The Passport Rule...Being Enforced?

OldGringo

Regarding the nuisance law requiring foreigners to carry their passports at all times; does anybody have any recent experience?

I carry a color photocopy of my photo page and visa and entry stamp pages, hoping that will appease them if I'm stopped.

What I mean is local travel in and near the city. On longer trips I always take my passport and don't find it an inconvenience.

Are there fines involved? If so, how much?

Thanks for any word on this.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no such law or requirement.

The law says everyone must carry ID. If you are not Thai, almost anything with your photo is generally acceptable.Even a photocopy of your passport.

There was at one time and not so long ago. Maybe it's been changed. I hope you're right.

Thanks for the reply.

I have been coming to Thailand since the 1970s and have never been asked for my passport by a cop yet. I do carry a copy or on ocassion the passport if I will be changing money. Why worry about something that will probably not happen until it happens.

Edited by moe666

Believe the requirement is that you can produce it in a reasonable time. (about 1 hour). They can of course detain you tilll someone else shows up with your ID.

If it is wise to carry an ID depends of course on the situation. If you drive a motorcycle or car you should always have an ID-card with you, the driving license will be enough. In Chiang Mai it is unlikely you will be stopped by the police just to check your passport. But if you travel on the road, in certian areas there are police checkpoints, checking among others for foreign workers who want to leave the province without permisison. Normally Westerners are not checked, but ocassionally they do check your passport.

There is no such law or requirement.

The law says everyone must carry ID. If you are not Thai, almost anything with your photo is generally acceptable.Even a photocopy of your passport.

What law are you referring to?

A quote from a UK government web site: By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport upon request.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

I was in a songtaew in Mai Sai recently when it was stopped at a police road block in the town. There was only myself and a very pretty Asian girl onboard. A sergeant asked if she was with me and I told him no such luck. He then asked for my passport, which having just done a border run, I had with me. If you think they were just giving a farang a hard time that was nothing to the attention the poor girl got. He went through her bag, checked I.Ds., drivers licenses, counted her money and then took a photo of her, all the while questioning her. I though she must have been Burmese. After the songtaew was sent on its way I asked if she were Thai and she assured me she was.

A quote from a UK government web site: By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport upon request.

MSPain

And you think the UK government would know Thai law? or would they just translate 'ID card' to 'passport' to make their suggestion idiot proof?

MSPain

And you think the UK government would know Thai law? or would they just translate 'ID card' to 'passport' to make their suggestion idiot proof?

What law are you referring to? Or are you going by hearsay also? I was just giving a source, I know unverifiable as you indicate. I do think that a UK government site would certainly try to find out what is true and not go by hearsay.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

I know it's not Chiang Mai but my local immigration office, Kanchanaburi, told me that my drivers licence was sufficient id and that it was not neccessary to carry my passport at all times.

This being Thailand though suspect everywhere has their own 'rules'.

Personally I have only been asked for my passport once at a highway police checkpoint. Didn't have mine on me and was waved on. I have also never heard of anyone getting into trouble for not carrying their pp.

Edited by edwinchester

I know it's not Chiang Mai but my local immigration office, Kanchanaburi, told me that my drivers licence was sufficient id and that it was not neccessary to carry my passport at all times.

Personally I have only been asked for my passport once at a highway police checkpoint. Didn't have mine on me and was waved on. I have also never heard of anyone getting into trouble for not carrying their pp.

edwinchester,

Now that is something closer. Asking the actual Immigration. Also, as you say, it still is up to the particular official. If they ask for it and you don't have it what would happen. If the ask for and you do have it what would happen. You still have to do what they say.

I have never been asked for my passport where it wasn't needed for paperwork. I have shown a drivers license from the US when asked and it looked at and returned. A US drivers license is not strictly legal I don't believe, either. But if it works is great.

My question is still what is the law. I am just looking for my own knowledge.

MSPain

i never have been asked to show id or passport.but i do have a thai driving license just in case i have a accident

As I put in another post, I am not questioning what works. I would like to know what the "law" is, or what is correct. No other reason than just so I know. It still wouldn't matter if the particular official asked for something I don't have.

MSPain

Whether or not it's a legal requirement, I find it 'comforting' to have my passport with me; never know when I might need to buy a washing machine or report my wallet lost and draw cash on the bank card I keep with it.

In eight years, three full-time, I have never been asked for my passport other than in the usual circumstances (Immigration, hotels, major purchases, banking), but I do always carry it with me, in a waterproof holder around my neck where it can't be pick-pocketed or put through a washing machine. Of course, I don't spend much time hanging around 'tourist' areas.

The last time I left my passport in a 'safe place' (hotel reception safebox) a tsunami turned up and washed all the stamps out of it.

A couple of years ago the Bangkok post reported a pronouncement from Immigration that photocopies were unacceptable because they could be too easily altered. The passport itself must be on hand. But that was awhile ago and things change often here. Hopefully law abiding people won't be harrassed. If you have gold chains around your neck and an East European hooker on each arm, walking down Soi Cowboy, then I'd advise you to have your passport ready to show.

But that description doesn't fit you, Gringo, does it? So chill out, man.

edwinchester,

Now that is something closer. Asking the actual Immigration. Also, as you say, it still is up to the particular official. If they ask for it and you don't have it what would happen. If the ask for and you do have it what would happen. You still have to do what they say.

I have never been asked for my passport where it wasn't needed for paperwork. I have shown a drivers license from the US when asked and it looked at and returned. A US drivers license is not strictly legal I don't believe, either. But if it works is great.

My question is still what is the law. I am just looking for my own knowledge.

MSPain

See a immigration lawyer. You might get a better idea than asking here.

As you can see attitudes and experiences vary.:jap:

Hope some one can provide the Legal answer.

I always carry my Car and Motor Cycle licence and this has always been accepted by Law and Bank/Ampure Authorities/ National Park.

A Good attitude helps with any form of Authority.

john

Reminds me of a friend who has a bad attitude against the Thais and can't figure out why they re always hassling him.

Even with a passport they can give you a hard time.

Bottom line is it dosen't hurt a bit to have it with you and be nice.

Personally I just have a laminated copy of my passport, retirement visa and entry card.

MSPain

Yes, and I think I'd take that advice rather than some random dude on the net. It is the law here (they may want to see if you're overstaying, for instance), but like many other things is rarely enforced.

From TV:

"Thai Immigration can fine you for not having your passport, but a copy is better than nothing.

A good (color) copy in your wallet or bag should be enough.:

Title page (the page with your photo and personal data)

Visa page

Latest entry stamp

Immigration TM card"

As others, have it while moving about, but a copy and/or license when in one place seems hunky-dory.

The way I figure it, the odds of being asked for my passport in a situation where deleterious results apply should I fail to produce it within reasonable time are less than the odds that I'm going to lose the thing while out and about and then be asked for it and then not be able to produce it at all.

So I do photocopies. Black and white too, I like to live dangerously.

I don't see how that it is a legal requirement to carry your passport. I have travelled many time from CM to BKK on airplanes and have always just used my Thai driver's license. As stated above it indicates my passport number. If the airlines wouldn't require a passport, then I doubt that it is a legal requirement. As a tourist though I wouldn't take the risk. Travellling within the city locally or going out at night, I wouldn't carry it but if you are travelling anywhere outside I would. Police don't harrass tourists for passports unless you are doing something illegal

I was stopped at a checkpoint duriing a festival on my road. The Police asked me to show any form of ID after I told them I didn't have my passport as I was just going from my home to the corner store.

The new Thai driving licenses have your passport number imprinted near the bottom front, if that's any help to you.

.......and your address on the back.

I do also have a copy of my front page and retirement visa on the reverse, in colour, laminated down to wallet size.

They can tickle my tits til Christmas, but I'm not going to carry such an important item as a passport everywhere I go.

Hope some one can provide the Legal answer.

I always carry my Car and Motor Cycle licence and this has always been accepted by Law and Bank/Ampure Authorities/ National Park.

A Good attitude helps with any form of Authority.

john

That remark really sums it up in a nutshell. Be polite at all times!! I have driven all over Thailand in the last 25 years, and never carried my passport once. Luckily I have several other forns of Thai ID so never felt the need, I have been stopped on the highway more times than I care to count, and replying in polite Thai always wins the day. I never said it got me out of all the speeding fines though :whistling:

Also 25 years or so traveling and living in Thailand and leave it locked up unless I'm leaving the province then I have it locked in the hotel safe on arrival. I carry my Thai DL and my university photo ID and never been asked to present my passport except for the obvious places such as immigration and the labor department. Other times it may be requested is opening a bank account or purchasing something on finance such as a car.

I keep a copy in my car, my wallet and uploaded a scanned high resolution color version to my smartphone plus a copy on one of my secure servers. Perhaps overkill on availability but simple to do. The physical passport is always less than an hour away if they really need it.

MSPain

I saw a hippy type of looking guy get pulled by the bibs for not having his passport on him, they hauled him away. This was at Chatajack market ( excuse spelling )