitting around drinking and ignoring the kids. Never been to an adults birthday party and only occasionally have I even been told it was someones birthday.

Quite a mix of experiences here. My current gf has a decent job in a bank and has done well for herself but is not at all hi-so, I therefore do not think it is an accurate reflection of her socioeconomic group. She has bought me many little things and often brings sandwiches home and other thoughtful things - perhaps this is why I was so shocked and to be honest hurt at the fact I didn't recieve a card or gift. Perhaps it is an awareness of western culture etc - she has not had any exposure whereas my ex gf was highly educated, fluent in English and had a stronger awareness of western culture - she did buy me bday gifts.

My gf did ask me what I wanted to do today - I ended up just telling her I wanted to be alone - then left for my apartment alone, disappointed and somewhat confused. I should have just discussed it over with her. I guess that means I do not need to stress about buying her an expensive bday present!

If one has been with a partner here for some time and she/he does not buy a birthday card and or a small gift no matter how inexpensive or small it is then that person does not give a toss about you and is selfish and only out for themselves. Ive had a card and present every Christmas and Birthday for the last 3 years.

Another give away a little off topic is when the partner goes to the shop and doesn't ask you if you would like anything that's the sort of person I don't live with.

Correct comment. If your babe basically ignores your birthday, and you are the breadwinner taking care of her... Dump her and find another. The part about going to the shop is also correct. You are not in her mind at all.

Just like you known the phase cheap Carlie so do I

Does cussing make you right in my mind you are a fool.

Touched a nerve?I think Evanson knows what he's talking about.

I guess you like to use the word hos. Are you afraid to use the word? According to most nut Doctors they will say you have not grown up, and have problems living as adult.

What is this Thais do not have 'birthdays, please read what you wrote

Good Day

I'm just struggling to read what you wrote.

my wife took me shopping, bought me clothes, thent took me to my favourite restaurant and made me order all my favourite food.

then we went dancing, normal if they care i feel to.

perhaps some dont want to remind themselves of the massive age gaps 555.

even when I was skint and living with a bargirl in pattaya with just enough money to survive on she found the money to buy me a card and present...this was 10 years ago.

i'd do 2 things, 1 kick her into touch or 2, if her birthday is close by hold on and give her sweet fanny adams....possibly just pack her bag for her to clear off, on her birthday :whistling:

personally I wouldn't have the patience to hold out for the latter...