Savannakhet - Double Tourist Visa

I have noticed that many people are worried about where to get their next tourist visa. So hopefully the following information will help those people.

I just came back from Savannakhet with a friend and he applied for a double tourist visa at the Thai consulate there. His passport is filled with many previous tourist visas. He applied for a double tourist visa and no flight tickets or anything else was required. Turn around was 1 day.

So it seems that Savannakhet is the new place to go for those of you staying in Thailand on tourist visas.

Edited by Jimbo

Unfortunately, now that you've reported it on here it will only be so long before they put a lid on it - when hundred of applicants hit them up every week.

I see it slightly different. There always seems to be a consulate near Thailand which allows for easy visas. Its like they are on doing so on a rotational basis. Used to be Penang, then it was Vientiane, then it was PP and now its Savannakhet.

Anyway, I have found so much useful information in this section of TV that it I think it would be rather selfish to keep the information to myself.

I was there last March... Visa were still free but I was the only one inside the consulate, so lonely that I even thought for a moment that it was closed!

Application was done in less than five minutes.

Very friendly staff who even offered me a triple entry... which I politely refused because I didn't need it. cool.gif

Thanks for the heads up Jimbo, however, I'm amazed to hear it. Myself and friends have been experiencing difficulties at Savannahkett. We have both needed to apply for Non B visas for teaching and received a very stiff and unfriendly service from an extremely uptight young woman who refused the applications on grounds of insufficient documents. She has been demanding many more documents than are normally required for the Non B. She insists on seeing original copies of everything and refusing documents that have been signed or stamped incorrectly.

I don't (yet) speak Thai so I had a cover letter/note from my head of department offering assistance and saying that he'd be more than happy to phone them if there were any problems. This 'lady' threw the letter on the floor and refused to read it because it was "impolite" i.e. hand written. What's more, she's not very helpful when asked for a list of precisely what is required.

However, when she turns down the Non B she offers a 2 month TV instead... which considering you've just shown her a contract of work seems strangely lenient. Other applicants on the same day were turned down for TVs and had to accept 15 day passes at the border. So in our experience Savannakhett appeared to be offering single entry TVs to everyone apart from the people who had actually applied for them. All very stressful and expensive.

Unfortunately, now that you've reported it on here it will only be so long before they put a lid on it - when hundred of applicants hit them up every week.

I see it slightly different. There always seems to be a consulate near Thailand which allows for easy visas. Its like they are on doing so on a rotational basis. Used to be Penang, then it was Vientiane, then it was PP and now its Savannakhet.

Anyway, I have found so much useful information in this section of TV that it I think it would be rather selfish to keep the information to myself.

That's a very optimistic point of view. Let's hope you're right, but the problem is that once a place gets the green light for easy tourist visas thousands of Filipinos and other SE Asians who work here converge on the place. Right now, since Phnom Penh put the brakes on they have run out of options and they're doing 15 day border runs (others who can afford it get ED visas). Border officials have already been sending some home due to too many 15 days stamps. When a place opens up they're right on it because they have visa agents who make a lot of money servicing their needs.

Thanks for the heads up Jimbo, however, I'm amazed to hear it. Myself and friends have been experiencing difficulties at Savannahkett. We have both needed to apply for Non B visas for teaching and received a very stiff and unfriendly service from an extremely uptight young woman who refused the applications on grounds of insufficient documents. She has been demanding many more documents than are normally required for the Non B. She insists on seeing original copies of everything and refusing documents that have been signed or stamped incorrectly.

I don't (yet) speak Thai so I had a cover letter/note from my head of department offering assistance and saying that he'd be more than happy to phone them if there were any problems. This 'lady' threw the letter on the floor and refused to read it because it was "impolite" i.e. hand written. What's more, she's not very helpful when asked for a list of precisely what is required.

However, when she turns down the Non B she offers a 2 month TV instead... which considering you've just shown her a contract of work seems strangely lenient. Other applicants on the same day were turned down for TVs and had to accept 15 day passes at the border. So in our experience Savannakhett appeared to be offering single entry TVs to everyone apart from the people who had actually applied for them. All very stressful and expensive.

I don't know about Non B visas there. My friend got his double tourist visa without a problem and I talked to a few people when I was waiting for him and they also seemed to have gotten the double TV without a problem. Its not really surprising considering that getting a multiple entry Non O (for marriage) is also very easy there. (no proof of funds needed etc)

they also seemed to have gotten the double TV without a problem. Its not really surprising considering that getting a multiple entry Non O (for marriage) is also very easy there. (no proof of funds needed etc)

Unfortunately another TV thread today reports Savanakhet Consulate may now ask to see proof of 200k baht in a thai bank for any non-O visa: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/511240-update-on-o-visa-via-savannahkhet-laos/page__pid__4836530#entry4836530

I got a non-imm ED visa in Savannakhet a few weeks ago. There weren't many people there. The staff was considerably unfriendly. I had my copy of a payment receipt from my school and it wasn't part of the documents I needed to turn in. The worker saw this receipt and got upset because it didn't have a school stamp. It took a while to reason with him about it, and I tried to show him that another payment receipt with a stamp was provided by the school in the grouping. Finally he took my paperwork, put it with the other applications in a big sink in the back, and I picked it up the next day without an issue.

This thread is about getting a tourist visa in Savannakhet. It may be difficult to get a ED visa or non B visa.. I don't know.

But from experience, it is currently easy to get a double tourist visa there. And if I am not seriously mistaken, there are a lot of TV members looking for a consulate where they can get a double tourist visa.

they also seemed to have gotten the double TV without a problem. Its not really surprising considering that getting a multiple entry Non O (for marriage) is also very easy there. (no proof of funds needed etc)

Unfortunately another TV thread today reports Savanakhet Consulate may now ask to see proof of 200k baht in a thai bank for any non-O visa: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/511240-update-on-o-visa-via-savannahkhet-laos/page__pid__4836530#entry4836530

Not true in my case - Just renewed a 12 month multi-entry 'O' today in Savannakhet with no proof of funds requested.

Clive R.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about Non B visas there. My friend got his double tourist visa without a problem and I talked to a few people when I was waiting for him and they also seemed to have gotten the double TV without a problem. Its not really surprising considering that getting a multiple entry Non O (for marriage) is also very easy there. (no proof of funds needed etc)

Jimbo, was confirmed hotel reservations required?

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, now that you've reported it on here it will only be so long before they put a lid on it

What a pitiful, selfish attitude.

Not at all. Just a statement of fact. These places don't last long when they become overrun with applicants.

Merry Christmas.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious too. I'll be heading to either Savannakhet or Vientiane soon for my first try at a double entry visa. I'm a US citizen, here currently on my first 30-day visa exemption since I had a few visa exemptions 2 years ago. I'd rather go to Vientiane. I like riding the train and I know people there. But if the odds are that much better of getting the double visa in Savannahkhet, I'll make the trip there I guess. I'm assuming it's a better overall stay in Thailand strategy to get the double-entry visas when you can? If getting single-entries ends up giving you just about as much total time as getting doubles, I don't really mind a visa run every 90 days...

• 1 month later...

am also chasing info on a double entry visa from savannahket.

and any other info on getting there and staying etc.

thanks for any help.

vr.

same here. intending to go to suvarnakhet this coming weekend. any updates anybody? is it still double entry?

any info much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear All,

I would just like to inform you that from May 1st, we have launched a new Thai Visa Run Program to Savannakhet, Lao PDR. Our pricing is currently very competitive as we are looking to attract more expats living in Thailand to visit our Hotel & Entertainment Complex. We also provide VIP service assistance for Visa application and passport collection (in the majority of cases, we can go through the whole process on your behalf). The easiest way to join our program is to arrive at Mukdahan, where our welcome center is located. I won't bore everyone with the full details, as they are available at the following website: www.savanvegas.com/visarun should you be interested. There is also a contact form on that page if you have any questions for me.

Thank you and best regards,

Savan Vegas Hotel & Entertainment Complex.