German Shepard (Gsd)

I am looking to get a dog next year sometime, and i would like to get a GSD. I had one when i was a child and have always wanted to get another.

I have had Dogs and cats for most of my life, i know that a GSD needs lots of care, training and mentoring, i believe i am able to provide this :)

So i would liek to kick off my search, i understand this may take some time, i am not in any rush to get one and am prepared to spend some time to find a good breeder, take some time to get to know the dogs and wait for the next littler of pups.

I have googled around have not really found much of any use, i was wondering if anyone here has any details or contacts that might help.

Thanks in Advance! :jap:

Your google search may have better results if you spell the breed name correctly. It is a German Shepherd Dog. I found this which should possibly steer you in the right direction.

German Shepherd Dog Association of Thailand

Categories: Company in Thailand > Associations & Chambers

Address: 7 Soi Phahon Yothin 5, Phahon Yothin Rd., Sam Sen Nai, Phaya Thai, Bangkok 10400 Thailand See map from http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/company-in-thailand/listing/german-shepherd-dog-association-of-thailand/7863/

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link, the classified sites were not helpful but the link to the GSD Association is interesting, i will contact them.

Thanks for your help, apologies for my lousy spelling :)

Like you I have always been a fan of the GSD. Grew up with them and nearly always had one as a family dog, you can't beat them on that score.

Out in Thailand they do take a lot more looking after on the health side though. They don't, similar to many pure breeds, have the ability to shake of so easily the problems that don't seem to bother Thai dogs, vet's bills out here are not too cheap. A few years ago I gave away 4 dogs that my shepherd fathered with a thai dog and those pups grew up nearly as big as him and each one is now the top dog in the areas they went to. Tough as nails with all the fathers good nature side. I have a female GSD at the moment and am looking for a male to get some pups but am seriously thinking about maybe using a good thai dog to do stand in if I can't find a GSD male. If I find a good male I will keep you in mind.

Thanks for the link, the classified sites were not helpful but the link to the GSD Association is interesting, i will contact them.

Like you I have always been a fan of the GSD. Grew up with them and nearly always had one as a family dog, you can't beat them on that score.

Out in Thailand they do take a lot more looking after on the health side though. They don't, similar to many pure breeds, have the ability to shake of so easily the problems that don't seem to bother Thai dogs, vet's bills out here are not too cheap. A few years ago I gave away 4 dogs that my shepherd fathered with a thai dog and those pups grew up nearly as big as him and each one is now the top dog in the areas they went to. Tough as nails with all the fathers good nature side. I have a female GSD at the moment and am looking for a male to get some pups but am seriously thinking about maybe using a good thai dog to do stand in if I can't find a GSD male. If I find a good male I will keep you in mind.

Thanks, appreciate it. Definitely looking for a pure bred GSD, will keep in mind what you say about shaking off problems tho :)

The Wife found they have bred pure white GSD's unlikely to find them inside Thailand i guess, but now shes nagging me to get one of them - lol

Thanks, appreciate it. Definitely looking for a pure bred GSD, will keep in mind what you say about shaking off problems tho :)

The Wife found they have bred pure white GSD's unlikely to find them inside Thailand i guess, but now shes nagging me to get one of them - lol

If you find an all white or all black before I do I will be pi--ed off :D

I know a thai family that have a GSD x bangkaew and he is a beautiful dog. Do not know why but he is a golden colour with the mane of a lion but as big as a GSD. A bit aloof but sound temperament.

I know a thai family that have a GSD x bangkaew and he is a beautiful dog. Do not know why but he is a golden colour with the mane of a lion but as big as a GSD. A bit aloof but sound temperament.

Where ? PM me

Cheers

please be aware of all the do's and dont's with owning a heavy coated dog in thailand and the commitments,there is plenty of info within this forum on my experiance of owning one and others have posted the dangers [heartworm] ect.and also the enviroment where you live.

please be aware of all the do's and dont's with owning a heavy coated dog in thailand and the commitments,there is plenty of info within this forum on my experiance of owning one and others have posted the dangers [heartworm] ect.and also the enviroment where you live.

That's why I mentioned the vets bills, a lot goes on heartworm and tick injections on a fairly regular basis.

They most definately need a good shaded area, preferrably tiled, to help keep them cool and continuous supply of cool clean water and a good bath every two weeks and a twice weekly check in between the toes for ticks especially after being out in areas where local dogs are. A good rinse down if they like to swim in the sea etc. Could go on but I'm sure you get the picture.:)

our vet calls every 2months for heartworm inj.and worming tabs every 4months,we change our dogs water 4times a day which comes from the fridge and has a fan on 24/7,we also powder him every time after a bath.walked at 6am and after the sun has gone down.so please consider all the info on this forum before getting a gsd.

hi,heart worms come with mosquitos.Blood parasites come with ticks.I am doing dog farm in thailand for 3 yrs now and after a big battle i won the game against ticks.And GSD rottweiler and dobermans are too weak again intestinal infections.i highly recoment to spray bayticol around the house.you can use it on ur pet also.it works.

Thanks for the advice guys, i do appreciate it... i'm not put off by it, i understand that they will need regular vet visits to keep them healthy.

We found a breeder now and have selected our dog, i'm gunna give him another week or two before we collect him, he's 9-10 weeks old right now, but i prefer to leave it as close to 12 weeks as possible, we gotta puppy-proof the house and garden now and get all the bits we need to welcome him home.

Thanks for the advice guys, i do appreciate it... i'm not put off by it, i understand that they will need regular vet visits to keep them healthy.

We found a breeder now and have selected our dog, i'm gunna give him another week or two before we collect him, he's 9-10 weeks old right now, but i prefer to leave it as close to 12 weeks as possible, we gotta puppy-proof the house and garden now and get all the bits we need to welcome him home.

They reckon 7 weeks is the best age now. No doubt it will be a different age next year.

@overherebc I sent you a pm.

hi,heart worms come with mosquitos.Blood parasites come with ticks.I am doing dog farm in thailand for 3 yrs now and after a big battle i won the game against ticks.And GSD rottweiler and dobermans are too weak again intestinal infections.i highly recoment to spray bayticol around the house.you can use it on ur pet also.it works.

what breeds do you 'farm'?

glad y have found what yr looking for,i agree with y 12-14 weeks taken from the mother is just about right,if he gives y the same pleasure ours does you will look forward to every day.

Hi everyone, just came across this thread and read it with interest!

I bought a German Shepherd in 2002 in a dog farm in Phetchaburi, the owner supplied GS's to the army, bought him when he was around 3 months old, he came with his certificate of breeding/pedigree and had a tattoo in his inner ear of his breeding number, he already had the name 'Whisky' when I bought him which I rather liked!

The main issue we had was when he got a bad ear infection which had to be repeatdly treated by the vet in Hua Hin and ended up with him performing an operation to remove an abscess from his ear, this affected his balance for a few months and was quite sad to see, rhe vet suspected he kept reinfecting himself by going into the swimming pool we had. Over time this cleared up but ended up in him having 'drooping ears', a small price for his health though.

Most afternoons we give him a shower to help cool off, of late his coat has started to thin out but through the years he has always mainained a healthy coat, it is possible in the heat.

Nowadays he likes to take it easy and is showing his age but he's been a great dog and was always protective of my daughter growing up.

I think as mentioned in earlier posts regular injections by a reputable vet is essential, its also important to give them a balanced diet and try to limit the 'gai yang' snacks that he would otherwise have lived on.

Best of luck, they really are a beautiful dog to keep!

1320686086[/url]' post='4830239']

Your google search may have better results if you spell the breed name correctly. It is a German Shepherd Dog. I found this which should possibly steer you in the right direction.

German Shepherd Dog Association of Thailand

Categories: Company in Thailand > Associations & Chambers

Address: 7 Soi Phahon Yothin 5, Phahon Yothin Rd., Sam Sen Nai, Phaya Thai, Bangkok 10400 Thailand See map from http://www.bangkokpo...-thailand/7863/

Hope this helps.

I am member of the GSDAT. I agree that It would be the best way to start finding a puppy from the breeder list and breeding records that they have at GSDAT office. You just need to ask someone to help you communicate in Thai and depends on where you are. So you would be able to visit the breeder. GSDAT is a single breed association, different from another association(an all breed one). GSDAT has stricter rules that need members to comply such health check, tatoo, and working ability.

This is a copy of a post I have written before on TV in response to a similar question. I would also recommend picking up the pup at around 8 weeks old.

2011-07-21 02:47:11

It would not be worth considering a long haired or short haired GSD especially in Thailand. In Australia, as an ethical breeder you don't breed from long haired, short haired or white GSD as they are faults, even though some of the public liked them and often you would see them selling for more in the newspaper than what you would pay for a GSD of a good standard with breed survey, hip x ray etc, through an ethical breeder in the GSD club.

A GSD should have a double coat, both an undercoat and outercoat. They were originally breed from a variety of German sheep dogs, some with long coats, others with short coats. The long and short coats are just a throwback to the original stock. Considering the working heritage of the GSD breed, there are valid reasons for considering some coats faulty.

The accepted standard coat is the most maintenance free and weather resistant. This is why it is the preferred coat type and was the only type allowed under the standard. When I was in the GSD club in Australia there was talk of some countries possibly allowing long haired with undercoats to be breed and showed. While writing this, I thought I would do some research and found this very interesting site. http://www.aboutgermanshepherddog.com/page.php?page_id=60 So now since 1st Jan 2011 long haired are recognized if they have an undercoat, but can't be breed to one with standard stock hair length.

A short coat, also known as a "close coat" or "mole coat" usually has little to no undercoat, which reduces insulation against heat and cold and less water resistance, which are important to a dog working outside in all sorts of weather.

The true long coat usually doesn't have an undercoat. This fault can allow the dog to get sunburn and it also reduces its water resistance and insulation properties. Plus, the long outer coat is more prone to matting, picking up burrs, etc...

The bias against coats is not some nitpicking . It is respect for the breed standard. The coat requirements of the breed standard are not there just for some arbitrary reason or because someone thinks they look trendy. They are there for a very good reason when we consider the origin, heritage and purpose of this breed.

There are many more things to think about when buying your GSD such as temperment, hip dysplasia, etc but most importantly is socializing, feeding getting all its shots from the vet and training your pup correctly.

The worst place to purchase a pure bred dog would be somewhere like Chatuchak market as dogs that end up here are not only normally bred in factories that pump out as many dogs as possible, with no concern for the quality, or welfare of the parents or puppies, but may be cross bred. They also would have a lot more chance they have come into contact with distemper or some other disease that will kill or effect the dog for life.

Edited by aussiebrian

This is a copy of a post I have written before on TV in response to a similar question. I would also recommend picking up the pup at around 8 weeks old.

It would not be worth considering a long haired or short haired GSD especially in Thailand. In Australia, as an ethical breeder you don't breed from long haired, short haired or white GSD as they are faults, even though some of the public liked them and often you would see them selling for more in the newspaper than what you would pay for a GSD of a good standard with breed survey, hip x ray etc, through an ethical breeder in the GSD club.

A GSD should have a double coat, both an undercoat and outercoat. They were originally breed from a variety of German sheep dogs, some with long coats, others with short coats. The long and short coats are just a throwback to the original stock. Considering the working heritage of the GSD breed, there are valid reasons for considering some coats faulty.

The accepted standard coat is the most maintenance free and weather resistant. This is why it is the preferred coat type and was the only type allowed under the standard. When I was in the GSD club in Australia there was talk of some countries possibly allowing long haired with undercoats to be breed and showed. While writing this, I thought I would do some research and found this very interesting site. http://www.aboutgerm....php?page_id=60 So now since 1st Jan 2011 long haired are recognized if they have an undercoat, but can't be breed to one with standard stock hair length.

A short coat, also known as a "close coat" or "mole coat" usually has little to no undercoat, which reduces insulation against heat and cold and less water resistance, which are important to a dog working outside in all sorts of weather.

The true long coat usually doesn't have an undercoat. This fault can allow the dog to get sunburn and it also reduces its water resistance and insulation properties. Plus, the long outer coat is more prone to matting, picking up burrs, etc...

The bias against coats is not some nitpicking . It is respect for the breed standard. The coat requirements of the breed standard are not there just for some arbitrary reason or because someone thinks they look trendy. They are there for a very good reason when we consider the origin, heritage and purpose of this breed.

There are many more things to think about when buying your GSD such as temperment, hip dysplasia, etc but most importantly is socializing, feeding getting all its shots from the vet and training your pup correctly.

The worst place to purchase a pure bred dog would be somewhere like Chatuchak market as dogs that end up here are not only normally bred in factories that pump out as many dogs as possible, with no concern for the quality, or welfare of the parents or puppies, but may be cross bred. They also would have a lot more chance they have come into contact with distemper or some other disease that will kill or effect the dog for life.

let's hope tekinsabana is an ethical breeder

hi bangkaew

please welcome to my kennel if you like to see with your eyes.i dont want to advertise myself here but whom wants to travel for a weekend can come my kennel and picnic here.i am only 1 farang here and happy to see new friends around.

The accepted standard coat is the most maintenance free and weather resistant. This is why it is the preferred coat type and was the only type allowed under the standard. When I was in the GSD club in Australia there was talk of some countries possibly allowing long haired with undercoats to be breed and showed. While writing this, I thought I would do some research and found this very interesting site. http://www.aboutgerm....php?page_id=60 So now since 1st Jan 2011 long haired are recognized if they have an undercoat, but can't be breed to one with standard stock hair length.

hi bangkaew

please welcome to my kennel if you like to see with your eyes.i dont want to advertise myself here but whom wants to travel for a weekend can come my kennel and picnic here.i am only 1 farang here and happy to see new friends around.

would love to buddy but live in Phuket! You should do a youtube video...

Well i picked up my pup on Saturday. In the end we found a reputable breeder who loves his dogs and also has a show winner for a mum, the male dog was imported from Germany and the female born and bred in Thailand. We got the pink Pedigree which i understand is a Thailand recognized one only. That's good enough for me. We took him down to our vets right away and she checked him over, hes strong healthy and in good shape!

The pup (Odin is his name) is a total charmer, hes the most relaxed and polite puppy i have ever known. Hes been with us for 4 days and has already made friends with one of my cats, learned where in the yard he should pee and poop, hes on the way to learning Sit, Stay and Come and is already very faithful never wanting to go too far from my side. Hes still a bit nervous to walk far from the house, i can get to the top of my soi (about 50mtrs) before he refuses to go much further, hes total fine with a collar and a leash however. For now i just play with him in the yard nervous to take him too far until he's had all his jabs - hes still a bit young at 10-11 weeks.

post-116623-0-08144900-1322012744_thumb.

post-116623-0-57386500-1322012788_thumb.

Edited by MunterHunter

Well i picked up my pup on Saturday. In the end we found a reputable breeder who loves his dogs and also has a show winner for a mum, the male dog was imported from Germany and the female born and bred in Thailand. We got the pink Pedigree which i understand is a Thailand recognized one only. That's good enough for me. We took him down to our vets right away and she checked him over, hes strong healthy and in good shape!

The pup (Odin is his name) is a total charmer, hes the most relaxed and polite puppy i have ever known. Hes been with us for 4 days and has already made friends with one of my cats, learned where in the yard he should pee and poop, hes on the way to learning Sit, Stay and Come and is already very faithful never wanting to go too far from my side. Hes still a bit nervous to walk far from the house, i can get to the top of my soi (about 50mtrs) before he refuses to go much further, hes total fine with a collar and a leash however. For now i just play with him in the yard nervous to take him too far until he's had all his jabs - hes still a bit young at 10-11 weeks.

He's a cracker . Really hope all goes well with him.

A bit of both really... my motivation for getting a GSD was it was the breed of dog i grew up with, but this being Thailand i wanted to get a loud and big dog to guard the house. Still i want a dog to mess around with and go for long walks etc.

He barks when the doorbell rings and he barked at my cleaner when she came yesterday (until he got to know her, then he was as good as gold) so hes instinctively got it in him already, i do intend to socialize him to people and dogs as soon as possible, hes total fine with strangers outside of the house in the few people he has met outside.