Michael Jackson's personal physician convicted of involuntary manslaughter

News_Editor

Michael Jackson's personal physician convicted of involuntary manslaughter

2011-11-08 05:28:46 GMT+7 (ICT)

LOS ANGELES (BNO NEWS) -- A jury in California on Monday afternoon convicted Dr. Conrad Murray of involuntary manslaughter in the drug death of pop star Michael Jackson. He faces up to four years in jail.

Murray, 58, appeared exhausted but showed little emotion as the jury's verdict was read out in a Los Angeles courtroom. "We, the jury ..., find the defendant, Conrad Robert Murray, guilty of the crime of involuntary manslaughter," the court clerk said as she read out the verdict.

Jackson's sister La Toya screamed as she heard the guilty verdict. Cheering was also heard outside the courtroom where hundreds of Jackson fans had gathered. Supporters of Conrad who were hoping for a not guilty verdict had also gathered outside the court building.

Jackson, recognized by the "Guinness World Records" as the most successful entertainer of all time, died on June 25, 2009 at the age of 50. He was found unconscious in bed at his rented mansion in Los Angeles and was pronounced dead at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.

The Los Angeles County Coroner ruled his death a homicide, mainly caused by the powerful anaesthetic Propofol which was given to him by Murray, Jackson's personal physician. He was subsequently charged with involuntary manslaughter.

During the trial, which began on September 27, prosecutors argued that Murray was grossly negligent by administering Propofol to help "The King of Pop" sleep as he prepared for 50 concerts to be held at The O2 Arena in London as part of his major comeback.

Defense attorneys claimed Jackson gave himself the fatal dose of Propofol, but Dr. Steven Shafer, who wrote the drug's guidelines, told jurors it was impossible for the pop star to have caused his own dead by swallowing the drug.

Murray, who was taken into custody after the conviction, is scheduled to be sentenced on November 29. He faces up to four years in county prison and could also lose his medical license.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-11-08

I agree that Murray was negligent, but Jackson was drug addict of his own making and is responsible for his own death. It was not Murray's fault.

You agree Murray was negligent but not his fault he was negligent .......cheesy.gif

Its simple for me, did he administer the drug or not, yes, then he's guilty, as a licensed medical doctor he had a duty of care.

The man died whilst in his care. GUILTY !

Edited by CharlieH

I agree that Murray was negligent, but Jackson was drug addict of his own making and is responsible for his own death. It was not Murray's fault.

You agree Murray was negligent but not his fault he was negligent

It was not his fault that Jackson died. Jackson is responsible for using drugs in the first place.

It was not his fault that Jackson died. Jackson is responsible for using drugs in the first place.

Yes Jackson did drugs but that's not what killed him, the propofol killed him which was administered by Murray.

"caused by the powerful anaesthetic Propofol which was given to him by Murray"

Edited by CharlieH

Yes Jackson did drugs but that's not what killed him, the propofol killed him which was administered by Murray.

No. That's not what the court case was about. If it had just been the administration of propofol, then it would have been a murder trial and not involuntary manslaughter. Read the law, Penal Code 192( b ). In California if one accidentally kills someone in the commission of a dangerous act or an unlawful act that is not a felony, it is involuntary manslaughter. There was no intent to kill or harm Jackson. The negligence was the selection of the drug to treat Jackson's insomnia. Inappropriate off label use. The dangerous act was deemed to be the administration of propofol outside of an intensive care facility. Had the propofol been administered in a hospital room not equipped with appropriate monitoring devices, the act would still have been deemed wrong. Contributing factors to Jackson's death was that he was full of various benzodiazapines. The combination of those drugs with propofol was a recipe for death. Because the place where the propofol was administered was not equipped with a respirator, or heart monitor or recusitation equipment, let alone not staffed with specialized health professionals, it was also negligent to administer the drug. This doctor's medical malpractice insurance is going to pay out the full limit and the civil suit will clean Dr. Murray out.

If you want to read the toxicology report, it's here. http://cnninsession....ologyreport.pdf

Aside from the benzodiapines. Jackson's was relatively drug free. Keep in mind, that the autopsy showed he suffered from some very painful back and joint injuries. The man was in a lot of pain, both physical and emotional.

edited to get rid of a stupid smiley that shows when typing b )

Edited by Scott

Michael Jackson doctor found guilty

30169449-01.jpg

Los Angeles - Michael Jackson's personal doctor was found guilty on Monday of involuntary manslaughter in the singer's death following a six-week trial that captivated Jackson fans around the world.

Dr Conrad Murray had pleaded not guilty to giving the "Thriller" singer a fatal dose of the powerful anesthetic propofol, which was ruled as the main cause of the pop star’s June 25, 2009 death.

Prosecutors had argued Murray was grossly negligent in administering the propofol to help Jackson sleep. Defense attorneys claimed Jackson delivered the fatal dose of propofol to himself.

Murray, 58, did not testify at the Los Angeles trial. He was led away in handcuffs when the judge ordered him held in custody ahead of sentencing on November 29. he could face up to four years in prison.

Murray swallowed briefly on hearing the verdict but otherwise looked impassive. Outside the court, more than 100 Jackson fans erupted in cheers.

The jury deliberated for about nine hours before reaching its unanimous verdict.

Jackson was found lifeless at his Los Angeles mansion on June 25, 2009, age 50, about three weeks before he was scheduled to begin a series of concerts in London aimed at returning the pop star to the limelight.

Paramedics tried to revive the singer and rushed his body to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. His death was ruled to have come from an overdose of sedatives and propofol, which is normally used in surgery.

Murray admitted giving Jackson a small dose of propofol to help him sleep. But his lawyers argued at the trial that the singer was dependent on the drug and that Jackson likely gave himself a extra, fatal dose of the powerful anesthetic, as well as swallowing a handful of sedatives, without Murray’s knowledge.

Prosecutors argued Murray was guilty of gross negligence for administering the powerful drug in a home setting, failing to monitor Jackson, delaying calling emergency services, and failing to tell medical personnel he gave the singer propofol.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-08

Is this a face that really gives a Fxxxx

Try as hard as I might to find some empathy at the death of a human being - and I do feel sorry for those who loved him - I can't get away from the feeling that the death of another numbnut self-abusing celebrity is a good thing for society as a whole to witness.

The US is rife with people who don't take responsibility for themselves or their actions. The same sorts of people who are so quick to blame others for their own failings.

As you may have guessed, I would make an awful counselor for drug addicts. whether the addictive drug was ciggs, alcohol, caffeine or whatever weird stuff Jackson was injecting in to his bloodstream.

The nanny state known as the US, with most of its population addicted to federal handouts of one sort or another, will erupt with violent protests (and worse) when some of those handouts start to get cut. It will make Greece and Italy look like a sorority party. Sorry to get off topic, but it fits in a warped sort of way. I'm an American, btw.

Let's stay on the topic.

Unlike the average run of the mill drug addict, this is guy who actually hired a doctor to assist him with a rather specific problem of sleep.

I don't think he deserved to die, or planned to die.

Sad for his family and his fans.

I`m glad one of them finally got convicted. He took an oath, and he violated it to keep the money flowing.

I will apply dietic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice.

I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody if asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.

From The Hypocratic Oath

Propofol is not meant for sleep. I would guess that Jackson was more interested in its euphoric properties.

It has been reported that the euphoria caused by propofol is unlike that caused by other sedation agents, "I even remember my first experience using propofol: a young woman who was emerging from a MAC anesthesia[8] looked at me as though I were a masked Brad Pitt and told me that she felt simply wonderful." C.F. Ward, M.D.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propofol

This is only meant for use in anesthesia and [administering it as a sleep aid] it's like giving someone chemotherapy so they don't have to shave their head," said veteran anesthesiologist Dr. John F. Dombrowski

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1615103/what-propofol-why-was-michael-jackson-allegedly-using-it.jhtml

Edited by Ulysses G.

It's a question of ethics. Jackson wanted the drugs and was prepared to pay $100k a month to a doctor with loose enough ethics to administer them to him. Murray knew the risks to his patient and to himself but he chose to take the money. Now he is going to jail.

Some Posters here are really heartless in their posts.huh.gif

One, even want people, -all people-? better dead than to hear what they do, speak, sing or perform? 1934-1945 Europe?

Not possible to just not see it or hear it, must be dead, who fits not your style? post-4641-1156694606.gif

By the way, -canuckamuck- what did you achive in live that -maybe-? qualifies yourself to open your mouth so wide?bah.gif Can I find you in -WIKIPEDIA?post-4641-1156693976.gif

-cdnvic-

writes it right. The Dr. was greedy and did anything to keep his good paying-I assume, patient. At all cost, at all risk, even a possible death.