Beer Drought Looming?

folium

From my experience, you can tell ROUGHLY how long a person has been in pratet Thai buy the beer they drink.

Chang - Backpackers and first time visitors.

Singha - Visitors that holiday here regularly or newbie 'expats'.

Leo - expats.

This is based on my observations over many years. Research mak mak!

So who drinks all the Heineken?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience, you can tell ROUGHLY how long a person has been in pratet Thai buy the beer they drink.

Leo - expats.

Hi-so Thais, but lets not let this drift off topic.

Leo - expats.

Hi-so Thais, but lets not let this drift off topic.

Awesome! Next time I take a walk down Sukhumvit at 2 am, I will know how to spot all these friendly Hi-so young ladies of the night.

Leo - expats.

You need more research. I started on Singha but now drink Chang. It's all about peoples personal tastebuds and not about what other people think. Mind you; Leo could be about price for hard up expats.

BTW......Why can't people spell MAKRO on this thread?

Cost could be part of the reason for it, but I know a fair number of expats and middle class Thais who drink it because that's what they prefer, Though Boon Rawd originally intended Leo as a lost cost beer to take on Chang in the marketplace, I suspect a fair amount of it's market share has come at the expense of Singha.

Leo - expats.

Is this the total sum of your thesis after many years of research? laugh.gif

Leo - expats.

Is this the total sum of your thesis after many years of research? laugh.gif

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Stocks of everything except large Leo, large Chang and Archa are in short supply. Tesco and 7/11 have a 'just in time' delivery policy (as Tesco do in UK) so they had very small buffer stocks and ran out quickly, Makro were'nt far

behind. As HeyBruce says their buying policies are inflexible. Rimping whose owner is on hand and able to buy from whoever can supply him, has the highest stock levels and of course the highest prices!!

Makro Mae Rim has now run out of San Mig Light in small bottles (I know because I bought the last 3 cases yesterday), but it still has a dozen or so large San Mig Lights.

Draught Chang which had disappeared was restored to us yesterday (but we're rationed to one barrel at a time!). Singha's main brewery is, I gather under water. I bought a dozen cases in Lamphun on Sunday,

so we're OK for a bit.

The Leo brewery in Khon Kaen, I gather only produces large Leo, again our friendly bottle shop in Lamphun came to the rescue! The latest problem is Coke. They didn't deliver yesterday and we had to go to a bottle shop in Saraphi to get it! Things aren't getting any better, we're Ok for most things for about a month, but I hope the trucks start rolling soon!

Leo - expats.

Holds about true as far as I'm concerned.... a very recent expat who prefers Singha, but now that I'm back to looking in the mirror its San Miguel Light for the most part.

BTW, Airport Tops as of 5PM yesterday had only Red Horse and I bought it all up (4 bottles). Only thing left now is non-alcoholic beer.

Stocks of everything except large Leo, large Chang and Archa are in short supply. Tesco and 7/11 have a 'just in time' delivery policy (as Tesco do in UK) so they had very small buffer stocks and ran out quickly, Makro were'nt far

behind. As HeyBruce says their buying policies are inflexible. Rimping whose owner is on hand and able to buy from whoever can supply him, has the highest stock levels and of course the highest prices!!

Makro Mae Rim has now run out of San Mig Light in small bottles (I know because I bought the last 3 cases yesterday), but it still has a dozen or so large San Mig Lights.

Draught Chang which had disappeared was restored to us yesterday (but we're rationed to one barrel at a time!). Singha's main brewery is, I gather under water. I bought a dozen cases in Lamphun on Sunday,

so we're OK for a bit.

The Leo brewery in Khon Kaen, I gather only produces large Leo, again our friendly bottle shop in Lamphun came to the rescue! The latest problem is Coke. They didn't deliver yesterday and we had to go to a bottle shop in Saraphi to get it! Things aren't getting any better, we're Ok for most things for about a month, but I hope the trucks start rolling soon!

but I hope the trucks start rolling soon! --- Not so quick!! I for myself will not drink any Thai beer ( or drinks ) that is not produced in the North or Northeast that were not effected by the floods for some time -- can you imagine the pollution , where do they get there water from - I'm going to wait and see as to how this unfolds!!

Earlier today I was wandering around Tops at Kaad Suan Kheaw looking for the beer section thought it had been moved, until I asked one of the assistants who replied that there isn't any !! All gone nowt left!

Later found some Beer Lao and Chang Export in a local (now top secret) bottle shop.

It's now every man for himself.. situation getting critical.. stock up from your secret sources.. things are going to get ugly..

Earlier today I was wandering around Tops at Kaad Suan Kheaw looking for the beer section thought it had been moved, until I asked one of the assistants who replied that there isn't any !! All gone nowt left!

Later found some Beer Lao and Chang Export in a local (now top secret) bottle shop.

It's now every man for himself.. situation getting critical.. stock up from your secret sources.. things are going to get ugly..

Presume assistant was a Geordie!

so we're OK for a bit.

Yes, I was in two bars yesterday that had run out of small Leo. They did have cans, though.

I guess they could refill small bottles from the big ones? May save some cost too that way.

I guess they could refill small bottles from the big ones? May save some cost too that way.

A few unscrupulous Thai Bars have been doing that for years :whistling: . You know the one's, they have a too good to be true 3 Bottles of Chang for 99Bt type promo. Easy to spot as the level of filling of the bottles varies :rolleyes:

A few unscrupulous Thai Bars have been doing that for years :whistling: . You know the one's, they have a too good to be true 3 Bottles of Chang for 99Bt type promo. Easy to spot as the level of filling of the bottles varies :rolleyes:

Oh. :( I like those places.. But aren't those usually big bottles? What would they refill those from, from draft barrels?

so we're OK for a bit.

but I hope the trucks start rolling soon! --- Not so quick!! I for myself will not drink any Thai beer ( or drinks ) that is not produced in the North or Northeast that were not effected by the floods for some time -- can you imagine the pollution , where do they get there water from - I'm going to wait and see as to how this unfolds!!

Booze is booze mate..........

But I do have my reservations about the orange juice on CX, I used to know a few of the flying chickens..

Best sterilised with a large vodka and some HK ice.

Went to superhighway Makro this morning. Seemed well stocked with beer to me. My personal stocks now are 3 cases of Chang Export, 3 cases of Chang Light, & 3 cases of Chang draught. And a 5 litre box of Mont Clair. Cheers :D Don't understand the p1ssing contest mentality of this thread & the one in the news forum. I like the beers I like, & if someone else prefers Leo, Singh, San Miguel, Chang classic etc, up to them. Everyone's taste is different.

Edited by MESmith

I went in to the Red lion last night and they are now selling Fuller's London Pride Bitter, a really nice drink. I had 6 pints last night and no hangover this morning. :D

I was there myself the other night for a chat with Kevin. Had a couple of London Pride 500ml bottles at very reasonable prices AND unbelivably, they've got London Pride Porter!! What a great drink!! staggered out very late!!

Kev, still has a few tricks up his sleeeve! Red Lion is still a great pub!!

Not to worry folks

My wife has found mew a good supply of Pepsi Max and Coke Zero

I couldn't sleep all night worrying about it. biggrin.gif

I drink them too and despite the floods, they seem to come and go for some reason.

Edited by uptheos

I went in to the Red lion last night and they are now selling Fuller's London Pride Bitter, a really nice drink. I had 6 pints last night and no hangover this morning. :D

I was there myself the other night for a chat with Kevin. Had a couple of London Pride 500ml bottles at very reasonable prices AND unbelivably, they've got London Pride Porter!! What a great drink!! staggered out very late!!

How much is "reasonable"?

Cheers

Oh. :( I like those places.. But aren't those usually big bottles? What would they refill those from, from draft barrels?

Yeah, it's putting who knows what in big bottles that I was referring to, not refilling small. It would be nice to think that all they were doing was using draft beer, but I wouldn't like to guess what's really in there. TIT afterall...... :whistling:

...... Kevin at the Red Lion (wash my mouth out am I allowed to say that on Thai visa?) has even got London Pride in that I assume is drunk by wealthy ex-pats, tourists and those wanting to show off laugh.gif

{redacted by Santisuk - yeah I know it's against the rules but my intent is to select not distort!}

...and occasionally perhaps by those expats who tire of the same old rubbish chemical concoctions brewed to a price by manufacturers who care nothing for the craft of brewing that is the standard drinking experience in Thailand :rolleyes:

Edited by SantiSuk

How much is "reasonable"?

Cheers

180 thb a pint but well worth it just to drink a decent beer.

...... Kevin at the Red Lion (wash my mouth out am I allowed to say that on Thai visa?) has even got London Pride in that I assume is drunk by wealthy ex-pats, tourists and those wanting to show off laugh.gif

{redacted by Santisuk - yeah I know it's against the rules but my intent is to select not distort!}

...and occasionally perhaps by those expats who tire of the same old rubbish chemical concoctions brewed to a price by manufacturers who care nothing for the craft of brewing that is the standard drinking experience in Thailand :rolleyes:

The "brewed to a price thing" is pretty universal. Despite all the talk by 300 lb British expats about the virtue of real ales,. Carling is the no 1 selling beer in England, Fosters is no 2, and Stella is no 3.

The "brewed to a price thing" is pretty universal. Despite all the talk by 300 lb British expats about the virtue of real ales,. Carling is the no 1 selling beer in England, Fosters is no 2, and Stella is no 3.

And that is why the market is in decline. Mouthwash passed off as beer is easy to swill down & easy not to. What we need is beers with character that form a bond with your taste buds. Oh yes, I got Beer Lao Dark at Rimping Meechok today but I think they were the last 6 bottles. Sorry.