The Passport Rule...Being Enforced?

OldGringo

The chief of police in Chiang Mai said last year that foreigners should not carry their passports with them at all times because of the danger of getting it stolen. I don't carry with me while in CM. When I venture out on CM, I carry with me. Never a problem in CM.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chief of police in Chiang Mai said last year that foreigners should not carry their passports with them at all times because of the danger of getting it stolen. I don't carry with me while in CM. When I venture out on CM, I carry with me. Never a problem in CM.

Very interesting to hear that the Police Chief of Chiang Mai has weighed in on this matter. Maybe we are close to getting a definitive answer.

The next time you have the Chief's ear, get him to tell you exactly what laws are on the books.

Until now, this thread has been nothing but opinion and speculation.

A diarroea of words on a subject that is as simple as it is important.

That is, does a Thai law exist that requires foreigners to carry their passports at all times?

It's easy to say "don't worry about it, no such law exists".

But many people over the years have been locked up until they were able to produce their passport.

The letter to the Bangkok Post which prompted the revival of this thread describes only the latest instance.

I can remember a magazine article some time ago where Purachai himself made reference to this and stated categorically that photocopies would not be accepted in lieu of the original passport because they were too easy to alter.

That being the case, it creates a climate of uncertainty and even fear during close encounters with the BIB.

Getting reliable information in Thailand has never been easy, but you would think that someone could find out for sure.

Same here. I would worry about carrying it everyday for fear of loss or theft. Not a huge problem if I loose my wallet or passport but to loose both would be a nightmare. I do carry it when traveling outside the province even on day trips.

The only times I have needed a passport outside immigration are on long distance buses that have been stopped. They asked everybody to get out their IDs while a police officer goes down the aisle and checks them but they have never actually bothered to open my passport.

Very interesting to hear that the Police Chief of Chiang Mai has weighed in on this matter. Maybe we are close to getting a definitive answer.

The next time you have the Chief's ear, get him to tell you exactly what laws are on the books.

Until now, this thread has been nothing but opinion and speculation.

A diarroea of words on a subject that is as simple as it is important.

That is, does a Thai law exist that requires foreigners to carry their passports at all times?

It's easy to say "don't worry about it, no such law exists".

But many people over the years have been locked up until they were able to produce their passport.

The letter to the Bangkok Post which prompted the revival of this thread describes only the latest instance.

I can remember a magazine article some time ago where Purachai himself made reference to this and stated categorically that photocopies would not be accepted in lieu of the original passport because they were too easy to alter.

That being the case, it creates a climate of uncertainty and even fear during close encounters with the BIB.

Getting reliable information in Thailand has never been easy, but you would think that someone could find out for sure.

This simple question has not been answered because:

1. Nobody knows.

2. Nobody cares.

3.Addressing every nuance of the subject except the point allows the topic to be prolonged until ended by fatigue or the MOD's. Whichever comes first.

4. Reluctance to return to the usual topics; burgers, pizza, cola, where to buy toothpaste, a hole in my sox, etc.

My own opinion, for what it's worth, is that no passport law exists.

But that's cold comfort for the hapless dudes who get pulled off the street now and then. And it does happen. Regardless of all the happy-talk you hear from the Pollyannas to the contrary.

Wherever you are your passport better not be too far away.

• Like 1

Two farangs were picked up from a Thai bar, not far from the moat, late this morning by immigration police. Neither were Australian so there could be no obvious reason for them to be hauled away. The problem was neither, one Dutch, one British, had their passports with them. The Dutchman, had a valid visa, but was taken to police cells for most of the day as immigration could not verify his visa on their computer as there was a three month backlog for Mae Sai visas. The Brit was not so fortunate - a long overstay. Despite the 20,000 baht fine being paid by a friend he has been kept in custody while his fate is being decided.

Two farangs were picked up from a Thai bar, not far from the moat, late this morning by immigration police. Neither were Australian so there could be no obvious reason for them to be hauled away. The problem was neither, one Dutch, one British, had their passports with them. The Dutchman, had a valid visa, but was taken to police cells for most of the day as immigration could not verify his visa on their computer as there was a three month backlog for Mae Sai visas. The Brit was not so fortunate - a long overstay. Despite the 20,000 baht fine being paid by a friend he has been kept in custody while his fate is being decided.

And if you are Australian is there an obvious reason to be hauled away? If so, pray what is it? Just wondering.

Otherwise, it's good to be getting hot news like this. It makes the Forum worthwhile.

Thanks.

And if you are Australian is there an obvious reason to be hauled away? If so, pray what is it? Just wondering.

Otherwise, it's good to be getting hot news like this. It makes the Forum worthwhile.

Thanks.

Old Gringo, deducing from previous posts, believes all Australians are contemptuous. Hence the reference.

My Dutch friend called me several times throughout the day about his predicament so my post is no rumour. I also spoke in person to two other friends who went to immigration to try and help their British mate.

A quote from a UK government web site: By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport upon request.

MSPain

And you think the UK government would know Thai law? or would they just translate 'ID card' to 'passport' to make their suggestion idiot proof?

Is this the same UK government that automatically cancels your passport when you apply for a new one and lets you walk around for 4 weeks with invalid ID until they get off their dead arse and replace it?

A quick update: A 1000 baht 'fine' for not carrying his passport and the Dutchman was released from the cells late this afternoon. His mate is still still in his cell.

Followed the advice, for living in Thailand, to keep photocopies of your passport, green book, and insurance papers hidden on your motorbikes at all times. Using one of those plastic shipping stamps, covered with tape, hidden behind a panel kept the paper work in good condition was done just for piece of mind. It was also suggested to hide a few thousand baht notes that way too, but I'm not admitting to that. Keep a passport copy in the truck, and it was shown once on the way to Mae Sai - I was driving to but not crossing the border that day.

Just removed it for the first time in 4 years as I changed my insurance provider, having found that all the time spent riding near the border areas that a Thai drivers licence was sufficient. Having asked this question often in my first year here found that only a small percentage of expats carry there actual passport with them. A great percentage than those that carry there original passport suggested memorizing your passport number instead. Is that helpful in any way, beside for checking into a room?

I think everyone is worried about something that will probably not happen unless you are not causing trouble or doing illegal things. As pointed out the driver's license has your passport number on it. Those living here any length of time will more than likely have a valid license for car and motorbike.

Never ask in over 14 years of living here. Even when stopped once by policeman directing traffic, never ask for it. Use the driver's license for everything here including all my banking. If you don't have a legit license, it would be worthwile getting one for the ID.

How many times do you see a motorbike policeman stop anyone on the road breaking the rules, or driver's without license.

Edited by Lifer

Put an end to these inane posts and let the thread go dormant again until the next person gets locked up for not being able to show their passport.

The fact that the Dutchman was fined ["fined"] 1000 baht for not having his passport on him suggests that there may indeed be a law to that effect.

But to find out you would have to inquire somewhere other than Thai Visa.

• Like 1

Small update.

In CM last week, one of my pals (the Dutchman) was arrested and held by immigration, for not having his passport with him.

He was held in jail one day until a friend could retrieve his passport from his room, he was then fined 1,000bht despite his passport and Visa being in order.

Bit of a surprise for many of us!

His British pal, is still in jail one week later awaiting a deportation order.

Immigration apparently had a 'photo' of the British guy, and were looking for him following some sort of complaint.

The Dutchman was collateral damage.

Edited by ludditeman

And of course there is more to this story than mentioned above. I don't think they were "picked up" at random.

And of course there is more to this story than mentioned above. I don't think they were "picked up" at random.

Yes; I was thinking the same thing and it seems that the Brit was on a wanted list for some reason. Maybe somebody grassed him for not being pukka?

I now carry a laminated copy of my passport with me whenever I am out and about in Thailand, for ID purposes, (don't carry the original since it was stolen from me one time).

Also very handy...In chiang mai last week I gave them my laminated copy of the passport and 3000 baht deposit each time I rented a scooter.

As I posted, they had a photo of the Brit, so were seeking him.

The other guy was picked up because he was sitting with him.

So, if the Brit was "wanted". Why was he hanging around in a farang bar? Stupid, if you ask me.

So, if the Brit was "wanted". Why was he hanging around in a farang bar? Stupid, if you ask me.

He wasnt in a farang bar, they were drinking in a thai lao kao place at 10bht a shot. And he didnt know he was wanted either.

posted using galaxy tab

Edited by ludditeman

He wasnt in a farang bar, they were drinking in a thai lao kao place at 10bht a shot. And he didnt know he was wanted either.

posted using galaxy tab

The Brit was more than a 43 day overstay. It seems an ex-girlfriend didn't like the presence of new girl friend and 'grassed' him. The poor Dutch bloke was just collateral damage - it cost hime 1000 baht for not having his passport with him. He says he got an official receipt.

Meanwhile Brit is slammed up in the police cells awaiting deportation. Apparental this could take another 2 to 3 weeks. Not a comfortable experience. He spends his whole time in a cell about the size of a small shipping container with up to 25 other prisoners - no benchs, just mats on the floor. He has only been outside the cell once for a court appearance.

The new Thai driving licenses have your passport number imprinted near the bottom front, if that's any help to you.

I never noticed that before. Actually it's on there twice, once in the Thal language section and once in the English language section and has a 3 number prefix. Good tip.

Brit is slammed up in the police cells awaiting deportation. Apparental this could take another 2 to 3 weeks.

Could take a lot longer than that. First he has to get out of CM and will likely be sent to the BKK immigration detention center, another jail, then have to get out of there. They deport him only if he can get himself airline tickets.

Brit is slammed up in the police cells awaiting deportation. Apparental this could take another 2 to 3 weeks.

Could take a lot longer than that. First he has to get out of CM and will likely be sent to the BKK immigration detention center, another jail, then have to get out of there. They deport him only if he can get himself airline tickets.

The Brit now has money available for ticket back home. He also has to pay for return ticket of his guard to Bangkok unless he can find an international flight to UK out of Chian Mai. Any suggestions?

As for having a driver's licence for identification. It didn't work for the Dutch fellow although he had one. Immigration looked up visa data from Mai Sai, found it had not been updated for 4 months, and put him in cell until his passport was sighted.

The Brit now has money available for ticket back home. He also has to pay for return ticket of his guard to Bangkok unless he can find an international flight to UK out of Chian Mai. Any suggestions?

Does he want to go back to the UK?

In the past, it was sometimes possible to just fly out of Thailand without a requirement that the destination was home. Might delicately check this out and see if the Immigration Police will let him fly to KL or Singapore. 0r fly there with a connection on to UK from there. If so, get a ticket that would be mostly refundable if he was "unfortunate" and missed his connection there. (it would probably be two tickets on different airlines anyway) Then he would at least avoid BKK and all the things that could happen there, like being in jail again even if he has the onward tickets, yes it has happened.

The new Thai driving licenses have your passport number imprinted near the bottom front, if that's any help to you.

I never noticed that before. Actually it's on there twice, once in the Thal language section and once in the English language section and has a 3 number prefix. Good tip.

It's on there until you get a new passport. Then your OLD passport number is on your DL.